Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 439 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13141 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxJuan View Post

Out of all the outrageous posts in this thread, this is definitely one of the worst. This TV's biggest strength is BluRay playback. I just watched 2001:ASO last night, a film I've seen several times on different TV's, and it looked the best I've ever seen it hands down.

You've got it completely backwards. I'd say if your main viewing habits are cable TV and you never watch BluRays, I wouldn't recommend this TV.

Also, these sets don't get brighter with age, it's been proven. You're just getting used to its picture. It's a more of a placebo effect. Just like the people that swear their picture looks better after each and every firmware update.

It is no slouch when it comes to cable either imo Its a great all around set for me so far

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13142 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I'm just over 300 hours and 30 days on my VT 65. I got it on sale from Amazon when it was going new for $2000. nice t_v but it does have its problems. I wasn't sure I was going to keep it, mainly due to picture being not bright enough for me. after 300 hours it did seem to get a little brighter. I don't use SS settings because there too dark. I use C net settings since their brightest. I haven't tried D nice settings because I've read there dark.
If your main vewing habits on this t_v are going to be blu ray I wouldnt rrecommend this tv. I don't think this t_v handles 24 fps very well. I I use 96 kHz because that's what is recommended and it has the best black level
.,however playback is still jittery. I'm experimenting with motion smoother at weak to fix this but in some ways it helps and in some ways it makes picture look worse. I have a projector that handles 24 f_p_s better I use for most of my movies. I'll be using this plasma mainly for cable and pc gaming.
My movies are ripped ISO's and mkv's on my NAS. I notice the tv's dlna app is able to play these fine though not at 24 fps. i still may end up using the TVs DLNA app for my movies since I don't like how this TV handles 24 fps instead of my dedicated movie streaming device. I'm curious how others like and or compare the TVs DLNA app for movies vs. other streaming devices.

Nothing wrong with using 60hz for Blu-ray as you're doing already for cable. Isn't that quite a stretch to get rid of a display that essentially has reference video levels (properly calibrated) because 96hz is not 100% perfect?

post #13143 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Does the thr vt60 support being played TO via bluetooth audio?
post #13144 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

I think that's just the limitation of the app and tv unfortunately. Even samsung app doesn't turn there tvs on. I'm guessing the tv just designed when it's off the internet features as we'll and doesn't have any chance to communicate.

Not sure about that. There are settings for it to be able to wake on lan and the like. Not sure what's going on. I've just this morning unplugged everything (to move stuff) and powered it all back up again. At the moment it appears I can power it up again from the Panasonic Remote app.

Between this and some voodoo related to HDMI-CEC (aka Viera Link) I'm not sure where the problems lie. There's a lot of overlap going on and it appears some of it requires fully rebooting in order to activate (or at least start working... for how long?).
post #13145 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Haven't been here in about a week...and find this post to be absolutely hilarious. Kind of irnonic actually. Now were using tape to get better black levels cause yours are "crappy". But there's nothing wrong with the blacks it must be your settings then. Your not doing something right. I wouldn't call them crappy at all and better than LED but not as deep as I think we all hoped for. Took me off guard. My blacks are awesome with lights dimmed, with them off they glow a little but still way better than a Vizio LED or any non plasma tech.

So eric1336...it must be your settings! Did you try other settings or devices to ensure it's the TV and not the source??

Black tape?? Even I didn't go to that extent. You should try to just sit and enjoy your TV don't stress so much over it or else your always going to find an issue.

(Touché to myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

Oh boi, eric1336 was simply joking since the vt and zt are the best in terms of black level that you can possibly get on the market today for a pdp, both visually and by measured numbers, it was an ironic post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

There was a slow couple of days on this thread and Eric was having some fun. He was joking. Sheldon cooper on Big Bang theory, sarcasm?
The black tape was for reflections of the chrome trim. Someone was bothered by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

And a nice week it was smile.gif
Seriously, you do know that was shot aimed at you. I'm glad you're taking the kidding better and giving yourself some touche'. Now where is the damn electrical tape? (I am kidding just to make it easy for our visitors).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, and the electrical tape was for the actual screen. I had asked if it might be a good idea to use for better blacks then someone took it off topic and asked if they can use that for their trim. I don't have a problem with the trim, I removed the silver trim from my VT60 completely and now I don't have to worry about it's reflections. I actually ended using a butter knife to remove it. It came out okay.

As for the better blacks, I just ended up using tar. It is pretty dark and during the day I get absolutely no reflections. Even when the TV is on it still looks completely off. I am trying to calibrate it now with the panel set to high because it seems like I need more light output to penetrate the tar. It is still a work in progress but so far I have been more then pleased with the results. Every show I have watched so far has looked like a black slide. Just a little more brighter and I should almost be there!
post #13146 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

Oh boi, eric1336 was simply joking since the vt and zt are the best in terms of black level that you can possibly get on the market today for a pdp, both visually and by measured numbers, it was an ironic post.

I'm glad jokes are being made and I haven't posted here in a while. Can tell you guys get out a lot. Guess you have to bash someone in order to justify your purchase. wink.gif

can never tell tone when reading text. Anyway I figured it was another diabolical scheme by eric1336. Hats off to you sir. Btw the electrical tape didn't work so instead I put a beach all sized hole in it...now it's like I'm starting into a black vortex..sickest blacks I have ever seen
post #13147 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Who is justifying their purchase, believe me I am not having any regrets at all, aren't you waiting on a ZT ? Or is that off again ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13148 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad jokes are being made and I haven't posted here in a while. Can tell you guys get out a lot. Guess you have to bash someone in order to justify your purchase.

can never tell tone when reading text. Anyway I figured it was another diabolical scheme by eric1336. Hats off to you sir. Btw the electrical tape didn't work so instead I put a beach all sized hole in it...now it's like I'm starting into a black vortex..sickest blacks I have ever seen
Glad you are finally able to enjoy your TV! Lol

Trust me, no one here needs to justify their purchase.

Now please tell me you cancelled your order with Paul's TV for the ZT60 and will be keeping your VT60 while saving like $1,300.
post #13149 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

...As for the better blacks, I just ended up using tar. It is pretty dark and during the day I get absolutely no reflections. Even when the TV is on it still looks completely off. I am trying to calibrate it now with the panel set to high because it seems like I need more light output to penetrate the tar. It is still a work in progress but so far I have been more then pleased with the results. Every show I have watched so far has looked like a black slide. Just a little more brighter and I should almost be there!
I think you're on [to] something. So, I did a search on Amazon for A/V tar; unfortunately it's not listed...yet. Maybe I should check Monoprice. What quantity should I get for a VT65? Gotta get better blacks, whatever it takes.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #13150 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

I think you're on [to] something. So, I did a search on Amazon for A/V tar; unfortunately it's not listed...yet. Maybe I should check Monoprice. What quantity should I get for a VT65? Gotta get better blacks, whatever it takes.

Just make sure it's ISF certified tar. The non ISF kind is less neutral looking.

post #13151 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

I think you're on [to] something. So, I did a search on Amazon for A/V tar; unfortunately it's not listed...yet. Maybe I should check Monoprice. What quantity should I get for a VT65? Get better blacks, whatever it takes.
Well, I think it is still in beta phase. They still need to work on making it more transparent. The more I watch the more I realize all I see is black but man the blacks are sick! I just need to be able to see other colors. Wonder if they make tar in red blue and green? That might work without taking away from the black. Man the pop it will have.

Oh, and maybe a bright white. I will show those F8500's owners once and for all!
post #13152 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Well, I think it is still in beta phase. They still need to work on making it more transparent. The more I watch the more I realize all I see is black but man the blacks are sick! I just need to be able to see other colors. Wonder if they make tar in red blue and green? That might work without taking away from the black. Man the pop it will have.
I'm no expert, but it sounds like it might be time to have the plasma gas recharged. Someone said the Geek Squad does a good job.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #13153 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

I'm glad jokes are being made and I haven't posted here in a while. Can tell you guys get out a lot. Guess you have to bash someone in order to justify your purchase. wink.gif

It's all in good fun and no one has trouble justifying their purchase(s) more than you do. When's the last time you saw the core group of posters on this thread regret their purchase, no regrets here and I bought in May. I think most of us wish we were like others who have two or three of these babies (ST/VT/ZT). If you started a poll you would find nearly all of us - including Dr. Evil (aka Diabolical or Eric) - want you to finally find bliss/peace/ISF tar blacks/colors that pop/quite fans/buzzless/no fractures/no bevel scratches/no dead pixels/no banding/no dithering/no phosphor trails/fans, what fans, with whatever you end up owning for a display. We are on your side and any time you feel like the TV gods don't love you search using Somelogin smile.gif
I have my fingers crossed on your ZT - peace out.
vinnie97 likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #13154 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Went to mount my VT to my omnimount echo moda stand-- which fit my 50" panasonic perfectly-- and the damn mounting holes don't line up! I thought about taking it over to my grand dad's to use his drill press but decided against it as I was going to need to buy a new stand for the 50 anyways and decided I mine as we'll put that money towards a new stand. Am I glad I did: picked this little sweetheart up for less than half price at target of all places. I know we can't talk price but suffice to say this stand was barely 3 figures. Outstanding deal and went together fairly easily, super solid, and I especially like the adjustability of display mount (tilt and turn). It's manufactured by Z line. Pardon the mess as I just finished painting and was simply seeing how the set looked against this wall.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #13155 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Michaelangelo_ View Post

Don't you mean Pixels per Inch or DPI ? Compare and contrast ...

* A 65" HD display has Pixels / Inch = 1920 px / 56 inches = 34.2 DPI
* A 30" 2560x1440 monitor is 2560 px / 23 inches = 111 DPI
* A 15" 2880x1800 Apple Retina display, with AR=1.6 = 16:10 = 2880 px / 12.7 inches = 226 DPI

Large displays have absolutely terribly low DPI, but they make it up in size ! That is, you can have: DPI, Size, or Lower-Price. Pick 2. ;-)

Edit: Specified px and inches units consistently.

The member was asking about comparing two specific panels -- a 65 inch 1920*1080 pixel matrix and a 50 inch 1366*768. Your post is totally irrelevant to his question. And for displays, pixels per inch are equivalent to dots per inch.

If you do the math, you will find that the individual pixel size for the 65 inch VT60 is about the same as that of the smaller 50 inch pixel size with its fewer total pixels.

Larry
post #13156 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

SS, have you runned Klein Flicker Analysis to your VT60 to see how is the real refreshing rate for 24p or 60i signal?

No I have never seen the need. The K10-A adjusts automatically and is great in the full video range accuracy, with very solid repeatably readings.

ss
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #13157 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Liked: 17
Honestly IMO the stupid jokes are getting tiresome. I'm here to comment on and learn more about my TV, not spend time watching people poke at each other. It's okay once in a while but seems excessive at the moment.
post #13158 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, and the electrical tape was for the actual screen. I had asked if it might be a good idea to use for better blacks then someone took it off topic and asked if they can use that for their trim. I don't have a problem with the trim, I removed the silver trim from my VT60 completely and now I don't have to worry about it's reflections. I actually ended using a butter knife to remove it. It came out okay.

As for the better blacks, I just ended up using tar. It is pretty dark and during the day I get absolutely no reflections. Even when the TV is on it still looks completely off. I am trying to calibrate it now with the panel set to high because it seems like I need more light output to penetrate the tar. It is still a work in progress but so far I have been more then pleased with the results. Every show I have watched so far has looked like a black slide. Just a little more brighter and I should almost be there!

I am having a hard time getting the tar smooth. It is kind of looking like how I put cold peanut butter on bread. Should I use a butter knife, a putty knife, or tar brush? But the colors are liquidy!

Has anyone tried using black licorice?
post #13159 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234 View Post

Honestly IMO the stupid jokes are getting tiresome. I'm here to comment on and learn more about my TV, not spend time watching people poke at each other. It's okay once in a while but seems excessive at the moment.
Personally I enjoy the stupid jokes. I never seem to get the smart jokes.
post #13160 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 PM

I wish some people would post pictures of the beautiful images on their VT60s. There is a whole thread where Kuro owners post gorgeous photos of their images. I see those photos and I drool. So if someone would post some images here of their VT60 images, that would even things out.
post #13161 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Personally I enjoy the stupid jokes. I never seem to get the smart jokes.

Have you considered starting a new thread devoted to stupid jokes? They are truly inappropriate in this VT60 thread and add even more noise to the signal.

Larry
post #13162 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Have you considered starting a new thread devoted to stupid jokes? They are truly inappropriate in this VT60 thread and add even more noise to the signal.

Larry

Apparently some people aren't here to have a good time, so yes I did start a new thread for comedy.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1519161/humor-funny-stories-comedy-and-jokes
post #13163 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish some people would post pictures of the beautiful images on their VT60s. There is a whole thread where Kuro owners post gorgeous photos of their images. I see those photos and I drool. So if someone would post some images here of their VT60 images, that would even things out.
We all own the TV here, why do we need to see pictures?

Plus, seeing a picture of a TV is so inaccurate of the actual picture since there are so many variables between the actual picture on the TV to how you are seeing it, it would be worse then using someone else's settings. lol
post #13164 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I second XBR. It's a nice showcase of the dynamic range of the TVs (I know, also limited by the screen on which it is being viewed) if nothing else. If I ever get a decent cam, I will be doing the same for the ZT.
post #13165 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

This 100%!

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #13166 of 15514 Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 PM

Liked: 10
Hey! Which settings are preferred for gaming (PS3)?
I've messed around a bit with the RGB range while playing The Last of Us but I feel the picture either looks washed out or crushed.
Recommendations?
post #13167 of 15514 Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM

Liked: 41
Quote:

Here's a few I took the other night of my 65VT60, as mentioned above, pictures don't come close to doing it justice but since a few people requested it here ya go. 

PS....perhaps Eric can now see the blacks some of us are getting with no tar, tape or anything! lol

post #13168 of 15514 Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Nice shots CatchersDad.

This thread may be of interest to some as well.....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475972/official-panasonic-st-gt-vt-zt60-pictures-thread

Urga and the others who post do a very good job as far as photo accuracy. But unfortunately, the representation is only as good as the display you are using to view these threads.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #13169 of 15514 Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Nice shots CatchersDad.

This thread may be of interest to some as well.....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475972/official-panasonic-st-gt-vt-zt60-pictures-thread

Urga and the others who post do a very good job as far as photo accuracy. But unfortunately, the representation is only as good as the display you are using to view these threads.

Very true dsskid, forgot to mention that and it's also very hard to get good clear shots of a moving image in the dark on a TV unless you have an equally good camera, which I do not. 

post #13170 of 15514 Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

EXACTLY, I've never understood the intent of showing pictures like this unless you're using them to show a specific flaw you're exhibiting, they're worthless to anyone since they're being displayed on your monitor/tablet/smartphone screen
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page