Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 494 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14791 of 14809 Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is this a brand new VT60? Any leads would, or might, be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14792 of 14809 Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I'm going crazy. On my VT60 I am seeing a greenish outline like drop shadow under white text. This is when sitting around 2m distance. As I walk closer to the set it disappears at about 60cm's away. I'm seeing this on my Oppo 103 when I'm selecting titles to stream from my media server but also noticed it last playing Destiny on my PS4. My wife is swearing she can't see it. I thought it may be my eyes, but even with my glasses (slight stigmatism) I see it. I don't have this issue on my Kuro at all!

I've tried all difference picture modes, resolutions, color options etc but nothing removes it. Am I seeing reflections perhaps? Anyone else see what I'm seeing?
post #14793 of 14809 Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #14794 of 14809 Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have tried D-nice and another setting and this one seems to suit me fine. I have not yet done the 3d.

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #14795 of 14809 Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So there's no black crush on high panel brightness on this set? I know the ST60 suffered from quite a bit of crush under high?
post #14796 of 14809 Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
So there's no black crush on high panel brightness on this set? I know the ST60 suffered from quite a bit of crush under high?
Not if the calibration is done correctly
post #14797 of 14809 Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 13
I have changed both HDMI content type and HDMI/DVI RGB range to AUTO on my 65VT60. When changing sources (using AVR connected to HDMI 2) from a YCbCr source(blue ray player or Dish DVR) to an RGB source(Roku3) the TV does not change automatically and the black level on the RGB source is incorrect until the TV is turned off and then turned back on again. Is this behavior correct?

post #14798 of 14809 Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
post #14799 of 14809 Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRussell View Post
I have changed both HDMI content type and HDMI/DVI RGB range to AUTO on my 65VT60. When changing sources (using AVR connected to HDMI 2) from a YCbCr source(blue ray player or Dish DVR) to an RGB source(Roku3) the TV does not change automatically and the black level on the RGB source is incorrect until the TV is turned off and then turned back on again. Is this behavior correct?
Like sillysally said, it very well does sound like a handshake issue. My only RGB source is my HTPC (full range) and it changes correctly with my AVR. Is there a reason your Roku is set to RGB? Do you use it for anything other than video like gaming apps? I dont think the issue is changing to an RGB source, it seems more like changing to the Roku. Many standalone media players I've tried don't necessarily shake hands when changing inputs on the AVR. I've had this problem a few times with Apple TV 3.

Last edited by BldyBg; 07-28-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #14800 of 14809 Old 07-28-2014, 02:10 PM

The Roku 3 streaming device only outputs RGB there is no other option. Is there a setting on the VT60 that will change it to the correct setting without turning the TV of and then on again. I suppose I could program a power cycle on the TV into my harmony one when choosing the watch Roku activity if necessary but that seems like a kluge. Thanks.

post #14801 of 14809 Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

No.

It sounds like some source is outputting PC range or signaling PC range, 0-255. Your VT60 is expecting video range 16-235.
Therefor your black level will be as you described. Should have noting to do with RGB, as long as the signal is video range.

You could try and recycle your source when a change is made.

ss

Last edited by sillysally; 07-28-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #14802 of 14809 Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM

What do the auto settings on RGB Range on the VT60 do then? With the HDMI/DVI RGB Range set to Auto shouldn't the TV auto detect the RGB range and adjust accordingly. The Roku does not have a setting option for PC or Video range. I guess I will play with it some more and see if I can come up with something, or reprogram the Harmony to power cycle the TV as the Roku does not have a power cycle command, it plugs in and that is it.

post #14803 of 14809 Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all -

I have an odd issue.

I'm currently using my 55 VT60 as a computer monitor, primarily for playing games (Diablo 3). The PC is connected to the TV via a 15 foot HDMI cable.

My issue is that every minute or so (it's a bit random), text on screen shifts colors slightly and becomes out of focus, before focusing again. I've turned off all post processing aside from 444 direct, which I did toggle to test to see if that's what was doing this. I've tried HDMI 1 and HDMI 3, and even tried running the PC through my receiver and the problem persists.

I've got two other monitors connected via DVI and this issue isn't happening on those monitors.

I thought it might be the HDMI cable, but don't HDMI cables either work or don't work? Or is this a symptom of a bad HDMI cable? Is this a problem anyone else here has encountered?

I understand this is a strange issue, but if anyone has a solution or ideas for what might be causing this, I'm all ears.
post #14804 of 14809 Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post
Hi all -

My issue is that every minute or so (it's a bit random), text on screen shifts colors slightly and becomes out of focus, before focusing again.

I understand this is a strange issue, but if anyone has a solution or ideas for what might be causing this, I'm all ears.
You might try turning off Pixel Orbiter to see if that helps.
sage11x likes this.
post #14805 of 14809 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Pretty sure it's the pixel orbiter which is causing what you are seeing.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #14806 of 14809 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Most everything is based on RGB, and somewhere along the line are decoders and transcoders (conversion) involved.

I would suggest you start here to better understand about RGB and YCbCr .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr

You may even want to check out your HDMI cable, you would want a high speed 1.3 HDMI cable.

You also said something about a AVR in your chain, if you are running your Roku through your AVR look there also.
Also check out any Roku threads for issues.

The other things you could try with your VT60 is.
Turn Off 1080 Pure Direct.
HDMI content Type Off
Auto detail settings, Cinema Off
Try a different HDMI port in your VT60.
Do a factory reset.

When you say you switch to your Roku your backs get messed up, leads me to believe there is a miss communication somewhere in your chain.

There are many combinations (settings) in a video chain involving AVR, Roku, PS3, cable box, Blu Ray players, ect.

If none of the above suggestions help, I would run each device directly to your VT60 and see if there is any problems. At-least that way you can pin point the problem and go from there.

ss
post #14807 of 14809 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

I have been using my HTPC with the VT60 since day 1. First thing to do (amongst other things on PC, like hide desktop icons and auto-hide taskbar) is turn Graphics OFF in HDMI Content Type. If you turn HDMI content type off completely, Game Mode will not turn on and off automatically when playing AAA games. Some indie games don't send the gaming flag to the TV for some reason. Leaving Pixel Orbiter on will slow down image retention but will show ghosting on text every minute or so. It is noticeable mostly on red text. I only turn it off when it's time for a Blu-Ray.

Now, about 1080p Pure Direct. Question for the experts. I only started leaving it on for PC a couple of months ago. The chroma sharpness finally matched my monitor's. I read that with an RGB signal, the VT60 converts RGB>YUV>RGB and it's best to leave Pure Direct off with RGB (the test was probably done with Limited Range RGB (16-235)). Can anyone else confirm this? If the set can only do YUV at 444, should I just set my GPU to YCbCr444? Or is Full RGB still more advantageous in this case?
post #14808 of 14809 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, it was the pixel orbiter! Thanks for the quick response. I'll probably leave it on, but I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my (very expensive) tv.
post #14809 of 14809 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

The other things you could try with your VT60 is.
Turn Off 1080 Pure Direct. This is already off
HDMI content Type Off I turned this off, it was set to Auto, not sure if it made a difference yet
Auto detail settings, Cinema Off This is also off as are all enhancement settings

I originally thought the issue was that video conversion was turned on in the AVR (Pioneer SC-1222), I switched the video conversion off so that the AVR is pass through only on video. The black level issue (blacks and black bars looked gray only on Roku, no other sources) persisted on the Roku when switching from another source (dish 722 dvr). Did some reading in the Roku forum here and someone said that it output only RGB not YCbCr and suggested changing the HDMI RGB Range setting and that it had fixed the same issue for them. The first time I changed this setting it immediately changed the black level on the Roku so that it was darker and looked correct. The next time I used the Roku I noticed the gray-blacks again. I tried power cycling the TV and that fixed it. Have been doing that manually for several weeks but would like to actually fix the issue rather than have to correct it manually. If the Roku is outputting PC video levels rather than normal video levels it seems that there should be a setting on the TV that will allow it to automatically detect the video level and adjust itself accordingly.

The Roku is a simple streaming device with minimal settings, no power on off command, the wall wart plugs into the wall and the power cord plugs into the back that is how you power it up. The only video options is setting it to 720 or 1080.

I will experiment with the HDMI input and taking the AVR out of the chain and see what if anything I find out from that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread