Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 489 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14641 of 14862 Old 07-04-2014, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
No. It's normal, and your paranoia is normal too.

seriously? Its my first plasma, I cant tell. Do others also have such coloured rows of pixel and the edges of some of their images?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14642 of 14862 Old 07-04-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by persona View Post
seriously? Its my first plasma, I cant tell. Do others also have such coloured rows of pixel and the edges of some of their images?
Not only others but all others. It's the way the panels are made -- BRGBRGBRGB...RGBRGBRG...

Larry
htwaits likes this.
post #14643 of 14862 Old 07-04-2014, 03:07 PM

ok, but why do these rows only occur in case of white/grey and partly blue backgrounds? and why not with red and green?
post #14644 of 14862 Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by persona View Post
ok, but why do these rows only occur in case of white/grey and partly blue backgrounds? and why not with red and green?
The R,G,B sub pixels is each pixel are controlled to produce all the possible colors a given pixel may be required to present to complete the desired image. Accept that your plasma is normal and get on with enjoying it from your normal seated location.
post #14645 of 14862 Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM

will do, thanks!
htwaits likes this.
post #14646 of 14862 Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello All

I have a weird issue with my 55VT60 and hope you can be of some help. Its hard to explain. When I go in to the TV Menu and try switching on the Screen Wipe the tv will no respond and instead shows like its going into that option and immediately exits to the previous menu screen. It does the same thing when I'm trying to change the picture mode from Standard to any of the THX or Professional options. The TV makes an attempt to go into said setting and immediately goes back out to the previous menu screen. I tried resetting the TV but that only erased all my settings and did not help with the issue at hand. Any ideas? Help? Thanks in advance.
post #14647 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:32 AM

Liked: 10
After reading the latest news that plasma is soon to be no more, I've decided to try to look for either Samsung or if I'm lucky VT60 to replace my trusty but old LG 60PK950.

Samsung F8500 was nowhere to be found around here (Eastern Europe), but I managed to order new 65" VT60, which made me really happy (was not expecting these to be anywhere). Now, I'm waiting for the new TV to arrive next Friday, and I wanted to ask a few questions to this thread veterans (I've tried, but it's really impossible to check all 14k messages here to find the answers myself).

1. I'm a bit worried that "new in the box" might a "refurbished" or something. What can I check when the TV arrives to make sure it's really new?

2. Are there any general issues that some VT60 owners found early that caused them to replace their TV?

3. Were there any modifications during the lifetime of the model that I need to be aware of?

4. What are the general recommendations for breaking in VT60?

5. With my current plasma I was always setting letterboxed movies to have grey bars instead of black to even the burnout. Do I still need to do that with VT60?

6. I'm planning to use THX settings for everything (Movies, TV, Xbox), since professional calibration is not an option here. Is this a good enough option? If I'm trying to calibrate myself using some Blu Ray disks, will I achieve better results?

Thank you!
post #14648 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lucky you - I won't ask what you paid!

You'll get a lot of good advice in asnwer to your questions from people more knowledgeable than me but I would make one point in relation to your question 6. You won't get the full enjoyment from the TV using THX in my opinion.
If you run the TV in using dnice's slides and then use his "professional" settings for the VT 60 you'll get some really great reproduction.

There are links to dnice's setting throughout this thread, sorry I don't have it to hand.

Edit, here's the link
2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread
Silencers likes this.

55VT60, Yamaha RX-S600, Mede8er X10003D, Ryan Play-On HD2
ATV1 running XBMC, Wurlitzer OMT 1015 Vinyl, Harmony Ultimate,
Miller & Kreisel 5.1 system speakers

Last edited by Wurlitzer-1015; 07-06-2014 at 03:17 AM.
post #14649 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post
After reading the latest news that plasma is soon to be no more, I've decided to try to look for either Samsung or if I'm lucky VT60 to replace my trusty but old LG 60PK950.

Samsung F8500 was nowhere to be found around here (Eastern Europe), but I managed to order new 65" VT60, which made me really happy (was not expecting these to be anywhere). Now, I'm waiting for the new TV to arrive next Friday, and I wanted to ask a few questions to this thread veterans (I've tried, but it's really impossible to check all 14k messages here to find the answers myself).

1. I'm a bit worried that "new in the box" might a "refurbished" or something. What can I check when the TV arrives to make sure it's really new?

2. Are there any general issues that some VT60 owners found early that caused them to replace their TV?

3. Were there any modifications during the lifetime of the model that I need to be aware of?

5. With my current plasma I was always setting letterboxed movies to have grey bars instead of black to even the burnout. Do I still need to do that with VT60?

6. I'm planning to use THX settings for everything (Movies, TV, Xbox), since professional calibration is not an option here. Is this a good enough option? If I'm trying to calibrate myself using some Blu Ray disks, will I achieve better results?

Thank you!

If you can't get your set professionally calibrated or do it yourself with a meter and software. you are better off leaving it in THX mode, because of panel variance any settings you put in have less than a 5% chance of being accurate for your set. The shared settings thing is a myth that continues to perpetuate itself here unfortunately.
Silencers likes this.

Last edited by chunon; 07-06-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #14650 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post

1. I'm a bit worried that "new in the box" might a "refurbished" or
something. What can I check when the TV arrives to make sure it's really new?

Thank you!
1) You can check the hours via the Menu, Help, Version, Status Line 4 (ie: C1350-00000 means 1350 hours are on the TV).
2) Fan noise is an issue for some of these TV. Depending on the date your TV was manufactured, a foam fix may be available. Some of these sets appear to be more prone to IR.
3) You can break-in with normal content. Just be careful of having bars and static images on the TV for the first 100 hours. DNice slides are designed to be used if you plan to have the TV calibrated and don't want to wait until you hit 500 hours. But people still use the slides anyway.
4) see #3
5) Not needed if you watch varied content.
6) THX Bright is not bad out of the box. But, the Pixel Orbitor doesn't work on the THX settings. I found I liked sillysallies setting better. But they are close to the THX settings. If you have a meter and know what your doing, you may be able to get better results. But will depends on your level of skill level and the quality of your meter.

Enjoy your TV!
Silencers likes this.

Last edited by eaayoung; 07-06-2014 at 06:42 AM.
post #14651 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
If you can't get your set professionally calibrated or do it yourself with a meter and software. you are better off leaving it in THX mode, because of panel variance any settings you put in have less than a 5% chance of being accurate for your set. The shared settings thing is a myth that continues to perpetuate itself here unfortunately.
My set looks better with sillysallys settings than it did with out-of-the box THX Cinema. To each their own...
post #14652 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm01 View Post
My set looks better with sillysallys settings than it did with out-of-the box THX Cinema. To each their own...
Glad they look good on your set but you have no way of knowing if your set is accurate. You are however missing out on getting the very best out of your set.
post #14653 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you, Wurlitzer-1015, chunon, eaayoung. Is there a quick link to these sillysallys settings? I'm kinda with chunon on this topic, personal custom settings do sound like they shouldn't suit to everyone. But I guess there's no harm trying them out, right?

I was more interested in those Blu Ray DVDs, like Disney's WOW, that allow you to go through simple wizard and adjust basic settings. Did anyone try those as opposed to standard THX settings? Are results any better?
post #14654 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Glad they look good on your set but you have no way of knowing if your set is accurate. You are however missing out on getting the very best out of your set.
Can't agree with this more. Unfortunately, this setting sharing argument will never end as there will always be a difference of opinion between those looking for a measured, accurate picture and those who take the 'if it looks good to me' approach. I wouldn't tell anyone how to watch their set but to make the argument that by simply inputting DNice's or sillysally's or cnet's settings will guarantee to make your set any more accurate is a fallacy. I still maintain that a 'tune-up' disc is a good place to start for anyone looking to make simple improvements in the picture.
post #14655 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Can't agree with this more. Unfortunately, this setting sharing argument will never end as there will always be a difference of opinion between those looking for a measured, accurate picture and those who take the 'if it looks good to me' approach. I wouldn't tell anyone how to watch their set but to make the argument that by simply inputting DNice's or sillysally's or cnet's settings will guarantee to make your set any more accurate is a fallacy. I still maintain that a 'tune-up' disc is a good place to start for anyone looking to make simple improvements in the picture.
I agree and definitely not telling anyone how to watch their set. Just pointing out the difference between shared setting and a calibration.
post #14656 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree and definitely not telling anyone how to watch their set. Just pointing out the difference between shared setting and a calibration.
Oh-- I didn't say you were at all! Just wanted to add that for anyone who might think I was preaching that thou shalt only watch thy tv in the following calibrated state:

Here is a great article on this topic:
http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/sharing-calibration-settings-results-compared/
post #14657 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
Quote:
Agreed 100%, canned settings—especially when they pertain to white balance and gamma—are specific to an individual display. Some settings are more consistent than others—sharing brightness/contrast/sharpness/backlight settings is harmless enough, but then again those are settings best adjusted with the help of a tuning kit like AVS HD709, Disney WOW, and others. Accurate color and gamma require measurement and no two TVs are alike. If it was as easy as calibrating one TV and using those numbers on the entire line, that's exactly what TV makers would do.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #14658 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm01 View Post
Quote:
@chunon:

The issue for those who can't get a professional calibration or do it them selves is not one of perfect accuracy to industry standards for an individual set.

There is no reason to discourage new owners from trying posted settings if they do not have access to quality calibration. If they save the original settings, it seems reasonable to me that trying posted settings may allow those folks to find something that they prefer to the out-of-the-box settings.

I know that you are more reasonable than your post indicates.
post #14659 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not being unreasonable but research suggests at least for the Vt60 you are better off sticking with the thx modes if you can't do a DIY or a pro calibration.

Of course there is no harm in trying someone else's settings but it isn't calibration . You might end up better off or you might not. It is more likely the later
post #14660 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think chunon was being unreasonable and I don't think he was discouraging anyone. Not to put words in his mouth but to paraphrase: if you bought a VT60 congratulations! Your tv came with a relatively accurate picture mode right out of the box that will keep you from the guesswork of ceaselessly imputing and auditioning others picture settings which may or (more likely) may not improve your picture!

Basically he's encouraging owners to stop combing through forums for picture settings and to start enjoying their sets! Lol! I'd call that sound consumer advise!
post #14661 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think chunon was being unreasonable and I don't think he was discouraging anyone. Not to put words in his mouth but to paraphrase: if you bought a VT60 congratulations! Your tv came with a relatively accurate picture mode right out of the box that will keep you from the guesswork of ceaselessly imputing and auditioning others picture settings which may or (more likely) may not improve your picture!

Basically he's encouraging owners to stop combing through forums for picture settings and to start enjoying their sets! Lol! I'd call that sound consumer advise!
Pretty much spot on just trying to pass on my experience. Having seen what this set is capable of when dialed in I couldn't settle for less, of course that is only my perspective .
post #14662 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I'm not being unreasonable but research suggests at least for the Vt60 you are better off sticking with the thx modes if you can't do a DIY or a pro calibration.
I'd like to read that research. Do you have links? And I'm not disagreeing that a lot of people would be better off sticking with the THX modes on the VT60 and ZT60 models.
post #14663 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd like to read that research. Do you have links? And I'm not disagreeing that a lot of people would be better off sticking with the THX modes on the VT60 and ZT60 models.
Sage posted a good link a few posts up. Granted it's a small sample size. But it also lines up with what is have heard ffrom at least two other calibrators.
post #14664 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Of course there is no harm in trying someone else's settings but it isn't calibration . You might end up better off or you might not. It is more likely the later
I don't think anyone really thinks by using someone's settings they have a calibrated TV. They're just trying out different settings to find find what looks best to their eyes. For me, I liked sillysallies settings on my ZT better that the THX Bright settings. But I like my settings calibrated by Chad more than other settings I tried. Having my set calibrated by Chad was worth it. And I'm glad I was finally in a financial situation where a I could afford to have it done.
post #14665 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Sage posted a good link a few posts up. Granted it's a small sample size. But it also lines up with what is have heard ffrom at least two other calibrators.
No science then. We are talking about subjective impressions if a calibration hasn't been done by a highly qualified calibrator on the set in question.
post #14666 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No science then. We are talking about subjective impressions if a calibration hasn't been done by a highly qualified calibrator on the set in question.
Ray Coranado isn't highly qualified ? Please ! Did you even read the article ? Not as familiar with the authors work but Rays reputation speaks for itself ! Two random vt60s were tested what else do you want ?

Last edited by chunon; 07-06-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #14667 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

dE under 3 vs....

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
post #14668 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I linked a pretty good article above that does a good job in at least demonstrating the variance two panels can exhibit.

...and, no offense, but if you agree that it's better to stick with the THX modes why are we even having this discussion? lol!

Edit: what Fahrenheit linked to by Larry.

Last edited by sage11x; 07-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.
post #14669 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
I linked a pretty good article above that does a good job in at least demonstrating the variance two panels can exhibit.

...and, no offense, but if you agree that it's better to stick with the THX modes why are we even having this discussion? lol!

Edit: what Fahrenheit linked to by Larry.
I'm trying to point out that over stating advise can sometimes be misleading. I've been around long enough to have had to qualify my advise many times.

The vast majority of VT60 and ZT60 and Kuro owners have never even heard of calibration, nor do they care that they haven't heard of calibration. Among the very few that find their way to AVS, there are vast differences in attitudes toward calibration.

Because I'm not comfortable telling people what they should think about calibration, I've always tried to be careful to qualify what I've said about it. That is also why I started to collect links to posts where owners give their impressions of the professional calibration work that they have had done. Unfortunately, a lot of those links are now useless after the latest AVS platform conversion.
post #14670 of 14862 Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Ray Coranado isn't highly qualified ? Please ! Did you even read the article ? Not as familiar with the authors work but Rays reputation speaks for itself ! Two random vt60s were tested what else do you want ?
I though we were talking about cases where a professional grade calibration was not possible.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page