Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 475 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14221 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

greenish skin tones are a common occurrence on the smaller models of the VT60/65 series: 50" / 55"

6pt cal can be hard to get it out, a LUT cal is the way to go (if u can afford)...
Interesting! Mine is the 65" model - seemed to develop out of nowhere. Only noticed it a few weeks ago but now very distracting. Hoping it's not a faulty HDMI cable from my Oppo or something as doesn't seem quite as noticeable on broadcast. Definitely more noticeable on lower res sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post

Interesting! Mine is the 65" model - seemed to develop out of nowhere. Only noticed it a few weeks ago but now very distracting. Hoping it's not a faulty HDMI cable from my Oppo or something as doesn't seem quite as noticeable on broadcast. Definitely more noticeable on lower res sources.

I had a similar problem on my ST60 but it was the 55" version. At the time I considered it a calibration issue but have since moved that TV to another room and haven't seen that issue so I beileve it was signal chain related. My VT60 hasn't shown that issue at all. Your display may have drifted over time and that could be causing your issue. I would try a traditional calibration first.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14223 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

hmmm, that is strange.... how is Blu-ray content ?
sillysally likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14224 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

I found that using some ambient (white) lighting behind my VT60 definitely helped with how my black levels are perceived. I too was VERY critical of the black level, especially being a Kuro owner. If I turned off all the lights black is definitely not black but grey. Watching content looks quite good but borders are luminated and do distract me. I now have a lamp behind the set and blacks definitely look deep and inky and to me look better than my Kuro ever did.
I'm currently using SS settings but will do a calibration in the next month or so. For some reason my set is producing a huge green shift as all peoples faces are now greenish - even on THX cinema mode. Definitely need a cal!

Yes these VT's do shift. And yes the green skin tones and black's are things you may see. It is probably better to use a very dim light in a black room. Less eye fatigue particularly with the type of calibration IronMike and me do. Meaning the colors are so vivid, the backs are inky black, the whites are white ect. when called for.from the source. .

The good news is the VT's can be adjusted and not louse any of its great PQ. imo even get a little better, but that all depends on the skill level of the calibrator and how good there meters, software and patch sources are. And of course what hardware you have that the calibrator can work with.

example. I use a Jeti 1211 to profile my K10-A meter, I use the display I am working on for these meters to take the readings from. Then my Klein software makes the meter/display profile and downloads the exact profile to the memory input of my K10.

The only kind of calibration I will do anymore is a large 3D LUT type of calibration that IronMike suggested to you.

ss
Iron Mike likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #14225 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

SS,

I can only agree with you when you told me a while ago (before I had the VT60's here) that the PQ of the VT60 with a proper LUT cal even outperforms the VT50, which is already very, very good with a good calibration...

This is the best image on an end-consumer set I've seen so far... It's a combination of a lot of factors but the heart is the eeColor which is just a dream for HT... and u can upgrade any existing TV set with it... old or new...
sillysally likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor

AVS thread:
post #14226 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

SS,

I can only agree with you when you told me a while ago (before I had the VT60's here) that the PQ of the VT60 with a proper LUT cal even outperforms the VT50, which is already very, very good with a good calibration...

This is the best image on an end-consumer set I've seen so far... It's a combination of a lot of factors but the heart is the eeColor which is just a dream for HT... and u can upgrade any existing TV set with it... old or new...

Mike, thanks.

And the help I have gotten form you has been great.

I guess that is what AVS is all about, members helping members. smile.gif

ss
Iron Mike likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #14227 of 14980 Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Speak for yourself-- I just come here to nitpick and argue.

wink.gif
dswierenga likes this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #14228 of 14980 Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Freakin' Revolution. I really hate the PQ of that show and tonight's Posterization on dark scenes was really annoying once again.
post #14229 of 14980 Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

hmmm, that is strange.... how is Blu-ray content ?
For some reason not as noticeable! Most of the TV shows I dl and stream through my Oppo 103 are where I really see it. Even on 720p sources. Bluray is much harder to tell. For whatever reason I just started having handshake issues where when I load a mkv it begins with no sound so I have to stop it and play it again - works the second time! This is why I'm thinking that perhaps it could be a HDMI cable that's the issue. Haven't had time to test different configurations yet.

I've also tried changing color space options in the Oppo and turning Deep color off etc. No difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, will definitely know what to look for when looking for a calibrator over here in Australia.
post #14230 of 14980 Old 05-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For some reason not as noticeable! Most of the TV shows I dl and stream through my Oppo 103 are where I really see it. Even on 720p sources. Bluray is much harder to tell. For whatever reason I just started having handshake issues where when I load a mkv it begins with no sound so I have to stop it and play it again - works the second time! This is why I'm thinking that perhaps it could be a HDMI cable that's the issue. Haven't had time to test different configurations yet.

I've also tried changing color space options in the Oppo and turning Deep color off etc. No difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, will definitely know what to look for when looking for a calibrator over here in Australia.

just guessing here, but it might be the Oppo having an issue with streaming DL content... especially mkv files etc are open source container that could contain anything including newer (or non-standard) versions of codecs... if the Oppo does not fully support the codec (used in the media file) or it's a non-standard version of the codec, all kinds of funky stuff can happen when the Oppo decodes the content and then streams it...

I've had my media players have problems with some mkv files until updates came out for the media player that fixed it...

AVS thread:
post #14231 of 14980 Old 05-15-2014, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Freakin' Revolution. I really hate the PQ of that show and tonight's Posterization on dark scenes was really annoying once again.

Revolution looks outstanding on my set... are u watching OTA or streamed or downloaded or DVR ?

AVS thread:
post #14232 of 14980 Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It's the nano tech. biggrin.gif
Dataovercable likes this.
post #14233 of 14980 Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Revolution looks outstanding on my set... are u watching OTA or streamed or downloaded or DVR ?

OTA through my Tivo Roamio. It's one of the few shows I've had issues with. I guess I should be glad I won't have to worry much about it after next week's episode biggrin.gif
post #14234 of 14980 Old 05-17-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When I switch my TV on and look closely, I notice in the centre of the screen there are quite a few black pixels which fire up seconds later, like they are lazy or something. Is this a sign of a fault developing or normal behaviour?
post #14235 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Revolution's dark scenes usually looks like crap on my TV as well, from Direct TV.
post #14236 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi guys,

I've been doing a lot of PS4 gaming on my 55VT60. I'm having trouble with the picture settings. I'm using the default THX cinema mode for just about everything, as I've got all my devices running through a receiver.

My problem is that the blacks are too black, and I either can't see in dark scenes, or loose picture details I normally have on my LCD, or my whites are too white, so when playing Battlefield 4 for example, the 'snow blown' effect on one of the maps makes the scene invisible.

I love the THX cinema mode for blu ray content, but its not ideal for gaming. Has anyone got any idea what I should be adjusting to solve this problem? I'm not that knowledgeable with this stuff - just need to be pointed in the right direction.
post #14237 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakirk View Post

hi guys,

I've been doing a lot of PS4 gaming on my 55VT60. I'm having trouble with the picture settings. I'm using the default THX cinema mode for just about everything, as I've got all my devices running through a receiver.

My problem is that the blacks are too black, and I either can't see in dark scenes, or loose picture details I normally have on my LCD, or my whites are too white, so when playing Battlefield 4 for example, the 'snow blown' effect on one of the maps makes the scene invisible.

I love the THX cinema mode for blu ray content, but its not ideal for gaming. Has anyone got any idea what I should be adjusting to solve this problem? I'm not that knowledgeable with this stuff - just need to be pointed in the right direction.

It sounds like a color space problem. That will crush your blacks and whites if both units aren't set the same. Try going into the PS4's settings and look for something like standard or normal picture instead of extended or wide. Of course the tv has this adjustment in the settings, but if you adjust it there your other sources may be off.
post #14238 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

hi guys,

Why not just try Game mode?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #14239 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

hi guys,

Some games have brightness option in the video settings. I have to set this to as bright as possible in black ops II to see people hiding in the shadows.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #14240 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Why not just try Game mode?

I've got that set to auto so when a game is on it turns on, and when it's a blu ray it turns off, but in terms of these issues it doesn't seem to make a difference - it's still on THX Cinema mode but with Game turned on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

Some games have brightness option in the video settings. I have to set this to as bright as possible in black ops II to see people hiding in the shadows.

Yeah I've tried this on some games and it works, like infamous second son which looks amazing, battlefield and assassins creed iv are perhaps the worst for it though, for example bright reflections are blindingly white and loose detail, and blacks are exceedingly deep loosing visibility on dark scenes/levels.

I'm sure it's just a brightness or perhaps gamma setting, but I'm wary of messing with the THX defaults. I was thinking perhaps just switching to normal 'cinema' for games, and adjusting settings - which from I can tell won't affect THX mode if I adjust the gamma etc in a different setting.

I just need to figure out what to adjust.
post #14241 of 14980 Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I've got that set to auto so when a game is on it turns on, and when it's a blu ray it turns off, but in terms of these issues it doesn't seem to make a difference - it's still on THX Cinema mode but with Game turned on.
Yeah I've tried this on some games and it works, like infamous second son which looks amazing, battlefield and assassins creed iv are perhaps the worst for it though, for example bright reflections are blindingly white and loose detail, and blacks are exceedingly deep loosing visibility on dark scenes/levels.

I'm sure it's just a brightness or perhaps gamma setting, but I'm wary of messing with the THX defaults. I was thinking perhaps just switching to normal 'cinema' for games, and adjusting settings - which from I can tell won't affect THX mode if I adjust the gamma etc in a different setting.

I just need to figure out what to adjust.

I could be wrong but I don't think the TV changes to Game mode automatically.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #14242 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 AM

What are the primary colours?

I wonder if someone may help me in this respect.

I calibrated my 55VT60 for REC.709 and Pictures just look fine.

But I want to use it as a screen to do photo retouching as well.

So I guess I'm better off using a different setup to make use of a wider gamut and profiling the screen within the Computer's display options instead.

Goal is not a proper reproduction of video material but instead the widest possible gamut the TV can produce.

Is there a way to find the best contrast and primaries settings?

I guess I should start from the factory presets and need to set color space to 'native'.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

post #14243 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:

hi guys,

looks like a xvYCC issue.

Your PS4 maybe generates 0..255 values (and your game can only do that?)

Your Reciever ignores this an sends it's interpretation of 16..235 to your TV (seems to be quite common)

Does a direct connection help?

I'm not an expert. Just my idea

post #14244 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildux View Post

What are the primary colours?

I wonder if someone may help me in this respect.
I calibrated my 55VT60 for REC.709 and Pictures just look fine.

But I want to use it as a screen to do photo retouching as well.
So I guess I'm better off using a different setup to make use of a wider gamut and profiling the screen within the Computer's display options instead.

Goal is not a proper reproduction of video material but instead the widest possible gamut the TV can produce.
Is there a way to find the best contrast and primaries settings?
I guess I should start from the factory presets and need to set color space to 'native'.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

you say you "calibrated the VT60" yet you ask what the primaries are ?

how exactly did u calibrate the screen ?!? smile.gif

primaries are R|G|B... secondaries are Y|C|M...

don't use this screen for photo retouching...
eric3316 likes this.

AVS thread:
post #14245 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 02:03 AM

I used HCFR and an i1D2.

Some iterations:

contrast

gamma

primaries

greyscales (eyeballed)

gamma again

primaries again

secondaries

done

Why would I not use the screen for photo processing?

I just read your LS LUT calibration post. - Wow, I do not expect to get any near that professional level.

Maybe sometime, when the display aged enough, I will invest in a professional cal.

But for the moment I'm in search of a 80/20 solution.

post #14246 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used HCFR and an i1D2.
Some iterations:
contrast
gamma
primaries
greyscales (eyeballed)
gamma again
primaries again
secondaries
done

Why would I not use the screen for photo processing?

I just read your LS LUT calibration post. - Wow, I do not expect to get any near that professional level.
Maybe sometime, when the display aged enough, I will invest in a professional cal.
But for the moment I'm in search of a 80/20 solution.

the Plasma is unstable and then u certainly don't want to display a PC desktop on it because of IR... maybe extended desktop, not sure... why would u wanna use the VT60 for photo retouching ? I'd use ur desktop LCD (connected via DVI or DisplayPort) and get that as close as possible to sRGB / Adobe RGB etc... if u decide to use the VT60 via extended desktop then make sure all ICC profiles are disabled and none are still loaded in the OS, otherwise ur "calibrated" VT60 will not show accurate colors coming from the graphics card...

regarding your cal: the i1D2 is an outdated, not so great in the first place colorimeter... it will have drifted substantially by now, ergo there's a great chance it is useless for color accurate reads... even with a spectro offset (--> reference meter profile) this meter is not so great (repeatability, speed etc)...

an i1D3 with a used i1Pro rev D (off eBay) is a great budget starter kit...

- M

AVS thread:
post #14247 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Hi Mike. FYI I use my VT60 as a computer monitor everyday, in fact I'm using it right now. Just a few cautions to avoid IR and I have no problems.
1. Use a wallpaper changer.
2. Get rid of desktop icons.
3. Autohide taskbar.
4. Maximize all screens to get rid of the top bar.
5. Use the shutdown function to shut off the computer's video output after a few minutes of non use.

As for photos, I do my photo retouching also- that's where I get the photos for the wallpaper changer. Since pretty much the only place I view photos is on the VT60,
I would want to retouch them to look their best on it, right?

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #14248 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

When I switch my TV on and look closely, I notice in the centre of the screen there are quite a few black pixels which fire up seconds later, like they are lazy or something. Is this a sign of a fault developing or normal behaviour?

Does this happen on all sources? Try a test pattern on a Blu-ray player if you can.

post #14249 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:

looks like a xvYCC issue.
Your PS4 maybe generates 0..255 values (and your game can only do that?)
Your Reciever ignores this an sends it's interpretation of 16..235 to your TV (seems to be quite common)
Does a direct connection help?
I'm not an expert. Just my idea

I'll try direct and optical audio but I'll loose DTS audio frown.gif
post #14250 of 14980 Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've tried everything from re running dnice slides to the pixel wipe for weeks, and have lived on my mac book pro instead of the vt 60 to let the pixel wipe run continuously. This set is 5 months old, and I did the slides for the 1st 100 hours, and no static logos for the next 100. I used the airplay from my mac to apple tv, and unfortunately didn't make the airplay take up the entire screen on the tv. There is a burn in from the air play that Simply won't go away. Unless someone knows something I don't, Im going to have to use my replacement value warranty from best buy, and get rid of this, and find a set that isn't susceptible to burn in. I never had this problem with a previous lg plasma who's black level's were gray at best. I guess it's time for a 4k led, The burn in is only noticeable when the screen is one uniform color, but this is not ok, and as far as I'm concerned the set is as good as dead.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page