Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 523 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15661 of 15669 Old Today, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
ARC and CEC are two different features. They're not necessarily configured the same. I recall jumping through a number of hoops getting them configured right on my Denon (mostly the same as a Marantz, but without the porthole look).

Yes, ARC & CEC are different but my manual notes that the ARC feature is controlled via the receivers HDMI Controller function. Very easy setup, just turn on and your ready to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15662 of 15669 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Don't bother, the on-TV apps suck. I went through all the work to get ARC and CEC working (they're TWO DIFFERENT THINGS) and it wasn't worth the hassle for ARC. Apps on just about ALL other seperate devices do a much better job and are, more importantly, kept up to date. The on-TV stuff is terrible to start and usually doesn't get updates. I gave up after trying to use them. Yeah, we might want to use them but they're just not good enough to be worth the bother.

That and as has been suggested, make sure your AVR is designed to work with it and is configured as necessary. This is likewise a bit of a dance.
I am not even trying to necessarily get ARC to work, the optical out is also not sending anything to my Denon receiver. I feel it all stems from the fact that my Viera Link menu only has two submenus, "Viera Link Control" and "Return to TV", per everything I am reading it should also have one for "speaker output" or something along those lines, under the Viera Link Control menu, I can only select player which does nothing but says please wait and then the menu disappears
post #15663 of 15669 Old Today, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well, if you get ARC working then you won't need the optical. I'll look at the menus on my VT60 and report back later today.
post #15664 of 15669 Old Today, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, if you get ARC working then you won't need the optical. I'll look at the menus on my VT60 and report back later today.
okay, there are two different places to set things up. One is inside of the VIERA Link app, the accessed from the MENU button from the remote.

The Viera Link app has two choices for where the commands are being sent, in this case labeled just player for my connected chromecast and the other for audio set to home theater.

From the remote menu I went down to the setup choices scrolled down that list to VIERA Link settings and within that there are four choices. I have mine set to
  • VIERA Link: on
  • Power on link: yes
  • Power off link: yes
  • Energy saving mode: quick start
  • Unselected device auto off set to OFF.

Last edited by wkearney99; Today at 03:53 PM.
post #15665 of 15669 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
okay, there are two different places to set things up one inside of the VIERA Link app, the other inside of the menu button from the remote.

The app has two choices for where the commands are being sent, in this case labeled just player for my connected chromecast and the other for audio set to home theater.

From the remote menu I went down to the setup choices scrolled down that list to VIERA Link settings and within that there are four choices. I have mine set to VIERA Link on, power on link yes, power off link yes, energy saving mode quick start, unselected device auto off set to OFF.
When I get home tonight I will take a picture of what I am seeing. I believe I messed with all the settings in the Viera Link settings menu. Mine only lets me select Player for some reason, it's as if the TV thinks my receiver is a Player like Chromecast rather than a home theater?
post #15666 of 15669 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post
I am not even trying to necessarily get ARC to work, the optical out is also not sending anything to my Denon receiver. I feel it all stems from the fact that my Viera Link menu only has two submenus, "Viera Link Control" and "Return to TV", per everything I am reading it should also have one for "speaker output" or something along those lines, under the Viera Link Control menu, I can only select player which does nothing but says please wait and then the menu disappears

My Viera Link has two options; TV & Home Theater.
post #15667 of 15669 Old Today, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
My Viera Link has two options; TV & Home Theater.
Same for mine

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #15668 of 15669 Old Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post
When I get home tonight I will take a picture of what I am seeing. I believe I messed with all the settings in the Viera Link settings menu. Mine only lets me select Player for some reason, it's as if the TV thinks my receiver is a Player like Chromecast rather than a home theater?
My TV also sees the AVR as 'player'. Why, I don't know, but that's what it does. I'm guessing it's because there are player features as part of it, but who the hell knows when it comes to consumer electronics gear sometimes...

I think the point here is you're configuring it to either use it's own speakers or whatever's on the other end of the HDMI cable plugged into the ARC-capable socket.

And remember, there are two totally separate places to configure the 'Viera Link' features. One set is inside an app on the TV, the other is accessed via the remote's MENU button. The one in the app handles the ARC features, the one via the remote seems to handle just the CEC features. Both are wrapped up behind the marketing-speak label of "Viera Link". Gee, thanks marketing droids... jerks...
post #15669 of 15669 Old Today, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Optical cable won't work with ARC. Only HDMI will work with ARC.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread