Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 492 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14731 of 14734 Old Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
the reason why it's helpful to state these facts, is because in other threads or forums there has to be a lot of "cleaning up" to do when peeps say well I heard a 6pt cal is as good as a 3D LUT etc... it's just not true... is the difference on other displays as "small" as it is on the VT60 ? Depends on the display, "small" is obviously a relative term.

and (as u might know) then there's peeps saying they're doing a manual disc cal and it matches a 6pt cal done by a Pro using high end meters.

but, naturally a "bad" 3D LUT can be outperformed by a good 6pt cal, even THX as is... ;-)

1D LUTs are supported in semi-pro / lower-end pro screens and is Greyscale only, helpful if the gamut is spot on or can be controlled.

Thanks for the clarification, I understand that luts can be more valuable depending on the set. At least you concede it is a "small" difference. Appreciate you acknowledging that !

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14732 of 14734 Old Today, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
like your "straight line" 10pt greyscale images... hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa welcome to 2002, Larry.

why don't u run a 101pt or 255pt Greyscale and then post images... ?

ah right, that bubble you live in... u know, sometimes it's better not to know the truth...

your bff Zoyd with your other AVS only bud Gill is giving you the gift of free 65^3 cals but u just can't escape that bubble...

btw, IQ can't be measured... ?!? let me... wow... okay... well.... Larry, good luck.

Wow, you do seem to think that you know all. I've been using Argyll (not ArgyII) for many years. You don't know that but apparently you have no problem assuming it.

With one of my spare laptops, I ran a 729 point cal on my old Panasonic X1 using the command line Argyll and MadVR. The results were great and readily apparent. However, doing the same to with my VT60 yielded no visible difference at all compared to a standard HCFR calibration -- no visible difference at all. In other words, a 3DLUT has its place. That place is not with the VT60 however.

Larry
chunon likes this.
post #14733 of 14734 Old Today, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
Wow, you do seem to think that you know all. I've been using Argyll (not ArgyII) for many years. You don't know that but apparently you have no problem assuming it.

With one of my spare laptops, I ran a 729 point cal on my old Panasonic X1 using the command line Argyll and MadVR. The results were great and readily apparent. However, doing the same to with my VT60 yielded no visible difference at all compared to a standard HCFR calibration -- no visible difference at all. In other words, a 3DLUT has its place. That place is not with the VT60 however.

Larry

That is my only real point, it is not to dismiss 3dluts at all. Just IMO the effort and cost produces very little visual benefit. Even Buzz has mentioned you would have to compare side by side with the screen paused to see the difference.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14734 of 14734 Old Today, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Does the 3D LUT calibration hardware handle 3D signals as well?
Yes. The Lumagens process all 3D formats and the eeColor Processor is limited to side by side or top/bottom (not sure about checkerboard). The eeColor will not process Blu-Ray frame packed 3D but this can be circumvented by ripping a Blu-Ray to an MKV file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
That is my only real point, it is not to dismiss 3dluts at all. Just IMO the effort and cost produces very little visual benefit. Even Buzz has mentioned you would have to compare side by side with the screen paused to see the difference.
As Mike said, cycling a 3D LUT on and off on paused video will show a difference on any display. In my observation, color tracking on the VT60 is good enough that the difference will not be seen on motion video as opposed to displays that do not track well like the Sharp Elite.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread