Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 502 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15031 of 15677 Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
That's BS. No way to fix burn-in unless you replace the panel. Get the Wow disc and see if it fades. Although I don't game, if I did I'd find a cheap LCD for gaming and save my ZT/VT for regular TV. I plan to keep my ZT for a long time.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 15677 Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
That's BS. No way to fix burn-in unless you replace the panel. Get the Wow disc and see if it fades. Although I don't game, if I did I'd find a cheap LCD for gaming and save my ZT/VT for regular TV. I plan to keep my ZT for a long time.

Good luck.
That's kind of what I figured. To open my TV up and replace anything means they're essentially destroying a new TV to get the parts haha.

I've been running the pixel thing for about 2 days and the slides also and no change at all.

A huge bummer as this TV has been perfect until lately.

Can anyone answer this for me?

I had a fire at my house around 4 months ago. The TV wasn't damaged at all and had no smoke damage done to it. I only pulled that TV out of the basement about 3 weeks ago. Is it possible being off for 4 months reset the break in period thus causing my now current burn in issues?

I'm curious if being off so long is the issue here. Off basically from May 2nd until August 30th.
post #15033 of 15677 Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post
That's kind of what I figured. To open my TV up and replace anything means they're essentially destroying a new TV to get the parts haha.

I've been running the pixel thing for about 2 days and the slides also and no change at all.

A huge bummer as this TV has been perfect until lately.

Can anyone answer this for me?

I had a fire at my house around 4 months ago. The TV wasn't damaged at all and had no smoke damage done to it. I only pulled that TV out of the basement about 3 weeks ago. Is it possible being off for 4 months reset the break in period thus causing my now current burn in issues?

I'm curious if being off so long is the issue here. Off basically from May 2nd until August 30th.
I wouldn't think so. Probably had the problem all the time but you never noticed. Forum members have complain about a particular video game or TV channels. I read of frequent complaints about NetFlix, Speed channel, E channel and HGTV.

Try the Wow disc. That seems to be the key when it comes to IR. It will likely go away with time. Burn-in is not that common.
post #15034 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
That's why I always run a screen saver anytime I have to pause Netflix or any channel that has a logo and so far I have had no burn-in. Keep in mind I rarely ever watch broadcasted channels so coming across logos are rare for me. 99% of my viewing is blu ray, Netflix, mkv files.. ect.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD

Last edited by Famouss; 09-26-2014 at 04:27 AM.
post #15035 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post
That's why I always run a screen saver anytime I have to pause Netflix or any channel that has a logo and so far I have had no burn-in. Keep in mind I rarely ever watch broadcasted channels so coming across logos are rare for me. 99% of my viewing is blu ray, Netflix, mkv files.. ect.
The problem is I can't run a screen saver when I'm playing a game.

Logos that stay on TV channels and still images for games for the last year have given me zero problems. I'm very good at noticing things so I know they didn't just hide on me until this week.

Destiny came out about 4 weeks ago and it is the only image burned into my TV.

GTA has a HUD that does not move and I sank probably double the time into that game and there's no image burn from that game. This is where I'm confused a bit about why the Destiny one did burn in. Here's a link to the HUD from Destiny that never moves. Bottom left the image of the gun and ammo etc.

http://teambeyond.net/wp-content/upl...Destiny_32.jpg

The local TV repair place is coming today so we'll see what he actually diagnoses it as.
post #15036 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 581
^ OUCH. I knew there was a reason I never game on my out of production plasma. Best of luck.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #15037 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
I've had the TV since October of last year. If I say I use it an average of 2 hours a day "low" and do 7 days a week for around 365 I'd say I've got over 730 hours on it in a year.

This is the first time I've noticed burn in on the TV since I purchased it "Stupid Destiny HUD"

What shocks me is I purchased an extended warranty on this TV from Future Shop and just for kicks called to see if this was covered and amazingly enough they cover image retention and burn in.

They claim they'd fix the TV which if Burn In would be impossible to do in one visit. If they can't fix it they said I'd get a TV swapped out for a new one which sort of sucks since they don't make my model anymore. It appears that the ZT model is all Future Shop carries now and they're all sold out.

I'm kind of scared of Plasma now as I thought burn in was done and a thing of the past. LED I find to be jerky and horrible for sports and fast games and LCD I always found had horrible motion blur for FPS games or GTA style ones.

Does anyone here know if a Plasma can actually have the insides fixed to fix this type of burn in problem? Or is it likely I'll just end up with a new model of something?
They cannot fix it. It would need a panel which isn't going to happen.
post #15038 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had my VT60 since the beginning of the year and have been thoroughly enjoying it, all sorts of content, no image retention issues. Lately, I suspect someone fell asleep with the TV on after playing a round of Mario Kart Wii and now I have a darker area around the outer 5% of the screen, thanks to the Wii's underscan. This was a few weeks ago, and it's slowly going away, so I'm not really concerned about any permanent damage. I am wondering if this might have thrown off my color balance in the interim, though.

I've been using the THX cinema mode with a few modifications, like cranking the contrast up to around 80. This always looked good to me, but recently, I've been seeing pink and green banding in skin tones. It could simply be that I'm hypersensitive since this Wii-induced "burn." Can broad-area image retention like this throw off color balance?
post #15039 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Destiny came out about 4 weeks ago and it is the only image burned into my TV.
Two thoughts, play shorter stretches. That and tune the brightness down inside the game. There's a setting for it.

I've played several 3 hour stretches of Destiny and seen no ill-effects on my VT60. That said, I also got the digital download for the 360 and have used that a few times too. That's on a crappy old 42" LG LCD that I don't care about (salvaged from neighbor, had bad capacitors). The gameplay is pretty much the same, but the graphics are notably better on the Xbox One (especially the video cut scenes).
post #15040 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 63
For folks running into the chance of overnight burn-in, there's a setting for automatic turn off in the TV. I've mine set for 2am.
post #15041 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangs View Post
I've had my VT60 since the beginning of the year and have been thoroughly enjoying it, all sorts of content, no image retention issues. Lately, I suspect someone fell asleep with the TV on after playing a round of Mario Kart Wii and now I have a darker area around the outer 5% of the screen, thanks to the Wii's underscan. This was a few weeks ago, and it's slowly going away, so I'm not really concerned about any permanent damage. I am wondering if this might have thrown off my color balance in the interim, though.

I've been using the THX cinema mode with a few modifications, like cranking the contrast up to around 80. This always looked good to me, but recently, I've been seeing pink and green banding in skin tones. It could simply be that I'm hypersensitive since this Wii-induced "burn." Can broad-area image retention like this throw off color balance?
No it shouldn't unless you've added a lot of hours to the panel falling asleep with it on causing a color shift, which happens to nearly every panel over time. Mine was calibrated at around 500 hours, with DNice recommending a recheck at 2000 hours. I haven't checked panel hours in a while because I've been so happy with the picture even with a little fan noise (I have yet to do that) plus I've upgraded my speakers, bought an Atmos ready receiver and another sub - don't tell my wife
So I need to recover before spending $ on a re-cal.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #15042 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 PM

So the TV guy came and as predicted said there's not much that can be done. Looks like I'll be getting an upgrade or replacement to another TV of equal size and features.

Sadly the 60" ZT models are gone everywhere and not something that can be ordered.

The guy at the store said that LG Plasma's are basically the worst on the market and the Samsung's are still nice TV's.

My question is this, would this TV be an upgrade over my current Plasma in which it wouldn't have horrible screen lag when playing games or watching fast moving movies/sports. I could care less about 4K as it's something that won't be big for several years. I don't think the PS4 or XBOX One even work with 4K so it's not a big thing. The guy at Future Shop just said that TV looked the best next to Plasma's without jerky movements.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id/10294666.aspx

The other consideration is this Samsung Plasma. The only problem being is the comparison to the quality of the VT60 and potential screen burn in as well.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ...cb3cda016een02

Any advice from people who game or watch sports on LED's or 4K's would be welcomed.
post #15043 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 46
hi guys, i need youre help. one of my local store has the VT60 model, but its the store display and it doesnt have the stand and the glasses anymore, and i dont know how many hours on it. and they gave me a quote for $1350 with 5 years warranty for the TV. do you think it is good price for a discontinued model? and also what are the areas that i need to check on the TV if everything is working fine? thanks again and i appreciate ur help.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #15044 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
hi guys, i need youre help. one of my local store has the VT60 model, but its the store display and it doesnt have the stand and the glasses anymore, and i dont know how many hours on it. and they gave me a quote for $1350 with 5 years warranty for the TV. do you think it is good price for a discontinued model? and also what are the areas that i need to check on the TV if everything is working fine? thanks again and i appreciate ur help.
What size VT60 is it? You need to bring colored slides on a USB stick to check for burn in. That should really be the main concern.
caloyzki likes this.
post #15045 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
What size VT60 is it? You need to bring colored slides on a USB stick to check for burn in. That should really be the main concern.
im sorry. its 60" tv. where i can get those colored slides? how i am gonna know during the slides if everything is okay or not okay? anything else to be concerned? thanks again.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #15046 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the TV guy came and as predicted said there's not much that can be done. Looks like I'll be getting an upgrade or replacement to another TV of equal size and features.

Sadly the 60" ZT models are gone everywhere and not something that can be ordered.

The guy at the store said that LG Plasma's are basically the worst on the market and the Samsung's are still nice TV's.

My question is this, would this TV be an upgrade over my current Plasma in which it wouldn't have horrible screen lag when playing games or watching fast moving movies/sports. I could care less about 4K as it's something that won't be big for several years. I don't think the PS4 or XBOX One even work with 4K so it's not a big thing. The guy at Future Shop just said that TV looked the best next to Plasma's without jerky movements.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id/10294666.aspx

The other consideration is this Samsung Plasma. The only problem being is the comparison to the quality of the VT60 and potential screen burn in as well.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ...cb3cda016een02

Any advice from people who game or watch sports on LED's or 4K's would be welcomed.
If you are concerned about PQ the F8500 is really the only thing closest to the VT60. The only advantage the LED will have is you will not have to worry about burn in but I know a lot of people game on their Samsung plasma without a problem. You just need to be smart about it.

Also, where you sit and where you TV is placed is very important when going with an LED. Not something you have to think about with a plasma. An LED will lose contrast and color as you move away from the center of the screen and out towards the sides.

As someone who just picked up Vizio's 70" 4K Full Array LED to see if I would like it, I will tell you nothing comes close to a plasma, especially the VT60. It is amazing how good the picture picture is on this TV. I played a flower video on Netflix in 4K on the P series and they also had it available in 1080p which I played on the VT60 and even with the lower resolution the picture on the VT60 just looked better. From the colors, to the saturation, to the blacks and the picture just has this depth and fullness that cannot be captured on pretty much any LED out right now.

The only TV that can accomplish this would be the F8500.

As far as off angle viewing, no matter how good the picture would have been on the P series it would have been impossible for me to keep and enjoy it. I do not want to have to sit in 1 seat, dead center every time I want to watch a TV in my living room. I like to move around, play with my kid, see the TV from my dining room and that picture needs to look good wherever I am sitting or standing.

Of course this is just how I feel today, tomorrow I might feel differently. I really think your seating location needs to be evaluated first and if you are ok with the picture shifting for the worst when you move. If that is fine with you I would then start to consider the LED, if that is something you can't live with don't bother then.
post #15047 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
im sorry. its 60" tv. where i can get those colored slides? how i am gonna know during the slides if everything is okay or not okay? anything else to be concerned? thanks again.
Go to the main Plasma screen here and look for the paperclip on the VT60 thread. Near the end you will see "2013 Panel Prep Slides. Best to use them on a PC as a Mac will add a file to each jpg.

When running the slides look for any dark/dead sub pixels on each slide and also look for any image retention from logos/info bars ect.
caloyzki likes this.
post #15048 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Panasonic settings section I believe have them. Otherwise just google plasma break in slides. They are just different color slides to play on your TV.

If the panel looks good there really isn't much else to check out. If the TV has 1,000 hours or 3,000 hours it won't really make a difference. You will have a warranty and a TV can go bad at 10 hours or 50,000 hours. No one can tell you that.

You can check the screen for scratches or cracks. Like physical things like that.

I would haggle with the price though. I am sure at this point they are just looking to get rid of it. I would throw $999 out there to start. These TV's were selling for $1,499 when they were new. A year and a half old discontinued floor model TV should be discounted more then that. The warranty on a TV that price shouldn't factor in that much either so I say start at $999. Some folke here might even say offer less then that.
caloyzki likes this.

Last edited by eric3316; 09-26-2014 at 08:06 PM.
post #15049 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

wow. i thought its a good price i have there. $1350 including taxes display model not sure the hours, no glasses no stands, maybe if thats the case i will pass o it? im a big sports and movie blu ray fan. its hard to decide if its really worth it.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #15050 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Go to the main Plasma screen here and look for the paperclip on the VT60 thread. Near the end you will see "2013 Panel Prep Slides. Best to use them on a PC as a Mac will add a file to each jpg.

When running the slides look for any dark/dead sub pixels on each slide and also look for any image retention from logos/info bars ect.
hi, where i can find this? is there any link? thanks again.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #15051 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
wow. i thought its a good price i have there. $1350 including taxes display model not sure the hours, no glasses no stands, maybe if thats the case i will pass o it? im a big sports and movie blu ray fan. its hard to decide if its really worth it.
You're getting a 5 year warranty that's an extended one. If the TV has issues just return it and they'll have to upgrade you to a comparable one. It's win win.
caloyzki likes this.
post #15052 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're getting a 5 year warranty that's an extended one. If the TV has issues just return it and they'll have to upgrade you to a comparable one. It's win win.
There is no such thing as a comparable one in this market anymore... Everything else will just be a downgrade.
post #15053 of 15677 Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know why but I was thinking ST60 in my head. That is a better price for a VT60 but I would still see if they would drop the price a little.

The picture on the VT60 will be better then any other TV you can buy for thousands more. For sports, motion handling will best all the LEDs and with blu rays the picture will be stunning with some of the highest contrast levels every seen on a TV to date.
caloyzki likes this.
post #15054 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
hi, where i can find this? is there any link? thanks again.
Here's another link to the slides. Look in the first post.

2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Here's the 120 slides if you want. These will also work there's just more colors to go through.

plasma_break-in_v120.zip

Put either set or both on a USB flash drive and plug them into the tv's port.
caloyzki likes this.

Last edited by whipit; 09-27-2014 at 04:25 AM.
post #15055 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

And to access the slides, make sure they have the remote and their is dedicated button on it for the USB.
caloyzki likes this.
post #15056 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's the 120 slides if you want. These will also work there's just more colors to go through.

Attachment 282106

thanks. also should i also turn it off what it says on the first page before running the slides? or just stick it and thats it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
And to access the slides, make sure they have the remote and their is dedicated button on it for the USB.
this tv comes with 2 remotes right? just wanted to make it sure, so that they will give me 2 remotes. and i read that it has a built in camera, what is the use for that? for skype?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #15057 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks. also should i also turn it off what it says on the first page before running the slides? or just stick it and thats it?

this tv comes with 2 remotes right? just wanted to make it sure, so that they will give me 2 remotes. and i read that it has a built in camera, what is the use for that? for skype?
Don't worry about the settings for the slides. That is if you are using them to break in the panel.

There are 2 remotes. The 2nd touch remote is worthless. I have never used it.

The camera is used for Skype. I haven't found anything else that uses the camera.

If you want to check the hours. Menu.. Help.... Version... Status 4 is the hours on the TV after the letter C.
caloyzki likes this.

Last edited by eric3316; 09-27-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #15058 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Attachment 282106

Would running these slides over the weekend help with my IR assuming it is IR and not burn in?

I've been running the TV's built in side scroll thing and will be getting a Disney WOW disc on Monday in the mail to use. Until then I wanted to do all I could as I don't want a replacement TV I want to keep this one as it is beautiful.

Are there any other things I can download for IR assistance? The TV has likely 500 hours or more on it so it doesn't really need the break in anymore.
post #15059 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You should be able to access the hours from the menu. Open the Menu, go to Help, go to Version and the hours will be to the right of the letter in Status4.
post #15060 of 15677 Old 09-27-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Would running these slides over the weekend help with my IR assuming it is IR and not burn in?

I've been running the TV's built in side scroll thing and will be getting a Disney WOW disc on Monday in the mail to use. Until then I wanted to do all I could as I don't want a replacement TV I want to keep this one as it is beautiful.

Are there any other things I can download for IR assistance? The TV has likely 500 hours or more on it so it doesn't really need the break in anymore.
The colored slides really won't help anymore then running the screen wipe for now.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page