Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 485 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 233Likes

Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
BTW, anyone have any lumps on the speaker grills of the VT60? I can see them if I look closely, especially in the sunlight and feel them if I run my finger down the grills. I have 2 on the left grill near the middle. I can't capture it clearly on camera.
Here is an image of what I am talking about. I'd appreciate it if other VT60 owners can check their set and see if they have the same bumps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just got back from vacation and was greeted by the seven blinks.

Ah, what fun.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Here is an image of what I am talking about. I'd appreciate it if other VT60 owners can check their set and see if they have the same bumps.

I don't have anything like your picture indicates, although there is some very minor "non-smoothness" near the middle of each grill on both sides. You certainly can't see it though, even when shining a light on it, and I'd never, ever have noticed if I hadn't slid my finger up and down the grills.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:

So... I would just stop running your finger down the speaker grille and start enjoying your VT60.
sawfish likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Nothing like that on mine, can you see it while viewing content?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Nothing like that on mine, can you see it while viewing content?
Nope, I was just curious, that's all

The pic was taken with strong sunlight hitting the TV.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tcp55vt60 camera adjustment?

The camera on my TCP55VT60 when using Skype points to high. If we want to be in the picture we would have to stand on a box. The set sits on a normal size stand and from floor to camera is 57". I have not tried unscrewing it and trying to monkey with it. Enclosed picture shows the camera on the top of the set. Any suggestions? Thank you.
*click on the picture for a larger view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	128233  
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Just tilt the camera down. you can grab it and rotate it, just the small center part rotates, a least I'm pretty sure it does. I'm at work so not in front of the tv.

Looks like the same stand I have.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Just tilt the camera down. you can grab it and rotate it, just the small center part rotates, a least I'm pretty sure it does. I'm at work so not in front of the tv.

Looks like the same stand I have.
Yes, the camera does rotate up and down.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrick7 View Post
Just got back from vacation and was greeted by the seven blinks.

Ah, what fun.
What are the seven blinks?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Seven blinks indicate either a bad upper scan board (SU) or a bad lower scan board (SD). The only solution is replacement of the board.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vt60 from rear.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	128689  
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Wow, talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Thank you to all who replied to my question about adjusting the camera. You guys were totally correct and I will seek help for my eye site.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hoping for some help / advice.
Just picked up a p55vt60a. They had no more new models in stock only one display model left.
I am replacing an older V series screen (P50V10a).

The overall brightness / luminescence on the VT60 seems very low, especially in comparison to my older V10 panel.
For television ALL the default setting are way too dark even at night in a dark room. The only setting usable for TV is THX Bright Room setting (even in a dark room).

My concern is that the panel has an issue being generally darker than it should be. Is this possible?
Is it normal that all modes (except THX Bright Room) are too dark out of the box day or night??
Should my 5 year old V10 be brighter than a new V60??

Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADEO View Post
Wow, talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Thank you to all who replied to my question about adjusting the camera. You guys were totally correct and I will seek help for my eye site.
Unfortunately the camera does not swivel left to right or even the stand so you still need to be center at all times which is pretty annoying, especially when you use skype with a 3 year old and he never wants to stay in the middle. I usually end up just using my phone or tablet, much easier.

Wish Panasonic would have included some other features to use with the camera.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonze73 View Post
Hoping for some help / advice.
Just picked up a p55vt60a. They had no more new models in stock only one display model left.
I am replacing an older V series screen (P50V10a).

The overall brightness / luminescence on the VT60 seems very low, especially in comparison to my older V10 panel.
For television ALL the default setting are way too dark even at night in a dark room. The only setting usable for TV is THX Bright Room setting (even in a dark room).

My concern is that the panel has an issue being generally darker than it should be. Is this possible?
Is it normal that all modes (except THX Bright Room) are too dark out of the box day or night??
Should my 5 year old V10 be brighter than a new V60??Thanks
I have a G10(similar to V10) and a VT60 and ran the VT at mid panel in pro modes( wanted pixel orbiter for sure) at 96 contrast when new just because of the same issue, seemed dim. After a week or two I was able to put down the contrast to the high 60's with no issue. Maybe i got used to it or the panel changed, hard to say. The G still seems a bit brighter in the mid/high APl but the black levels of the V still trump it for sure. I've found I can get it pretty bright with settings. I was wincing at the tv yesterday and had to tone it down because it was too bright, lol! At near to 2k hours now.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Unfortunately the camera does not swivel left to right or even the stand so you still need to be center at all times which is pretty annoying, especially when you use skype with a 3 year old and he never wants to stay in the middle. I usually end up just using my phone or tablet, much easier.

Wish Panasonic would have included some other features to use with the camera.
Your correct about the 3 year old. In my case it's the lazy Grandfather who wants to be seated while talking to the 3 year old.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM

Liked: 15
I am stumped about a hum when watching a light-colored image on my 65VT60. I've read about humming plasmas, ground loops, bad transformers, and so forth, but this hum is coming from my front speakers. I am unsure where to start diagnosis, because the hum does not come from the transformer area, but rather from the tweeters in my front external tower speakers. No recent changes in settings or hardware. The system is about a year old, this issue started about a month ago. I wonder if the receiver or speakers are getting some current induced from the plasma, and plan to eliminate every possible source one at a time, but wondered if you had any ideas that might aid the diagnosis.

EQUIPMENT LIST
Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130 (driving front wides)
Panasonic VIERA 65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair (supporting the fronts)
Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52 fronts, SP-C22 center, SP-BS22 front wides and rear surrounds
Cambridge SoundWorks DiPole rear center
Sony Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-DVD, MiniMac
Audio and video calibrated by ChadB
Samsung SMT-H3272 whole-house cable box/DVR from Time Warner
Arranged in a normal 8.2 layout, tower speakers flanking the display, but moving them 3 feet away does not help

I took out the UPS's powering the Denon and Panasonic, thinking the approximated sine wave might be the issue. I have a Monoprice power conditioner powering peripherals coming out next. Then I plan to remove all inputs save the cable box. I am getting much pixelation and such with it, as if it were also affected by some radiating field, ground loop, current anomaly, or signal distortion, and will swap the same model from another room to see if that issue follows it.

It seems like the plasma is inducing some field in the receiver or something, since the tower speaker's distance from the plasma does not seem to affect the issue. I'm wondering if I have some power issue or radiation gone wild, but hardly know where to start other than taking the whole system apart and adding one component back at a time (ugh). If you have any rifle shots rather than that shotgun blast approach I would love to hear it. I'd make a service call to Panasonic if the hum was coming from the TV itself, but it's coming from the external front speakers. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130912_131402_Kensington Rd.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	131562  

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Check your cables. Hum can be created by cheap cables or when two cables are crossing each other. Pay particular attention to the power cables.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsanford View Post
I am stumped about a hum when watching a light-colored image on my 65VT60. I've read about humming plasmas, ground loops, bad transformers, and so forth, but this hum is coming from my front speakers.
Given that plasmas hum on light colored images, and it can be tricky to isolate the source of a noise, I would verify the hum disappears when I disconnect the speaker wires, or at least verify it tracks the receiver volume level.

Quote:
I took out the UPS's powering the Denon and Panasonic, thinking the approximated sine wave might be the issue.
What kind of UPS? The common ones pass through wall power when they're not operating from battery, and it's only when operating from battery that they output stepped-sine wave.

Quote:
Then I plan to remove all inputs save the cable box. I am getting much pixelation and such with it, as if it were also affected by some radiating field, ground loop, current anomaly, or signal distortion, and will swap the same model from another room to see if that issue follows it. It seems like the plasma is inducing some field in the receiver or something, since the tower speaker's distance from the plasma does not seem to affect the issue. I'm wondering if I have some power issue or radiation gone wild, but hardly know where to start other than taking the whole system apart and adding one component back at a time (ugh). If you have any rifle shots rather than that shotgun blast approach I would love to hear it. I'd make a service call to Panasonic if the hum was coming from the TV itself, but it's coming from the external front speakers. Thanks in advance.
Simplifying the system and adding things back is all I know to do, but I would definitely first verify it is indeed coming from the speakers. In fact, I'd pray that I was fooling myself, and it's the TV doing the ordinary plasma buzz. That said, if you're getting pixelation from the cable box, that would be the thing to start with.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Given that plasmas hum on light colored images, and it can be tricky to isolate the source of a noise, I would verify the hum disappears when I disconnect the speaker wires, or at least verify it tracks the receiver volume level.

What kind of UPS? The common ones pass through wall power when they're not operating from battery, and it's only when operating from battery that they output stepped-sine wave.

Simplifying the system and adding things back is all I know to do, but I would definitely first verify it is indeed coming from the speakers. In fact, I'd pray that I was fooling myself, and it's the TV doing the ordinary plasma buzz. That said, if you're getting pixelation from the cable box, that would be the thing to start with.
Thanks for the replies.

I will check the cable dressing in the morning: I thought I had everything pretty well run, but we have cats, and who knows what may go on back there.

I'm trying to study up on ground loops, isolation transformers, and such (this is a 1930's house, wired who knows how, with a 1970's addition, basically two wiring systems), and it seems to me that perhaps I should be running the whole system from one receptacle (I had them spread around since 2000W+ seems like a lot for one power outlet).

I am considering, after removing all antennae, IR remote sensors, and peripherals except for the (swapped) cable box and dressing the cables rigorously, going from Mains > Monoprice Power Conditioner > three CyberPower CST1300AL UPS's, with the Denon and Panasonic each on their own UPS. If that neither explodes the house nor fixes the issue, I will look into Isolation Transformers. Might work, might not, but I am not aware of an electrician in the area who knows much about this sort of thing.

I could have a dedicated circuit installed with a truly proper ground, but then I read that after the circuit enters the house it may be best to break that ground (hence the isolation transformer), so I am having to learn stuff about things I would prefer to "just work". Oh well. I'd rather be watching video, however.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
It seems like the plasma is inducing some field in the receiver or something, since the tower speaker's distance from the plasma does not seem to affect the issue. I'm wondering if I have some power issue or radiation gone wild, but hardly know where to start other than taking the whole system apart and adding one component back at a time (ugh). If you have any rifle shots rather than that shotgun blast approach I would love to hear it. I'd make a service call to Panasonic if the hum was coming from the TV itself, but it's coming from the external front speakers. Thanks in advance.
I have a similarly strange problem with mine, bright screens cause my voltage regulator to hum. It sounds more like an electric hum than a fan (i'm not even sure there is a fan inside), but it is very reproducible. It doesn't seem to be related to load specifically. If I turn on a bunch of other components and spike the amp draw, it is still silent, but regardless of the amps, when the TV is bright, it hums.

I ended up buying a second voltage regulator to plug the tv directly into, but they're both plugged into the same outlet, and the old voltage regulator still hums when the TV has a bright screen displayed, even though the TV isn't plugged in to it.

About a week after getting the TV, the subwoofer would play a loud noise from time to time, and always when turning the TV off, and then the subwoofer amp died about a week after that. It was 10 years old, so it could have just been it's time to go, but I wondered the same thing, if the TV is backfeeding or otherwise messing with the power.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This might be far-fetched, but it happened to me. I had a hum through my audio receiver that was not always there. I finally isolated it to a laptop power adapter that was plugged into the same circuit as the receiver. The adapter was an aftermarket replacement and seemed to emit conductive interference from its power connection. When I replaced it with a real HP one, the hum disappeared.

As I said this might be far-fetched, but did happen.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I had D-Nice recalibrate my 60VT60 this past Saturday, and apparently all of the VT60s drift considerably regardless of how many hours are on them. I had mine first calibrated at 500 hours, and the recal was done at 2500 hours, and he said it had drifted so much, it was basically a full calibration instead of a touch up.

Just thought I'd offer that bit of information for people who plan on getting their VT60 calibrated and for those who already have.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
About HT hum

When I got my new OPPO 95 a few years ago it caused my HT system to hum when watching tv. I had to unplug the OPPO to stop the noise. When I switched from Comcast to Verizon Fios the hum went away. It was the Comcast HD recorder that generated the hum, not the OPPO.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM

Liked: 19
I Must be the last fortunate guy to pick up by mistake the last 55vt60. Since there are no more in town.

Anyway,after 170 hours or different movies and sports watching(did not do the slides break in cause I got them when I had 150 hours, so I applied them for 10 hours.

I applied DNICE pro settings and watching wold cup soccer and yes daytime pro1 is a little better due to shade and sunny side than pro2. But overall pro2 looked a little more realistic(facial and so on) a little brightness would had been ok.

So I went to Pro settings, panel brightnes and change pro1 to MID and Pro2 to high

at the end the Pro2 gave me a little brightness but skin colors are not the same.

Is there a way of improving brightness without distorting anything.

I couldn't find Silly sally pro settings or some other pro settings, can someone give me the link. tia

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PS3 SLIMIR 2 BT RE-BL DENON X2200W [B] FIBETV
MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakersKLIPSCH SUBWOOFER
KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1HARMONY ONE

Last edited by frankmar; 06-23-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
I had D-Nice recalibrate my 60VT60 this past Saturday, and apparently all of the VT60s drift considerably regardless of how many hours are on them. I had mine first calibrated at 500 hours, and the recal was done at 2500 hours, and he said it had drifted so much, it was basically a full calibration instead of a touch up.

Just thought I'd offer that bit of information for people who plan on getting their VT60 calibrated and for those who already have.

Not that uncommon for sets to drift especially after 2000 hours.

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 06-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
I had D-Nice recalibrate my 60VT60 this past Saturday ...
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Of course.

Maybe I should have given a little more context: He specifically mentioned that they drifted considerably more then the previous VT50 series, to the point that it wasn't really a recalibration, but pretty much a full calibration from scratch. This goes for VT60s with 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 hours etc. They don't hold nearly as well as the VT50s. Take that as you will.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I think the point that djsketchie made is D-Nice said the VT60 drifted so much that the re-cal was more like a full calibration.

It would be interesting to find out whether D-Nice really meant all VT60s or just the one that he was working on. Both of my VT60 units required only minor adjustments with 2000 hours after the initial calibrations. My 65VT60 drifted a bit more than my 60VT60.

Larry

Last edited by LarryInRI; 06-23-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: my question was answered as I was typing my post
Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1126
Quote:
Of course.

Maybe I should have given a little more context: He specifically mentioned that they drifted considerably more then the previous VT50 series, to the point that it wasn't really a recalibration, but pretty much a full calibration from scratch. This goes for VT60s with 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 hours etc. They don't hold nearly as well as the VT50s. Take that as you will.
Thanks for the info I'll keep an eye ion my set will probably have a touch up done next soring. Will report back on what Chad finds . My set has 4000 hours so should be a good test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread