Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 498 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14911 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If the streaming application takes control, then you would have to make your choices before you run the application. Have you tried that?

As far as I can tell (= 99.9% sure) pre-selecting THX cinema, and then switching to the application doesn't make a difference. As soon as the app is launched the picture setting is changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14912 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Are resetting the hours a simple task? Can they be easily confirmed?
I don't own a VT60 but I suspect that it's easy to do. No matter what the price or hours, it's going to be up to you to decide if you can afford to take a total loss on the set. If the owner bought the set from a dealer he will have a receipt giving the price, date of purchase, and if it's a new set with full warranty. Many demo sets are sold with full warranties too. I'm not sure about opened box sets that have been returned.

Panasonic doesn't seem to have any replacement panels for their 2013 models, but they have been refunding the purchase price. One big worry is that the owner has found what he thinks is a micro crack in the screen that a buyer might not spot. Tiny cracks grow bigger and when they get big enough the panel dies.

The combination of no warranty and zero hours doesn't make sense to me.
post #14913 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I don't own a VT60 but I suspect that it's easy to do. No matter what the price or hours, it's going to be up to you to decide if you can afford to take a total loss on the set. If the owner bought the set from a dealer he will have a receipt giving the price, date of purchase, and if it's a new set with full warranty. Many demo sets are sold with full warranties too. I'm not sure about opened box sets that have been returned.

Panasonic doesn't seem to have any replacement panels for their 2013 models, but they have been refunding the purchase price. One big worry is that the owner has found what he thinks is a micro crack in the screen that a buyer might not spot. Tiny cracks grow bigger and when they get big enough the panel dies.

The combination of no warranty and zero hours doesn't make sense to me.
The set would still be under warranty to the current owner, but Panasonic's warranty would not transfer to a new owner, and the current owner did not purchase a transferable extended warranty. I just wanted to clarify that the no warranty situation would apply to whoever purchases the set. I believe he is selling due to an uncontrollable lighting situation in the house.

I understand the total loss risk.
post #14914 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Your problem isn't with low, mid panel brightness. Its in how you have adjusted your contrast, brightness and sharpness controls. Of-course this is saying what you are seeing is not caused by your source player/material.

For now use one of the THX modes.
Download the free AVS HD 709 calibration disc or better still Ted's calibration disc.
Even using only a calibration disk needs some basic knowledge of the display controls etc. and the purpose of using them.

Can we say that by using a calibration disk only that a display is calibrated? No, this requires meter/software/knowledge, but can improve a lot the factory default settings and it’s better solution from copying display settings from web.

We can say that using a calibration disk without having meter/software you can do plenty of things, for example using Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk:

1. Display a Brightness Pattern to set the Black Level (Brightness Control) of the Display; to prevent crushing of shadow details or raised black levels.

2. Display a Contrast Pattern to set the White Level (Contrast Control) of the Display; to prevent color detail clipping up to peak white levels and above reference white level color shifts/discoloration. The limitation to this is that you don’t know you peak output without a meter/software to measure the 100% White patch.

3. Use Sharpness Pattern to prevent edge enhancement (halo/ringing effect) or soft contouring (blurring of the image details).

You can check using that Sharpness Pattern some display settings like: Reality Creation, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Dot Noise Reduction, Noise Filtering, Detail Enhancer, Edge Enhancer, Super Resolution, Digital Clear View to see how they are affecting your image resolution.

4. Use Color Clipping Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel (RGB), this sometimes can be fixed be removing some clicks from the contrast control also.

You can check display settings like Live Color, Dynamic Color or Color Enhancer etc.

5. Display a Grayscale Ramp Pattern and find by swapping thru the available color temperature modes (normal/warm1/warm2 etc) of your display; which looks more neutral to your eyes. (It's guessing by the user selection), but Don’t try to fix the RGB Balance based to your eyes and tweak the RGB-High/Low Controls without meter/software.

6. Display a Grayscale Full Step Pattern and check your various enhancements controls of your display; Advance Contrast, Black Tone, Black Correction, Advanced Contrast Enhancer, Auto Light Limiter, Clear White, Dynamic Contrast, Cinema Black, Smooth Gradationetc. to have a better view of the problems they introducing and to realize why you need to leave them untouched to prevent new problems. (no smooth color graduations, distortions, discoloration, clipping, banding, posterization, crushed shadow details, raised black levels etc.)

7. Display a convergence pattern to find which mode of your TV provides you the 1:1 Pixel Mapping, to be able to view the correct full 1920x1080 pixel resolution of your display.

We can say that by using only a calibration disk we can’t meet the REC.709 standards, this requires meter/software, but it will be a good improvement for a small amount of money or by downloading a free one from web.

Also is an introduction to what a display calibration can do, the user maybe be interested to buy meter/software to do DIY or hire a pro for this job.

But by using only a Calibration Disk you can't set your peak light output, perform RGB Balance of your grayscale, calibrate your Primary/Secondary Colors (Hue/Saturation/Lightness), fix your gamma levels etc. for REC.709 without a meter/software...... but for sure you can improve your image in case you do the above steps with the correct way.

There available a lot of videos online to help for the first steps any newcomer to calibration world.

For a starters it's better idea to get the free AVSHD with the video examples or the Disney WOW where it features a lot of video examples too before moving to a more complex/advanced disk like Spears & Munsil or Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk.

I recommend Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk to enthusiasts or those who are coming from other calibration disks. Experienced users will understand better the value of that disk and the the purpose and what to look for by viewing the 152 Color Reproduction Patterns, to evaluate visually any 1D/3D LUT display/projector.

For a starters it's better idea to get the free AVSHD with the video examples or the Disney WOW where it features a lot of video examples too.

But you can find some basic patterns to pre-calibrate your display by free downloading theTed's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk (Free Version) which is a 'lite' version of the Full Version. This required a black Blu-Ray Disk to burn it). by downloading the Free and popular AVSHD Disk you can burn it using blank DVD disk at AVCHD format which is compatible with blu-ray players.
sillysally, Iron Mike and fluxo like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #14915 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
Does anyone know where or if there is a calibration settings thread for the vt60?? I could of swore there used to be one?
I think you're looking for this:

2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread
post #14916 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thank you kind sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
I think you're looking for this:

2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Panasonic GT50 50"
Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
Samsung F8500 60"
(and a few crappy lcd sets). lol
post #14917 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 383
No thread; settings are within this one, then you have CNET, DNice, Silly Sally's, and others. Try using the AVS search function, it works pretty well especially if you are willing to use a few different key words before giving up.
post #14918 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
The false contouring definitely doesn't happen at 60hz, so it sounds like it could be another issue. Do you see it on Blu-ray sources too?

So I don't have bluray, i rip all to ISOs (no compression) and play on my PopcornHour A-400 from my NAS.

Seems motion and this effect is worse on popcornhour than my XBOX One.

On my XBOX I mostly watch Netflix, hulu and play games. Motion seems better but not what I thought it would be.

I now have 500 hours on this set and its not any better than the day i bought it. I should have tried returning it

I had an older, lower end, Panasonic plasma before this one as well and motion was not an issue.

Everything goes directly through my Yamaha RX-A2020 as it did before with no issues....

Its like the different colors are not in sync. Is that even possible?

Now my girlfriend of course doesn't notice and is amazed by the picture, but I can see it. (I want to un-see it so bad!) I'm sure this is the case with most of us in this forum when we notice a visual anomaly!

post #14919 of 14920 Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Even using only a calibration disk needs some basic knowledge of the display controls etc. and the purpose of using them.

Can we say that by using a calibration disk only that a display is calibrated? No, this requires meter/software/knowledge, but can improve a lot the factory default settings and it’s better solution from copying display settings from web.

We can say that using a calibration disk without having meter/software you can do plenty of things, for example using
Yes Ted, that's why I said "better yet get Ted's disc.

ss
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #14920 of 14920 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 370
meathead I think you are seeing phosphor trails. If your set is new for some reason it is more likely you will see them. They will go away if so - or at least go away to the point where you will really have to try very hard to see them again. When you get closer to 2000 hrs the set seems to behave a bit differently (for the better) on these pannys.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page