Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
robbyrockets 2453k .pdf file Well here is the promised reports, I got to say it looks fantastic for 200hrs.

Still have a bit of work too do on the 10ire area, and maybe a touch on the 20ire, but the results of this calibration are truly stunning.

Colors are deep and rich, beautifully saturated and just right.

A see a very clean picture with tons of pop and maybe a touch too bright for the bat cave but I'll gladly deal with what I'm seeing.

The depth is absolutely incredible in 2D, it almost has a 3 dimensional look too it.

And for those that are worried about whites not being white enough, they are absolutely snow cap white.

The picture has also taken on a sharper look too it, probably due too the calibration being so tight.

Again, it still isn't perfect, but too my eyes its a joy too look at.

One oddity though Ive found is that that the contrast maxes out at about 70 to 80 on my set.

The meter picked up no change of any kind from about 75 up too 100 on the contrast setting, might be something Panasonic has too look into.

As for the ChromaPure software, when doing the on/off contrast reading I got a black level reading of 0.001 and a white of 36.208 foot lamberts, with a final reading of 69,025, needless too say something isn't right with this portion of the software I'll pass this along to Tom.

Post any questions you might have, I'll answer them the best I can.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Best516.pdf (2.40 MB, 167 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
HD Guru's TC-P65ZT60 HDTV Review.

Looks like it probably is capable of being bright enough in Day Mode to suit the requirements of most people.

http://hdguru.com/panasonic-tc-p65zt60-hdtv-first-review/#more-10462

Excerpt.

"Using our Sencore window test pattern, the TC-P65ZT60 achieved 30.4 ft. lamberts brightness in the THX Cinema Mode and became our default. The THX Bright Room Mode measured 42.3 ft. lamberts, bright enough for almost day environments. The blacks (minimum illumination level) read .0011 ft. lamberts in either mode (this is so low it is scrapping the accuracy of our meter as well as requiring a very dark environment which meant covering up a number of equipment power on lights)"
post #1533 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post

Uhhh....I have to drive this thing to the store? Which means I'd have to rent a truck or SUV and have a friend spend part of his afternoon helping me with this? That can't be correct. Gonna call best buy later.
Please update, I'm curious how they treat you

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #1534 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets View Post

robbyrockets 2453k .pdf file Well here is the promised reports, I got to say it looks fantastic for 200hrs.

wow! your 'before' accuracy was incredible - was that out of the box?

Thanks for sharing that!
post #1535 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM

The before accuracy was THX Cinema, out of the box!

The calibrated was using Proffesional1.
post #1536 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm in awe - I don't think there's a single competitor that can pull those type of out-of-the box numbers. the Vt50 surely doesn't.

Congratulations on your new numbers too!
post #1537 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

Can I ask what meter you are using ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1538 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumoHD View Post

And a 60zt60 for 3
60zt60 smile.gifsmile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #1539 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Can I ask what meter you are using ?

Display 3 Pro.
post #1540 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Just got done working with Turbe through a port forwarding process to get ControlCal functioning with our VT60's.

Should have a fully supported version by tomorrow. smile.gif

I'm sure the pros already have it.wink.gif

Can't wait, it should make the whole process so much easier and faster.
post #1541 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Controlcal is wonderful. Made my vt50 experience so much better cause of it.
post #1542 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 13
I wanted to give a shout out to Chris at Cleveland Plasma, where I purchased my new beast, a VT 65 inch, which is replacing my Kuro Elite 8G 60 inch set.

I also bought ST 55 inch which replaced my 50 inch Kuro Elite 1110HD, a 720p panel from 2005. I will post on my ST experience on the ST thread (awesome panel!)

As for the VT: Chris was great. I terrific purchase experience and the delivery was flawless.

I have completed 100 hours of D-NICE's slide set combined with some low contrast/brightness TV watching.

There is had been some commentary about fan noise, so I wanted to chime in.

I have been running the TV for 100 hours straight. The 2 fans emit a very light hum that is barely noticeable 8 feet away. The Panny fan noise is MUCH MORE QUIET than my DIRECTV DVR or my very noisy PS3 slim (or the 8G Kuro), so I do not see the fan noise on the TV being much of an issue at least on my sample smile.gif

I used my Dune HD at 24 fps connected directly to the Panny to do a quick calibration with the WOW and S&M 2 ed discs. The Panny was at 96Hz,

This set is unbelievably bright. Using the Professional 1 mode with panel brightness mode on "mid", my contrast setting was in the 40 s to avoid clipping the whites. When I put the panel brightness in low mode, I was able to get the whites in balance at a contrast setting in the 80s.
The brightness was at +2. I was also able to bump sharpness up over 20 with no artifacts on the S&M or WOW discs.

Although the white calibration pattern looked better in the low panel brightness setting, at bumped it back up to mid position (and lower contrast setting) to watch some scenes from Avatar at 96 Hz, and yowza what a picture. The colors and blacks are stunning.

The Panny smokes the black levels and overall feel of my Kuro 8G (and half the price!)

I cannot even imagine having a brighter panel at 65 inches.

Chris was right to guide me to the Pannys rather than the Sammy given my history with the Kuro and desire for richer blacks and a more natural look and feel. That goes for the ST as well a fantastic panel and an unbelievable value.

This is all very preliminary, and I have a few hundred hours of viewing pleasure before I get a professional calibration and I really see what these panels can do.

Thanks for all of the posts and all of the info on this forum.
post #1543 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post

Thanks for clarifying. I bought it in store but they shipped it since I drive a sedan.

One thing I should note. I am a Premiere Silver status, so shipping was free for me which could be the reason why it's free to return also.
post #1544 of 14794 Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoresguy View Post

I wanted to give a shout out to Chris at Cleveland Plasma, where I purchased my new beast, a VT 65 inch, which is replacing my Kuro Elite 8G 60 inch set.

I also bought ST 55 inch which replaced my 50 inch Kuro Elite 1110HD, a 720p panel from 2005. I will post on my ST experience on the ST thread (awesome panel!)

As for the VT: Chris was great. I terrific purchase experience and the delivery was flawless.

I have completed 100 hours of D-NICE's slide set combined with some low contrast/brightness TV watching.

I have been running the TV for 100 hours straight. The 2 fans emit a very light hum that is barely noticeable 8 feet away. The Panny fan noise is MUCH MORE QUIET than my DIRECTV DVR or my very noisy PS3 slim (or the 8G Kuro), so I do not see the fan noise on the TV being much of an issue at least on my sample smile.gif

I used my Dune HD at 24 fps connected directly to the Panny to do a quick calibration with the WOW and S&M 2 ed discs. The Panny was at 96Hz,

This set is unbelievably bright. Using the Professional 1 mode with panel brightness mode on "mid", my contrast setting was in the 40 s to avoid clipping the whites. When I put the panel brightness in low mode, I was able to get the whites in balance at a contrast setting in the 80s.
The brightness was at +2. I was also able to bump sharpness up over 20 with no artifacts on the S&M or WOW discs.

Although the white calibration pattern looked better in the low panel brightness setting, at bumped it back up to mid position (and lower contrast setting) to watch some scenes from Avatar at 96 Hz, and yowza what a picture. The colors and blacks are stunning.

The Panny smokes the black levels and overall feel of my Kuro 8G (and half the price!)

Chris was right to guide me to the Pannys rather than the Sammy given my history with the Kuro and desire for richer blacks and a more natural look and feel. That goes for the ST as well a fantastic panel and an unbelievable value.

This is all very preliminary, and I have a few hundred hours of viewing pleasure before I get a professional calibration and I really see what these panels can do.

Chris and Cleveland Plasma Rock!

It's where I made my 65VT60 purchase, my screen came cracked due to the freight companies truck breaking down, had a new set the next day.

Course I had to pick it up, but he bent his ass backwards too make everything right, I'm a customer for life!
post #1545 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
has anyone tried calibrating THX bright mode in the service menu?

It can go nice and bright but lacks colour and depth.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #1546 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks for the information. The out of box pre settings via the THX Cinema setting matches my thoughts on my VT60, simply an incredible picture for an out of the box setting.

So out of curiosity, what panel brightness is used via THX Cinema setting? Does anyone know if mid or low is used with this?
post #1547 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoresguy View Post

I'm wondering how you could get contrast so low, in 40's , with panel brightness set at mid. I'm typically reading contrast set around 80 with panel brightness at mid and brightness around -1 to +1. The contrast you achieved with low panel brightness seems more common.

Just wondering -
post #1548 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Be my first post here after lurking for a very long time, anyways would also like to give a shout out to Chris from Cleveland Plasma...set arrived two weeks ago in perfect condition. Ran D-Nice Slides for well over 100 hours also with gaming and movie watching in between...turns out D-Nice lives 20 mins away from me so I decided to get a professional cal by the man himself. Here are my pre cal results (using cnet) and post cal results ISF day and night...

TC-P55VT60 Pre Calibration Report (Cinema).pdf 131k .pdf file

TC-P55VT60 Post Calibration Report (ISF-Day).pdf 123k .pdf file

TC-P55VT60 Post Calibration Report (ISF-Night).pdf 123k .pdf file

I came from a LG 9500 Full Backlight LED and I must say after being scared to go plasma because of problems like IR and so called low brightness, this is definitely best tv buying decision I made ever. TV was great out of the box and even greater with the cal, gaming is perfect with very low input lag and I haven't seen any IR yet from my viewing distance. As for movies well not much I can say except just wow...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TC-P55VT60 Pre Calibration Report (Cinema).pdf (131.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: pdf TC-P55VT60 Post Calibration Report (ISF-Day).pdf (123.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: pdf TC-P55VT60 Post Calibration Report (ISF-Night).pdf (123.1 KB, 110 views)
post #1549 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Very impressive calibration.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #1550 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Well, Pulled trigger on 65VT60. So to run slides is it same way as done to vt50 series thru Viera tools and media player to photos then do slide show..etc Or is there diferent way on newer set just want to be prepared...Also does someone know if the shoot out tv's got slides via Evangelo's slides or D-nice..and i heard 300 hrs ty. O slides ran on Standard mode 24/7 ?

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #1551 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Well, Pulled trigger on 65VT60. So to run slides is it same way as done to vt50 series thru Viera tools and media player to photos then do slide show..etc Or is there diferent way on newer set just wamt to be prepared...Also does someone know if rhe shoot out tv's got slides via Evangelo's slides or D-nice..and i heard 300 hrs ty

Sucker smile.gif Just kidding enjoy

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #1552 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Could Not Afford Sunglasses.For the /Cough shootout winner... cool.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #1553 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Could Not Afford Sunglasses.For the /Cough shootout winner... cool.gif

I am sure it will be a beauty smile.gif
Denniswrly likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #1554 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 10
i kinda think that the shootout wasnt being fully accurate now, i mean, the VT60 and ZT60 can both get up to 43 FtL, infact that review a page back said the ZT they tested had upto 47 FtL, but all that aside, 43 FtL, and a black level of .0011, thats pretty amazing
post #1555 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

i kinda think that the shootout wasnt being fully accurate now, i mean, the VT60 and ZT60 can both get up to 43 FtL, infact that review a page back said the ZT they tested had upto 47 FtL, but all that aside, 43 FtL, and a black level of .0011, thats pretty amazing
Are you saying that because of your greater experience, that you can point out inaccuracies in the work done at the shootout?

Or could it be that the standards used for the shootout give different results than those that an amateur calibrator might choose to use.

I'm neither a professional or an amateur calibrator so I'm probably misunderstanding your post. redface.gif
post #1556 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

What your missing is the reasons that the modes in the shootout were used. The ISF modes were used as they are the best for calibrating. The HDGuru review used the THX and other modes.....D-Nice himself said during the shootout that the sets could possibly go brither in a different mode, but those were not calibrated so the numbers were not given....

See the reason the ISF modes were used in the post below:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472028/which-display-wins-the-shootout-lets-have-some-fun-make-your-predictions-here/570#post_23310359
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te

Just to be fair, the limitations were only seen in ISF mode, the sets probably could get brighter, but the otehr modes were not measured so there is no telling if numbers would have been different..Of course the other modes may introduce other things that would skew the calibration and or results, wee just dont ahve that info
This is not entirely correct. Beyond the ISF modes, Custom and Cinema were checked and showed no improvement compared to the ISF modes. Both THX modes were not checked at the shootout. However, neither would have been used as they inferior to the ISF modes and Cinema/Custom due to the lack of controls to refine the grayscale, gamma and color.
post #1557 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just read the Home Theater mag review of the VT50. The reviewer measured the brightness at 32fl . While I appreciate reviews, why don't they tell you the window size used? What are the guidelines? When comparing reviews, TVs, measurements how do you know if you are comparing apples to apples? I would like to know if the VT50 is brighter then the VT60 but without knowing how it was measured, it is difficult to do. I was at a MHT today and the VT60 looked plenty bright to me. Yet I've been reading that this years sets are dimmer then last years. Thoughts?

TWD
post #1558 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Pretty amazing if you can settle for a degraded image quality. rolleyes.gif Give me some slack as I just learning how to use the smiley faces, so if I'm using the wrong expression I mean no disrespect.

From what was explained to me at the Shootout is that the THX Bright mode is locked at a very low gamma and that fixed low gamma forces a slightly brighter image but pushes the panel to come out of black way too fast and therefore detail is lost and a the image quality is greatly reduced and looks dull compared to the full dynamic properly set-up ISF Day mode. The calibrators would not show a grey looking low contrast image as this would have been far worse than the slightly lower brightness they got in a perfectly calibrated ISF Day and ISF Night modes they accomplished for the VT60.

They explained a few other defects in the THX modes but I can't understand my notes and don't remember them well enough to take a stab at the additional reasons for not using the THX modes.

Someone correct me if I am explaining this incorrectly.
post #1559 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Liked: 11
For those who have compared both the F8500 and VT60, how much better is the 3D on the F8500? 8500 a 10 and VT60 a 9?
post #1560 of 14794 Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't think they did a 3D demo at the Shootout. But I went back Monday and helped clean up and we all watched 3D in moderate ambient light. You have to move your head slowly to sync to each TV, but it was fun. The dark glasses need a bright TV so the LED and F8500 were clearly the best image quality. Much brighter and more detailed.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page