Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 472 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14131 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Mine is a April 2013 build without the fix and I very rarely hear them and when I do it is very faint.

Nope, I get frequent questions about whether I've turned the AC on or if I left the humidifier/dehumidifier running. Lol! Again, it's not offensive but you can clearly hear it even standing at the back of the room. Maybe the 55" models are louder due to them being smaller (ie less space for airflow and more chuffing).

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14132 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I've never seen any IR or heard any buzzing unless you count the faint whirring of the fans when everything goes quiet.

Reading all the growing pains everyone is going through in the OLED owners forum, I think it's safe to say we are the last bunch to own an amazing display that we'll be probably be holding on to for a long time wink.gif

OLED is gonna be gone before it even gets big.

And lucky for you that you don't hear buzzing. Posts like this make me want to force a tech to put 3 new boards in my TV. But I don't want fractures on my ZT either.
post #14133 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Can I have your crystal ball? wink.gif I hope to eventually replace my ZT with an OLED....LCD isn't on my radar, though I know I'm in the minority.
post #14134 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

My 55VT60 is one of the last manufactured, it had the fix, and it still sounds like a fan every time I turn it on regardless of content. It's a fairly inoffensive noise however and it only really bothers you when the movie gets quiet-- and then the sounds of frogs and crickets are louder than it so.

I'm getting a new VT60 to replace a faulty two week old one tomorrow. I sit at 8 feet and can hear the fans in a quiet scene but they are not too offensive. I've got the foam fix, all post September 2013 do, but my retailer was of the opinion that it made next to no difference and panasonic just needed to be seen to be doing something after all the complaints.

Will see if the news set is any quieter!

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #14135 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Can I have your crystal ball? wink.gif I hope to eventually replace my ZT with an OLED....LCD isn't on my radar, though I know I'm in the minority.

A quick scan of the OLED owners forum tells me OLED still has a long way to go to before being a reliable tech. I'm scared, as others are, that the combination of high prices, low demand, and high mortality rate will cause OLED to fail before it can gain any real traction in the market. As it is LG is te only company championing the tech-- Samsung has cooled and the Japanese are all but out. It's not looking good.

As for LCD-- it's fine. The best sets have superb picture quality and while they don't match up to the best that plasma has to offer they can come reasonably close with fewer caveats (or at least, a different list of caveats). The real problem is price: thanks to panasonic, videophiles on a budget could still afford a class leading picture without having to sell body parts. With the advent of 4k, LCD manufacturers are reserving their best pictures and features for te new 4k and curved sets which are pushing the boundaries of ridiculous pricing.

Aaand that's why I bought a VT. I made the mistake back in '09 of not jumping on a 50" kuro when I had the chance. My reasoning at the time was: it's expensive and other makes will match it soon. Five years later we're finally celebrating a display that can take the fight to those old sets and, ironically, also bemoaning the exit of yet another respected high end manufacturer. I wasn't missing out this time. Maybe in another five years I'll peak my head out to see what's what but I have a feeling my next stop is FP.

--Carl Sagan
post #14136 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 03:13 PM

You don't have to tell me, I'm in the middle of that firestorm, and there are really only 2 of us airing our dirty laundry list of early adopter issues! biggrin.gif But improvement may not be that far away...a lot will depend on the 2nd gen and its resilience against uneven wear (LG already has implemented solutions to resolve this, and I'm excited to see how it fares in actual product). The 1st gen is already better against burn-in versus plasma when it comes to static images. I'm no longer concerned about pixel stability problems.

Plasma and LCD were once new and fledgling display techs as well, and I think a lot of what you're seeing are the growing pains inherent with the commercial application of new tech. wink.gif
post #14137 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Shoulda stuck with my VT...to scared to get anything on this ZT checked. I feel even the little but if movement that's done while replacing the fans and or boards will cause fractures.
post #14138 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

I'm getting a new VT60 to replace a faulty two week old one tomorrow. I sit at 8 feet and can hear the fans in a quiet scene but they are not too offensive. I've got the foam fix, all post September 2013 do, but my retailer was of the opinion that it made next to no difference and panasonic just needed to be seen to be doing something after all the complaints.

Will see if the news set is any quieter!

You must be in the UK
post #14139 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

You must be in the UK

Yes London England. The song talks about a rainy night in Georgia but you should come here and it's spring!

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #14140 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Shoulda stuck with my VT...to scared to get anything on this ZT checked. I feel even the little but if movement that's done while replacing the fans and or boards will cause fractures.
What you feel isn't necessarily accurate, though. wink.gif
post #14141 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

^^^^ We definitely are a lucky bunch. I'm using customized settings until I can get an ISF calibration which will hopefully be very soon. If I had to nitpick I would say that Posterization on some OTA tv content mostly on night scenes with dark backgrounds and overall video processing of 1080i and 720p tv content (using an OPPO 103D to improve this which it has tremendously) are the only two things I can think of. I've never seen any IR or heard any buzzing unless you count the faint whirring of the fans when everything goes quiet.

Reading all the growing pains everyone is going through in the OLED owners forum, I think it's safe to say we are the last bunch to own an amazing display that we'll be probably be holding on to for a long time wink.gif
your calibration is coming soon. Look for an email from me next week outlining when I will be in Phoenix smile.gif
post #14142 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I dont know what Posterization is but I have a feeling if I find out what it is Id recognize it on everything when before I didnt even know it was there.

Sometimes this website can really affect your enjoyment of this hobby
Scott Oakley likes this.
post #14143 of 14930 Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

I dont know what Posterization is but I have a feeling if I find out what it is Id recognize it on everything when before I didnt even know it was there.

I agree. Not reading this anymore smile.gif

Panasonic P55VT60, PS3, Apple TV, ReadyNAS Ultra2+, Logitech Z5500, Sennheiser RS170
post #14144 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

As you know, I suggested very strongly in our PM exchange yesterday that you take the time you spend on here and use it to work with your vendor or Panasonic to either repair or replace your current TV. It seems you have chosen not to go that route.
Now, I am calling on my brothers here to join me in suggesting to you again, that you get off of here and use the time to address the perceived problems with your TV.

I hope my brothers on here will join me in this request. It may benefit all of us.
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #14145 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I recently picked up a refurbished P65VT60. There appears to be an issue with a 'brighter' spot displaying in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. The spot is the 1.5-2 inches wide. The image displays in the area, but it's just brighter, so it stands out. Any ideas what be the cause, or any hopes of repairing an issue like this?

Thanks for your help.
post #14146 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

As you know, I suggested very strongly in our PM exchange yesterday that you take the time you spend on here and use it to work with your vendor or Panasonic to either repair or replace your current TV. It seems you have chosen not to go that route.
Now, I am calling on my brothers here to join me in suggesting to you again, that you get off of here and use the time to address the perceived problems with your TV.

I hope my brothers on here will join me in this request. It may benefit all of us.
Scott

I am with you Scott. The shoulda coulda woudla is SO old. I wonder at times Self if you just enjoy being extra special or need attention - mama did call you crazy wink.gif
Since its 5 o'clock somewhere I raise a glass and wish you all the best with your future endeavors.
htwaits and Scott Oakley like this.
post #14147 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI to anyone unfamiliar or new to the site: the forum provides a tool to filter posts from other members. I might suggest simply using the tools provided instead of attempting to police the thread. It's also far easier than forming 'brotherhoods' or fellowships or the like.

--Carl Sagan
post #14148 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbball View Post

Hey all, I recently picked up a refurbished P65VT60. There appears to be an issue with a 'brighter' spot displaying in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. The spot is the 1.5-2 inches wide. The image displays in the area, but it's just brighter, so it stands out. Any ideas what be the cause, or any hopes of repairing an issue like this?

Thanks for your help.

Panasonic doesnt refurbish plasmas to my knowledge, in any case sounds like uneven wear.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14149 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Panasonic doesnt refurbish plasmas to my knowledge, in any case sounds like uneven wear.

Yeah, this wasn't an official Panasonic refurb, I found it at a local electronics shop. Is 'uneven wear' something that would be repairable, potentially?
post #14150 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbball View Post

Yeah, this wasn't an official Panasonic refurb, I found it at a local electronics shop. Is 'uneven wear' something that would be repairable, potentially?

You might be able to mitigate it somewhat with slides, can you post a picture ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #14151 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:

You might be able to mitigate it somewhat with slides, can you post a picture ?

Yeah, I'll try to post a good pic later this evening.

Thanks.
post #14152 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully it is something that can be rectified because the VT60 is one heck of a panel !

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #14153 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Just an FYI to anyone unfamiliar or new to the site: the forum provides a tool to filter posts from other members. I might suggest simply using the tools provided instead of attempting to police the thread. It's also far easier than forming 'brotherhoods' or fellowships or the like.

Thank you so very much!
htwaits likes this.
post #14154 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Scott

Well Scott you state if the buzz can be heard with volume at normal levels (15-20) and can still be heard than it's a problem. But I don't here it constantly when volume is up and only other time I hear the buzz is if it's a quiet scene. Other than that I can not hear it unless I mute the TV.
What I will do is mute the TV and play a bright scene and here how much it buzzes on the bright scene. For example Pacific Rim when you see the robot rise from the water the light on his chest makes the screen white. On mute you can hear It buzz then goes away after cuz the scene gets darker again. But with volume on you can not hear it at all.

Another member who had his boards replaced and fan fix done, screen did crack but I asked about the board replacement and he said they didn't change anything as far as buzzing it was still the same. He described with slides playing white buzzes loudest, RGB low to mild buzz, and dark slides no buzz at all. Seems pretty normal to me then. Unless TVs before August just like the fan fix done after August have different capacitors on them that don't buzz as much. And since we hae energy limits now they weren't able to use pure performance capacitors since they draw to much power.

So since it can only be heard intermittently and the fans aren't an issue at all to me I never thought they were to begin with, I think the solution is to get some speakers that front fire instead of the stock crappy ZT back panel speakers.

Also what I have described seems to be a lot of people's experiences with the buzz and I've had at least 5 people tell me it's normal compared to just 1(Scott) telling me it's not normal.

The risk just seems to great for something panasonic may not cover if it happens and for the little to no gain that may come from it.

If you guys think it's abnormal this will be my last post (but be truthful about it not just to get me off here). And I will get er done

Post from member to me about his 65ZT60 with 3500 hours on it: he had his boards and fan fix done then screen cracked and ended up with a May model. Describing the same thing I am experiencing to a capital T.

"Not sure that changing the boards out will make much difference. I'm pretty sure I have the exact same buzz that you do. Break-in slides are a perfect way to test this. On the light grey slides, the buzz is clearly audible from 10+ feet away as a high-pitched whine. the darker grey slides are barely audible. Even the bright green and red slides produce a medium buzzing level. When I'm typically watching a movie or TV, the volume level will usually drown out any of the buzzing for me. Only during quiet passages of a film with lots of light output have I ever noticed the buzzing during normal TV watching. I have very good hearing even in the 10kHz+ range so I would say I'm more sensitive to the sound than many other owners. While I'm not happy about the buzz, the overall picture quality makes up for it.

My 2006-vintage Fujitsu 50" plasma barely buzzes at all. If I put a full white field up on the screen I can hear a slight buzz if I put my ears to the screen or back panel - but that's the only way to hear it. The difference is the much beefier power supply and high-quality parts (particularly the capacitors). The Panasonics were built to be as cheap as possible - which is funny considering how they were pushing the whole "studio reference panel" thing. Cheap capacitors are what is causing the buzzing, plus a power supply designed more to meet energy star ratings instead of pure performance.

You could ask for all three boards to be swapped if you are going to have a tech come out (make sure he brings all three boards). Might as well do the fan fix while they are at it too. It is possible that you have an exceptionally loud buzzer on your hands and new boards might make a difference. When I had my boards swapped on the "microfractured" ZT, it made no difference at all.

Now that you know how to check the back panel, there shouldn't be any risk of getting the service done"
post #14155 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

your calibration is coming soon. Look for an email from me next week outlining when I will be in Phoenix smile.gif

Looking forward to it smile.gif
post #14156 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafalzon View Post

I agree. Not reading this anymore smile.gif

I'll try not to bring it up again smile.gif Again it's on rare content here and there that I notice it and thankfully I'm not obsessive enough to really worry about it. I just noticed it a lot for some reason last week but not this week wink.gif
post #14157 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well Scott you state if the buzz can be heard with volume at normal levels (15-20) and can still be heard than it's a problem. But I don't here it constantly when volume is up and only other time I hear the buzz is if it's a quiet scene. Other than that I can not hear it unless I mute the TV...............

Self, I really suggest you take some time and evaluate what you'd like to do for the long term with your set WITHOUT asking for anyone's opinion anymore. I come at this from an analytic point of view because I really believe no one can convince you of what you should do nor should they at this point. You've isolated your issue which according to you happens intermittently and not all the time. You know all your choices and options and what/ how to deal with it. Turn off AVS Forum for a day or two- sit down and try to live with your set for that time period with different content and come up with a final and comfortable decision then. Understand that there is NO PERFECT SET out there. Everyone compromises to a certain extent. Once you make your decision- stick with it because once you start polling/ asking for opinions you'll start torturing yourself all over again.

GOOD LUCK!
post #14158 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:

Maybe in another five years I'll peak my head out to see what's what but I have a feeling my next stop is FP.
As someone who recently jumped into front projection, may I say you need to jump in sooner then later. Even just to pick up something inexpensive to get your feet wet, watching on a 100" - 120' screen in your home is something that no OLED experience will ever be able to give you unless of course they make an affordable 100" OLED. We know that ain't happening within the next 10 years. lol
post #14159 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 415
As another person who also recently jumped into front projection, I cannot tell you how awesome it is. smile.gif If you have any sort of opportunity to get into a front projection set-up, go for it.

post #14160 of 14930 Old 05-09-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It's always intrigued me but I'm basically a renter-- I live in a house but it doesn't belong to me. Thus my reason for opting for the 55" vt as I originally was moving in to a very nice but very small apartment. The 55" will fit just about anywhere.

We do have an 82" DLP rear projection in the great room so I get a little of the 'big screen' experience. I actually really like the DLP as the picture is very smooth-- very film like. The DLP can produce a bright, detailed image but the overall contrast due to it's lack of any real ability to reproduce black is fairly lackluster.

--Carl Sagan
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page