Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 508 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #15211 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
AutoBrightnessLimiter is the reason present on all plasmas to some extent, do you plan on watching slides or tv ?
So its normal? As long as its normal im not worried. This is the first time i owned plasma tv thats why im curious. There is no way we can turn that off or on?
Of course i want to watch tv!lol. Be nice sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Yes it is normal

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #15213 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey everyone, been running that Disney WOW dics and the TV's built in pixel thing and still no results.

I finally got confirmation from Future Shop that my TV is eligible for full replacement...sadly I just need to find a set that is worthy.

I'm curious if anyone has or seen in person this set. It's an OLED Curved TV and I'm just curious how it would compare to a VT60 as there don't seem to be any reviews out. What does sound awesome is the lack of motion stutter the OLED tech provides.

Any feedback of the below TV vs the VT60 would be awesome.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10292478.aspx
post #15214 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
Hi guys. How come when i put the color slides from dnice to my vt60 the plain white is not that really white, its like greyish white. Not compare to my led tv the white is really white. Is that how it is with vt60 plasma?just wondering.
Could be your settings. Note that I was using THX Cinema and when I had my display calibrated the white color took on a completely different look. Much brighter and a pure white.

I'll also say that measured contrast went from the 15,000 range in THX Cinema to 23,000 range after calibration. Looked a ton brights sharper and much more natural colors and skin tones too. The change in white was one of the more impressive things.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

Last edited by ChrisFB; 10-07-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #15215 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post
Hey everyone, been running that Disney WOW dics and the TV's built in pixel thing and still no results.

I finally got confirmation from Future Shop that my TV is eligible for full replacement...sadly I just need to find a set that is worthy.

I'm curious if anyone has or seen in person this set. It's an OLED Curved TV and I'm just curious how it would compare to a VT60 as there don't seem to be any reviews out. What does sound awesome is the lack of motion stutter the OLED tech provides.

I was at Best Buy about an hour ago and had a chance to check out the other LG OLED model (55EC9300). They didn't have the 9800 model available from what I could see, but I didn't ask either. With that said, the 9300 is a thing of beauty. You have to see it to believe it. They also had a 60" Samsung F8500 on the showroom floor about 6 ft. away from the LG OLED and while the Sammy looked awesome, the LG just looked better in my opinion. I can't really pinpoint the exact words to describe why, but it's just something you have to experience with your own eyes. I also have no experience with VT/ZT Panny's since I've never seen one up close, so I can't give a fair comparative assessment between the Panny's and LG OLED. But Dave Katzmaier of CNET had this to say:

And about that picture quality. Last year I called the Panasonic ZT60 plasma TV "the best-performing TV we've ever reviewed." That's no longer the case, because the LG 55EC9300 is better. It reproduces darker blacks and brighter whites, for sumptuous images (and I don't say this lightly) you have to see to believe. LG bobbled the color accuracy and video processing somewhat, and yes, I wish it was flat, but none of those problems spoil OLED's supremacy. As long as I wasn't seated too far away, I'd rather watch an LG 55EC9300 than any plasma, any day of the week.

LINK: http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

Take it for what it's worth, but honestly I'd suggest you head down to Best Buy to view the OLED's firsthand. You really have to experience it to believe it.

Last edited by sumguy91; 10-07-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added link to OLED review
post #15216 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks for all the info!
post #15217 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
I was at Best Buy about an hour ago and had a chance to check out the other LG OLED model (55EC9300). They didn't have the 9800 model available from what I could see, but I didn't ask either. With that said, the 9300 is a thing of beauty. You have to see it to believe it. They also had a 60" Samsung F8500 on the showroom floor about 6 ft. away from the LG OLED and while the Sammy looked awesome, the LG just looked better in my opinion. I can't really pinpoint the exact words to describe why, but it's just something you have to experience with your own eyes. I also have no experience with VT/ZT Panny's since I've never seen one up close, so I can't give a fair comparative assessment between the Panny's and LG OLED. But Dave Katzmaier of CNET had this to say:

And about that picture quality. Last year I called the Panasonic ZT60 plasma TV "the best-performing TV we've ever reviewed." That's no longer the case, because the LG 55EC9300 is better. It reproduces darker blacks and brighter whites, for sumptuous images (and I don't say this lightly) you have to see to believe. LG bobbled the color accuracy and video processing somewhat, and yes, I wish it was flat, but none of those problems spoil OLED's supremacy. As long as I wasn't seated too far away, I'd rather watch an LG 55EC9300 than any plasma, any day of the week.

LINK: http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

Take it for what it's worth, but honestly I'd suggest you head down to Best Buy to view the OLED's firsthand. You really have to experience it to believe it.
The problem is it doesn't matter how beautiful the picture is if the TV can't handle gaming. I'm starting to read that many OLED sets have terrible input lag issues as well as screen judder issues with fast moving pictures.

Whatever TV I end up going with is going to be used 90% for gaming and I can notice the lag/judder as I've got good eyes.

My VT60 has been perfect with the exception of this stupid Destiny HUD issue it seems a ton of other people are having.

I'll just have to take a PS4 to Future Shop and try an OLED out to see just how bad the blur/input lag is.
post #15218 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post
Could be your settings. Note that I was using THX Cinema and when I had my display calibrated the white color took on a completely different look. Much brighter and a pure white.

I'll also say that measured contrast went from the 15,000 range in THX Cinema to 23,000 range after calibration. Looked a ton brights sharper and much more natural colors and skin tones too. The change in white was one of the more impressive things.
Im not really sure about that. As chunon stated. Its just normal grey white color with the white background. My vt is not pro. Calibrated. Thats maybe your white os really white because it was adjusted properly. Im just using dnice vt60 settings. And thats what ive noticed when i run the white color slide.
post #15219 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post

If you are returning a plasma because of image retention then a bleeding edge OLED is probably not for you. You should read the owners thread for the LG OLED model that you are thinking about. For a gamer, the high end LCD/LED sets are the best option at this time. At least you will have a better idea about the reliability that you are buying.
post #15220 of 15900 Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4k OLED just released the by LG EC9700 which will be far more superior. But its 3 times the price. I think i will hold off on that and stay with my VT
post #15221 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Im not really sure about that. As chunon stated. Its just normal grey white color with the white background. My vt is not pro. Calibrated. Thats maybe your white os really white because it was adjusted properly. Im just using dnice vt60 settings. And thats what ive noticed when i run the white color slide.

Full screen white is always going to be effected by ABL doesn't matter whether your set is calibrated or not, whites in other content will be improved by a calibration in most cases.

Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
post #15222 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy

My Screen is broken!!

After a move to a new house that went well a week ago, a shelf decided to fall, hit the floor then into the TV. The screen is shattered.

I spoke to the store where I bought it and I was told that parts for repair are no longer available, that I need to buy a new TV, of course the VT65 is no longer available. Does anyone know if this is true? It's less than a year old, obviously not a warrantied issue, but I can't believe parts are not available.

I've been trying to call Panasonic Canada for an answer, may as well write Santa Claus, phone support seems to be useless.

Thanks
post #15223 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favian View Post
My Screen is broken!!

After a move to a new house that went well a week ago, a shelf decided to fall, hit the floor then into the TV. The screen is shattered.

I spoke to the store where I bought it and I was told that parts for repair are no longer available, that I need to buy a new TV, of course the VT65 is no longer available. Does anyone know if this is true? It's less than a year old, obviously not a warrantied issue, but I can't believe parts are not available.

I've been trying to call Panasonic Canada for an answer, may as well write Santa Claus, phone support seems to be useless.

Thanks
It's shocking how horrible support is for these companies. Sony, Panasonic etc. You find yourself in an endless loop of wrong departments or with people who say they will call you back and never do. I wouldn't be surprised that there's no parts available. The only Panasonic Plasma I've been able to find new was a 60VT60 on Amazon.ca

Nobody has the VT's or ZT's in stock anywhere.
post #15224 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Considering they ended production in November of last year that is not all that surprising that they are not in stock. As far as parts go you are probably correct.

Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
post #15225 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If you are returning a plasma because of image retention then a bleeding edge OLED is probably not for you. You should read the owners thread for the LG OLED model that you are thinking about. For a gamer, the high end LCD/LED sets are the best option at this time. At least you will have a better idea about the reliability that you are buying.
Yeah, I read a bit of that thread yesterday. Everyone is hyping up how amazing the picture looks in the store etc and then real owners are saying quite a bit about the bleeding, burn in and gaming being terrible on them.

Pass for now. Hurry up Panasonic and make a beast of an LED that equals your last gen of plasmas.
post #15226 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
No. But the manual should note the size of screws you'll need to use. MY ZT is likely different from your VT.

If you can't find the correct length, just use spacers to reduce the length. I went longer since I have two speaker brackets attached to the screws and hanging from the mount. (One is for a sound bar and one for the center channel on my home theatre.) Test the screws first to make you have the correct thread pattern. HD or Lowes should have what you need, especially HD. But your mount probably came with a selection that may work. I usually snug the screw to the mount/TV then turn give it a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn on the wrench. You could also use some blue Loctite on the threads if worried they may back out.
Thanks, yes the Sanus mount came with several different size screws and spacers.

Is this the blue loctite that you're referring to?

Last edited by mbroadus; 10-08-2014 at 06:21 AM.
post #15227 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Screen is broken!!

Thanks
Oh man...I feel for you. If I had to buy something today, I would choose the Samsung PNF8500 plasma. And since they will no longer be produced after this year, I have no idea what else I would buy in the 60-65" size range.
post #15228 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Full screen white is always going to be effected by ABL doesn't matter whether your set is calibrated or not, whites in other content will be improved by a calibration in most cases.
Ah - I misinterpreted his post. I thought he had an issue with his whites in general and not only in full screen. Reading comprehension failure.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #15229 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post
Ah - I misinterpreted his post. I thought he had an issue with his whites in general and not only in full screen. Reading comprehension failure.

No biggie

Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
post #15230 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Oh man...I feel for you. If I had to buy something today, I would choose the Samsung PNF8500 plasma. And since they will no longer be produced after this year, I have no idea what else I would buy in the 60-65" size range.
I just spoke to an authorized repair dealer, he confirmed no spare parts, even it there were replacement screens he said it would be more expensive than a new TV.
So I've been looking at the PNF8500 or the Sony 4k LED 850B neither of which I'm very excited about. Ugh
post #15231 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Panels aside, are there any replacement parts for the VT's & ZT's.
post #15232 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just spoke to an authorized repair dealer, he confirmed no spare parts, even it there were replacement screens he said it would be more expensive than a new TV.
So I've been looking at the PNF8500 or the Sony 4k LED 850B neither of which I'm very excited about. Ugh
Agree but the 8500 did receive great reviews.
post #15233 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Screen is broken!!

Thanks
call panasonic. i called them last week regarding on replacing my panel because of burn in, rep told me that VT60 model are already discontinued tv, but she said it doesnt mean if its discontinued they no longer have the parts. so just give them a call. and also, i have a replacement panel scheduled from best buy geek squad this coming sept. 20th to replace my panel.
post #15234 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
call panasonic. i called them last week regarding on replacing my panel because of burn in, rep told me that VT60 model are already discontinued tv, but she said it doesnt mean if its discontinued they no longer have the parts. so just give them a call. and also, i have a replacement panel scheduled from best buy geek squad this coming sept. 20th to replace my panel.
Has Best Buy confirmed that they actually have a replacement panel?
post #15235 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Has Best Buy confirmed that they actually have a replacement panel?
They just only confirmed to me that they ordered the panel. And they gave me the scheduled date. To changed my panel.
post #15236 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
They just only confirmed to me that they ordered the panel. And they gave me the scheduled date. To changed my panel.
If that's under warranty I understand, but the repair shops I all called said buy a new TV, too costly.
post #15237 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It sounds like a positive that they were even able to place an order for the panel. Assuming you are located in the USA, I wonder what would be different about getting a panel in Canada.

Edit. I see you are in the Philippines.

Last edited by B T C; 10-08-2014 at 08:35 AM.
post #15238 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Agree but the 8500 did receive great reviews.
I know, and I considered it when I bought the Panny, but I just am not a fan of Samsung so that's why I'm considering this 4k LED Sony , gives me shivers just thinking about LED lol
post #15239 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I know, and I considered it when I bought the Panny, but I just am not a fan of Samsung so that's why I'm considering this 4k LED Sony , gives me shivers just thinking about LED lol
Did the repair shop you spoke with even bother to confirm whether they could get a replacement panel? I can't imagine a panel costing more than a brand new F8500.
post #15240 of 15900 Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Me too!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page