Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 445 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13321 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpaul View Post

Well, I've tried a factory reset through the menu, unplugging for a period of time, changing HDMI inputs, messing with my AVR settings, and probably some other stuff I can't remember right now.  Based on internet search this seems to be a fairly common problem but also one without a common solution.  Somewhat odd that this function is located where it is instead of with all the other settings in the main menus.  Oh well, my audio is playing through my AVR which is all I really care about anyway.  I'm just afraid it will revert to TV speakers and I won't be able to change it back.

Update:  Yesterday the VieraLink feature was available again with no action on my part, at least no intentional action.  We did lose the power for 10 minutes or so the other night, maybe that reset all the components enough to enable the feature.

Hughmc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpaul View Post

Update:  Yesterday the VieraLink feature was available again with no action on my part, at least no intentional action.  We did lose the power for 10 minutes or so the other night, maybe that reset all the components enough to enable the feature.

I have all my equipment , tv stereo, etc, all plugged into a Furman line conditioner and then into a cyber power UPS....if power goes out..I can turn everything off my self without the hard shutdown caused by a blackout. The Cyber power 900 watt is powerful enough for all my gear and runs less then 200 bucks on Newegg.com. It protects your gear and is worth every penny.
post #13323 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbike View Post

Two problems:  motion blur/jitter and netflix problem.  I'm new here and I hope that I'm posting in the right place and properly.

After buying my VT60 from Best Buy, I had Geek Squad install and program it along with the Emotiva UMC-200 and program my Harmony One.  They ended up sending 3 different teams to get it close to right. There is about 100 hours on the set now and two issues remain:   The motion blur/jitter is bad. Engaging motion smoothing "somewhat" corrects the problem, but creates an unnatural picture.  Is this correctable or must I just live with it?

Next, when I select Netflix from the apps menu, THX Cinema and THX bright room options are gone from the mode menu.  I'm using an older good quality LG blu-ray player, so I wanted to use the TV's app menu to speed it up and get the newer netflix format. Is there a workaround so I can select Netflix from Apps and still use THX Cinema mode?

Geek squad is limited and I suspect that it can be hooked-up and tuned up better.  Anyone know a good installer in the Fort Lauderdale area who can look at it? Does ISF make connection adjustments or just calibrations? By the way, Geek Squad says they offer ISF calibrating and they say it takes them about "45" minutes!  I'm not sure why ISF would approve them to use the ISF name, when they offer such a minimal calibration. It seems like it will degrade the ISF brand.

Thanks in advance. 
Paul
I honestly can't answer your question about blur/judder (although I thought they were two separate things) but I know someone else on here can.

The THX settings do not show for any Internet based apps so that's "normal." I do not know why. They may show if you use your LG blu ray player tho.

Typical ISF calibrations are in the 3-4 hour range, certainly not 45 minutes. I will say you do not need a full calibration to solve your judder/blur problem.

Hope this helps somewhat.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #13324 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Two problems:  motion blur/jitter and netflix problem.  I'm new here and I hope that I'm posting in the right place and properly.

After buying my VT60 from Best Buy, I had Geek Squad install and program it along with the Emotiva UMC-200 and program my Harmony One.  They ended up sending 3 different teams to get it close to right. There is about 100 hours on the set now and two issues remain:   The motion blur/jitter is bad. Engaging motion smoothing "somewhat" corrects the problem, but creates an unnatural picture.  Is this correctable or must I just live with it?

Next, when I select Netflix from the apps menu, THX Cinema and THX bright room options are gone from the mode menu.  I'm using an older good quality LG blu-ray player, so I wanted to use the TV's app menu to speed it up and get the newer netflix format. Is there a workaround so I can select Netflix from Apps and still use THX Cinema mode?

Geek squad is limited and I suspect that it can be hooked-up and tuned up better.  Anyone know a good installer in the Fort Lauderdale area who can look at it? Does ISF make connection adjustments or just calibrations? By the way, Geek Squad says they offer ISF calibrating and they say it takes them about "45" minutes!  I'm not sure why ISF would approve them to use the ISF name, when they offer such a minimal calibration. It seems like it will degrade the ISF brand.

Thanks in advance. 
Paul

I will try to stay in order.

Regarding motion is it on all sources? The source can be the problem, do you see it when playing a blu-ray? Provide the settings you are using as well please.

THX modes are not available when using Netflix via VT's apps.

To be ISF certified all you have to do is pass a test after a weekend course. You can say the same thing about your MD, some will spend 20 minutes talking with you about your problem, others you're lucky to get a minute. BB works within corporate restrictions on time spent, modes done, etc. Don't waste your money, head over to the calibration thread and see when Chad, DNice, Kevin Miller or someone else with positive feedback will be in your area.

Congrads! You bought a great display.
paulbike likes this.
post #13325 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
While watching Hockey during the Olympics I noticed faint vertical lines on my 65VT60. They seemed colourless but noticeable during pans. Sort of reminded me of a dirty-screen-effect. Is this the screen coating or filter? Does it go away with time? It's rarely noticeable. Just wondering what other people's experiences were.
post #13326 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

While watching Hockey during the Olympics I noticed faint vertical lines on my 65VT60. They seemed colourless but noticeable during pans. Sort of reminded me of a dirty-screen-effect. Is this the screen coating or filter? Does it go away with time? It's rarely noticeable. Just wondering what other people's experiences were.

Most likely DSE which is a result of the filter/coating - it will not go away. The best advice to give is to do your best to not focus on it. It is there on any plasma with a filter - if you look hard enough. I just don't see mine on either one of my plasmas because I refuse to focus smile.gif
post #13327 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I noticed it as well, but I think it was the feed and not the TV. when I watched hockey on the hockey channel I didn't see the lines.
post #13328 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12
Can someone please give me the size of the bezel for the 60" VT please?

Thanks!
post #13329 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post

Can someone please give me the size of the bezel for the 60" VT please?

Thanks!
Bezel on the left, right and bottom is approx 4CM, and a hair over 2CM on the top.
post #13330 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Liked: 14

When watching blu ray movies I have noticed some horizontal 'tearing' for lack of a better word during scenes where there is a slow pan from left to right or vice versa. Is this considered judder? My settings are as follows:

THX Cinema Mode

All enhancements turned off

Game mode off

24p direct in 96Hz

1080- pure direct on

HDMI content type auto

HDMI/DVI RBG range auto

Black level light

Oversan off

H size Size 1

Pixel orbiter auto

Blui ray player is a Sony S5100. Everything is connected via HDMI, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post #13331 of 14749 Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNY View Post

When watching blu ray movies I have noticed some horizontal 'tearing' for lack of a better word during scenes where there is a slow pan from left to right or vice versa. Is this considered judder? My settings are as follows:

THX Cinema Mode
All enhancements turned off
Game mode off
24p direct in 96Hz
1080- pure direct on
HDMI content type auto
HDMI/DVI RBG range auto
Black level light
Oversan off
H size Size 1
Pixel orbiter auto

Blui ray player is a Sony S5100. Everything is connected via HDMI, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try it with 24p off which disables 96Hz. Some owners prefer 60Hz to 96Hz due to what you are seeing.
post #13332 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

when watching 3d channel with my TiVo Comcast, i find image very jittery and unpleasant to watch with motion smoothing off so i set it to weak and it looks much better. for Comcast 2d all content looks fine with motion smoother off. Was wondering if others have noticed this also. Does everyone use 100 or 120 3d refresh rate?
post #13333 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

when watching 3d channel with my TiVo Comcast, i find image very jittery and unpleasant to watch with motion smoothing off so i set it to weak and it looks much better. for Comcast 2d all content looks fine with motion smoother off. Was wondering if others have noticed this also. Does everyone use 100 or 120 3d refresh rate?
3D? Someone uses the 3D stuff? I tried, once, using the 3D output from an Xbox One game. Meh, was about the best way to describe it. Typical 3D complaint though.

When you introduce Comcast into the mix I'd have to wonder how much would get attributed to their tendency to horribly compress (or otherwise bastardize) the signal.

What was the program? And might it also be good to check the 3D forums here? http://www.avsforum.com/f/193/3d-central
post #13334 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 AM

thanks.

post #13335 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks for your reply.  Good question about the source:  They are different. While I can see a very small amount of motion distortion on the Fifth Element Blu-ray and also on Dish,  it is far more obvious on Netflix. and "motion smoothing" does not seem to help much.  Interesting.  My computer is connected to the TV via a very long ethernet cable (100 ft.). Usually wired is better, but I wonder if it might help to shorten the ethernet cable (to the needed 35 feet) or I can try to figure out how to use wi-fi instead from my AT&T modem?

I do hope Netflix figures out a way to allow the VT60 to use the THX modes.  Maybe that will help.

Geek Squad used an optical cable for one connection (not sure which one) and HDMI for others if that matters.

post #13336 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

3D through cable is no way to really judge 3D. Compress a 3D image is way worse then compressing a 2D image as their is much more involved relying out a good signal to produce the 3D effect and pq. Whatever you have to do to get your 3D picture to look decent through cable is normal. There really doesn't need to be any more trouble shooting past compressing of the picture.
post #13337 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

My computer is connected to the TV via a very long ethernet cable (100 ft.). Usually wired is better, but I wonder if it might help to shorten the ethernet cable (to the needed 35 feet) or I can try to figure out how to use wi-fi instead from my AT&T modem?

Ethernet supports up to 100 meters per connection. Shortening the cable will make no difference, not unless the cable you've got is causing network problems. Which would be hard to show unless the gear you've got on it supported showing raw network port stats. Most of the time you're only going to get this with some kind of PC attached (pc, mac, linux, whatever) or via a network switch that has monitoring and management features (most won't).

Going wireless will definitely not make it better, quite likely worse.

There's a ton of variables involved with playing video. The original source, the mastering to media, the compression of a cable or satellite transmission, player firmware, download throughput variability, the list is nearly endless. It's not impossible to pin down but making fair comparisons across different distribution systems is very difficult.
post #13338 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Try it with 24p off which disables 96Hz. Some owners prefer 60Hz to 96Hz due to what you are seeing.

Thanks for the advice, I will give that a try and report back.

post #13339 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Sounds like I need someone capable to just check each possibility until the culprit shows itself.  One lesson so far - just because a problem is visible on the TV, doesn't mean the TV is at fault. Thanks for your reply.

post #13340 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Interesting, my VT60 suffers the same green splotches that my S30 does. Was updating the firmware tonight and the grey box containing the progress bar is just the right shade of grey to show off the green. Did anyone ever figure out what causes this??

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #13341 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
so I'm heading home in a week for spring break and we have a Benq W-7000 3D projector. I do not have glasses for it, but I was wondering if I could somehow pair the panasonic glasses with it. is that even possible?
post #13342 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Hey, I was just curious if anyone knew the work required to replace a cracked screen on a VT60, if even possible?  I can get a almost new VT60 with a cracked screen, and another new VT60 with a blue stripe going down the screen both for really cheap.  Can I take the screen from the one with the blue stripe (assuming the screen isnt the cause of the stripe) and put it on the good TV with the cracked screen? I can pretty much fix anything with instructions and the right tools, but do not have any experience with TVs, so any help is appreciated.  

Thanks

post #13343 of 14749 Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post

Hey, I was just curious if anyone knew the work required to replace a cracked screen on a VT60, if even possible?  I can get a almost new VT60 with a cracked screen, and another new VT60 with a blue stripe going down the screen both for really cheap.  Can I take the screen from the one with the blue stripe (assuming the screen isnt the cause of the stripe) and put it on the good TV with the cracked screen? I can pretty much fix anything with instructions and the right tools, but do not have any experience with TVs, so any help is appreciated.  
If the VT60 is anything like other plasmas, and I think it is, you would have to replace the panel which in the best of times would be expensive. Someone with the same set might want to use a set like this for spare parts.
post #13344 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Has anyone had experience with getting their Panasonic Plasma serviced? I've had mine for less than 2 months and it is scheduled to be serviced for the second time next Friday. The first time I had a piece of dirt behind the screen which they removed. I had to fight to get this done. The first time I called they said there was nothing they could do. I called again and said that dirt behind the screen had to be a manufacturer defect and they agreed.

The day I got it back it would shut off by itself if I used the TV speakers. I hooked up my stereo to it and it worked fine. One week later it won't turn on at all and blinks the red light 12 times. I am a little disappointed in Panasonic's Limited Warranty. Both times they are having it serviced by a small local shop that repairs various electronics but doesn't specialize in any one area. Panasonic told me the warranty covers services but never covers a replacement. They said they will pay to have my TV serviced but will not replace the unit no matter what happens.

Even with all this trouble I ended up getting the 65VT60 new in box for around $1800 which is an amazing deal. So I feel like I need to keep fighting to get this thing working correctly because there just isn't any other TV I would rather have other than the ZT60. I hooked up my old entry-level Samsung plasma to keep me busy and wow! I didn't realize how great the picture was on the 65VT60 until I went back to my old set. My Samsung which I used to brag about looks like a 10 year old TV compared to the VT60.

So if anyone has had their TV serviced from Panasonic I would love to hear about your experience. Also does anyone know how soon you need to buy Squaretrade warranty after the initial purchase, because it is looking like I will need it?

Thanks
post #13345 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

They have to replace it if it can't be repaired. However, the replacement only needs to be of equal value, not quality or the same display. That means you could end up with one of their LEDs eek.gif
post #13346 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
^^^^^ I have never even considered an extended warranty for any of my previous HDTVs but stories like these and the fact that it has been discontinued is seriously making me consider getting one for my 65VT60. Are there others here in the same predicament?
post #13347 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

^^^^^ I have never even considered an extended warranty for any of my previous HDTVs but stories like these and the fact that it has been discontinued is seriously making me consider getting one for my 65VT60. Are there others here in the same predicament?

me. I consider(ed) EW taxes on the 'dumb' previously. As I now sometimes quip though, at 99$ for a ST 3 yr (+'x'mfr yrs) I am dumb enough to buy one on my 3k set. If you are within 60 days of your purchase, check out the link in my signature for that deal.
post #13348 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Liked: 22
Just wanted to ask one more time if anyone wants a 65vt60 box? Going to be recycled next Friday. Pickup in Montgomery County, MD.
post #13349 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

They have to replace it if it can't be repaired. However, the replacement only needs to be of equal value, not quality or the same display. That means you could end up with one of their LEDs eek.gif

Can you post your source for this statement?
Donat76 likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #13350 of 14749 Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go - I have never heard of anyone getting their purchase price refunded.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page