Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 454 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13591 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

I want to use pixel orbiter but I can't seem to match the PQ of THX Cinema in the custom modes. Until I can, it stays off and I manage IR with mixed content and pixel flipper only.

I unlocked my PRO modes which give a nice average pic which looks similar to THX mode and allow the Pixel Orbiter. Custom mode can exaggerate some pic aspects for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My pro modes are unlocked, but there is no way to recreate all the THX Cinema settings because some of the values are grayed out. It would be helpful if someone could unlock it and get a look at the settings but I don;t know if that is possible. Not eve. sure why pixel orbiter is locked out in THX to begin with.
post #13593 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 503
THX mode settings can only be adjusted in the service menu and I believe some of them are hidden, can you change the Screen Size and then enable the pixel orbiter ? That worked on my VT50, haven't tried it on my VT60.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13594 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

get the VT60 - floor models are not the best option, but the last options left (unless u still find a new unit with prob a higher price) - then get the Square Trade warranty for US$99 from costco....

make sure the floor model does not have scratches or any blemishes on the front, active screen area !

once u got the set, check for high fan noise, if so have Panny fix it as many times until you are satisfied

calibrate the set and it'll look killer

- M

If you're looking to calibrate and located in Nor Cal, Chad B says he will come out if we can find FIVE more people. $425 looking at May. There are many good calibrators on this forum and Chad B's work is consistently rated as one of the best. Esp with the VT/ZT
post #13595 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 10
Hello, again...
Has any of you played the Gravity 3D Blu Ray succesfully on the vt60?

This movie will not play on this TV!!! Wtf!!!!
post #13596 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Angel View Post

Hello, again...

Are your cables and AVR 3D compatible? Have you tried other movies?
post #13597 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Hello, again...

If you want help it works best if you provide some detail about your setup. Others have played Gravity 3D and liked the results.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13598 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Other movies work fine...
I have the fastest cables possible... Tried it with multiple blu ray players.. Keep getting a message saying my tv is not 3D compatible...
Has anybody out there played this movie on 3D succesfully?
I even bought 3 more pair of 3d glasses thinking I would be enjoying this tv... This set has been nothing but headaches since I got it...
post #13599 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Hello, again...

I was able to play it with no problems. I have a Panny BDT-310 3D Blu Ray player hooked up to my VT60
Donat76 and Luis Angel like this.

My meager set up

post #13600 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:45 PM

My regular set up is panasonic vt60 and a ps3 blu ray player... I just updated the firmware on the tv thinking that may do the trick...
post #13601 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Ok... I wonder if I need a panasonic blu ray player to make it work :/
post #13602 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Other movies work fine...
I have the fastest cables possible... Tried it with multiple blu ray players.. Keep getting a message saying my tv is not 3D compatible...
Has anybody out there played this movie on 3D succesfully?
I even bought 3 more pair of 3d glasses thinking I would be enjoying this tv... This set has been nothing but headaches since I got it...
By other movies do you mean 3d movies or regular 2d bluray?
Is your bluray player going directly to the tv or through receiver?
post #13603 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You may need to reset ps3. And tell it you have 3d tv to enable it.
Luis Angel likes this.
post #13604 of 15159 Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Ok... It just worked all of a sudden... I played avatar 3D and the player detected a 3D compatible screen... The put the gravity blu ray and it worked... Weird...

Thanks Guys!
post #13605 of 15159 Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I posted a while ago about not finding the 96KHz modes etc. Seems the reason is the German TV I bought is a VTW60 which is slightly different than of course the rest of Europe.
This brings up the question then is there a "really pro" hidden menu and not just the pro settings for pictures?

As I have not been able to find a calibration expert I think I may also invest in a Calman setup. That is if they ever return my last 3 emails back them wink.gif

Still I must say I went back the last few nights as I am on holidays and watched some movies like Blade Runner, Lord of War off the network, and must say I got a few Wow moments on details I never saw before. Especially in Blade Runner in the darker scenes there was so much more colour and spaces I never noticed.

smile.gif
post #13606 of 15159 Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Anyone play with the Resolution Remaster setting? It is suppose to make the picture clearer. I want to say it makes the picture look sharper on the strong setting but don't know if it is just a placebo effect. By eye I do not see any negative effects from it.

Anyone else want to try and and report back what you find. I know people will say everything needs to be off but that is not the answer I am looking for. wink.gif

Every TV processes a picture differently and maybe Samsungs look sharper sometimes because they have things like this built into their processing features instead of making it user adjustable.

I know people use other devices that enhance the picture that technically would be adding something that isn't there. So this would kind of be the same if it were to improve upon something.
No one is willing to just try this out? What a bunch of chickens! I promise you won't break your panel.
post #13607 of 15159 Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Eric,

All of those settings typically add artifacts or compromises in order to attempt to look "sharper." I am also very, very sensitive to any kind of artificial sharpening.

With my set being fully calibrated, I try to keep as clean of a signal image I can. YMMV.

post #13608 of 15159 Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 AM

I have a question regarding the input lag of the VT60 because i am mainly gaming on it smile.gif
HDTVtest measured the input lag at around 25ms using the CRT method while leaving all extras off.
Does anyone have an idea how many miliseconds the "1080p pure direct" mode adds?
post #13609 of 15159 Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

So for the pro calibrators or the haters of using other people's settings, do not read further. Everyone else can continue to read.

If people have tried D-Nice's settings and have noticed it to be to dark or muddy and noticing a loss of shadow detail, try resetting the 10pt Gamma all to zero's. I can't tell you how it is going to look on a chart but it will still keep the overall vibe the same just now with a little more brightness and shadow detail that seemed to be getting lost with his settings.

I initially tried changing the gamma to 2.2 but that just ruined the look of everything. Just changing the 10pt gamma to zero's and leaving gamma at 2.4 in my opinion has really improved these settings at least to my eyes. I didn't have much time to test because it was late last night but just got into one of those playing moods with different people's settings. I quickly threw on The Avengers from Netflix and in the short time I viewed it I must say I was pretty impressed.

Will obviously need to watch more content to see if everything else looks good as well. If anyone else tests this out, let me know what you think.....
post #13610 of 15159 Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
^^^ +1

I've tried this with my 2 ST60's & a friends ST60 awhile back. It looked brighter but lost just a tad of that "cinema" look that I like with D-Nice's settings. However, I decided to leave D-Nice's settings as-is but with a few tweaks in color detail on the ST60's, and a brightness & contrast tweak on the ZT60.
post #13611 of 15159 Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So for the pro calibrators or the haters of using other people's settings, do not read further. Everyone else can continue to read.

If people have tried D-Nice's settings and have noticed it to be to dark or muddy and noticing a loss of shadow detail, try resetting the 10pt Gamma all to zero's. I can't tell you how it is going to look on a chart but it will still keep the overall vibe the same just now with a little more brightness and shadow detail that seemed to be getting lost with his settings.

I initially tried changing the gamma to 2.2 but that just ruined the look of everything. Just changing the 10pt gamma to zero's and leaving gamma at 2.4 in my opinion has really improved these settings at least to my eyes. I didn't have much time to test because it was late last night but just got into one of those playing moods with different people's settings. I quickly threw on The Avengers from Netflix and in the short time I viewed it I must say I was pretty impressed.

Will obviously need to watch more content to see if everything else looks good as well. If anyone else tests this out, let me know what you think.....

Definitely will try this tonight when I get home. Already like it with d-nice default settings but a lil more tweak wouldn't hurt. Thanks E!

post #13612 of 15159 Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsno0bie View Post

Definitely will try this tonight when I get home. Already like it with d-nice default settings but a lil more tweak wouldn't hurt. Thanks E!
Tried playing around with DNICE's daytime settings. I changed the gamma to 2.0 and changed the 10pt gamma settings all to zero. Also changed the brightness level to 4.

I think this might give the picture a little more pop in the daytime and under the lights. I think it actually looked better then the THX bright room.
post #13613 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Tried playing around with DNICE's daytime settings. I changed the gamma to 2.0 and changed the 10pt gamma settings all to zero. Also changed the brightness level to 4.

I think this might give the picture a little more pop in the daytime and under the lights. I think it actually looked better then the THX bright room.

Last night by resetting gamma 10pt. back to zero, imo it might give it a lil bit brightness (very very lil, if any). 

Thanks! I'll try changing it to 2.0 and brightness to 4 and see how it is. Any brightness close to THX bright room setting but with pixel orbiter on is a plus. Imo, D-nice is more natural looking than THX bright room.

post #13614 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night by resetting gamma 10pt. back to zero, imo it might give it a lil bit brightness (very very lil, if any). 

Thanks! I'll try changing it to 2.0 and brightness to 4 and see how it is. Any brightness close to THX bright room setting but with pixel orbiter on is a plus. Imo, D-nice is more natural looking than THX bright room.
Make sure to use DNICE's daytime settings and not the night ones. The change in the night settings was not to make the picture much brighter but to try and make it look a little less muddy in the darker tones and bring out some more shadow detail that felt like it was getting lost. It was not meant to really brighten up the picture like the change I mention above with the GAMMA to 2.0 with his day settings.

Also note, a better way to test the results is on a darker scene. You won't notice as much difference on a high APL picture due to the ABL on these TV's but on something dark it was pretty substantial on how much more was brought out from the picture which would definitely be a big deal during daytime viewing.

I also tried messing around with the daytime settings and then switching the panel brightness to high and boy did it get bright but I wasn't able to get a picture that I thought looked good. It might have looked better if I was doing it in an actual bright room at the time but it was nigh time but it definitely got bright. It does seem that the panel has a much louder buzz when using the panel brightness in high. I did notice that the THX bright room also has a louder buzz so wonder if they are using panel brightness high with their settings.
post #13615 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Make sure to use DNICE's daytime settings and not the night ones.

Also note, a better way to test the results is on a darker scene. You won't notice as much difference on a high APL picture due to the ABL on these TV's but on something dark it was pretty substantial on how much more was brought out from the picture which would definitely be a big deal during daytime viewing.

I also tried messing around with the daytime settings and then switching the panel brightness to high and boy did it get bright but I wasn't able to get a picture that I thought looked good. It might have looked better if I was doing it in an actual bright room at the time but it was nigh time but it definitely got bright. It does seem that the panel has a much louder buzz when using the panel brightness in high. I did notice that the THX bright room also has a louder buzz so wonder if they are using panel brightness high with their settings.

IKR, I'm curious if THX bright is set to high in panel brightness that causes more buzz in normal viewing. Other custom settings I used never hear any buzz during normal viewing, only when running white slides.

I'm only using DNICE's daytime setting, the night setting was to dark for my liking, nonetheless it's better than stock settings.

Is movie like Gravity be good for testing dark scene?

post #13616 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IKR, I'm curious if THX bright is set to high in panel brightness that causes more buzz in normal viewing. Other custom settings I used never hear any buzz during normal viewing, only when running white slides.

I'm only using DNICE's daytime setting, the night setting was to dark for my liking, nonetheless it's better than stock settings.

Is movie like Gravity be good for testing dark scene?
I would use a movie that has more details in dark scenes, like little nuances. I have been using The Avengers from Netflix. There are some really good dark scenes in there. Of course a blu-ray would be even better.
post #13617 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

I would use a movie that has more details in dark scenes, like little nuances. I have been using The Avengers from Netflix. There are some really good dark scenes in there. Of course a blu-ray would be even better.

I wouldn't use any Netflix or streamed content. The (extra) compression adds artifacts.

Use Blu-ray content, but use content that has been masterfully graded (which is hard to guess on an uncalibrated screen biggrin.gif) or use specific calibration discs that have dedicated calibration test footage.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
post #13618 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM

does anybody that calibrated a 55vt60 know what the black level measured compared to the larger sizes?i want to know because the 60 inch that i had before and had to send back because of issues looked somewhat darker in night scenes.i'm hoping it was just maybe the settings or something.
post #13619 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Quote:

I wouldn't use any Netflix or streamed content. The (extra) compression adds artifacts.

Use Blu-ray content, but use content that has been masterfully graded (which is hard to guess on an uncalibrated screen biggrin.gif) or use specific calibration discs that have dedicated calibration test footage.

There's a recent Gravity version comparison to showcase why it's important to use Blu-Ray movies for calibration evaluation and not streamed content were the picture quality standards are broken.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #13620 of 15159 Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Hi guys-

I'm still thinking of getting this set.  It is priced rather high for a floor model that has been there for over a year, so it has not yet sold.  I'm still debating buying it.

Took the Blu Ray to the store (Lord of the Rings, I don't own a Blu Ray, so I had a limited selection of what I could borrow from someone else), and the set worked fine EXCEPT when there was movement between two high contrast images, there was noticeable pixelation around the movement.  For example, if there was a child in a white shirt running across a green field (scene in the movie) there was some pixelation around the child. 

OR if Gandalf was riding a horse through a dark forest, there would be some pixelation around Gandalf.  

Now, get this, the pixelation did not always occur, only sometimes.  Salesperson at store said I was one of the most sensitive customers to this that he's ever seen. 

Is this something that can be fixed, or is it something that is inherent in this screen technology (I have a CRT and NEVER have seen this on the CRT - laugh all you want about the size and resolution, but the picture is crystal clear always).  I'm thinking that there may be some screen settings that could get rid of this, but perhaps there are mode changes that can be made to fix this (of course, there is no remote because it is a floor sample, so navigating the menus is a ridiculous hassle).   

I thought that this type of motion pixelation only occurred on LCDs.  As always, would appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page