Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 460 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13771 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just looked those up, pretty spendy! I also just found out it's going to be hard to find a panasonic plasma. Is the samsung 8500 as good as panasonic vt? Or what might be comparable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

get the VT60 - floor models are not the best option, but the last options left (unless u still find a new unit with prob a higher price) - then get the Square Trade warranty for US$99 from costco....

make sure the floor model does not have scratches or any blemishes on the front, active screen area !

once u got the set, check for high fan noise, if so have Panny fix it as many times until you are satisfied

calibrate the set and it'll look killer

- M

Hi guys -

Thanks for your advice.  I'm happy to report that I went ahead and bought the floor model 65VT60 that I was talking about earlier. 

You all were right that it looked MUCH worse in the store's showroom than it looks in my basement media room.  99% of the time, the picture looks amazing. 

However, the motion artifacts that I was seeing from time to time (about 1% of the time) still appeared in a Netflix streamed movie that I watched last night.  But here's the kicker, they don't appear in all content.  Watched Pirates of the Carribean last night and saw the occasional motion artifacts.  Also saw them on blu ray of Lord of the Rings in the Store. Checked out "phosphor trails" on internet, and this is not that.  It looks like pixelation around (but not on) a moving figure or two juxtaposed moving backgrounds.  Again around, not on, as if the background processing can't keep up with the foreground processing.  I've seen a much worse version of this kind of blur before on LED/LCDs, but to be honest, I've not spent that much time watching plasma, so I don't know if it would/should appear on Plasma or is from source material. 

I know that Neflix compresses, and that its 720 p, etc., but was wondering if there's any advice about how to get rid of these background motion blur / motion artifacts.  Please note that no one else notices them, and the salesman in the store said I was the first person to notice them (but he knew what I was talking about after I pointed them out to him).  

Further confusing me is that I DID NOT see them on kid's Pokemon show, or on National Geographic's "Amazing Planet" which I also streamed from Netflix.  Not once.  I'm wondering if it is a digital content / conversion product.  Not sure. 

Have been watching in THX Cinema because no remote came with the TV and I still am waiting for it to come from the internet seller from whom i purchased it (hopefully today).  So, I'm interested in your comments to put that remote to good use when it comes.

Thanks!!

- Rtem

post #13773 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

So Chad B just calibrated both my 65VT60s ...
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13774 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtem View Post

Hi guys -

Thanks for your advice.  I'm happy to report that I went ahead and bought the floor model 65VT60 that I was talking about earlier. 

You all were right that it looked MUCH worse in the store's showroom than it looks in my basement media room.  99% of the time, the picture looks amazing. 

However, the motion artifacts that I was seeing from time to time (about 1% of the time) still appeared in a Netflix streamed movie that I watched last night.  But here's the kicker, they don't appear in all content.  Watched Pirates of the Carribean last night and saw the occasional motion artifacts.  Also saw them on blu ray of Lord of the Rings in the Store. Checked out "phosphor trails" on internet, and this is not that.  It looks like pixelation around (but not on) a moving figure or two juxtaposed moving backgrounds.  Again around, not on, as if the background processing can't keep up with the foreground processing.  I've seen a much worse version of this kind of blur before on LED/LCDs, but to be honest, I've not spent that much time watching plasma, so I don't know if it would/should appear on Plasma or is from source material. 

I know that Neflix compresses, and that its 720 p, etc., but was wondering if there's any advice about how to get rid of these background motion blur / motion artifacts.  Please note that no one else notices them, and the salesman in the store said I was the first person to notice them (but he knew what I was talking about after I pointed them out to him).  

Further confusing me is that I DID NOT see them on kid's Pokemon show, or on National Geographic's "Amazing Planet" which I also streamed from Netflix.  Not once.  I'm wondering if it is a digital content / conversion product.  Not sure. 

Have been watching in THX Cinema because no remote came with the TV and I still am waiting for it to come from the internet seller from whom i purchased it (hopefully today).  So, I'm interested in your comments to put that remote to good use when it comes.

Thanks!!

- Rtem

as u said urself, compressed or streamed content has inferior quality. even disc content is - at the end of the day - compressed and down sampled but the best source currently available to consumer to use as reference footage...

I've seen ghosting in LOTR and Hobbit as well as other movies, it can appear on camera pans around high contrast edges...

One thing u need to do is turn all internal processing off.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
post #13775 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Hi guys -

Thanks!!

- Rtem

If you have a smartphone you can download the remote control app. Look for it in the app store. Not sure if all the controls are there but it's free.
post #13776 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

as u said urself, compressed or streamed content has inferior quality. even disc content is - at the end of the day - compressed and down sampled but the best source currently available to consumer to use as reference footage...

I've seen ghosting in LOTR and Hobbit as well as other movies, it can appear on camera pans around high contrast edges...

One thing u need to do is turn all internal processing off.

This was good advice.  I did this and it helped alot.  I was looking really hard, and noticed it happened maybe once after doing this.  Really quite a dramatic improvement.  

Also, had been streaming through a Roku box (until remote came today) and after I set up the internal Netflix, the picture quality got alot better.  Another thing of interest is that Panasonic happily included an Amazon Prime streaming app, which claims to have HD streaming, which whether compressed or not, looks really good on this TV.

Really relieved because the picture looks much, much better without the processing.

Thanks again for this excellent advice.  I really can see now why everyone gives this TV rave reviews.  The picture is incredible. 

post #13777 of 14964 Old 03-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

This was good advice.  I did this and it helped alot.  I was looking really hard, and noticed it happened maybe once after doing this.  Really quite a dramatic improvement.  

Also, had been streaming through a Roku box (until remote came today) and after I set up the internal Netflix, the picture quality got alot better.  Another thing of interest is that Panasonic happily included an Amazon Prime streaming app, which claims to have HD streaming, which whether compressed or not, looks really good on this TV.

Really relieved because the picture looks much, much better without the processing.

Thanks again for this excellent advice.  I really can see now why everyone gives this TV rave reviews.  The picture is incredible. 

and this is just the start.... once u properly calibrate the set it'll look even better... much better ! smile.gif

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
post #13778 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 AM

hello, I received my 65vt60 tv and I can not find the profesionel mode 1 or 2..

tank you

post #13779 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligastia View Post

tank you
Go into menu, setup, scroll down to isfccc mode and turn it on.
post #13780 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligastia View Post

tank you
You can find that info here along with some other helpful tips that might help you out.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1513205/plasma-help-guide-with-focus-on-panasonic-vt60-most-common-plasma-questions-answered-here

Congrats on the TV.
post #13781 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Just made an impulse buy for my sitting room in my bedroom. Room is 11x11 and figured why not throw a projector in there.

My budget was zero dollars so I needed to keep it as cheap as I could. Bought a new 720p 3D projector, a 92" 16x9 screen, a ceiling mount and a used like new Samsung 3D blu-ray player all for under $600! That is crazy. Would have loved to go 1080p but going from nothing to something will be good enough for now and really did not have a dollar more to spend!

So that was a little off topic but needed to share that with you guys because I blame that impulse buy on this site! Lol

Also have an iD3 meter coming this week and I am going to try and dabble with calibrating my VT60. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of calibrating so it will be a huge learning curve but I am excited to see how off my picture actually is with DNICE settings which I am currently running on my VT60. Again, I blame this purchase on this site!

When I first joined this site I knew nothing about TV's and at the time just purchased a 47" non smart LG LED 3D TV. Man, how things have changed. The more you hang out here the more you want!

I will have to fight the urge to get an OLED when they become more accessible because I can already see the posts here that will make everyone want to run out and spend thousands on one. Especially you Vinnie!
vinnie97 likes this.
post #13782 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucker View Post

I got very lucky this past Monday when I found a TC-P60VT60 that was the display model at Best Buy. I live in Chattanooga which is about two hours from Nashville, Atlanta and Knoxville. I got on Best Buy's site and pulled up stores in each of these cities and starting looking at open box and clearance items for each of the stores. I found two 60" ST60's and then I found what I really wanted the VT60. I called the store and I explained to the sales person how to check the hours. It only had 650 hours of use and it was not any of the Panasonic feeds with a lot of their logo. I told him to hold the TV for me and I made arrangements to drive up there. I had to rent a van since the unit would not fit in either of my cars and then a drove the 2 and half hours to the store which is north of Nashville. Since it was an open box item I got it for a discount.

The sales rep told me they weren't even supposed to have the VT60 since they are not a Magnolia store. I was really fortunate on several counts. Anyway, I thought all chances of getting this TV were gone, but I decided to look again Monday morning and by 10:00 PM Monday evening, I was home with my new VT60 - hang in there!

Stucker,

What tests did you do on the display model before buying the VT60? A local store has a display model 65VT60 on sale and the sales manager may be willing to deal.

Thx.
post #13783 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyben View Post

Just purchased an open box 65 inch last night, plan on picking it up tomorrow night. However they cannot locate the large remote, I have a panny remote from my entry level 5 yr old plasma that I assume will work. I know it does not have the USB button, I am not sure about any other functions that would be missing. So is it worth picking one up online?

This will be replacing a 47" Samsung CRT projection, I am very excited to get this bad boy in my bonus room.

Soyben,

What was the final resolution regarding the missing remote:
post #13784 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 AM

hello everyone, I bought a VT60 floor model 60 inch for 1500, has less than 300 hours. but when I put a white screen up at the bottom right I can see a faint LG logo. Ran the flipper over night and I " think " it helped. before on red screens I could see it but now I really have to look.

4 questions ;

good buy? my budget is 1600

what settings should I run the flipper at, contrast and brightness? 
ran the flipper over night once ... had to borrow a Panasonic blu ray player from BB because my sony shuts off after 30 mins 

because I can't notice the IR or Burn in when watching movies should I even worry about it? hahah 

I don't play games often , but my wife and I like to play Mario on the wii U for a hour or two every other day or so. because the TV has 300 ish hours are we ok to play games and not have to worry about Burn In? Contrast low of course.

thanks! also sorry if these questions been ask in another thread.

post #13785 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM

They never found the remote, I have been using the remote from my other Panny for the most part. The small remote does appear to allow you to access the the the USB/SD card although I have not done anything with it.

I do have some IR on it. I had a nice ESPN logo and a small line across the bottom and some stacked horizontal lines on the left side, which is only noticeable on really light screens such as hockey. I have run the Disney WOW pixel flipper some, I can't see the stacked horizontal lines anymore, I still the the logo and bottom line. When I first noticed it I pointed it out to the wife, she didn't know what I was talking about.
post #13786 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyben View Post

They never found the remote, I have been using the remote from my other Panny for the most part.

If you're interested in getting an OEM remove, the one for the VT60 is model # N2QAYB000862 and is $24.06 at Panasonic's parts dept online store.

The ST60 remote is # N2QAYB000837 and is cheaper at $12.39 - it has the same buttons but a slightly different layout, and is not lighted.

http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr/PartslistChoice.asp

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #13787 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM

Liked: 19

I just recently purchased a 65VT60 but most of the bluray movies (on an old bluray player) I watch are 2.35:1 and it creates black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.  2 questions:

1) will it create an IR on the screen?

2) other than using the "sidecut zoom" to fill it in, is there any other way?

7.0 HT Setup:
***Polk RTIA9 / CSIA6 / FXIA6 / RTIA3**Dual PB-2000**Pioneer SC-1222K**Panasonic 65"VT60**Sony BDP-BX510***

post #13788 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

I just recently purchased a 65VT60 but most of the bluray movies (on an old bluray player) I watch are 2.35:1 and it creates black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.  2 questions:

1) will it create an IR on the screen?
2) other than using the "sidecut zoom" to fill it in, is there any other way?
I wouldn't worry too much about black bars. Just don't exclusively watch black bar'd content... try to mix it up a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosgreg View Post

hello everyone, I bought a VT60 floor model 60 inch for 1500, has less than 300 hours. but when I put a white screen up at the bottom right I can see a faint LG logo. Ran the flipper over night and I " think " it helped. before on red screens I could see it but now I really have to look.

4 questions ;

good buy? my budget is 1600 Being from Canada, I dunno. Our pricing is a lot higher up here.

what settings should I run the flipper at, contrast and brightness?  Do you mean the pixel flipper on the Disney WoW disc? If so, I would run it in Vivid mode with the Contrast at 100

ran the flipper over night once ... had to borrow a Panasonic blu ray player from BB because my sony shuts off after 30 mins 

because I can't notice the IR or Burn in when watching movies should I even worry about it? hahah If it's not very noticeable, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I don't play games often , but my wife and I like to play Mario on the wii U for a hour or two every other day or so. because the TV has 300 ish hours are we ok to play games and not have to worry about Burn In? Contrast low of course. Your TV was no more or less prone to IR/burn in from day 1 compared to now. Just like you should always do with a phosphor based display, try to mix up your viewing content a bit. If you play a few hours of video games, mix it with a bit of something else. Most people's viewing habits are mixed enough that burn in/IR shouldn't be much of a problem with regular use. Also set the contrast to whatever makes you happy... don't keep it low because you're worried about burn in/IR.

thanks! also sorry if these questions been ask in another thread.
Answers in red.
HKPolkMe likes this.
post #13789 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the reply! and Yes I was referring to the flipper from Disney WoW

1500 USD for the TV ....haha USD basically = CAD currency now a days ..... but to be exact I paid 1658 loons ;) 

post #13790 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
You will get uneven wear eventually if you use it to watch a lot of movies in proper ARs. That's why I've been watching as much full-screen content as possible (Neflix) on my ZT60 at nearly 2000 hours.
post #13791 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You will get uneven wear eventually if you use it to watch a lot of movies in proper ARs. That's why I've been watching as much full-screen content as possible (Neflix) on my ZT60 at nearly 2000 hours.

Vinnie,

Are you still able to keep the long duration IR at bay? Is it as much of a problem at 2000 hours , or has it gotten any better?
post #13792 of 14964 Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I'm probably much closer to 1800 hours actually. It seems to still be pretty ornery and resistant. I swear I'm seeing what looks like a trace of the Netflix navigation bar these days. On the other hand, some Oppo playback graphics that were on yesterday evening for a significant amount of time don't seem to have caused any undue IR.
post #13793 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 02:30 AM

So chad your going to be in Texas ? I'm in Corpus Christi and I would love a calibration. Do you still have any spots open and would you come down to corpus ?
post #13794 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippanny View Post

So chad your going to be in Texas ? I'm in Corpus Christi and I would love a calibration. Do you still have any spots open and would you come down to corpus ?

Easiest way to get in touch with him and book him is via his website.

http://hdtvbychadb.com/
Chad B likes this.
post #13795 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that Neflix compresses, and that its 720 p, etc., but was wondering if there's any advice about how to get rid of these background motion blur / motion artifacts. 
Thanks!!

- Rtem
Netflix actually streams in 1080P. If you click the info button on your remote it will tell you at what resolution it is streaming at. Of course it also depends on your network speed.
post #13796 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 AM

Liked: 22
Update on my IR issue when gaming. Play xbox for 3 hours + run pixel flipper from WOW disc for 90 minutes afterwards = IR gone. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Donat76 likes this.
post #13797 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippanny View Post

I believe I could but I will have to look into it. If you could fill out the contact form on my website my scheduler will let you know for sure. Thanks.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #13798 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm having a problem with the audio control option on this TV. It seems like every other time I turn the TV on it will successfully connect with the receiver and allow volume control through the TV to the receiver. Every other time when press the volume button on the Panasonic remote, the volume will increase on the TV and not the receiver. Every time it does this I have to go into the apps settings and set it to "Home Theater" and it works. It will then work the next time I turn it on but than will not work the following time I turn the TV on. I did not have this problem with the Sony that was originally in the 65VT60s place and hooked up to the same receiver.

Does anyone else have this issue and what could I be doing wrong?

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #13799 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

I'm having a problem with the audio control option on this TV. It seems like every other time I turn the TV on it will successfully connect with the receiver and allow volume control through the TV to the receiver. Every other time when press the volume button on the Panasonic remote, the volume will increase on the TV and not the receiver. Every time it does this I have to go into the apps settings and set it to "Home Theater" and it works. It will then work the next time I turn it on but than will not work the following time I turn the TV on. I did not have this problem with the Sony that was originally in the 65VT60s place and hooked up to the same receiver.

Check to see if you have viera link on in menu under setup too.
post #13800 of 14964 Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

My experience is you have to let the TV turn the amp on through HDMI (Viera Linc) or else it will use the internal speaker.

I have also set my Harmony remote to never turn the amp on (amp always on or something to that effect) so that it will no override the TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page