Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14

When watching blu ray movies I have noticed some horizontal 'tearing' for lack of a better word during scenes where there is a slow pan from left to right or vice versa. Is this considered judder? My settings are as follows:

THX Cinema Mode

All enhancements turned off

Game mode off

24p direct in 96Hz

1080- pure direct on

HDMI content type auto

HDMI/DVI RBG range auto

Black level light

Oversan off

H size Size 1

Pixel orbiter auto

Blui ray player is a Sony S5100. Everything is connected via HDMI, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNY View Post

When watching blu ray movies I have noticed some horizontal 'tearing' for lack of a better word during scenes where there is a slow pan from left to right or vice versa. Is this considered judder? My settings are as follows:

THX Cinema Mode
All enhancements turned off
Game mode off
24p direct in 96Hz
1080- pure direct on
HDMI content type auto
HDMI/DVI RBG range auto
Black level light
Oversan off
H size Size 1
Pixel orbiter auto

Blui ray player is a Sony S5100. Everything is connected via HDMI, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try it with 24p off which disables 96Hz. Some owners prefer 60Hz to 96Hz due to what you are seeing.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
when watching 3d channel with my TiVo Comcast, i find image very jittery and unpleasant to watch with motion smoothing off so i set it to weak and it looks much better. for Comcast 2d all content looks fine with motion smoother off. Was wondering if others have noticed this also. Does everyone use 100 or 120 3d refresh rate?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

when watching 3d channel with my TiVo Comcast, i find image very jittery and unpleasant to watch with motion smoothing off so i set it to weak and it looks much better. for Comcast 2d all content looks fine with motion smoother off. Was wondering if others have noticed this also. Does everyone use 100 or 120 3d refresh rate?
3D? Someone uses the 3D stuff? I tried, once, using the 3D output from an Xbox One game. Meh, was about the best way to describe it. Typical 3D complaint though.

When you introduce Comcast into the mix I'd have to wonder how much would get attributed to their tendency to horribly compress (or otherwise bastardize) the signal.

What was the program? And might it also be good to check the 3D forums here? http://www.avsforum.com/f/193/3d-central
Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

thanks.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks for your reply.  Good question about the source:  They are different. While I can see a very small amount of motion distortion on the Fifth Element Blu-ray and also on Dish,  it is far more obvious on Netflix. and "motion smoothing" does not seem to help much.  Interesting.  My computer is connected to the TV via a very long ethernet cable (100 ft.). Usually wired is better, but I wonder if it might help to shorten the ethernet cable (to the needed 35 feet) or I can try to figure out how to use wi-fi instead from my AT&T modem?

I do hope Netflix figures out a way to allow the VT60 to use the THX modes.  Maybe that will help.

Geek Squad used an optical cable for one connection (not sure which one) and HDMI for others if that matters.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

3D through cable is no way to really judge 3D. Compress a 3D image is way worse then compressing a 2D image as their is much more involved relying out a good signal to produce the 3D effect and pq. Whatever you have to do to get your 3D picture to look decent through cable is normal. There really doesn't need to be any more trouble shooting past compressing of the picture.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbike View Post

My computer is connected to the TV via a very long ethernet cable (100 ft.). Usually wired is better, but I wonder if it might help to shorten the ethernet cable (to the needed 35 feet) or I can try to figure out how to use wi-fi instead from my AT&T modem?

Ethernet supports up to 100 meters per connection. Shortening the cable will make no difference, not unless the cable you've got is causing network problems. Which would be hard to show unless the gear you've got on it supported showing raw network port stats. Most of the time you're only going to get this with some kind of PC attached (pc, mac, linux, whatever) or via a network switch that has monitoring and management features (most won't).

Going wireless will definitely not make it better, quite likely worse.

There's a ton of variables involved with playing video. The original source, the mastering to media, the compression of a cable or satellite transmission, player firmware, download throughput variability, the list is nearly endless. It's not impossible to pin down but making fair comparisons across different distribution systems is very difficult.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Try it with 24p off which disables 96Hz. Some owners prefer 60Hz to 96Hz due to what you are seeing.

Thanks for the advice, I will give that a try and report back.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Sounds like I need someone capable to just check each possibility until the culprit shows itself.  One lesson so far - just because a problem is visible on the TV, doesn't mean the TV is at fault. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Interesting, my VT60 suffers the same green splotches that my S30 does. Was updating the firmware tonight and the grey box containing the progress bar is just the right shade of grey to show off the green. Did anyone ever figure out what causes this??

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 26
so I'm heading home in a week for spring break and we have a Benq W-7000 3D projector. I do not have glasses for it, but I was wondering if I could somehow pair the panasonic glasses with it. is that even possible?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hey, I was just curious if anyone knew the work required to replace a cracked screen on a VT60, if even possible?  I can get a almost new VT60 with a cracked screen, and another new VT60 with a blue stripe going down the screen both for really cheap.  Can I take the screen from the one with the blue stripe (assuming the screen isnt the cause of the stripe) and put it on the good TV with the cracked screen? I can pretty much fix anything with instructions and the right tools, but do not have any experience with TVs, so any help is appreciated.  

Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post

Hey, I was just curious if anyone knew the work required to replace a cracked screen on a VT60, if even possible?  I can get a almost new VT60 with a cracked screen, and another new VT60 with a blue stripe going down the screen both for really cheap.  Can I take the screen from the one with the blue stripe (assuming the screen isnt the cause of the stripe) and put it on the good TV with the cracked screen? I can pretty much fix anything with instructions and the right tools, but do not have any experience with TVs, so any help is appreciated.  
If the VT60 is anything like other plasmas, and I think it is, you would have to replace the panel which in the best of times would be expensive. Someone with the same set might want to use a set like this for spare parts.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone had experience with getting their Panasonic Plasma serviced? I've had mine for less than 2 months and it is scheduled to be serviced for the second time next Friday. The first time I had a piece of dirt behind the screen which they removed. I had to fight to get this done. The first time I called they said there was nothing they could do. I called again and said that dirt behind the screen had to be a manufacturer defect and they agreed.

The day I got it back it would shut off by itself if I used the TV speakers. I hooked up my stereo to it and it worked fine. One week later it won't turn on at all and blinks the red light 12 times. I am a little disappointed in Panasonic's Limited Warranty. Both times they are having it serviced by a small local shop that repairs various electronics but doesn't specialize in any one area. Panasonic told me the warranty covers services but never covers a replacement. They said they will pay to have my TV serviced but will not replace the unit no matter what happens.

Even with all this trouble I ended up getting the 65VT60 new in box for around $1800 which is an amazing deal. So I feel like I need to keep fighting to get this thing working correctly because there just isn't any other TV I would rather have other than the ZT60. I hooked up my old entry-level Samsung plasma to keep me busy and wow! I didn't realize how great the picture was on the 65VT60 until I went back to my old set. My Samsung which I used to brag about looks like a 10 year old TV compared to the VT60.

So if anyone has had their TV serviced from Panasonic I would love to hear about your experience. Also does anyone know how soon you need to buy Squaretrade warranty after the initial purchase, because it is looking like I will need it?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

They have to replace it if it can't be repaired. However, the replacement only needs to be of equal value, not quality or the same display. That means you could end up with one of their LEDs eek.gif

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 182
^^^^^ I have never even considered an extended warranty for any of my previous HDTVs but stories like these and the fact that it has been discontinued is seriously making me consider getting one for my 65VT60. Are there others here in the same predicament?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

^^^^^ I have never even considered an extended warranty for any of my previous HDTVs but stories like these and the fact that it has been discontinued is seriously making me consider getting one for my 65VT60. Are there others here in the same predicament?

me. I consider(ed) EW taxes on the 'dumb' previously. As I now sometimes quip though, at 99$ for a ST 3 yr (+'x'mfr yrs) I am dumb enough to buy one on my 3k set. If you are within 60 days of your purchase, check out the link in my signature for that deal.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just wanted to ask one more time if anyone wants a 65vt60 box? Going to be recycled next Friday. Pickup in Montgomery County, MD.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

They have to replace it if it can't be repaired. However, the replacement only needs to be of equal value, not quality or the same display. That means you could end up with one of their LEDs eek.gif

Can you post your source for this statement?
Donat76 likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Old 03-06-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go - I have never heard of anyone getting their purchase price refunded.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Quote:

Can you post your source for this statement?

Many people with bad vt50's didn't get replacement vt50's, they got replacement vt60's of the same size screen. So replacing with different model is established already. If they don't have plasmas then of course you are looking at getting a 65 inch vt60 possibly getting replaced with a 65inch 4K LCD model of the year when you make that claim in the future. They may just be nice about it though and give you a cash out option anyway.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Many people with bad vt50's didn't get replacement vt50's, they got replacement vt60's of the same size screen. So replacing with different model is established already. If they don't have plasmas then of course you are looking at getting a 65 inch vt60 possibly getting replaced with a 65inch 4K LCD model of the year when you make that claim in the future. They may just be nice about it though and give you a cash out option anyway.

Okay but you're not the person who posted what I was asking about.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Old 03-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Guys, I've got a new 65" VT60 and just did the settings as of
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings

I noticed that when I start playing a movie (DVD or 1080p), about 1" of the left side of the screen is black, it looks like if the picture is off center. When I stop the player the graphic screen is perfectly centered. I fired up the service menu of the 65VT60 and looked at the built-in test patterns -- everything is really perfectly centered. As soon as start a movie, it looks like the pic is off-center by 1" to the right. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

PS:
The player by itself is fine, I just hooked it to my other Panasonic 50" PF10 display and it just plays everything fine.

Edit:
This happens only with SD DVD movies, HD being BD or MKV are fine..

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post

Guys, I've got a new 65" VT60 and just did the settings as of
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings

I noticed that when I start playing a movie (DVD or 1080p), about 1" of the left side of the screen is black, it looks like if the picture is off center. When I stop the player the graphic screen is perfectly centered. I fired up the service menu of the 65VT60 and looked at the built-in test patterns -- everything is really perfectly centered. As soon as start a movie, it looks like the pic is off-center by 1" to the right. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

PS:
The player by itself is fine, I just hooked it to my other Panasonic 50" PF10 display and it just plays everything fine.
It is the pixel orbiter which will move the picture around. If you set it to auto it should fix that but I leave the orbiter on. It does not effect the picture enough to not have it on and would rather have it help with IR.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Okay but you're not the person who posted what I was asking about.
And?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 407
hi guys,

I posted an updated calibration workflow for a Panny VT60 & Lightspace in this tread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1521259/lightspace-custom-color-patch-set-gamma-calibration-workflow

Besides other things, it deals with the crazy Gamma spikes the Panny's have....

After calibration, the color on the VT60 is outstanding... smile.gif

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: CR-250, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

It is the pixel orbiter which will move the picture around. If you set it to auto it should fix that but I leave the orbiter on. It does not effect the picture enough to not have it on and would rather have it help with IR.
Checked with the Orbiter, it is not. Also, this happens only with SD DVD signal, HD is fine. The off-center is for about 1", pretty thick black bar on the left...

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post

Checked with the Orbiter, it is not. Also, this happens only with SD DVD signal, HD is fine. The off-center is for about 1", pretty thick black bar on the left...
Double check your vt screen setting. Use format full aspect ratio. H size 1. See if that's any help.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Here you go - I have never heard of anyone getting their purchase price refunded.

Someone with a set that had the fan fix and which resulted in microfractures to the screen, got his set cashed out for the purchase price. I think they paid same amount he paid for his set but didn't include tax. Took several months for Panasonic to come through. He's is the only one that I'm aware of.
Donat76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv