Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 469 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14041 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pafalzon View Post

I have a 55" VT60 which I have setup to stream movies from my NAS. I had some playback stability issues originally that was solved by adding static IP address's to the TV and the NAS however I recently noticed that the playback quality of a video file streamed to the VT60 media player is not of the same quality when playing back the same file using my PS3 as the media player. For example, if I play a animation show such as Family Guy or Bobs Burgers, the image is not as sharp and the lines are jagged when playback is done using the VT60 media player. It clearly looks better using the PS3 and is like comparing an SD quality image to 720p. I am using THX Cinema mode on both. Changing the picture mode does not make a difference. Any idea what is happening here? Thanks

I had a similar experience with my ST30. When I was wifi streaming shows to it a small sized file would play as a window in the center of the screen and look jaggy/ crappy. I then got a Boxee and the same video(175MB 30 min show) looked almost like HD and showing full screen. So at that point I decided the TV's player is just inadequate. Haven't tried anything like that on the VT, I'd like to think it's similar. It seems like any of these streaming services ect. should have a dedicated player.

Good to hear the Static IP helped the streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Also, have you found the Netflix App to be adequate?  I've been trying to use it as an alternative to the Apple TV Netflix App that has problems producing DD 5.1, and the Panasonic Netflix App has no issues providing the DD 5.1.  However the screen image buffers for a rather long time (45-60 seconds?) and then the HD image appears, but it often downgrades to "280" or something like that, instead of the 1080.

Further, it frequently stops and provides network error messages, and then flat out crashes.  Key word:  frequently.  I've tried re-setting up the wireless network and it reads full bars, but somehow the connection drops and it says it can't find the network.  I don't have an ethernet jack within reasonable distance, but might try that next.

My experience with the Panasonic Apps is limited to Netflix.  Is there a way to re-install the Apps?

post #14043 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

Also, have you found the Netflix App to be adequate?  I've been trying to use it as an alternative to the Apple TV Netflix App that has problems producing DD 5.1, and the Panasonic Netflix App has no issues providing the DD 5.1.  However the screen image buffers for a rather long time (45-60 seconds?) and then the HD image appears, but it often downgrades to "280" or something like that, instead of the 1080.

Further, it frequently stops and provides network error messages, and then flat out crashes.  Key word:  frequently.  I've tried re-setting up the wireless network and it reads full bars, but somehow the connection drops and it says it can't find the network.  I don't have an ethernet jack within reasonable distance, but might try that next.

My experience with the Panasonic Apps is limited to Netflix.  Is there a way to re-install the Apps?
My Netflix app on my VT60 has been superb. No issues at all. You can probably delete the app and then reinstall it.

It might also be an issue with your router. Did you try unplugging your router then plugging it back in? Sometimes that will help or maybe you just need a stronger router.
post #14044 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

My Netflix app on my VT60 has been superb. No issues at all. You can probably delete the app and then reinstall it.

It might also be an issue with your router. Did you try unplugging your router then plugging it back in? Sometimes that will help or maybe you just need a stronger router.

I have tried the easy stuff, like resetting the Router.  I have the Motorola NVG589 from ATT Uverse and the 40mbps service.  I have thought about trying to augment the strength of the wireless router with some former of repeater/extender but have read that many products out there actually are counterproductive and further restrict bandwidth.

Probably the best solution would be an ethernet connection, but I'm trying to minimize the wires everywhere.

post #14045 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Hi all guys,
I just got a panasonic p50vt60t plasma tv and I need your help to set it the best way.

Ages ago I've bought an x-rite eye one display2 colorimeter to set my pc lcd ips screen, is there a way to use it to set my panasonic plasma tv or is it better to avoid it?

Can someone please give me some advices on tv advanced video setting options and a way to make an "approximate calibration" using specific patterns or test dvd discs?

Thanks for the help.

post #14046 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Hi Lucas,

I have the same meter and it is not very accurate(and has likely drifted) unless you can profile it with a Spectro like an I1pro. Also you would need calibration software such as Calman, Chromapure or HCFR. Your other option would be a calibration disc like AVS709(can be downloaded on the calibration forum, Disney Wow or Spears and Munsil. WIth those discs you can set basic controls such as Brightness, Contrast and Sharpness. If you decide to try a calibration yourself I would recommend the I1D3 meter it is about $230 dollars and is much better than the I1D2.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14047 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Hi Lucas,

I have the same meter and it is not very accurate(and has likely drifted) unless you can profile it with a Spectro like an I1pro. Also you would need calibration software such as Calman, Chromapure or HCFR. Your other option would be a calibration disc like AVS709(can be downloaded on the calibration forum, Disney Wow or Spears and Munsil. WIth those discs you can set basic controls such as Brightness, Contrast and Sharpness. If you decide to try a calibration yourself I would recommend the I1D3 meter it is about $230 dollars and is much better than the I1D2.

Thanks man, I'm gonna go for the "disc way"... I see you have the same panny vt60 but bigger version how did you set the options like Intelligent Frame Creation, Brilliance Enhancer, Noise Reduction etc? Did you turn everything off?

post #14048 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

All that should be off, your version has some differences from the NA version. Your IFC is called motion smoother on the NA models I believe and I would recommend "off" or "weak" for that setting.
mo949 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #14049 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a 55" VT60 which I have setup to stream movies from my NAS. I had some playback stability issues originally that was solved by adding static IP address's to the TV and the NAS however I recently noticed that the playback quality of a video file streamed to the VT60 media player is not of the same quality when playing back the same file using my PS3 as the media player. For example, if I play a animation show such as Family Guy or Bobs Burgers, the image is not as sharp and the lines are jagged when playback is done using the VT60 media player. It clearly looks better using the PS3 and is like comparing an SD quality image to 720p. I am using THX Cinema mode on both. Changing the picture mode does not make a difference. Any idea what is happening here? Thanks

Upon further testing it seems the issue is more so with upscaling SD content. PS3 does a much better job of this compared to the VT60. Does anyone know if there are any upscale settings on the VT60 that can be adjusted?

Panasonic P55VT60, PS3, Apple TV, ReadyNAS Ultra2+, Logitech Z5500, Sennheiser RS170
post #14050 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Always on and I would recommend that you don't use some of the other settings like noise reduction, etc. You do realize that it is well documented (be it myth or fact) that Sony has always enjoyed a better stream from Netflix as well as the latest greatest GUI. Not to start the flames, but Panasonic has never really been known for great SMART functions and personally I use my Oppo, AppleTV or Roku for streaming anything/everything. Panasonic is at the mercy of Netflix as far as what is provided from their app.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #14051 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Sheesh! And here I thought the Amazon Instant Prime app was severely lacking on the VT60 especially when it comes to rewinding and fast forwarding..............
post #14052 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Hi All sorry just to clarify. I am using the Media Server app to playback moves/TV series from my NAS. Not the Media Player app. Only issue I have now is not so good SD up scaling. HD source looks great. Would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve this?

Panasonic P55VT60, PS3, Apple TV, ReadyNAS Ultra2+, Logitech Z5500, Sennheiser RS170
post #14053 of 14974 Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM

I just got a New TV I thought (60Vt60 Aug Build 2013) when I go to the Version Status4 it says A0088-00000 . Did about a Hour or so of slides . Whent back then it was at A0090-00000 So now Im Pissed . A Band New Used. TV . Did you guys have Some Protective Film On the Entire Screen when new ? cause mine did not have any plastic protector on the screen. And can someone confirm that this is the proper Hourly Count Status4 . I was going to Run Slides then try D-nice Settings then Get A Pro Calibration done at 300-500 hr mark . Its a Big Pain to Return as its about 60 miles away . Oh what to do ? Take it back or Keep it ?
post #14054 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybrains View Post

I just got a New TV I thought (60Vt60 Aug Build 2013) when I go to the Version Status4 it says A0088-00000 . Did about a Hour or so of slides . Whent back then it was at A0090-00000 So now Im Pissed . A Band New Used. TV . Did you guys have Some Protective Film On the Entire Screen when new ? cause mine did not have any plastic protector on the screen. And can someone confirm that this is the proper Hourly Count Status4 . I was going to Run Slides then try D-nice Settings then Get A Pro Calibration done at 300-500 hr mark . Its a Big Pain to Return as its about 60 miles away . Oh what to do ? Take it back or Keep it ?
It's possible that all sets that leave the factory may not have zero hours in the counter.

Where are you located? Who did you buy your set from?

Your set may have been returned, but that's something to be worked out with the dealer. If the V60 models come with a protective cover on the screen, I don't recall anyone mentioning it.

I haven't heard of a new VT60 in the US for a while. If everything about the set is OK then maybe the dealer will discount it, if they did represent it as new.

If you return it, your best bet to get a new plasma would be the Samsung F8500.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14055 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 AM

Oh so its possible than Ran that many hours at the Factory ?. I got the 60vt60 Tv North end Toronto Canada , There are a only a few 60Vt60 left at a few stores in Ontario but still lots of 60ZT60 and Panasonic Canada Warehouse stills has 60ZT60 listed at the Dealer Website as of this week . I was Looking at the 8500 but the Vt60 was cheaper . I'm going to call the dealer to hear what they have to say . Thanks
post #14056 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Oh so its possible than Ran that many hours at the Factory ?. I got the 60vt60 Tv North end Toronto Canada , There are a only a few 60Vt60 left at a few stores in Ontario but still lots of 60ZT60 and Panasonic Canada Warehouse stills has 60ZT60 listed at the Dealer Website as of this week . I was Looking at the 8500 but the Vt60 was cheaper . I'm going to call the dealer to hear what they have to say . Thanks

I had altogether 4 VT60s... all came with ZERO hours...

OTOH, u shouldn't mind.... less time left for u to break it in.... biggrin.gif

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
post #14057 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless there is some obvious flaw like IR I wouldn't worry about it. The VT does not come with any plastic on the screen.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #14058 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

You do realize that it is well documented (be it myth or fact) that Sony has always enjoyed a better stream from Netflix as well as the latest greatest GUI.

Are you suggesting that I might get a better Netflix experience from my Sony BDP-S5100 bluray player?
post #14059 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm01 View Post

Are you suggesting that I might get a better Netflix experience from my Sony BDP-S5100 bluray player?

Yes - would be willing to bet on it.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #14060 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Hi All sorry just to clarify. I am using the Media Server app to playback moves/TV series from my NAS. Not the Media Player app. Only issue I have now is not so good SD up scaling. HD source looks great. Would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve this?

If you are using the wifi/lan then you are using the tv's dlna feature. The Media player app in your nas is just transcoding into something the tv can use. Same way your PC would do it. I haven't heard of any tweaks. Maybe the NAS server/program can be tweaked to convert to a higher resolution or a different program on it might help.
post #14061 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It's possible that all sets that leave the factory may not have zero hours in the counter.

Your set may have been returned, but that's something to be worked out with the dealer. If the V60 models come with a protective cover on the screen, I don't recall anyone mentioning it.

I haven't heard of a new VT60 in the US for a while. If everything about the set is OK then maybe the dealer will discount it, if they did represent it as new.

Eh guys I found out what happened with my 60vt60 Brand New Used TV with 88 hours on it. The Dealer Told me this TV is a Brand New Unit and are Not Allowed to sell Used TV's to Anyone without telling the Customer this Fact like floor models . They called Panasonic Canada and they said this TV is in Fact Brand New Unit From the Factory and has Never Been Returned .

Panasonic Canada said this TV got Pulled off the Assemble Line for Full Inspection and Full Testing that's why the 88 hr when I got it New. I guess Its like a Quality Control test every so many TV's they pull off the line and Run the Gears sort of speak. The Dealer Had someone Complain 4 Years ago about the same thing with 24 hours on it.

Does anyone know what they would do with the Extra Test ? . would they do some kind of Factory Calibration maybe ? . I was really pissed off last night but Now Im Ok because this TV should be Near Perfect Now with All the Extra Testing . Oh and Panasonic Said I can Get a Free 3D Blue Ray Player for the Trouble .
So Everything is Good . Thanks Guys
ChrisTheKid likes this.
post #14062 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Eh guys I found out what happened with my 60vt60 Brand New Used TV with 88 hours on it. The Dealer Told me this TV is a Brand New Unit and are Not Allowed to sell Used TV's to Anyone without telling the Customer this Fact like floor models . They called Panasonic Canada and they said this TV is in Fact Brand New Unit From the Factory and has Never Been Returned .

Panasonic Canada said this TV got Pulled off the Assemble Line for Full Inspection and Full Testing that's why the 88 hr when I got it New. I guess Its like a Quality Control test every so many TV's they pull off the line and Run the Gears sort of speak. The Dealer Had someone Complain 4 Years ago about the same thing with 24 hours on it.

Does anyone know what they would do with the Extra Test ? . would they do some kind of Factory Calibration maybe ? . I was really pissed off last night but Now Im Ok because this TV should be Near Perfect Now with All the Extra Testing . Oh and Panasonic Said I can Get a Free 3D Blue Ray Player for the Trouble .

Oh one note I forgot , The Dealer And Panasonic Canada Strongly Suggest " NOT To Do a Pro Calibration " on my Set .
post #14063 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Oh one note I forgot , The Dealer And Panasonic Canada Strongly Suggest " NOT To Do a Pro Calibration " on my Set .

this is all BS they told u

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
post #14064 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

That sounds crazy. I wonder what they meant. I can understand not doing calibration immediately. Let the set break in and make sure your satisfied. But the set comes with pro modes just for the purpose of getting a professional calibration.
post #14065 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

biggrin.gif

I want a free bluray player biggrin.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3, RP-3, RC-3, RS-3
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360, XBOX-ONE, PS3(60GB)
post #14066 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

Quote:

Panasonic Canada said this TV got Pulled off the Assemble Line for Full Inspection and Full Testing that's why the 88 hr when I got it New. ... would they do some kind of Factory Calibration maybe ? . Now Im Ok because this TV should be Near Perfect Now with All the Extra Testing . Oh and Panasonic Said I can Get a Free 3D Blue Ray Player for the Trouble .

In our area dealers avoided discussing professional calibration for years because they didn't want to suggest that there were hidden costs in the sets that they were selling.

When ever I ask about calibration I would get an answer something like most of our customers prefer the way the set looks out of the box. I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to promote the idea that their product needed calibration either.

Also, I wouldn't assume that Panasonic did any calibration on your set.

Anyway you seem to have gotten a good outcome. If you do get a calibration in the future be sure to look for someone with good recommendations here at AVS. You can use the links in the signature area at the bottom of my post to do that. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #14067 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Because they are clueless and/or deceptive.

post #14068 of 14974 Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you got a decent deal and there's nothing wrong with the TV, I wouldn't worry about it.
Your that much closer to breaking in the set to have it calibrated. But, not sure I buy what the dealer is saying.
post #14069 of 14974 Old 05-03-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post

Just a heads up that I experienced retention with 145 hours on the panel. I ran slides and the WOW pixel flipper plus normal use well past 400 hours until it's finally getting tougher to notice. I was worried for a few months that it would be permanent but I'm starting to feel a little better about it going away completely.

I'm coming up on almost 500 hours of usage which really is not much, but now I have retention from Peggle 2. Unfortunately the original retention I commented on is still very noticeable if a light blue sky is in the picture. This is my 4th panny plasma in 7 years and I never had these problems before. Starting to think this panel is defective. Contrast is at 48. This is starting to really upset me now.
post #14070 of 14974 Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Im on my second VT60 now. It would seem that image retention and image burn are both very possible on this unit. FYI I never had this issue on my P50S10A which in my opinion was an awesome TV.

My advice is to use THX Cinema mode on content such as Movies and TV series Bluray DVD etc. For free to air and cable I would use Normal mode for at least the very first 500 hours. FTA & Cable has too many static images like scrolling info bars on the news and logos such as Fox Sports. 100% do not use THX Bright room or any setting with high contrast when watching content with static images or you will suffer the same issues I experienced with my first VT60. I can't comment on Games as I don't play them but again keep contrast and brightness to a reasonable level.

My replacement VT60 only has 70 hours of use so far with no image burn or retention.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page