Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 526 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
This is what an eeBox does......
Got it. There would not be a way to manually enter his color settings since they are being managed by his eeBox. I would need my own box in order to match his settings.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Knoetgen View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a VT60 but would like to actually see one in person first. Any chance any one in Florida, preferably on the west coast, has one that I can have a look at? Thanks.

Doubtful...Panasonic discontinued plasma last November and 99.9% have been purchased. Call dealers in the state to double check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzo View Post
I understand that the links are settings for my VT60 but they don't have Color ones. In your note, there is mention of an 'eecolor box' so that's why I thought there might be some info in your report that could help find the Color settings to input.

The snow behind the black bar is the same color as the bottom one and it seems to be about 2 1/2 inches. It's too difficult to capture with my phone's camera so I'll try and take a good picture with my DSLR.
If the trail from black to white is 2 1/2 inch of snow, then there is something wrong with your VT60.
Maybe ask someone to also see if they see what you see.

Quote:
Thanks for the DVD link. I'm still wondering if it would be normal for this issue to show up just because of my settings, wouldn't that mean that it's a problem with the TV?
Yes settings can make that much of a difference.

Quote:
By the way, I'm trying to get an idea of what could cause this issue so that I can help Panasonic in resolving it because, after being misdiagnosed 2 times, I need to find the real cause myself.
Yes I understand that, and that's why I had you run the sweeper. I am trying to rule out a external source problem.

Quote:
Got it. There would not be a way to manually enter his color settings since they are being managed by his eeBox. I would need my own box in order to match his settings.

Thanks for the info.
Because my color settings are so large (9800 color points) as where the VT60 can only store and process 6 color points, you need a external processor that can store and process these large 3DLUT calibration.

If you have a HTPC setup then all you would need is your HTPC to store and process this kind of calibration.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
Setup dispcalGUI, 2nd link settings for 65EF9500
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post35174522
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post39870898
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
While this very well may happen but why would I do this if I cannot see the double image while watching from my normal viewing distance and angle? Oh well...I think you should return it or call Panasonic and get a tech to come out and fix it.
There is no reason for a tech to come out because there is no fix for an engineer intended design such as this. I agree with you all it is mostly a none issue you two can relax. If your TV is setup in such a way as you never have to walk past it you'll like never ever ever see it. The fact remains if you less than 20 degrees off the image can blur almost like ghosting in 3d. We love plasmas for many reason such as wide viewing angles but the vt suffers at extreme angles in ways other plasmas do not.
mbroadus likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
If the trail from black to white is 2 1/2 inch of snow, then there is something wrong with your VT60.
Maybe ask someone to also see if they see what you see.

Yes settings can make that much of a difference.

Yes I understand that, and that's why I had you run the sweeper. I am trying to rule out a external source problem.

Because my color settings are so large (9800 color points) as where the VT60 can only store and process 6 color points, you need a external processor that can store and process these large 3DLUT calibration.

If you have a HTPC setup then all you would need is your HTPC to store and process this kind of calibration.

ss
I just realized that, when the issue is present, it happens in certain Picture modes like THX Cinema, Professional 2 (with my current settings) and, funny enough, Custom (with your settings). It does not happen in the other modes.

I have a computer connected to my TV through HDMI. Even though it's not really being used as an HTPC, I can always experiment with color processing through it.

My Xbox One, with Verizon cable box passing through it, is my main player. I'm actually sending the Xbox through a Pioneer VSX-1121-K. The PC is connected directly. Don't know yet how much the Pioneer might be degrading PQ...or not (Nothing to do with my issue though since TV's YouTube app is also affected).
Old 01-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The gap is a non issue imo, the fact you have to go thru such gyrations to even make it visible says it all. Like so many other things here totally blown out of proportion.
Almost as bad as my rant about the stands. I have to touch it to get it to wobble. But it does wobble if I touch it. Must of been having a bad day when I started that rant. I think it was the same day I returned from Caribbean vacation to to cold of Texas!

These TVs really are incredible IMO.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there some type of known issue with the panel become ultra sensitive to IR? I am at about the ~2100hrs mark on my VT60 and it seems that getting IR has been easier than ever. I feel like I have been babying the set as of late. Anyone heard of this?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkypanda View Post
Is there some type of known issue with the panel become ultra sensitive to IR? I am at about the ~2100hrs mark on my VT60 and it seems that getting IR has been easier than ever. I feel like I have been babying the set as of late. Anyone heard of this?
I notice my ZT was getting more IR around the same time. My set is now at 2800+ and the IR seems to have reduce significantly. The IR on my set is located in the lower right corner and is a a logo of a local NBC channel. It's from watching the Today show every morning. I ran the screen swipe for around 3-4 hours which reduced the IR by 90%.

This set does seem to be more IR than any other plasma I've owned. But, it also has the best picture of any plasma I've owned. So, I've learned to live with it. Not that noticeable except for when we start Netflix which has a red background. Minor IR IMO.

Last edited by eaayoung; 01-16-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Almost as bad as my rant about the stands. I have to touch it to get it to wobble. But it does wobble if I touch it. Must of been having a bad day when I started that rant. I think it was the same day I returned from Caribbean vacation to to cold of Texas!

These TVs really are incredible IMO.

Indeed. On the stands, it is quite an interesting design because the centres of gravity of the parts (TV, stand upright, stand base) are not aligned one directly above another. If, e.g., you look at the upright it attaches to the base about 2/3rds of the way towards the back and the upright leans forward.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just realized that, when the issue is present, it happens in certain Picture modes like THX Cinema, Professional 2 (with my current settings) and, funny enough, Custom (with your settings). It does not happen in the other modes.

I have a computer connected to my TV through HDMI. Even though it's not really being used as an HTPC, I can always experiment with color processing through it.

My Xbox One, with Verizon cable box passing through it, is my main player. I'm actually sending the Xbox through a Pioneer VSX-1121-K. The PC is connected directly. Don't know yet how much the Pioneer might be degrading PQ...or not (Nothing to do with my issue though since TV's YouTube app is also affected).
I think Steve W settings are for Euro Panasonic's.

It is strange that some modes don't have your issue, and that would lead me to believe the issue is with your settings.
When you entered my settings did you first hit reset settings for Custom mode?
Did you enter all my settings as posted?

You could run the screen sweeper over night, just encase you have some IR that is causing the tint you showed in your picture.

You could try a factory reset, however you will loose all your settings.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
Old 01-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:

It is strange that some modes don't have your issue, and that would lead me to believe the issue is with your settings.
When you entered my settings did you first hit reset settings for Custom mode?
Did you enter all my settings as posted?

You could run the screen sweeper over night, just encase you have some IR that is causing the tint you showed in your picture.

You could try a factory reset, however you will loose all your settings.

ss
I don't see how it could be my settings since it's happening in the THX Cinema mode.

I did not reset settings for Custom mode but my last factory reset was 1 week ago (when they changed the motherboard) and I haven't changed any modes except for the Professional 2. All the settings you provided were entered. Since there are no color settings, none were entered.

I'm always running the sweeper every occasion I get but never really overnight. This is my first plasma and what I think is IR always shows up as a pale ghost image that is not easy to see but never as the colored snow you see in my pic. However, on rare occasions, the snow might intensify for a few seconds and take an unclear shape of something that looks like the CNN bottom graphics. That's why I thought about burn-in but, from what I read, it's virtually impossible for that to happen on this TV.
I'll give the 'overnight sweeping' a try and see what happens.

Thanks for sticking with me.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
2100 usage hours is the achilles heel of this set when it comes to IR. The panel goes through some kind of a change and anything and everything seems to stick to it even after a few seconds. Thankfully it goes away a couple of hundred hours later and in my case at a little over 2400 hours. It's back to its old self and I have no worries for now.

Is 3100 hours the next time frame I should expect this to happen again or is it smooth sailing from now on?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
ss
Where could I found these settings? Just bought a 50VT60 and would like to try.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sa View Post
Where could I found these settings? Just bought a 50VT60 and would like to try.
Here it is but it really is for the VT65 (European version) though. I like the results on my VT60 but I'm far from a trained eye

http://www.avforums.com/threads/pana...tings.1779325/
Old 01-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
2100 usage hours is the achilles heel of this set when it comes to IR. The panel goes through some kind of a change and anything and everything seems to stick to it even after a few seconds. Thankfully it goes away a couple of hundred hours later and in my case at a little over 2400 hours. It's back to its old self and I have no worries for now.

Is 3100 hours the next time frame I should expect this to happen again or is it smooth sailing from now on?
Thanks. Seems like I am not alone. What a weird phenomenon. Literally, IR will stick after mere seconds. I hope it goes away for me. Anyone have a clue as to why?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't see how it could be my settings since it's happening in the THX Cinema mode.

I did not reset settings for Custom mode but my last factory reset was 1 week ago (when they changed the motherboard) and I haven't changed any modes except for the Professional 2. All the settings you provided were entered. Since there are no color settings, none were entered.

I'm always running the sweeper every occasion I get but never really overnight. This is my first plasma and what I think is IR always shows up as a pale ghost image that is not easy to see but never as the colored snow you see in my pic. However, on rare occasions, the snow might intensify for a few seconds and take an unclear shape of something that looks like the CNN bottom graphics. That's why I thought about burn-in but, from what I read, it's virtually impossible for that to happen on this TV.
I'll give the 'overnight sweeping' a try and see what happens.

Thanks for sticking with me.
When they changed the "motherboard" do you know if they did any adjustments in service mode.?

IR is very possible with are VT60's. Burn in is possible.
If that is what is causing your issue, then it may take many overnight sweeper sessions before the IR goes away.
Keep in mind when orbiter is on it simply shifts the pixel's, so what I see in your picture could be from IR.

If you want you could download these pattern's and put on a thumb drive. Pattern 1 is a full white screen pattern.
Display on your VT60 and see what modes display your issue.
2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Also in that thread D-Nice has posted his settings for the VT60 you could try.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

Last edited by sillysally; 01-18-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
When they changed the "motherboard" do you know if they did any adjustments in service mode.?

IR is very possible with are VT60's. Burn in is possible.
If that is what is causing your issue, then it may take many overnight sweeper sessions before the IR goes away.
Keep in mind when orbiter is on it simply shifts the pixel's, so what I see in your picture could be from IR.

If you want you could download these pattern's and put on a thumb drive. Pattern 1 is a full white screen pattern.
Display on your VT60 and see what modes display your issue.
2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Also in that thread D-Nice has posted his settings for the VT60 you could try.

ss
I'm certain that no adjustments were made. I'm actually the one who decided to do a factory reset because they assured me that it would reset automatically since it's a new motherboard, which meant a new TV. When I saw my settings still intact, I knew it was not the case.

A white screen pattern might help but this issue shows up when it wants, even if it's the same video or image. I cannot find what triggers it except that it's always on bright scenes like most Apple Ads (which I use on YouTube to get it going if it feels like it). This forum at original color settings is a good example of what that issue likes. By the way, the snow changes a bit depending on the rest of the screen. For example, in the Macbook Pro ad showing people's different customizations, the snow will change shape a bit for each one and even jump to the top of the screen for a second or two. It's crazy and confusing.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the only electronic piece that needs an electrical stabilizer in my home?

I'll try and run the sweeper for a few nights and hope for the best.

Thanks for the links. Other settings are always good to try. I'm not sure what 'Normal' is for 'Color gamut' option in D-Nice's settings. Native, I suppose?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Ruzo!

So to my understanding VT65 is British and VT60 is European, but they are almost the same. Am I right?

There is also US model? What are the differences compared to that.

I would like to get my set custom calibrated right away, but I'm moving to a new apartment next summer and would like to do it after the moving. That's why I have to use others settings.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
On Advanced Picture, what settings do you guys recommend for 1080p Pure Direct and Black Level for the VT60?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Is it possible, may I ask, to have different overscan settings for different HDMI inputs and/or picture modes?

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've started noticing green flashes on my P50VT60 lately; it's usually the bottom half of the screen and only for a fraction of a second. It happens when playing from DLNA or NetFlix, so it's not a HDMI source issue, and it's never reproducible (replaying a piece of video that had a green flash does not re-trigger the green flash). It doesn't happen often (currently once every half hour or so, but it seems to take up in frequency), but it's enough to be annoying. I don't watch an external source often, but I've never noticed it there so I'm thinking it may be related to the video decoding. Does anyone else recognize this behavior?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper52 View Post
On Advanced Picture, what settings do you guys recommend for 1080p Pure Direct and Black Level for the VT60?
Black Level = Light

1080 Pure Direct = On, however, it needs to be fed a Color Space of 4-4-4 for Pure Direct to be engaged.
sleeper52 likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post
Black Level = Light

1080 Pure Direct = On, however, it needs to be fed a Color Space of 4-4-4 for Pure Direct to be engaged.
My Sony BD sends a 4:4:4 signal to the TV and with Pure Direct On, it fails the chroma tests from Spears & Munsil when compared to 4:2:2 (or Pure Direct off). Yes, Pure Direct enables a sharper image, but it's just jaggy and inaccurate. You're losing more than you're getting. It's best not to use Pure Direct unless you have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player with "Chroma Processing" set to OFF.

Last edited by BldyBg; 02-04-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BldyBg View Post
My Sony BD sends a 4:4:4 signal to the TV and with Pure Direct On, it fails the chroma tests from Spears & Munsil when compared to 4:2:2 (or Pure Direct off). Yes, Pure Direct enables a sharper image, but it's just jaggy and inaccurate. You're losing more than you're getting. It's best not to use Pure Direct unless you have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player with "Chroma Processing" set to Advanced, and even then it's better but still not perfect.
I don't doubt you. However, I've read a few VT60 settings from calibrators (both pro and am) that said to have Pure Direct ON, so that's what I've done via my Oppo 105D's. 4-4-4 Color Space into my 65VT60's so the Pure Direct engages. Yes, I'm a sheep in this case. Perhaps your Sony BD player is the issue vs my Oppo's? Not sure, but thank you just the same.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinyatar View Post
I've started noticing green flashes on my P50VT60 lately; it's usually the bottom half of the screen and only for a fraction of a second. It happens when playing from DLNA or NetFlix, so it's not a HDMI source issue, and it's never reproducible (replaying a piece of video that had a green flash does not re-trigger the green flash). It doesn't happen often (currently once every half hour or so, but it seems to take up in frequency), but it's enough to be annoying. I don't watch an external source often, but I've never noticed it there so I'm thinking it may be related to the video decoding. Does anyone else recognize this behavior?
Your problem sound very much like the one I've been describing but the color is not green. It's closer to red and it's snowy. I've never thought of it as flashing but that's actually what it does continuously for a few minutes then disappears for a while. It's been at least 8 months now and I can't find a solution. The motherboard was changed but that did not help. More TVs wit the same problem might give an incentive to find the cause of it.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think we're describing different issues; it's really just a brief flash. For a single frame most of the screen goes entirely green, and then it's back to normal for a while. Yesterday I spent the evening watching an external source and it didn't happen once, so now I'm wondering if it's something to do with interference from the ethernet cable (since it does mostly happen when watching network streams). I'm going to try switching to wireless and see if that helps any.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post
I don't doubt you. However, I've read a few VT60 settings from calibrators (both pro and am) that said to have Pure Direct ON, so that's what I've done via my Oppo 105D's. 4-4-4 Color Space into my 65VT60's so the Pure Direct engages. Yes, I'm a sheep in this case. Perhaps your Sony BD player is the issue vs my Oppo's? Not sure, but thank you just the same.
It all depends on the BD player. Sony is all compression which is why I'll be switching to Panny soon so I can use Pure Direct. Up until yesterday, I had Pure Direct on for well over a year until I read this and performed the test to find that I had more "accurate" results with it off.

Yes, the image looks sharper but wait until red text (WARNING page from blu-rays) shows up and you'll see why it might not be best. That's what made me read into Pure Direct and Chroma Alignment.

Your Oppo is top of the line so there's a big chance it might have some form of chroma processing in there when converting to 4:4:4. Sony uses Nearest Neighbor which is not at all the best for Pure Direct. Only way to know is to test it yourself.

I admit, Pure Direct is a lovely setting to enable as long as the BD player is outputting 4:4:4 accurately (since you're basically depending on the player to do the processing instead of the TV).
cockatiel likes this.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinyatar View Post
I think we're describing different issues; it's really just a brief flash. For a single frame most of the screen goes entirely green, and then it's back to normal for a while. Yesterday I spent the evening watching an external source and it didn't happen once, so now I'm wondering if it's something to do with interference from the ethernet cable (since it does mostly happen when watching network streams). I'm going to try switching to wireless and see if that helps any.
Oh, alright. It's because you stated that it was the bottom half of the screen so I thought the brief flash was because your issue is in the early stages.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper52 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated
You're welcome.

Last edited by 5150zx; 01-22-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv