Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 433 - AVS Forum
First ... 431  432  433 434  435  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
Chere's Avatar Chere 12:29 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Chad B said and verified that on my BD player, RGB was the best setting for color space on his test patterns and that with 1080p pure on they was a positive but subtle difference on test patterns.
With regular content I do not think you will see any difference with it on or off.
My BD player has no chroma settings

You've given me an idea smile.gif. When I go home tonite I'll change my Oppo 103D's setting to RGB and see if I see any difference in PQ. From the top of my head I know the Oppo has two RGB settings- Full and Limited if I'm remembering correctly. I'll make sure to try them both as well as the Pure Direct setting.

If anyone here who owns an Oppo (103 or 103D) and had their VT60 ISF calibrated- can you share what signal format (RGB or YCbCr) your Oppo is left on?

Gov's Avatar Gov 01:10 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

You've given me an idea smile.gif. When I go home tonite I'll change my Oppo 103D's setting to RGB and see if I see any difference in PQ. From the top of my head I know the Oppo has two RGB settings- Full and Limited if I'm remembering correctly. I'll make sure to try them both as well as the Pure Direct setting.

If anyone here who owns an Oppo (103 or 103D) and had their VT60 ISF calibrated- can you share what signal format (RGB or YCbCr) your Oppo is left on?

When Chad was here he told me Oppo's should not use RGB and that YCbCr is the correct setting
XBR11's Avatar XBR11 01:54 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I think you guys are over thinking this. Black tape will satisfy 99% of owners. Let's not confuse everyone even more.
But the 99% of owners never come to this forum. We are here for the 1%. The owners that want the best from their purchase.

That is why I suggest you try a Black Hole Air Gap, for the darkest blacks. Their 4" model is easily 0.000001 black level lower than that experienced using electrical tape. And it reduces annoying finger prints on the electrical tape.
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 02:00 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:

When Chad was here he told me Oppo's should not use RGB and that YCbCr is the correct setting

Dido from DNice - this is also true with the Kuros. Maybe I should clarify - when feeding them (Panasonic and Pioneer) via an Oppo. I have had at one time or another the 80, 83, 93 and now 103 hooked up to those two different displays (only the 83 and 103 with the Panasonic).
elmorage's Avatar elmorage 03:38 PM 02-18-2014
I am firmly in the camp of avoiding using another person's settings so I have been using THX Cinema exclusively since my VT arrived. I love the way the set looks but I want to switch over to one of the pro modes to use pixel orbiter. If I simply copy the THX settings one by one into another mode will it be the same image or is there something behind the scenes involved with using a preset THX mode that I can not reproduce?
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 03:45 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

I am firmly in the camp of avoiding using another person's settings so I have been using THX Cinema exclusively since my VT arrived. I love the way the set looks but I want to switch over to one of the pro modes to use pixel orbiter. If I simply copy the THX settings one by one into another mode will it be the same image or is there something behind the scenes involved with using a preset THX mode that I can not reproduce?
THX mode does not allow you into the advanced setting menu to see what is there so there really is no point to it.
fight4yu's Avatar fight4yu 04:16 PM 02-18-2014
after 100 hrs, I did another calibration with my VT60 internal, then with my Lumagen XD with a 5x5 cube.
It looks awesome! I am loving it.
It does have reflection during daytime, as I have large patio door directly opposite the TV, but nothing that can't be fixed by lowering my shades. I sometimes wonder how much better a ZT would help, but at $1600 for my VT60, I really can't ask for more.
BasementBob's Avatar BasementBob 06:34 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:

Well, I went out and bought black electrical tape and went at my VT60 with it. Taped every inch of the screen and the blacks are truly amazing now. Not OLED amazing but at least as good as a Vizio LED.
Of course I did not tape over the red power light, that would be sacrilegious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

I tried that, but the tape was too shiny, and it reflected the ambient light in the room, and I had very
noticeable horizontal black banding.
Have you considered rustoleum flat black?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letuch View Post

I've just purchased EyesShut™ black level expander. Works wonderfully. There's occasional noise though, but in general it works much better than black tape.

Seriously,
has anyone found anything to cover the VT60's silver border?

I don't want to use black electrical tape, as the glue would make a mess if I ever removed it.
I found Kidkusion Toddler Edge Kushions (B000MHIEYA), but they are not black enough.
XBR11's Avatar XBR11 06:47 PM 02-18-2014
Random thought...

If they can make a 3D tv that doesn't require wearing 3D glasses, why don't they make a tv that corrects for the need to wear glasses? Then a person could watch tv without glasses. And it would be razor sharp (assuming you sit at the perfect distance for the corrective visual) . Of course only one person could watch it at one time, so they would sell more tvs.

Why don't the tv manufacturers ever have these great ideas?
XBR11's Avatar XBR11 06:49 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Seriously,

I don't want to use black electrical tape, as the glue would make a mess if I ever removed it.
I found Kidkusion Toddler Edge Kushions (B000MHIEYA), but they are not black enough.
Fabric tape, craft tape, Washi tape.
yellowcanary73's Avatar yellowcanary73 07:28 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:

I guess I'm just getting old cause the silver boarder doesn't seem to bother me thought it might but I guess I'm just so involved in the great picture I don't pay attention.
Letuch's Avatar Letuch 07:31 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:

Seriously,

I actually had to look at my VT60 to see the border right now. Never noticed it that clearly until you've brought it up.
I don't believe tape will do the trick. It'll look alien. Paintspray perhaps?
Gov's Avatar Gov 07:51 PM 02-18-2014
The silver boarder is a non issue, it does not distract from viewing one bit.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 07:54 PM 02-18-2014
Agreed.^
johdtv's Avatar johdtv 09:19 PM 02-18-2014
Returned a ZT for a VT. I will say I prefer the ZT for the look and for the less reflective screen. It seems the VT reflects a lot more in my room even with curtains mostly closed. But in a controlled light setting it's been great and I usually watch tv in the evenings anyway.
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 09:42 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by johdtv View Post

Returned a ZT for a VT. I will say I prefer the ZT for the look and for the less reflective screen. It seems the VT reflects a lot more in my room even with curtains mostly closed. But in a controlled light setting it's been great and I usually watch tv in the evenings anyway.
Why the exchange?
ReyVGM's Avatar ReyVGM 09:44 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:

Why the exchange?

It's obvious, the blacks are better on the VT.

eric3316's Avatar eric3316 09:46 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post

Haha...
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 09:47 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post

eek.gif OK.
BasementBob's Avatar BasementBob 11:47 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I guess I'm just getting old cause the silver boarder doesn't seem to bother me

I have an exceedingly black wall. This picture shows the old Pioneer FHD1:
IMG_1304.jpg
The silver edge of the new VT60 stands out (as does the famous red ON light).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letuch View Post

Paintspray perhaps?
I don't care how well I might mask it off -- the risk of painting the screen is too high.

I'm looking for something that'll be removable in 5 years, when I sell it, yet blackest black, and straight.

(I'm considering spray painting the Edge Cushions I mentioned, or painting with rubber paint.)

Quote:

I'll look into those again.

Maybe a black magic marker. One of those whiteboard Dry Erase ones.

I was hoping there were some sort of long removable plastic strips, perhaps similar to those little patches people use to cover the red ON light.

yellowcanary73's Avatar yellowcanary73 12:02 AM 02-19-2014
I don't know but what ever that is on top of tv on right side would bother me more then the small red power button on the VT60. Lol
BasementBob's Avatar BasementBob 12:03 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I don't know but what ever that is on top of tv on right side would bother me more then the small red power button on the VT60. Lol

Yes, the red digital clock does make the VT60 red ON light a trivial issue. smile.gif
In my case it's the silver border that's the issue.
XboxJuan's Avatar XboxJuan 12:40 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:

I have an exceedingly black wall. This picture shows the old Pioneer FHD1:
IMG_1304.jpg
The silver edge of the new VT60 stands out (as does the famous red ON light).
I don't care how well I might mask it off -- the risk of painting the screen is too high.

I'm looking for something that'll be removable in 5 years, when I sell it, yet blackest black, and straight.

(I'm considering spray painting the Edge Cushions I mentioned, or painting with rubber paint.)
I'll look into those again.

Maybe a black magic marker. One of those whiteboard Dry Erase ones.

I was hoping there were some sort of long removable plastic strips, perhaps similar to those little patches people use to cover the red ON light.

You have 2 chairs in front of your TV that are pointed away from the screen, one of them appears to be directly in the way of your TV viewing angle, the reflections off of that leather chair would be bad enough, but then you have the most obnoxious looking red digital clock right above your screen ! And you're stressing about a 1/8" strip of silver ? eek.gif

Yeah, we wouldn't get along. rolleyes.gif

If you did a good enough masking job, I guess you could use PlastiDip spray. It should last 5 years, then when you're done with it you can peel it off. Oh, and get an analog clock while your at it, or just move that red glowing atrocity to another location, preferably the recycling bin.
Gov's Avatar Gov 12:45 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxJuan View Post

You have 2 chairs in front of your TV that are pointed away from the screen, one of them appears to be directly in the way of your TV viewing angle, the reflections off of that leather chair would be bad enough, but then you have the most obnoxious looking red digital clock right above your screen ! And you're stressing about a 1/8" strip of silver ? w:eek:e

Yeah, we wouldn't get along. rolleyes.gif

Yeah the 80's red clock is a huge eye sore eek.gif
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:52 AM 02-19-2014
On the bright side, you won't have anyone interrupting the show asking what time it is in that room. wink.gif
elmorage's Avatar elmorage 06:07 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:

THX mode does not allow you into the advanced setting menu to see what is there so there really is no point to it.

So there is no way to reproduce the picture of THX Cinema and get the benefit of pixel orbiter?
mbroadus's Avatar mbroadus 06:38 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:

The silver boarder is a non issue, it does not distract from viewing one bit.

I don't see the red "on" light either when viewing. I only notice it when the display is off.
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 06:59 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

So there is no way to reproduce the picture of THX Cinema and get the benefit of pixel orbiter?
Nope, no way to do so. You need to either calibrate yourself or use settings of some of the other posters here and try to find a picture you like.
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 07:30 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:

Yes, the red digital clock does make the VT60 red ON light a trivial issue. smile.gif
In my case it's the silver border that's the issue.

Its good to see we have moved to complaining about aesthetics. So I guess everyone is happy with the most important part of our display - its picture. You can never satisfy everyone with how you design something, personally I think it looks good. It certainly doesn't impact my viewing pleasure as I am focused on the picture itself and not what is around it. Maybe Robert at VE would let you send you displays back to him to have your bezels painted black or you could check with an auto paint shop. For the red light, you can always disable it if it bothers you.
Scott Oakley's Avatar Scott Oakley 07:41 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Its good to see we have moved to complaining about aesthetics. So I guess everyone is happy with the most important part of our display - its picture. You can never satisfy everyone with how you design something, personally I think it looks good. It certainly doesn't impact my viewing pleasure as I am focused on the picture itself and not what is around it. Maybe Robert at VE would let you send you displays back to him to have your bezels painted black or you could check with an auto paint shop. For the red light, you can always disable it if it bothers you.

How would one disable the red light?
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 431  432  433 434  435  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop