Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 497 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14881 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Nothing will provide 100% protection against a lightning strike. However, installing a surge protection device at the meter ($190), installing a whole house surge protection in the panel ($250) and using individual surge protection on electronics will get you almost there. I used all three when I lived in Central Florida and never had damage when these devices where installed. And I had strikes in my yard. Haven't installed the same type equipment here in Texas. But I do have a whole house surge which I recently purchases and will be installed before next spring's storms. All of my electronics are on a surge at the wall.

If you carry a high insurance deductible as I do, worth the investment.
I agree, but even with your suggested installation, I would disconnect any time that there was a chance that lightning was flitting about.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14882 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
It's incredible and extremely concerning that they no longer have parts to fix these TV's. Even if they offer a full refund, what are you going to buy with that money? Nothing comes close to the VT60 that's currently on sale, except for the F8500, and that one is hard to find and not cheap and comes with its own set of issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
The F8500 is far from hard to find and is reasonably priced.
Quote:
Let's not go there, please. I vastly prefer the VT60, for many other reasons besides picture quality (better audio, 65 vs. 64", aesthetics, etc). I have no intentions to start yet another VT vs F8500 debate. The point in my previous post is clear, I'd like to think. By the way, I would appreciate any feedback regarding the issue described in that post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I WANT MORE wasn't starting a debate. It was you in fact that stated the F8500 was hard to find and not cheap. He just responded correcting your misinformation. You jumped the gun pretty far.
Quote:
And here I was thinking that posting in this thread again after a few bad apples ruined it for me in the past was smart... In fact, the level of aggression and childishness on these pages is off the chart. I "jumped the gun pretty far"? Please! I simply pointed out that the F8500 is hard to find (in my area, it is... and I do not want to buy online in this case, so Amazon it's out of the question) and expensive (compared to what I paid for my VT60 and am willing to pay for yet another TV that may or may not disappoint, and specially since similarly-priced 65" OLEDs seem to be a matter of 1 or 2 years away, it IS expensive TO ME). I'm happy to be corrected, but in this case I see no misinformation on my part. What I see is a bunch of folks for whom this or that set (VT60, F8500, or what have you) can do no harm. Sometimes I think that joining this place was the worst mistake I have ever done when it comes to my love of movies. I used to love simply watching movies, you know? Seems almost impossible to do that now without obsessing over black levels, floating blacks, quality control issues, lack of spare parts, rising blacks (I owned a V10 in the past), etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Please don't start anything here you don't own a vt60 I remember your shenanigans from a few years back in the st50 threads. He was just pointing out he doesnt like the 8500 that is his right .
Haven't been on here in a while but did people just forget how to read? The guy said the F8500 was hard to find, someone responded no it isn't. How does anyone interpret that to mean one TV is better then another. He was simply addressing a statement that was false. Just because someone doesn't want to order a TV online does not mean it is hard to find.

If Amazon has stock it does not get any easier to find then that. You do not even need to leave your couch! If you don't want to order online, then the correct statement would have been you cannot seem to find the TV locally. No one can argue with that unless they live in your neighborhood.

How anyone pulled one TV is better then the other out of this has got me. Maybe my reading comprehension skills are getting worse as I get older.
HLdan likes this.
post #14883 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake518 View Post
I've had my VT60 for about 8 months now and the other night there was a click sound while I was watching the TV and the left four inches of the screen went black. I've tried changing the inputs, disconnecting the tv and reconnecting everything, and it just looks like those four inches are black.

I've called Panasonic and they informed me it must be a bad screen, but since the VT60's aren't made any longer, they don't have the parts to repair it. The only silver lining is they said they'll completely refund the TV for me, since it's under warranty. It's a shame though... I really loved this TV and the picture quality was amazing.

Oh well... time to find a new TV
So did they just take your word for it or are they sending a tech to look at the TV first before issuing a refund? Is someone going to come and pickup the TV if they are just taking your word for it?
post #14884 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there folks :-) How you all been doing? I hope great!

May I ask you guys, I brought my 60vt60 with me when a moved from US back to Greece a few days ago, now I read that the us model is set to 120V AC, 60Hz :-( I was hopping it would handle 240v 50hz that we use here in Greece what do you guys recoment I should do? also greece uses pal 2 system will the tv support that or it only supports ntsc ? please help me
post #14885 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 622
To make it work you'd need to invest in a power transformer (not just an adapter) and also a PAL/NTSC converter box. The results will not be as good as if you were just using a native PAL TV. When watching 24p content (blurays) the Pal/NTSC part isn't necessary though and everything will look the same. Sorry about that
gosas likes this.
post #14886 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
So did they just take your word for it or are they sending a tech to look at the TV first before issuing a refund? Is someone going to come and pickup the TV if they are just taking your word for it?
They did just take my word for it... that's what I thought was a little strange. I kind of wanted them to send a tech, so they could have looked into the issue and determine if it was something they could fix. I figure this issue must be common enough, they've given up sending out techs. I had read one post online where someone had a similar issue and they thought it could be from a bad ribbon cable (not replaceable) or from a point where the ribbon cable connect to the boards ($15 part on eBay). I wasn't going to crack open the TV to test this, since it's under warranty, but I thought Panasonic might try that first.
post #14887 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
To make it work you'd need to invest in a power transformer (not just an adapter) and also a PAL/NTSC converter box. The results will not be as good as if you were just using a native PAL TV. When watching 24p content (blurays) the Pal/NTSC part isn't necessary though and everything will look the same. Sorry about that
Thank you very much mo

Does it make a difference if its an expensive transformer instead of the cheapest one I can find in ebay? and how can I judge witch one is right for a TV? I really love this set and I dont want anything to go *BOOM* in there :S I have blown things like that in the past

using a PAL/NTSC convertion will give judder to the image right? I guess there no way on fixing that what a shame

EDIT: also would flashing a European firmware in the tv enable pal? or is it hardware related?

Last edited by gosas; 08-21-2014 at 01:22 PM.
post #14888 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Liked: 12
When running screen wipe, a handful of pixels, 5-10, scattered throughout the newly lit area take a few milliseconds longer to light up than the rest of the vertical lit-up area. This is only noticeable up close. This will look like black dots at the end of the moving white rectangle.

Normal viewing seems fine, and this behavior is understandable since screen wipe probably takes up more power.

I just don't remember seeing this a few months ago, I've had it for a while. Does anybody else notice this? Is this a normal sign of aging? Status4 in Version info states its been on for a total of 6628hrs. I'm probably worrying about nothing, just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks.
post #14889 of 15677 Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldyBg View Post
When running screen wipe, a handful of pixels, 5-10, scattered throughout the newly lit area take a few milliseconds longer to light up than the rest of the vertical lit-up area. This is only noticeable up close. This will look like black dots at the end of the moving white rectangle.

Normal viewing seems fine, and this behavior is understandable since screen wipe probably takes up more power.

I just don't remember seeing this a few months ago, I've had it for a while. Does anybody else notice this? Is this a normal sign of aging? Status4 in Version info states its been on for a total of 6628hrs. I'm probably worrying about nothing, just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks.
That behavior sounds like mine. My tv has about 1200 hours on it. I think that it's normal.
post #14890 of 15677 Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldyBg View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
That behavior sounds like mine. My tv has about 1200 hours on it. I think that it's normal.
Yeah I see the black dots as well when running the screen wipe, I am at 900 hours.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #14891 of 15677 Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Most noticable on flesh tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by hazel_wu

I just got my 60VT60 not too long ago and was watching Insidious Chapter 2. At around 6:30 mark there is a panning shot of a woman walking through rooms. There are some white candles close to the camera. During the panning shot, I noticed right away that there are some rainbow, or wrong colors on the candles. The candles should be white, but during motion it has some green/red colors. It is seen on both 48hz and 96hz but never on 60hz. Motion smoother settings does not change the bad color effect. The bad colors fade right away when the camera stops panning. It is seen only during motion and only with 48hz and 96hz, but since it is not happening with 60hz I am sure it is not something wrong with the way the movie was compressed. I can not see the problem if I pause the movie during the panning either. On another movie, the same effect happened during a panning shot across the room on someone's face. It happens both from PC and my PS3 BD at 1080p/24 so I'm pretty sure it is the TV that is causing this.

Anyone else experienced something similar? I think I found one person reported something similar but no one ever replied to him.
Any settings that can fix this problem?

Yes, I experience that artifact - which is called false contouring - several times during any movie at 96hz which is why I avoid it and use 60hz exclusively. 96hz will also exhibit very subtle image flickering on some very bright scenes. 96hz will give slightly smoother panning in some scenes, but 60hz is still good and more robust.

I have this issue on mine though it shows itself mostly with movement of people. Its almost like the red/green/blue isn't synced up right

Any ideas? Switching between 96/60 hz doesn't do much

post #14892 of 15677 Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Using Panel Brightness Low

Anyone tried using panel rightness low with their VT60s? The one thing that gets to me with my 65VT60 is dithering probably because I only sit 9.5 feet away and can't move any further back (small living room ). I know overall brightness is a sacrifice in this scenario but I wanted to see if some of the more knowledgeable calibrators here have been able to get an acceptable sharp picture for dark night time viewing.

I'll definitely bring this up with D-Nice when he comes to calibrate my set which I hope will be very soon.....
post #14893 of 15677 Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I've had my VT60 for about 8 months now and the other night there was a click sound while I was watching the TV and the left four inches of the screen went black. I've tried changing the inputs, disconnecting the tv and reconnecting everything, and it just looks like those four inches are black.

I've called Panasonic and they informed me it must be a bad screen, but since the VT60's aren't made any longer, they don't have the parts to repair it. The only silver lining is they said they'll completely refund the TV for me, since it's under warranty. It's a shame though... I really loved this TV and the picture quality was amazing.

Oh well... time to find a new TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Man, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that. It's ashamed such a great TV at what was a very reasonable price is no longer being made.
Ask for a replacement....65" AX800U
post #14894 of 15677 Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Anyone tried using panel rightness low with their VT60s? The one thing that gets to me with my 65VT60 is dithering probably because I only sit 9.5 feet away and can't move any further back (small living room ). I know overall brightness is a sacrifice in this scenario but I wanted to see if some of the more knowledgeable calibrators here have been able to get an acceptable sharp picture for dark night time viewing.

I'll definitely bring this up with D-Nice when he comes to calibrate my set which I hope will be very soon.....
It sounds like a calibration and/or source issue as you're not going to see dithering from 9.5 feet back.

post #14895 of 15677 Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post
I have this issue on mine though it shows itself mostly with movement of people. Its almost like the red/green/blue isn't synced up right

Any ideas? Switching between 96/60 hz doesn't do much
The false contouring definitely doesn't happen at 60hz, so it sounds like it could be another issue. Do you see it on Blu-ray sources too?
mo949 likes this.

post #14896 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
...Also, is THX Cinema available when using Netflix? I'm only able to use Custom, Cinema, Prof1, Prof2, and Vivid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post
I don't think it's available for Netflix. I used either Home Theater or Cinema, I can't remember for sure.

I know for a fact you cannot choose THX Cinema! What puzzles (and annoys) me is why they have designed it like this. Why would you disable the best (non pro cal) setting in all the apps? It basically makes the internal Netflix app unusable, forcing you to use an external player/box. (Unless of course you go for a pro calibration $$$)

Can anybody explain this?
post #14897 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:

The other downside to low panel brightness is degraded blacks, definitely will reduce dithering guess it depends on whether the reduced light output and elevated mll are more important than the dithering.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey

Last edited by chunon; 08-25-2014 at 07:37 AM.
post #14898 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ooops...misread your post and see you mentioned low panel brightness...what Chunon said.

post #14899 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Would you guys have any concerns or reservations purchasing a VT60 with zero hours and no warranty coverage.
post #14900 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Would you guys have any concerns or reservations purchasing a VT60 with zero hours and no warranty coverage.
Depends on what you are paying ? Its a calculated risk but the odds are in your favor for the set lasting for a while. 4250 hours and going strong for me

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14901 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch666 View Post
I know for a fact you cannot choose THX Cinema! What puzzles (and annoys) me is why they have designed it like this. Why would you disable the best (non pro cal) setting in all the apps? It basically makes the internal Netflix app unusable, forcing you to use an external player/box. (Unless of course you go for a pro calibration $$$)

Another thing that puzzles me is the fact that there is no aspect ratio control with apps and streaming services... I watch a lot of old DOCTOR WHO episodes on Amazon Prime, and they are all 4:3, of course. There is no way to zoom in, stretch the image using "H Fill Mode", etc., and I'm always worried about IR in those cases, so I have to limit my viewing to 20 minute intervals or so. Really frustrating...
post #14902 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Thanks for the condolences on the issues I've had with my VT60. I just received word from Panasonic that the shipping company will be picking up the TV in the new few days. As nice as Panasonic has been, I really wish they'd have tried to repair the TV. What people have said about having trouble finding an adequate replacement seems true. Though I have some cash to get a new TV, I don't think I'm going to find anything as good in that price range (~$2000).

Right now, I'm looking at the Samsung 64" F8500 as a possibility, if I can find a good deal over the next few months (currently out of my price range). If anyone has any other recommendations for ~65" tv (plasma/lcd/led), I'm all ears. Feel free to PM me. As much as I love researching stuff, I was completely happy with the VT60, so kind of frustrated. Thanks!
If you are OK with no smart features, no AR filter, and pentile screen, the 64H5000 can be had for around $1000. It's blacks are lower than the F8500, and you'd save $1000 that you could put towards an OLED in a couple years.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/pn64h...1403143657.htm
http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...asma-tv-review
post #14903 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
If you are OK with no smart features, no AR filter, and pentile screen, the 64H5000 can be had for around $1000. It's blacks are lower than the F8500, and you'd save $1000 that you could put towards an OLED in a couple years.
Where can you find this set for around $1K?
post #14904 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/pn64h...1403143657.htm
http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...asma-tv-review
That's a definite possibility. I really can't afford the extra $800-$1000 a F8500 would cost me. So instead of going high end, get something reasonable right now that look towards an OLED down the line.

Upon my suggestion for a replacement panel, Panasonic did mention they were going to see if they could locate a ST60 as a replacement. As long as they credit the difference in cost between the ST to VT, I'd be willing to make the downgrade. I should know later today or tomorrow if they can make that happen.
post #14905 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosas View Post
Thank you very much mo

Does it make a difference if its an expensive transformer instead of the cheapest one I can find in ebay? and how can I judge witch one is right for a TV? I really love this set and I dont want anything to go *BOOM* in there :S I have blown things like that in the past

using a PAL/NTSC convertion will give judder to the image right? I guess there no way on fixing that what a shame

EDIT: also would flashing a European firmware in the tv enable pal? or is it hardware related?
In the transformer department I don't really know enough to really comment. The electricity stability from one country to the next can be spotty and the voltages can vary a lot throughout the day, so I guess you'd need a transformer that is more likely to handle where you'll be better.

The conversion will add Judder just like you suspect - how visible it is to you is of course dependent on how sensitive you are to judder in the first place.

Firmware should theoretically be able to make it work since we know that the display components are physically capable of 50hz, but I don't think the EU software will be compatible with the US set since the components are different and the firmware deals with more than just the display refresh.

If you can try it on the cheap, might as well give it a shot.

I wish you luck!
post #14906 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Since the hours can be reset to zero, I would suspect the owner's story unless there was a way to verify it. Without more detailed information it's hard to say how suspicious it is.
post #14907 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch666 View Post

If the streaming application takes control, then you would have to make your choices before you run the application. Have you tried that?
post #14908 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Since the hours can be reset to zero, I would suspect the owner's story unless there was a way to verify it. Without more detailed information it's hard to say how suspicious it is.
Are resetting the hours a simple task? Can they be easily confirmed?
post #14909 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

Your problem isn't with low, mid panel brightness. Its in how you have adjusted your contrast, brightness and sharpness controls. Of-course this is saying what you are seeing is not caused by your source player/material.

For now use one of the THX modes.
Download the free AVS HD 709 calibration disc or better still Ted's calibration disc.
Run the Brightness flashing pattern, using your brightness control set your brightness in a dark room, seeing no more than the 18 flashing bar (17 bar almost, if not gone completely).
Use the flashing contrast pattern. Adjust your contrast control to at-least seeing the 242 or higher flashing pattern.
With both the contrast and brightness patterns you should only see different shades of gray.
Set sharpness to 0.

Its also best to disable any enhancements. If you are using a Darbee, turn it down and see if that helps.

When D-Nice comes out, he will set your grayscale, gamma, rgb balance, gamut/CMS, ect.

I sit between 8 and 9 feet from my 65VT60, I see no problems at all. At night all the lights are off and I can view for hours with no eye fatigue. My peak white is about 35FL and black level is about 0.0013FL, therefore contrast ratio is very good. That's what make's the picture really pop, if the player/material is well mastered.

ss
Chere and ConnecTEDDD like this.
post #14910 of 15677 Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone know where or if there is a calibration settings thread for the vt60?? I could of swore there used to be one?

Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page