Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 497 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14881 of 14890 Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Nothing will provide 100% protection against a lightning strike. However, installing a surge protection device at the meter ($190), installing a whole house surge protection in the panel ($250) and using individual surge protection on electronics will get you almost there. I used all three when I lived in Central Florida and never had damage when these devices where installed. And I had strikes in my yard. Haven't installed the same type equipment here in Texas. But I do have a whole house surge which I recently purchases and will be installed before next spring's storms. All of my electronics are on a surge at the wall.

If you carry a high insurance deductible as I do, worth the investment.
I agree, but even with your suggested installation, I would disconnect any time that there was a chance that lightning was flitting about.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14882 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
It's incredible and extremely concerning that they no longer have parts to fix these TV's. Even if they offer a full refund, what are you going to buy with that money? Nothing comes close to the VT60 that's currently on sale, except for the F8500, and that one is hard to find and not cheap and comes with its own set of issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
The F8500 is far from hard to find and is reasonably priced.
Quote:
Let's not go there, please. I vastly prefer the VT60, for many other reasons besides picture quality (better audio, 65 vs. 64", aesthetics, etc). I have no intentions to start yet another VT vs F8500 debate. The point in my previous post is clear, I'd like to think. By the way, I would appreciate any feedback regarding the issue described in that post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I WANT MORE wasn't starting a debate. It was you in fact that stated the F8500 was hard to find and not cheap. He just responded correcting your misinformation. You jumped the gun pretty far.
Quote:
And here I was thinking that posting in this thread again after a few bad apples ruined it for me in the past was smart... In fact, the level of aggression and childishness on these pages is off the chart. I "jumped the gun pretty far"? Please! I simply pointed out that the F8500 is hard to find (in my area, it is... and I do not want to buy online in this case, so Amazon it's out of the question) and expensive (compared to what I paid for my VT60 and am willing to pay for yet another TV that may or may not disappoint, and specially since similarly-priced 65" OLEDs seem to be a matter of 1 or 2 years away, it IS expensive TO ME). I'm happy to be corrected, but in this case I see no misinformation on my part. What I see is a bunch of folks for whom this or that set (VT60, F8500, or what have you) can do no harm. Sometimes I think that joining this place was the worst mistake I have ever done when it comes to my love of movies. I used to love simply watching movies, you know? Seems almost impossible to do that now without obsessing over black levels, floating blacks, quality control issues, lack of spare parts, rising blacks (I owned a V10 in the past), etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Please don't start anything here you don't own a vt60 I remember your shenanigans from a few years back in the st50 threads. He was just pointing out he doesnt like the 8500 that is his right .
Haven't been on here in a while but did people just forget how to read? The guy said the F8500 was hard to find, someone responded no it isn't. How does anyone interpret that to mean one TV is better then another. He was simply addressing a statement that was false. Just because someone doesn't want to order a TV online does not mean it is hard to find.

If Amazon has stock it does not get any easier to find then that. You do not even need to leave your couch! If you don't want to order online, then the correct statement would have been you cannot seem to find the TV locally. No one can argue with that unless they live in your neighborhood.

How anyone pulled one TV is better then the other out of this has got me. Maybe my reading comprehension skills are getting worse as I get older.
HLdan likes this.
post #14883 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake518 View Post
I've had my VT60 for about 8 months now and the other night there was a click sound while I was watching the TV and the left four inches of the screen went black. I've tried changing the inputs, disconnecting the tv and reconnecting everything, and it just looks like those four inches are black.

I've called Panasonic and they informed me it must be a bad screen, but since the VT60's aren't made any longer, they don't have the parts to repair it. The only silver lining is they said they'll completely refund the TV for me, since it's under warranty. It's a shame though... I really loved this TV and the picture quality was amazing.

Oh well... time to find a new TV
So did they just take your word for it or are they sending a tech to look at the TV first before issuing a refund? Is someone going to come and pickup the TV if they are just taking your word for it?
post #14884 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there folks :-) How you all been doing? I hope great!

May I ask you guys, I brought my 60vt60 with me when a moved from US back to Greece a few days ago, now I read that the us model is set to 120V AC, 60Hz :-( I was hopping it would handle 240v 50hz that we use here in Greece what do you guys recoment I should do? also greece uses pal 2 system will the tv support that or it only supports ntsc ? please help me
post #14885 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 355
To make it work you'd need to invest in a power transformer (not just an adapter) and also a PAL/NTSC converter box. The results will not be as good as if you were just using a native PAL TV. When watching 24p content (blurays) the Pal/NTSC part isn't necessary though and everything will look the same. Sorry about that
gosas likes this.
post #14886 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
So did they just take your word for it or are they sending a tech to look at the TV first before issuing a refund? Is someone going to come and pickup the TV if they are just taking your word for it?
They did just take my word for it... that's what I thought was a little strange. I kind of wanted them to send a tech, so they could have looked into the issue and determine if it was something they could fix. I figure this issue must be common enough, they've given up sending out techs. I had read one post online where someone had a similar issue and they thought it could be from a bad ribbon cable (not replaceable) or from a point where the ribbon cable connect to the boards ($15 part on eBay). I wasn't going to crack open the TV to test this, since it's under warranty, but I thought Panasonic might try that first.
post #14887 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
To make it work you'd need to invest in a power transformer (not just an adapter) and also a PAL/NTSC converter box. The results will not be as good as if you were just using a native PAL TV. When watching 24p content (blurays) the Pal/NTSC part isn't necessary though and everything will look the same. Sorry about that
Thank you very much mo

Does it make a difference if its an expensive transformer instead of the cheapest one I can find in ebay? and how can I judge witch one is right for a TV? I really love this set and I dont want anything to go *BOOM* in there :S I have blown things like that in the past

using a PAL/NTSC convertion will give judder to the image right? I guess there no way on fixing that what a shame

EDIT: also would flashing a European firmware in the tv enable pal? or is it hardware related?

Last edited by gosas; Yesterday at 12:22 PM.
post #14888 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When running screen wipe, a handful of pixels, 5-10, scattered throughout the newly lit area take a few milliseconds longer to light up than the rest of the vertical lit-up area. This is only noticeable up close. This will look like black dots at the end of the moving white rectangle.

Normal viewing seems fine, and this behavior is understandable since screen wipe probably takes up more power.

I just don't remember seeing this a few months ago, I've had it for a while. Does anybody else notice this? Is this a normal sign of aging? Status4 in Version info states its been on for a total of 6628hrs. I'm probably worrying about nothing, just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks.
post #14889 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldyBg View Post
When running screen wipe, a handful of pixels, 5-10, scattered throughout the newly lit area take a few milliseconds longer to light up than the rest of the vertical lit-up area. This is only noticeable up close. This will look like black dots at the end of the moving white rectangle.

Normal viewing seems fine, and this behavior is understandable since screen wipe probably takes up more power.

I just don't remember seeing this a few months ago, I've had it for a while. Does anybody else notice this? Is this a normal sign of aging? Status4 in Version info states its been on for a total of 6628hrs. I'm probably worrying about nothing, just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks.
That behavior sounds like mine. My tv has about 1200 hours on it. I think that it's normal.
post #14890 of 14890 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldyBg View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
That behavior sounds like mine. My tv has about 1200 hours on it. I think that it's normal.
Yeah I see the black dots as well when running the screen wipe, I am at 900 hours.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page