Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 466 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13951 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got my supposedly new Panasonic VT60 today from a webstore based in my in city. Sold to me as 'brand new straight from Panasonic'... well it doesn't look it. It looks like a display model. The screen is covered in fine scratches like its been polished with an abrasive cloth. frown.gif I doubt they'll have a new replacement.

I just emailed them, I'll see what they come back with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13952 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakirk View Post

So I got my supposedly new Panasonic VT60 today from a webstore based in my in city. Sold to me as 'brand new straight from Panasonic'... well it doesn't look it. It looks like a display model. The screen is covered in fine scratches like its been polished with an abrasive cloth. frown.gif I doubt they'll have a new replacement.

Very questionable to find a new VT60 at this time. May I ask what size and the price you paid.
post #13953 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV68 View Post

Which of these two Samsung 3D glasses works better with the VT60, or perhaps another model or brand?

Samsung SSG-4100GB

Samsung SSG-5150GB

Thanks

I don't think one performs better than the other, the 5150 model looks sturdier to me

FYI the tint on the Samsung glasses is a little different if you have had a pro cal it may skew your color perception

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13954 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Have you checked the hours on it? I'd do this as early in your use as you can.

Hit menu, help, version and look at Status 4. The hours are on the left of the hyphen. Should look something like A0098 for 98 hours.
post #13955 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone been able to utilize the Lenovo N5902 keypad remote for the multmedia functions?
post #13956 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I don't think one performs better than the other, the 5150 model looks sturdier to me

FYI the tint on the Samsung glasses is a little different if you have had a pro cal it may skew your color perception
Thank you sir. I have not had my set calibrated. In your opinion, will the difference be enough to make it distracting? Would I be better off spending more just get original Panasonic glasses?
post #13957 of 15686 Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 554
No I don't think it is a major difference I have used the samsungs on my set

Go Blackhawks !

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13958 of 15686 Old 04-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat69 View Post

This is what I am seeing on my TV and my laptop.

So my question is, Why does my PC (laptop, Windows 8.1) ask for a WPS Pin for the TV when trying to connect and says that I can get it from the TV or in the info that came with it if (according to Panasonic) the Panasonic VT60 does not have a WPS Pin? Obviously the VT60 wants confirmation of the WPS Pin before allowing connection.

Someone please help me with this.

I know I am replying to an older post, but I was trying to pair (display mirroring) my Windows 8.1 laptop with my TC-P65VT60 and kept seeing this post while desperately looking for an answer.

I figured it out, and now have a functioning VT60 as a beautiful second display, so I'm posting the solution here for the benefit of posterity.

Setting the expectations:

Trying to use Windows 8.1 Charm->Devices->Find a wireless display with VT60 Mirroring app won't work. It will ask for a WPS PIN, and VT60 doesn't supply any. If someone finds how to get this elusive PIN, please share.

Using the PIN from the modem used to connect VT60 and the computer into one network also won't work.

Creating an ad-hoc network (hotspot) between VT60 and the computer with a PIN also won't work.

Apparently, Windows 8.1 is waiting for a PIN generated by the VT60 - but I couldn't find a way to discover it. Moreover, the Miracast technology (this is what we are trying to use here) implementation in Windows 8.1 is almost completely nontransparent, and draws a lot of criticism from users.

If this is not enough, the Mirroring app on VT60 has the warning / popup that Wireless connection will no be available when trying to connect (maybe only partially true, because I and others, apparently, witnessed some kind of attempt at a handshake between the two devices - to only disconnect or crash a moment later). I don't understand the warning since the whole point of wireless mirroring is to do it without cables and over Wi-Fi, but I guess with the Panasonic exiting the market we won't get answers.

The mirroring app might still work on Android devices, I haven't tried. I suggest downloading the Panasonic official remote control app and trying connecting from within the app's mirroring menu. 

How to solve it:

1. Download and install Intel Wi-Di application, version 4.1.19.0 (from http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62001-62500/sp62309.exe or http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=FMW39). Don't attempt to install a never version, 4.2.24.0 - it is blocked from installation on Windows 8.1. Even older versions, 3.5.40.0 and 3.5.40.1 worked on my laptop.

2. Obviously, the advice is to update all your relevant drivers beforehand - video card, chipset, wi-fi adapter, etc. - but I'm not sure how critical it is.

3. Once Wi-Di is installed and rebooted, restart your VT60 as well, and go to DNLA Media Server app (again, no Charms menu on Windows 8.1, and no Mirroring app on VT60 - they won't work).

4. Start the Wi-Di program on your computer. Click scan. It should find your TV and you should see the corresponding name in the DNLA Server app as well.

5. If the Wi-Di program doesn't recognize the TV, go to Settings -> General -> check "Scan for legacy devices".

6. Once the computer and the TV recognize each other, you will be prompted on the computer to allow some sort of add-on / module to run. Accept it and you should be connected.

7. The initial connecting experience is somewhat less consistent for me - sometimes the add-on pop-up comes and goes momentarily, sometimes the cloned screen on TV is bound to the upper right corner of the TV - but you can play with it - restarting the computer / TV / Wi-Di program until you figure out what sequence of clicks works for you.

Conclusion:

In the end, I am able to see a full replica of my laptop screen on the gorgeous VT60 - and once they are connected, the VT60 behaves exactly as any external monitor (now you can use Windows 8.1 Charms->Devices->Project, or your video card software to make the TV an extended desktop, position the 2 screens on top of each other or however you prefer to arrange them, and so forth).

The downsides that I notice are (1) the lag between input (mouse cursor on TV moves a second after you actually move it on the laptop, although videos play without a hitch once you place them on the extended desktop) - might have something to do with the speed of my Wi-Fi connection; (2) lack of sound on both the TV and the computer - still need to figure this aspect out. 

With all that said - I'm still very happy that I was able to tap into the mirror-screen functionality on my expensive set, which was important to me - and I can serf the web and share my Excel files with my family on the big screen as well.

Additional reading is on Intel threads, particularly here: https://communities.intel.com/message/218348.

Hope it helps someone else and please add to this thread / post if you figure out how to tweak this further. Thanks!

post #13959 of 15686 Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Very questionable to find a new VT60 at this time. May I ask what size and the price you paid.

55 inch, paid $2,100 (in Australia that's a very good price for the TV).

After watching some content and playing some InFamous Second Son on PS4 over the weekend I've got to say I'm very impressed with the picture, so it's a shame about the scratches. I'm going to see if Panasonic will replace the glass - apparently these guys are authorised dealers.

I haven't checked how many hours it's done, I'll check when I get home from work tonight.
post #13960 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Wow, you managed to find one? Did u get it for a good price too? When something appears to good to be true it usually is
post #13961 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

Probably someone used the light pen on it! smile.gif

That sucks because the scratches are likely in the filter which means they're impossible to minimize. I swear these VTs are the most delicate plasmas I've ever seen. My old 46" and 50" sets have no scratches even after several moves and wiimotes thrown at them. They just don't make them like they used to I guess.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #13962 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

That sucks because the scratches are likely in the filter which means they're impossible to minimize. I swear these VTs are the most delicate plasmas I've ever seen. My old 46" and 50" sets have no scratches even after several moves and wiimotes thrown at them. They just don't make them like they used to I guess.

Did you ever think that some less than intelligent person decided to use something other than the pen that Panasonic sells for this type of use? My VT60 is almost a year old and has it has been a great, I don't miss watching my Kuro at all. No IR problems, minor buzzing on white slides and of course a little fan noise that is taken care of with volume or ambient noise from the HVAC system. Most important - the picture is outstanding. Masters looked great this weekend, Pacific Rim on HBO showed off its ability on darker scenes as did the blu-ray I watched when it came out months ago. Saying that the quality is no inferior to your older plasmas based on scratches on this display and only God knows how they got there - seriously rolleyes.gif

Back to watching one of the best plasmas made, take it over an older one any day. Just grateful to have bought one before the end.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #13963 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

I always wondered why they didn't put the anti-glare coating on the inside of the glass. If they'd done that, you could polish out scratches quite easily.
post #13964 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Interesting idea but wouldn't you then still have glare? and a blurry image? Panasonic had AG plasmas and they were not top sellers

I don't think glass front would cancel out the loss of contrast
post #13965 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Did you ever think that some less than intelligent person decided to use something other than the pen that Panasonic sells for this type of use? My VT60 is almost a year old and has it has been a great, I don't miss watching my Kuro at all. No IR problems, minor buzzing on white slides and of course a little fan noise that is taken care of with volume or ambient noise from the HVAC system. Most important - the picture is outstanding. Masters looked great this weekend, Pacific Rim on HBO showed off its ability on darker scenes as did the blu-ray I watched when it came out months ago. Saying that the quality is no inferior to your older plasmas based on scratches on this display and only God knows how they got there - seriously rolleyes.gif

Back to watching one of the best plasmas made, take it over an older one any day. Just grateful to have bought one before the end.

Wow. Just.... Wow. You actually turned a comment about the sensitivity of the VT60s screen to scratches and marks as a knock against the entire display including it's picture quality which I stated nothing about. Nice to see the posters here are as rationale and level headed as they were the last time I was here.

Aaand I'm back to ignoring his thread for another month. Later fellas.

--Carl Sagan
post #13966 of 15686 Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. Just.... Wow. You actually turned a comment about the sensitivity of the VT60s screen to scratches and marks as a knock against the entire display including it's picture quality which I stated nothing about. Nice to see the posters here are as rationale and level headed as they were the last time I was here.

Aaand I'm back to ignoring his thread for another month. Later fellas.

I didn't see anything positive in your post and the assumption that the scratches came from a pen are baseless and speculative at best - you want to talk about rationale? A kid with keys or a toy could of been the problem - who knows. That being said I hope you are enjoying yours as much as am. When you come down off the cloud join us but at this point not much to discuss..

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
post #13967 of 15686 Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM

Liked: 15
Chad B calibrated my 65" VT60 in February, targeting a 2.2 gamma curve, using mid panel brightness (39 fL). The results were fantastic, especially at 96Hz w/ 1080p Direct ON and the Motion Smoother on Weak. I despise motion smoothing but the Weak setting actually looks better with 96Hz vs. having motion smoothing off. It does not introduce the "soap opera" effect in 96HZ mode when set to Weak; however, at 60Hz, I have the motion smoothing turned off as it produces the "soap opera" effect in spades.

Recently I had Chad B re-calibrate my set. This time I wanted a BT.1886 gamma curve with high panel brightness. The results are spectacular! Light output is 46 fL. I view my VT60 in a light-controlled room and have experienced zero eye fatigue even with lights off. Dark scenes now closely resemble the 9G Elite Kuro I once owned. I still see plenty of shadow detail, but the VT60 now rises out of black more "naturally" to my eyes. Kuro flashbacks are abundant smile.gif. The only downside to the high panel brightness calibration is a minimal increase in dithering with really dark material, but it's not noticeable from normal seating distance. It's worth the trade off for the added light output. Images now pop with a highly detailed 3D effect I've never before seen on a 1080p display. Chad B utilizes techniques that result in very accurate and satisfying high panel brightness calibrations. If you want the most out of your VT60, give Chad a shout! www.hdtvbychadb.com
Chad B and DavidHir like this.
post #13968 of 15686 Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwize View Post

Chad B calibrated my 65" VT60 in February ...

Recently I had Chad B re-calibrate my set.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #13969 of 15686 Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Chad will calibrating my ZT60 next week. Can't wait to see the changes in my set.
post #13970 of 15686 Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

Chad will calibrating my ZT60 next week. Can't wait to see the changes in my set.

Look forward to your impressions and please post your pre and post calibration reports. I have no doubt it will be money well spent. Don't forget to include you impressions on the bright panel setting - if you have him do that for you.

post #13971 of 15686 Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

You'll be very happy. smile.gif

post #13972 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 AM

So I've
Quote:

So here's the problem. I can send it back to them for a full refund, but they have no replacement stock. There's a few smaller name websites with stock around, but after this experience I don't know whether I can trust them or not.

The question is whether or not I keep the TV I've got, or get the refund and risk never owning a VT60 frown.gif WHAT A DECISION! What pees me off is that I love the picture, but when the thing is turned off all I can see are scratches.
post #13973 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I've
So here's the problem. I can send it back to them for a full refund, but they have no replacement stock. There's a few smaller name websites with stock around, but after this experience I don't know whether I can trust them or not.

The question is whether or not I keep the TV I've got, or get the refund and risk never owning a VT60 frown.gif WHAT A DECISION! What pees me off is that I love the picture, but when the thing is turned off all I can see are scratches.

How many hours on the panel? And, how close do you have to be to see the scratches?
post #13974 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:

How many hours on the panel? And, how close do you have to be to see the scratches?

I've had it less than a week - not sure how many hours. They keep telling me its brand new.
Quote:

EDIT: Just checked the hours. It's only got 27 hours on the panel, so its not a demo, it's a manufacturing defect. To see the scratches the set has to be off, and you have to be fairly close, but they literally cover the screen, like it was polished the wrong way.
post #13975 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I've had it less than a week - not sure how many hours. They keep telling me its brand new.
EDIT: Just checked the hours. It's only got 27 hours on the panel, so its not a demo, it's a manufacturing defect. To see the scratches the set has to be off, and you have to be fairly close, but they literally cover the screen, like it was polished the wrong way.

That's a crying shame! Maybe you can order one of the ones from the smaller venders and ensure it is perfect before returning this one? eek.gif
post #13976 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 AM

I know it's a long shot, but are you sure those are actually scratches? I ask because whenever I clean my iPad/phone screen with a lint free cloth, it leaves small fibers behind that actually do look like scratches. They're fine and have deceived me numerous times, but when I gently reapply the cloth I can get rid of them. Again, I know it's a long shot, but who knows, maybe you're experiencing something similar.
post #13977 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So I've

My advice would be if you don't notice the scratches when it's on, keep the set and enjoy it. Just make sure they're scratches and not cracks.
post #13978 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjb View Post

My advice would be if you don't notice the scratches when it's on, keep the set and enjoy it. Just make sure they're scratches and not cracks.

+1.

When you say close, how close are you saying? Inches or feet? Are the scratches over the entire screen or just certain areas? Post a photo if you can.
But with only 27 hours on the set, I would consider keeping it.
post #13979 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I've

If you're anything like me it's going to drive you nuts having to look at those scratches. The real question is how good of a value the set really was. I'd have to take a considerable discount to put up with a marred screen. But then again-- if you have kids maybe you can just look at it being 'pre-scratched' and therefor won't need to murder your children when they inevitably scar it. smile.gif

As far as this sentiment of needing a vt60 before they're gone-- look, I'll bite, I bought a vt sooner than I really needed a new tv simply for the fact that it was the last, best plasma I'd ever be able to buy. But, make no mistake, if the vt I bought hadn't been on sale for a ridiculous price or had had anything obviously wrong with it I would have passed. As much as I like my set and as much as I enjoy plasma the fact of the matter is LCD isn't that bad that I'd be putting up with any shenanigans just to avoid watching one. Despite the doomsday talk and naysayers picture quality is still improving in LCD and while plasma will be greatly missed (especially in the cheap sets where the value to picture ratio is off the charts) good picture quality will always be available to buy.

--Carl Sagan
post #13980 of 15686 Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 624
Quote:

So I've
Quote:

If you do return it, I'd consider the F8500. You lose a little PQ but you don't lose as much as the LCD alternatives.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread