Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 496 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14851 of 14880 Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gene9p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
is your Orbitor set to On.....I had retention issues using auto setting
gene9p is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14852 of 14880 Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
jimshowalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Can the metal edge trim be removed?

It's distracting, picks up light even in the dark and reflects a bit of it. I'd prefer an all-black front. The trim appears to be made of strips with corners cut at 45 degrees, and the strips held on with small screws. What's underneath? Is the trim structural, protective, or purely ornamental?

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
jimshowalter is offline  
post #14853 of 14880 Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 AM
Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Malden, MA 02148
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
It's distracting, picks up light even in the dark and reflects a bit of it. I'd prefer an all-black front. The trim appears to be made of strips with corners cut at 45 degrees, and the strips held on with small screws. What's underneath? Is the trim structural, protective, or purely ornamental?
I wouldn't remove it, but it's easily covered with black trim/decal material.
dianebrat is offline  
post #14854 of 14880 Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Member
 
Jake518's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my VT60 for about 8 months now and the other night there was a click sound while I was watching the TV and the left four inches of the screen went black. I've tried changing the inputs, disconnecting the tv and reconnecting everything, and it just looks like those four inches are black.

I've called Panasonic and they informed me it must be a bad screen, but since the VT60's aren't made any longer, they don't have the parts to repair it. The only silver lining is they said they'll completely refund the TV for me, since it's under warranty. It's a shame though... I really loved this TV and the picture quality was amazing.

Oh well... time to find a new TV
Jake518 is offline  
post #14855 of 14880 Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake518 View Post
I've had my VT60 for about 8 months now and the other night there was a click sound while I was watching the TV and the left four inches of the screen went black. I've tried changing the inputs, disconnecting the tv and reconnecting everything, and it just looks like those four inches are black.

I've called Panasonic and they informed me it must be a bad screen, but since the VT60's aren't made any longer, they don't have the parts to repair it. The only silver lining is they said they'll completely refund the TV for me, since it's under warranty. It's a shame though... I really loved this TV and the picture quality was amazing.

Oh well... time to find a new TV
Man, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that. It's ashamed such a great TV at what was a very reasonable price is no longer being made.

DavidHir is online now  
post #14856 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM
Member
 
Esteban Medaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's incredible and extremely concerning that they no longer have parts to fix these TV's. Even if they offer a full refund, what are you going to buy with that money? Nothing comes close to the VT60 that's currently on sale, except for the F8500, and that one is hard to find and not cheap and comes with its own set of issues.

My own 65VT60 (which is about 16 months old) acted weird last night. It was displaying a very faint, sightly flickering horizontal white line in the lower black letterbox bar while watching 2.35:1 movies. I would say ionly 2 or 3 pixels high. REALLY faint. It was intermittent and seemed to go away every time I switched from HDM 1 to TV/Cable. But then it would come back. Again, very faint (my wife could not even see it) but annoying and distracting since it ruined the "floating image" effect on a 2.35:1 movie. Those blacks are quite dark, as we know, so any variation in light output is immediately evident to the trained eye. I thought perhaps the disc was defective, or there was a fault in the encoding or transfer of the movie (the original "Casino Royale"... NOT the Daniel Craig film), since the line looked like time-code data or something you see in crappy local broadcasts from a no-name station, the type of data that used to be invisible due to overscan in the old sets. I switched from HD Size 1 to 2 and back, and it was still there, so it wasn't the disc. I then turned the TV off but still no luck (the line came back again, it would go away when switching inputs, and then come back). I finally turned my Oppo 103 off and on again, watched about 90 mins of other 2.35:1 blu rays afterwards, and the line SEEMS to have gone away. Perhaps it was an HDMI handshake issue (never happened before) or the Oppo just needed a re-boot... Not sure if the Oppo or the VT60 were to blame. Still, comments like the above REALLY concern me. I would be heart-broken if my VT60 needs repair and there's nothing that can be done about it. I even bought the 3-year warranty, but it seems that wouldn't help at all. I just hope that this thing lasts enough time for OLED to become affordable in a 65" size... Very, very upset about Panasonic not keeping enough parts in stock. I'm really sorry about your case, David. I hope you are able to work out a solution you are happy with. Please keep us posted if anything changes.
Esteban Medaglia is online now  
post #14857 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere"
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
It's incredible and extremely concerning that they no longer have parts to fix these TV's. Even if they offer a full refund, what are you going to buy with that money? Nothing comes close to the VT60 that's currently on sale, except for the F8500, and that one is hard to find and not cheap and comes with its own set of issues.

My own 65VT60 (which is about 16 months old) acted weird last night. It was displaying a very faint, sightly flickering horizontal white line in the lower black letterbox bar while watching 2.35:1 movies. I would say ionly 2 or 3 pixels high. REALLY faint. It was intermittent and seemed to go away every time I switched from HDM 1 to TV/Cable. But then it would come back. Again, very faint (my wife could not even see it) but annoying and distracting since it ruined the "floating image" effect on a 2.35:1 movie. Those blacks are quite dark, as we know, so any variation in light output is immediately evident to the trained eye. I thought perhaps the disc was defective, or there was a fault in the encoding or transfer of the movie (the original "Casino Royale"... NOT the Daniel Craig film), since the line looked like time-code data or something you see in crappy local broadcasts from a no-name station, the type of data that used to be invisible due to overscan in the old sets. I switched from HD Size 1 to 2 and back, and it was still there, so it wasn't the disc. I then turned the TV off but still no luck (the line came back again, it would go away when switching inputs, and then come back). I finally turned my Oppo 103 off and on again, watched about 90 mins of other 2.35:1 blu rays afterwards, and the line SEEMS to have gone away. Perhaps it was an HDMI handshake issue (never happened before) or the Oppo just needed a re-boot... Not sure if the Oppo or the VT60 were to blame. Still, comments like the above REALLY concern me. I would be heart-broken if my VT60 needs repair and there's nothing that can be done about it. I even bought the 3-year warranty, but it seems that wouldn't help at all. I just hope that this thing lasts enough time for OLED to become affordable in a 65" size... Very, very upset about Panasonic not keeping enough parts in stock. I'm really sorry about your case, David. I hope you are able to work out a solution you are happy with. Please keep us posted if anything changes.
The F8500 is far from hard to find and is reasonably priced.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is online now  
post #14858 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
Member
 
Esteban Medaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Man, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that. It's ashamed such a great TV at what was a very reasonable price is no longer being made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
The F8500 is far from hard to find and is reasonably priced.
Let's not go there, please. I vastly prefer the VT60, for many other reasons besides picture quality (better audio, 65 vs. 64", aesthetics, etc). I have no intentions to start yet another VT vs F8500 debate. The point in my previous post is clear, I'd like to think. By the way, I would appreciate any feedback regarding the issue described in that post.
Schwa likes this.
Esteban Medaglia is online now  
post #14859 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake518 View Post
I've had my VT60 for about 8 months now and the other night there was a click sound while I was watching the TV and the left four inches of the screen went black. I've tried changing the inputs, disconnecting the tv and reconnecting everything, and it just looks like those four inches are black.

I've called Panasonic and they informed me it must be a bad screen, but since the VT60's aren't made any longer, they don't have the parts to repair it. The only silver lining is they said they'll completely refund the TV for me, since it's under warranty. It's a shame though... I really loved this TV and the picture quality was amazing.

Oh well... time to find a new TV
My condolences I am hoping my set lasts for a while

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #14860 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
Let's not go there, please. I vastly prefer the VT60, for many other reasons besides picture quality (better audio, 65 vs. 64", aesthetics, etc). I have no intentions to start yet another VT vs F8500 debate. The point in my previous post is clear, I'd like to think. By the way, I would appreciate any feedback regarding the issue described in that post.
There is really nothing to say about what happen to you last night and nothing to worry about unless it happens again. As for the Samsung 8500 it is a worthy replacement, especially if you can afford to get it calibrated. Much better than what is on the market currently unless you want a curved OLED that is only 55 inches or your a forum member named Fruad (spelling) who has 3,000 posts in 5 months regarding the incredible Vizio E, M, P, R series. Enjoy your set, I know I am and you have a few more years of coverage should something really go wrong.
smurraybhm is offline  
post #14861 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Member
 
Jake518's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the condolences on the issues I've had with my VT60. I just received word from Panasonic that the shipping company will be picking up the TV in the new few days. As nice as Panasonic has been, I really wish they'd have tried to repair the TV. What people have said about having trouble finding an adequate replacement seems true. Though I have some cash to get a new TV, I don't think I'm going to find anything as good in that price range (~$2000).

Right now, I'm looking at the Samsung 64" F8500 as a possibility, if I can find a good deal over the next few months (currently out of my price range). If anyone has any other recommendations for ~65" tv (plasma/lcd/led), I'm all ears. Feel free to PM me. As much as I love researching stuff, I was completely happy with the VT60, so kind of frustrated. Thanks!
Jake518 is offline  
post #14862 of 14880 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I boxed up my 3 year old 65 inch Panasonic plasma as a back up when I bought the Panasonic 65 VT60 . It's not as nice as the VT60 but it's a backup. So hopefully I'll have a good 6 years before having to look for something else.
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #14863 of 14880 Old Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post
I boxed up my 3 year old 65 inch Panasonic plasma as a back up when I bought the Panasonic 65 VT60 . It's not as nice as the VT60 but it's a backup. So hopefully I'll have a good 6 years before having to look for something else.
Which model did you box up?

DavidHir is online now  
post #14864 of 14880 Old Today, 03:14 PM
Member
 
nehmia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I am fed up with this model. It looks gorgeous but in the past 4 months the main board/hdmi ports have died on me. I have a whole home surge protector and an in wall surge protector. I know they do NOT guarantee protecting sensitive equipment, but I would at least expect the TV to have a LITTLE bit more built in protection or be more robust (bigger caps?). Never had an issue with any other TV in the house.

I was sitting here watching TV and a distant thunderstorm was approaching. No flicker, no rain/loud boom. All the sudden the TV signal input goes kaput, but audio and source still going strong through the AVR. Do I need an HDMI surge protector (sarcasm)??

I am going to try and do a second warranty claim on this TV and then you will see me in the classifieds (keep an eye out!).

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon X2000 | Polk monitor 75T | Polk monitor 25C | Polk monitor 45B

Last edited by nehmia; Today at 03:21 PM.
nehmia is online now  
post #14865 of 14880 Old Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 379
^ so this is the second thunderstorm that has knocked out your VT60?
smurraybhm is offline  
post #14866 of 14880 Old Today, 03:39 PM
Member
 
nehmia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
^ so this is the second thunderstorm that has knocked out your VT60?
That is correct.

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon X2000 | Polk monitor 75T | Polk monitor 25C | Polk monitor 45B
nehmia is online now  
post #14867 of 14880 Old Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 379
^ It would be nice of Panasonic to fix something that normally isn't covered under their warranty - twice. Once I could see your wondering about quality, twice I would wonder about my home's wiring or cable connection. It's been a while since lightening was an issue for me, but there was no rhyme or reason to what electronic devices survived or didn't. I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood and I mean this nicely unless your buying another plasma or OLED - enjoy the crappy LED image. I'd just keep the surge protector off and the HDMI unplugged when not in use. The picture from my VT60 would be worth the minor inconvenience vs. what is available right now including the 8500. Good luck with Panny.
smurraybhm is offline  
post #14868 of 14880 Old Today, 04:00 PM
Member
 
nehmia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
^ It would be nice of Panasonic to fix something that normally isn't covered under their warranty - twice. Once I could see your wondering about quality, twice I would wonder about my home's wiring or cable connection. It's been a while since lightening was an issue for me, but there was no rhyme or reason to what electronic devices survived or didn't. I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood and I mean this nicely unless your buying another plasma or OLED - enjoy the crappy LED image.
This is the only sensitive electronic device that has ever had issues in my home (28/m IT type with plenty of electronics). Im not upset at the lightning, I'm upset that this is apparently a dainty flower when a lightening strikes 5 miles away from my home somewhere and the only thing to be affected in a permanent manor is this particular TV. Sure there are TONS of variables, but my gripe lies in this premium TV with seemingly little built in safe guard for the inevitable surges. Don't take me wrong, I am not talking about some direct hit... I am talking about the every day fluctuations that not one of my other pieces of equipment have ever suffered from.

Quote:
I'd just keep the surge protector off and the HDMI unplugged when not in use...
That is ridiculous. However you are the one with less damaged electronics at the moment than yours truly, but none the less ridiculous. Maybe one day I will learn. Cheers!

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon X2000 | Polk monitor 75T | Polk monitor 25C | Polk monitor 45B
nehmia is online now  
post #14869 of 14880 Old Today, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Obviously your results differ from mine and Birmingham has more than it's far share of bad weather. I believe Alabama is ranked in the top 3 for storms, tornados and the occasional hurricane/tropical storm. We just had a thunderstorm with a lot of lightening/thunder (woke me up) early Monday morning and no problems for me. To imply that the VT60 is a dainty flower is wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of other VT60 owners who've survived a thunderstorm or twenty since buying their displays. Sorry about the bad luck, but I would still be careful going forward with whatever I bought, they don't make them like they use to. Maybe the Vizio P or R will be the answer to everyone's prayers - not
smurraybhm is offline  
post #14870 of 14880 Old Today, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
Let's not go there, please. I vastly prefer the VT60, for many other reasons besides picture quality (better audio, 65 vs. 64", aesthetics, etc). I have no intentions to start yet another VT vs F8500 debate. The point in my previous post is clear, I'd like to think. By the way, I would appreciate any feedback regarding the issue described in that post.
I WANT MORE wasn't starting a debate. It was you in fact that stated the F8500 was hard to find and not cheap. He just responded correcting your misinformation. You jumped the gun pretty far.
I WANT MORE likes this.
HLdan is online now  
post #14871 of 14880 Old Today, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Esteban Medaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I WANT MORE wasn't starting a debate. It was you in fact that stated the F8500 was hard to find and not cheap. He just responded correcting your misinformation. You jumped the gun pretty far.
And here I was thinking that posting in this thread again after a few bad apples ruined it for me in the past was smart... In fact, the level of aggression and childishness on these pages is off the chart. I "jumped the gun pretty far"? Please! I simply pointed out that the F8500 is hard to find (in my area, it is... and I do not want to buy online in this case, so Amazon it's out of the question) and expensive (compared to what I paid for my VT60 and am willing to pay for yet another TV that may or may not disappoint, and specially since similarly-priced 65" OLEDs seem to be a matter of 1 or 2 years away, it IS expensive TO ME). I'm happy to be corrected, but in this case I see no misinformation on my part. What I see is a bunch of folks for whom this or that set (VT60, F8500, or what have you) can do no harm. Sometimes I think that joining this place was the worst mistake I have ever done when it comes to my love of movies. I used to love simply watching movies, you know? Seems almost impossible to do that now without obsessing over black levels, floating blacks, quality control issues, lack of spare parts, rising blacks (I owned a V10 in the past), etc.
Esteban Medaglia is online now  
post #14872 of 14880 Old Today, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
And here I was thinking that posting in this thread again after a few bad apples ruined it for me in the past was smart... In fact, the level of aggression and childishness on these pages is off the chart. I "jumped the gun pretty far"? Please! I simply pointed out that the F8500 is hard to find (in my area, it is... and I do not want to buy online in this case, so Amazon it's out of the question) and expensive (compared to what I paid for my VT60 and am willing to pay for yet another TV that may or may not disappoint, and specially since similarly-priced 65" OLEDs seem to be a matter of 1 or 2 years away, it IS expensive TO ME). I'm happy to be corrected, but in this case I see no misinformation on my part. What I see is a bunch of folks for whom this or that set (VT60, F8500, or what have you) can do no harm. Sometimes I think that joining this place was the worst mistake I have ever done when it comes to my love of movies. I used to love simply watching movies, you know? Seems almost impossible to do that now without obsessing over black levels, floating blacks, quality control issues, lack of spare parts, rising blacks (I owned a V10 in the past), etc.
Well I'm sorry for you that AVS isn't the place you want it to be but I read a few of the posts in regards to your issues and I see no one acting out of place towards your concerns. You were in fact incorrect. The F8500 is not hard to find (at least in the U.S) and it can be found for reasonable prices. You just don't want the TV as you stated earlier. That's perfectly fine but I saw no one trying to start a debate. You might want to calm down a bit.
HLdan is online now  
post #14873 of 14880 Old Today, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I WANT MORE wasn't starting a debate. It was you in fact that stated the F8500 was hard to find and not cheap. He just responded correcting your misinformation. You jumped the gun pretty far.
Please don't start anything here you don't own a vt60 I remember your shenanigans from a few years back in the st50 threads. He was just pointing out he doesnt like the 8500 that is his right .
chunon is online now  
post #14874 of 14880 Old Today, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Esteban Medaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you, Chunon. If he doesn't even own an VT60, I now understand why he reacted the way he did. In any case, moving on... Thanks again for your comment, Chunon.

Last edited by Esteban Medaglia; Today at 05:37 PM.
Esteban Medaglia is online now  
post #14875 of 14880 Old Today, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
Thank you, Chunon. If he doesn't even own an F8500, I now understand why he reacted the way he did. In any case, moving on... Thanks again for your comment, Chunon.
I own an F8500.
HLdan is online now  
post #14876 of 14880 Old Today, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Esteban Medaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I meant to say that you don't even own a VT60. It is more than obvious that you DO own an F8500...
Esteban Medaglia is online now  
post #14877 of 14880 Old Today, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
I meant to say that you don't even own a VT60. It is more than obvious that you DO own an F8500...
Yes, exactly and that's why I stated that they are not hard to find. That's all I said. Never spoke against the VT60.
HLdan is online now  
post #14878 of 14880 Old Today, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Yes, exactly and that's why I stated that they are not hard to find. That's all I said. Never spoke against the VT60.
Are you lost ? He is trying to solve an issue with his vt60 stated he isnt interested in the 8500.
chunon is online now  
post #14879 of 14880 Old Today, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,763
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehmia View Post
That is ridiculous. However you are the one with less damaged electronics at the moment than yours truly, but none the less ridiculous. Maybe one day I will learn. Cheers!
Effective home surge protection from lightning strikes does not exist short of disconnecting the sensitive devices from the path of a lightning surge.

What type of HDMI connection do you have that would be a path for such surges? Are you talking about a HDMI connection from a cable/satellite box or antenna?

I'm not a professional in such areas, but I have participated as part of a team hosting a national conference on surge protection for sensitive loads. In the right conditions even ground can provide a path into a protected facility with explosive results.

Even though my surge protection carries insurance, I disconnect everything before trips or when there are thunder storms in our area. Wee get very few thunder storms so that makes it a little easier to be completely safe.

Last edited by htwaits; Today at 06:01 PM.
htwaits is offline  
post #14880 of 14880 Old Today, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Effective home surge protection from lightning strikes does not exist short of disconnecting the sensitive devices from the path of a lightning surge.
Nothing will provide 100% protection against a lightning strike. However, installing a surge protection device at the meter ($190), installing a whole house surge protection in the panel ($250) and using individual surge protection on electronics will get you almost there. I used all three when I lived in Central Florida and never had damage when these devices where installed. And I had strikes in my yard. Haven't installed the same type equipment here in Texas. But I do have a whole house surge which I recently purchases and will be installed before next spring's storms. All of my electronics are on a surge at the wall.

If you carry a high insurance deductible as I do, worth the investment.

Last edited by eaayoung; Today at 07:47 PM.
eaayoung is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off