Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

It doesn't look like they've tested the Samsung 8500's yet wink.gif

Yes but the experts at the shootout gave their vote on the Samsung 8500 vs the VT60 / ZT60. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

Great link, I haven't seen this one yet.

They do a lot of comparisons between the VT60 and ST60 so excellent read especially for those trying to decide if the VT60 is worth the extra $.

Also this setting might help those still undecided on the brightness issue of the VT60.

cut and paste from review:

Another new setting option we discovered in the menu was “panel luminance setting” that allows us to control the overall luminance/brightness level of the panel. This is the first time we have seen such a setting on Panasonic’s TV and it is actually quite useful. It has a low, mid and high option, with low being the default option. If changed to high the panel gets considerably brighter, which is nice if you want to use the TV in for example a brightly lit living room.

Conclusion:

Panasonic VT60 is not perfect and it still suffers from some dithering noise and we would also love to see overall panel brightness go even higher but those are minor concerns. We also have to say that the difference between VT60 and Panasonic ST60 is less pronounced than in the past but that probably says more about ST60 than it says about VT60. And since VT60 takes picture quality to a new level we hereby award it with our Reference Award. Not since the Pioneer Kuro have we given out our Reference Award to a TV. VT60 is that good - it has deserved our praise.

The "HIGH" penal luminance setting make the picture look pretty bad. It makes the image look more like Vivid mode. It would be interesting to see if a pro calibration could be done on the HIGH setting..maybe the issues it causes could be reduced.
post #1443 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post

The "HIGH" penal luminance setting make the picture look pretty bad. It makes the image look more like Vivid mode. It would be interesting to see if a pro calibration could be done on the HIGH setting..maybe the issues it causes could be reduced.

Chad tried but was unsucessful at least to the point where he evaulated it as calibrated picture, he considers low and high panel brigtness to be defective

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1444 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

Yes but the experts at the shootout gave their vote on the Samsung 8500 vs the VT60 / ZT60. smile.gif

And the experts chose....VT/ZT. Will be interesting to read reviews of the VT/ZT versus F8500 in the coming weeks.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #1445 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

No, but I haven't checked. Look for a VT60 settings thread in the display forum. When it's started, you'll know it's the right one because D-Nice will start it. wink.gif
He will probably post them in the 2013 Panasonic settings thread rather start a new VT thread. He has several spaces at the beginning of that thread reserved. For just that purpose I would imagine. wink.gif
He will probably post the ZT settings there too when he gets around to it.
I think you're right. I don't keep track of settings enough. I corrected my reply.
post #1446 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Liked: 17
Just got my Second 65"VT60 delivered ... Hopefully without the turbine fans ... About to run slides (again) ... On a side note I just realized both of my VT60's and my ST60 were all delivered on Wednesday , strange .. So Monday morning it goes up again : )
post #1447 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

And the experts chose....VT/ZT. Will be interesting to read reviews of the VT/ZT versus F8500 in the coming weeks.

The experts clearly picked the VT60, even higher than the ZT60 in one category.

I agree it will be interesting to see how the comparison pans out in the coming weeks but I can guess that it will be the camp liking the Samsung 8500 for the brighter picture and whiter whites saying the blacks are close enough to the VT60 while the camp for the Panasonic VT60 will swear by the awesome inky blacks and overall awesome picture with the picture being bright enough for most.

Funny how so many will scrutinize slight readings of black level with being able to see the difference even if small a lot of time while others will swear the blacks on one are close enough not to matter. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. I just know the black level of the VT60 is what really helps provide that depth to the picture that just draws you into the picture. Finally Panasonic I feel hit this one out of the park.
post #1448 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

Just got my Second 65"VT60 delivered ... Hopefully without the turbine fans ... About to run slides (again) ... On a side note I just realized both of my VT60's and my ST60 were all delivered on Wednesday , strange .. So Monday morning it goes up again : )

I notice a bit of fan noise on mine too , to be honest though I can only here it when the volumne is really low and even then not too distracting. Wonder if some sort of fan noise is normal on these.
post #1449 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

I notice a bit of fan noise on mine too , to be honest though I can only here it when the volumne is really low and even then not too distracting. Wonder if some sort of fan noise is normal on these.
Mine was bad like across the room bad , some people have bad fan noise , some don't hear it at all , maybe my ears are like bat ears lol , my wife thinks I'm nuts for complaining about the fans
post #1450 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Mine was bad like across the room bad , some people have bad fan noise , some don't hear it at all , maybe my ears are like bat ears lol , my wife thinks I'm nuts for complaining about the fans

It will be interesting to see if your new one has it at all and if it does is it to a much more tolerable degree.
post #1451 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10
ive tried calibrating myself, with Panel brightness, on low, mid, and high, the VT50 had this as well. Low is perfectly fine, no defects to the picture, but its just not that bright, High is horrible, it blows out the contrast, idk but it looks like something is messed up with the color decoding, it looks dirty, plus it raises the black level at the expense of this nonsense, Mid is as everyone said, the best, it brightens up the panel without any defects.
post #1452 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

ive tried calibrating myself, with Panel brightness, on low, mid, and high, the VT50 had this as well. Low is perfectly fine, no defects to the picture, but its just not that bright, High is horrible, it blows out the contrast, idk but it looks like something is messed up with the color decoding, it looks dirty, plus it raises the black level at the expense of this nonsense, Mid is as everyone said, the best, it brightens up the panel without any defects.

Good to know mid level is best, thanks.

So any thoughts on the "brillance" setting? It has two words in the description, can't remember the other but know billiance is in it. Any how It can adjusted to off, low, mid or high. Says it adds contrast. I played with it and noticed it really does seem to help. I was watching Total Recall (new one) in HD that has a lot of very dark scenes and noticed the building in the background had more detail around the windows etc. when the brillance is turned from off to on. It seems to work pretty well in the middle selection. I didn't notice any noise but truthfully haven't played around that much with this setting.

Just remembered the name : Brilliance Enhancer
post #1453 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

So this is probably a silling question but how do you get to view what is on the jump drive when installed in one of the USB slots?

I know the system recognizes it but not sure how to get what is on the jump drive such as slides to run. I was expecting the display to show the appropriate input was added under the input button on the remote but it doesn't. I did see something on the remote that recognized the jump drive but when I selected it, a message came up saying it was okay to remove it.

This is probably so easy I'm embarrassed to ask. smile.gif

Appreciate thoughts on this.
post #1454 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
I think it's the VIERA Tools menu (a button on the remote). Then pick the obvius from there. I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #1455 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

So this is probably a silling question but how do you get to view what is on the jump drive when installed in one of the USB slots?

I know the system recognizes it but not sure how to get what is on the jump drive such as slides to run. I was expecting the display to show the appropriate input was added under the input button on the remote but it doesn't. I did see something on the remote that recognized the jump drive but when I selected it, a message came up saying it was okay to remove it.

This is probably so easy I'm embarrassed to ask. smile.gif

Appreciate thoughts on this.

Ok, when I was looking at one in Magnolia I had a heck of a time trying to figure this out as well.....There should be a button on the remote labeled "USB" click that and you should be able to access the USB stick. As far as I know thats the only way to get to content on a USB drive...
post #1456 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Ok, when I was looking at one in Magnolia I had a heck of a time trying to figure this out as well.....There should be a button on the remote labeled "USB" click that and you should be able to access the USB stick. As far as I know thats the only way to get to content on a USB drive...

Okay, I'll look for a button on my remote.

So I take it you weren't able to figure it out at Magnolia so reason you think a button on the remote will control it? I thought it was strange I could find a section in the remote's menu that recognized it was there but when I hit okay, message just says okay to remove. I haven't spend a lot of time but would have thought the display would automatically recognize it like a computer, maybe by adding it when clicking the input button to see the USB drive there but it doesn't.
post #1457 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can someone point me in the right direction to get some "starting point" calibration settings for my 65" VT60? I would really appreciate it!

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #1458 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Liked: 15
Its strange that the tv cannot be calibrated to a satisfactory level using panel luminance high. All those controls yet still it's looks bad. I don't know no why they even bothered.

I'd be interested in knowing what internal setting's the normal/standard preset are as when the contrast is cranked up its the brightest mode apart the horrid dynamic. If normal could be calibrated it would be the most versatile mode.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #1459 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Can someone point me in the right direction to get some "starting point" setting for my 65" VT60? I would really appreciate it!

I had excellent results with the following. Sorry if I don't get the names exactly right but hopefully you should know what I mean :

THX Cinema
color mode : Standard
Color : 48
Tint : 0
Sharpness : I have mine at 40 but still playing around with this to see if higher or lower is better. I know my picture is awesome with it at 40. I've seen another say 47. 50 is default. I definitely would not recommend above 50. Most calibrators I've seen adjust this down since most folks turn this setting up too high. I did read a review on the ST60 with this set to 17. I guess play around with this and see what you like. Look at the edges of faces, words and other things when adjusting.
Contrast : I would suggest turning it up to where it starts to wash out the picture then back it down. If you go to far down then repeated up and down until you get the contrast that works best for your likes / reoom environment.
Brightness : 0 is fine but I would say -5 to +10 is range according to your likes / room environment.
Panel Brightness : Comes set on low but seems recent post just a few back say mid is the best. You will need to adjust contrast and brightness more than likely if you change this from low to mid.
All settings turned off that do extra things to enhance the picture except I am asking just a few posts back about the Billiance Enhancer setting since to me, it seems to help. I currently put it a mid selection but suggest you try it out. I need to play with it more. You will need darker scenes to be able to see how it works.
NR noise : I am trying to figure out if low is better than off. I don't see any noise with the low setting and think might be better to have on low for any channels that might need it. Most reviewers have this turned off along with most of the other picture controls. I don't see low doing any negative effect.

Hope this helps. Should get you going.

Tell us how it works out.

I would be good to get others that actually own this set to chime in with their 2 cents on settings such as the Brilliance Enhancer.

Cheers!
post #1460 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had excellent results with the following. Sorry if I don't get the names exactly right but hopefully you should know what I mean :

THX Cinema
color mode : Standard
Color : 48
Tint : 0
Sharpness : I have mine at 40 but still playing around with this to see if higher or lower is better. I know my picture is awesome with it at 40. I've seen another say 47. 50 is default. I definitely would not recommend above 50. Most calibrators I've seen adjust this down since most folks turn this setting up too high. I did read a review on the ST60 with this set to 17. I guess play around with this and see what you like. Look at the edges of faces, words and other things when adjusting.
Contrast : I would suggest turning it up to where it starts to wash out the picture then back it down. If you go to far down then repeated up and down until you get the contrast that works best for your likes / reoom environment.
Brightness : 0 is fine but I would say -5 to +10 is range according to your likes / room environment.
Panel Brightness : Comes set on low but seems recent post just a few back say mid is the best. You will need to adjust contrast and brightness more than likely if you change this from low to mid.
All settings turned off that do extra things to enhance the picture except I am asking just a few posts back about the Billiance Enhancer setting since to me, it seems to help. I currently put it a mid selection but suggest you try it out. I need to play with it more. You will need darker scenes to be able to see how it works.
NR noise : I am trying to figure out if low is better than off. I don't see any noise with the low setting and think might be better to have on low for any channels that might need it. Most reviewers have this turned off along with most of the other picture controls. I don't see low doing any negative effect.

Hope this helps. Should get you going.

Tell us how it works out.

I would be good to get others that actually own this set to chime in with their 2 cents on settings such as the Brilliance Enhancer.

Cheers!
Thanks, I will tweak it tonight. I wish Dnice would post up the settings, I'm not sure why he hasn't yet? I know alot of people would appreciate it

post #1461 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I went to bestbuy eariler, and they had the VT60, and F8500 right next to each other, while playing a loop of a trailor from the new star trek movie, along with some best buy advertising..
I set the VT60 to vivid and then to THX Brightroom mode , and I did not touch the F8500, and I did not check which mode it was in.. For what it's worth this is what I saw..

VT60 had better blacks which were easy to see over the F8500.
VT60 had better reds
F8500 had a more sharp picture
F8500 Clearly had much whiter whites and about a 30% or 40% brighter picture (almost the level of the led that was next to it)
F8500 had more pop to the picture
VT60 had a nicer looking bezel, where as the F8500 screams "cheap" looking..

A lot of experts seem to believe that black levels are the most important aspect of PQ, but to my eyes, that is not the case.. It does help in certain scenes
but without enough light output, the VT60 will never have that "pop" or that "wow" factor that i look for.. For PQ i would choose the F8500 without a doubt, then again, once i get it home and start putting some hours on it, this opinion may change,,It's
just a shame that the bezel of the F8500 is so cheap and plain looking, and that, there are no really good deals on the F8500 going on right now eek.gif

Panasonic GT50 50"
Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
Samsung F8500 60"
(and a few crappy lcd sets). lol
post #1462 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:

Can someone point me in the right direction to get some "starting point" calibration settings for my 65" VT60? I would really appreciate it!
Every TV is unique, you can try this and that and get lucky, however each set is different from another.......
post #1463 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I understand. I am only looking for a starting point though, that's all.

post #1464 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks, I understand. I am only looking for a starting point though, that's all.
The VT60 series just got into stores. Settings from professionals like D-Nice, and from owners will come along later. There is a "settings" thread for the 2013 models that will have more settings as time goes on.

There may be some in this thread if you go back to the point where the VT60 first started getting into customer's hands. The VT65 is a European version, and may not be the best ones to get settings from.

Is there anything in post #1469 that helps you?
post #1465 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Thanks, I will tweak it tonight. I wish Dnice would post up the settings, I'm not sure why he hasn't yet? I know alot of people would appreciate it
Hes probably busy making a living. He doesnt get paid to post at AVS. Its a courtesy.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1466 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I went to bestbuy eariler, and they had the VT60, and F8500 right next to each other, while playing a loop of a trailor from the new star trek movie, along with some best buy advertising..
I set the VT60 to vivid and then to THX Brightroom mode , and I did not touch the F8500, and I did not check which mode it was in.. For what it's worth this is what I saw..

VT60 had better blacks which were easy to see over the F8500.
VT60 had better reds
F8500 had a more sharp picture
F8500 Clearly had much whiter whites and about a 30% or 40% brighter picture (almost the level of the led that was next to it)
F8500 had more pop to the picture
VT60 had a nicer looking bezel, where as the F8500 screams "cheap" looking..

A lot of experts seem to believe that black levels are the most important aspect of PQ, but to my eyes, that is not the case.. It does help in certain scenes
but without enough light output, the VT60 will never have that "pop" or that "wow" factor that i look for.. For PQ i would choose the F8500 without a doubt, then again, once i get it home and start putting some hours on it, this opinion may change,,It's
just a shame that the bezel of the F8500 is so cheap and plain looking, and that, there are no really good deals on the F8500 going on right now eek.gif

My VT gave me a wow factor the first time I watched a movie in the dark and the top and bottom black bars blended with the bezel and movie so much we couldn't tell where the TV was other than what was on screen .. The first time I noticed a black suit wasn't just black (not dark purple grey like my last TV Sony led) but shadows in the black suit were there ... I understand what you meant by pop and wow but this VT has its own ways of making you say ahhhh

About whites , I kinda like the way the VT shows whites , seems more life like or film like ... I don't have to squint every time something bright shows up , I can watch naturally and my brains says .. That's ice , that's sky , animated films like Nemo,wall-e , madascar 3 etc... Have plenty of brightness and pop

in no way am I implying what you saying is wrong or your idea of wow is off but any sort .. Just that's the beauty of life , the 8500 and the VT can mean just as much to one person as the other to someone else ... Whatever one you get I'm sure you will be ecstatic .. If not that's what the return policy is for wink.gif
post #1467 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Headed to return my VT for a f8500. The VT had a loud fan/buzzing, I also noticed DSE which wasn't a huge deal since every TV I've seen has it. Also, I want more brightness/less glare.

post #1468 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 529
You will indeed get more brightness, however I am not so sure about the statement of less glare. These screens are both made of glass in the end. That statement is very subjective on who is seeing the units.

To each his own and best of luck in all endeavors wink.gif
post #1469 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You will indeed get more brightness, however I am not so sure about the statement of less glare. These screens are both made of glass in the end. That statement is very subjective on who is seeing the units.

To each his own and best of luck in all endeavors wink.gif
In the F8500 setup that I saw there was much less reflected image on the screen from objects in the room. There was no VT60 in that room. My impression was that there were no reflections. If I was a shopper, I would have looked closer. wink.gif
post #1470 of 14919 Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

My VT gave me a wow factor the first time I watched a movie in the dark and the top and bottom black bars blended with the bezel and movie so much we couldn't tell where the TV was other than what was on screen .. The first time I noticed a black suit wasn't just black (not dark purple grey like my last TV Sony led) but shadows in the black suit were there ... I understand what you meant by pop and wow but this VT has its own ways of making you say ahhhh

About whites , I kinda like the way the VT shows whites , seems more life like or film like ... I don't have to squint every time something bright shows up , I can watch naturally and my brains says .. That's ice , that's sky , animated films like Nemo,wall-e , madascar 3 etc... Have plenty of brightness and pop

in no way am I implying what you saying is wrong or your idea of wow is off but any sort .. Just that's the beauty of life , the 8500 and the VT can mean just as much to one person as the other to someone else ... Whatever one you get I'm sure you will be ecstatic .. If not that's what the return policy is for wink.gif

I should just go and buy a Vizio, and save some money for once.. lol At least I won't have have high expectations, and maybe only then will i be satisfied biggrin.gif

Panasonic GT50 50"
Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
Samsung F8500 60"
(and a few crappy lcd sets). lol
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page