Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 526 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Have you tried cnet, sillysallie, or sound and vision settings? I would give them a try and if you're still not happy, I would have the display calibrated by a professional. I liked the settings but they do not compare to a properly calibrated display. I have no problem with brightness, my display has more than enough punch! Also, you should not have a problem viewing you set from any angle, 0 - 90 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The air gap between the actual glass and the plastic filter does give you a double image if your off to the side of the vt. I see it pretty easy when watching tnt channel with there round logo. In essence the internal reflections could blur or soften the image a bit mainly on off angle viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
The air gap between the actual glass and the plastic filter does give you a double image if your off to the side of the vt. I see it pretty easy when watching tnt channel with there round logo. In essence the internal reflections could blur or soften the image a bit mainly on off angle viewing.
You have to be at a pretty extreme angle to see that in my experience. Would it be worth trashing your tv to get rid of that ? Not to mention the anti-glare properties you would lose. No offense to the original poster but got to be one of the silliest ideas I have ever heard.
dianebrat, mbroadus and eaayoung like this.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Strange snow

Hi guys,

I'm completely confused about an issue I've been having with my P65VT60. It's been 1 year now that I bought it and as far as I can remember, it was just a few months after purchase that I noticed the problem. In most scenes with a lot of white, there is a colored snow-like artifact across the bottom of the screen. It doesn't happen every single time but often enough to be a nuisance. It might actually happen for a while and then disappear to come back at a later time. I'm uploading a picture of the issue happening while displaying a webpage from my computer to see if someone could help in identifying the problem. It also happens from any source, input or even Connect apps like YouTube. One observation I've made is that it happens much more often when using the Professional settings recommended on this forum. A Panasonic authorized center checked it out and decided to change the motherboard which did not help. I did not even call them back yet because I know they won't have any idea about the real cause of this issue. Any help to get me on the right track will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150114_154500.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	478434  
Old 01-14-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Try running the screen sweeper. If you don't see your issue then you know its not the VT60 causing your issue.

If you do see your issue when running screen sweeper then call Panasonic.

You may want to input the settings in my first link also, and see if your issue is still there when you run screen sweeper.

ss

Last edited by sillysally; 01-14-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Try running the screen sweeper. If you don't see your issue then you know its not the VT60 causing your issue.

You may want to input the settings in my first link also, and see if your issue is still there when you run screen sweeper.

ss
Thanks for reply, sillysally.

I don't think I ever saw it during the sweeper but I'll try and confirm that. However, I'm wondering how it would not be the VT60 if it happens with any source, even internal apps?
Also, I'm currently using Steve Withers' settings so you recommend that I use your Custom settings and not your Professional ones?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzo View Post
Thanks for reply, sillysally.

I don't think I ever saw it during the sweeper but I'll try and confirm that. However, I'm wondering how it would not be the VT60 if it happens with any source, even internal apps?
Also, I'm currently using Steve Withers' settings so you recommend that I use your Custom settings and not your Professional ones?

Thanks.
The screen sweeper would rule out any source problems, if you see your issue.

My settings are done using my Klein K10-A meter profiled by my Jeti 1211 meter. They are meant to be basic and therefore a little bit more generic so they would be more compatible with more 65VT60's.

Try both custom and pro settings. Actually those settings that are in my top two links, I use for my 3DLUT profile/calibration taking into account and reading 9800 color points not just the normal 13 color points that are done with a standard calibration.
If you want, click on this link for the calibration report. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...82352312471409

ss
Old 01-14-2015, 05:48 PM

I should add that I always hear a little buzzing sound when white and bright scenes are being displayed like something is being overloaded.
I'm sorry but I don't know much about calibration right now (maybe in the coming months) and the file link is downloading an unusable PHP file. My best bet is to find a way to convert your calibration settings to the manual settings available in the Color detail adjustments
Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Where is the front-of-panel EMF shielding and anti-UV filter?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:36 AM

Could someone remind me, please: pixel orbiter auto - does that mean use the orbiter if and only if overscan is turned on?

Thank you.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
'

thanks, it looked like an air gap between the panel and plexi-glass glare filter
Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I don't see it on my VT. Could it be the source?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm completely confused about an issue I've been having with my P65VT60. It's been 1 year now that I bought it and as far as I can remember, it was just a few months after purchase that I noticed the problem. In most scenes with a lot of white, there is a colored snow-like artifact across the bottom of the screen. It doesn't happen every single time but often enough to be a nuisance. It might actually happen for a while and then disappear to come back at a later time. I'm uploading a picture of the issue happening while displaying a webpage from my computer to see if someone could help in identifying the problem. It also happens from any source, input or even Connect apps like YouTube. One observation I've made is that it happens much more often when using the Professional settings recommended on this forum. A Panasonic authorized center checked it out and decided to change the motherboard which did not help. I did not even call them back yet because I know they won't have any idea about the real cause of this issue. Any help to get me on the right track will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Quote:
I should add that I always hear a little buzzing sound when white and bright scenes are being displayed like something is being overloaded.
Quote:
ss
The mystery continues because when I closely analyze the screen during the sweeper, I don't see the colored snow at the bottom but I see it trailing vertically behind the black bar (beginning of white bar).
Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreXXX View Post
'

thanks, it looked like an air gap between the panel and plexi-glass glare filter
There are couple members here that had dust spec removed from in between there VT screen by a tech coming to there house if I remember correctly. So there is probably is a way the remove the front AR filter by disassembling part of the tv (take off the back then remove screws that hold front on?) but AR filter is still permanently attached leaving unfinished front on the tv. I don't think it would be worth the effort. It is your tv and if you want to try disassemble it to see how it may look report back with pictures to
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I don't see it on my VT. Could it be the source?
A sure fire way to see it would be to pause the credits at the end of a movie then walk up to edge of the tv look across it. Also a flashlight test may show the gap too. Put a flashlight up against the screen shine light through it (kinda what Dr. larry webber did at the Value Electronics shootout) Also that was one of the big selling features bewtween the zt and vt no air gap and better filter that reflects light and makes black look blacker during daylight.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
Where is the front-of-panel EMF shielding and anti-UV filter?
I really don't know. Is it built in to the filter or glass? Being there are the cheaper plasma TVs that don't have anti reflective screens just the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
Could someone remind me, please: pixel orbiter auto - does that mean use the orbiter if and only if overscan is turned on?

Thank you.

There was a post that someone said if your not using 1:1 pixel mapping that auto did shift the picture around. Like you said if overscan was on and/or the H size was changed it may have more of an effect. Did anyone else confirm this?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The mystery continues because when I closely analyze the screen during the sweeper, I don't see the colored snow at the bottom but I see it trailing vertically behind the black bar (beginning of white bar).
The settings you see when you click on the 1st or 2nd link are the settings for you to input into your VT60.
Just like you did with the other settings you found.
The download opens with your browser (IE, Google, Firefox). That download is a detailed calibration report, not settings.

The buzzing you hear for a 100% white screen is normal.

The "vertically behind the black bar" probably is normal. As long as its no more than 1/4 inch wide, and it runs top to bottom.

If you want, download and burn this DVD calibration disc (its free).AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
Display a 100% full field white pattern, see if your issue shows.
Make sure your Blu Ray player settings are set to default. No enhancements.

ss
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The settings you see when you click on the 1st or 2nd link are the settings for you to input into your VT60.
Just like you did with the other settings you found.
The download opens with your browser (IE, Google, Firefox). That download is a detailed calibration report, not settings.

The buzzing you hear for a 100% white screen is normal.

The "vertically behind the black bar" probably is normal. As long as its no more than 1/4 inch wide, and it runs top to bottom.

If you want, download and burn this DVD calibration disc (its free).
Display a 100% full field white pattern, see if your issue shows.
Make sure your Blu Ray player settings are set to default. No enhancements.

ss
I understand that the links are settings for my VT60 but they don't have Color ones. In your note, there is mention of an 'eecolor box' so that's why I thought there might be some info in your report that could help find the Color settings to input.

The snow behind the black bar is the same color as the bottom one and it seems to be about 2 1/2 inches. It's too difficult to capture with my phone's camera so I'll try and take a good picture with my DSLR.

Thanks for the DVD link. I'm still wondering if it would be normal for this issue to show up just because of my settings, wouldn't that mean that it's a problem with the TV?

By the way, I'm trying to get an idea of what could cause this issue so that I can help Panasonic in resolving it because, after being misdiagnosed 2 times, I need to find the real cause myself.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I really don't know. Is it built in to the filter or glass? Being there are the cheaper plasma TVs that don't have anti reflective screens just the glass.

You might find this of interest:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/2008...#ixzz2Nlowa433
Old 01-16-2015, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
I understand that the links are settings for my VT60 but they don't have Color ones. In your note, there is mention of an 'eecolor box' so that's why I thought there might be some info in your report that could help find the Color settings to input.

The snow behind the black bar is the same color as the bottom one and it seems to be about 2 1/2 inches. It's too difficult to capture with my phone's camera so I'll try and take a good picture with my DSLR.

Thanks for the DVD link. I'm still wondering if it would be normal for this issue to show up just because of my settings, wouldn't that mean that it's a problem with the TV?

By the way, I'm trying to get an idea of what could cause this issue so that I can help Panasonic in resolving it because, after being misdiagnosed 2 times, I need to find the real cause myself.
This is what an eeBox does......

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 01-16-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A sure fire way to see it would be to pause the credits at the end of a movie then walk up to edge of the tv look across it. Also a flashlight test may show the gap too. Put a flashlight up against the screen shine light through it (kinda what Dr. larry webber did at the Value Electronics shootout) Also that was one of the big selling features bewtween the zt and vt no air gap and better filter that reflects light and makes black look blacker during daylight.
While this very well may happen but why would I do this if I cannot see the double image while watching from my normal viewing distance and angle? Oh well...I think you should return it or call Panasonic and get a tech to come out and fix it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
While this very well may happen but why would I do this if I cannot see the double image while watching from my normal viewing distance and angle? Oh well...I think you should return it or call Panasonic and get a tech to come out and fix it.
The gap is a non issue imo, the fact you have to go thru such gyrations to even make it visible says it all. Like so many other things here totally blown out of proportion.
dianebrat, mbroadus and eaayoung like this.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The gap is a non issue imo, the fact you have to go thru such gyrations to even make it visible says it all. Like so many other things here totally blown out of proportion.
Exactly!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a VT60 but would like to actually see one in person first. Any chance any one in Florida, preferably on the west coast, has one that I can have a look at? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
This is what an eeBox does......
Got it. There would not be a way to manually enter his color settings since they are being managed by his eeBox. I would need my own box in order to match his settings.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Knoetgen View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a VT60 but would like to actually see one in person first. Any chance any one in Florida, preferably on the west coast, has one that I can have a look at? Thanks.

Doubtful...Panasonic discontinued plasma last November and 99.9% have been purchased. Call dealers in the state to double check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / Velodyne CHT Front Row / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
Old 01-16-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the trail from black to white is 2 1/2 inch of snow, then there is something wrong with your VT60.
Maybe ask someone to also see if they see what you see.

Quote:
Yes settings can make that much of a difference.

Quote:
Yes I understand that, and that's why I had you run the sweeper. I am trying to rule out a external source problem.

Quote:
Got it. There would not be a way to manually enter his color settings since they are being managed by his eeBox. I would need my own box in order to match his settings.

Thanks for the info.
Because my color settings are so large (9800 color points) as where the VT60 can only store and process 6 color points, you need a external processor that can store and process these large 3DLUT calibration.

If you have a HTPC setup then all you would need is your HTPC to store and process this kind of calibration.

ss
Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
There is no reason for a tech to come out because there is no fix for an engineer intended design such as this. I agree with you all it is mostly a none issue you two can relax. If your TV is setup in such a way as you never have to walk past it you'll like never ever ever see it. The fact remains if you less than 20 degrees off the image can blur almost like ghosting in 3d. We love plasmas for many reason such as wide viewing angles but the vt suffers at extreme angles in ways other plasmas do not.
mbroadus likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
If the trail from black to white is 2 1/2 inch of snow, then there is something wrong with your VT60.
Maybe ask someone to also see if they see what you see.

Yes settings can make that much of a difference.

Yes I understand that, and that's why I had you run the sweeper. I am trying to rule out a external source problem.

Because my color settings are so large (9800 color points) as where the VT60 can only store and process 6 color points, you need a external processor that can store and process these large 3DLUT calibration.

If you have a HTPC setup then all you would need is your HTPC to store and process this kind of calibration.

ss
I just realized that, when the issue is present, it happens in certain Picture modes like THX Cinema, Professional 2 (with my current settings) and, funny enough, Custom (with your settings). It does not happen in the other modes.

I have a computer connected to my TV through HDMI. Even though it's not really being used as an HTPC, I can always experiment with color processing through it.

My Xbox One, with Verizon cable box passing through it, is my main player. I'm actually sending the Xbox through a Pioneer VSX-1121-K. The PC is connected directly. Don't know yet how much the Pioneer might be degrading PQ...or not (Nothing to do with my issue though since TV's YouTube app is also affected).
Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Almost as bad as my rant about the stands. I have to touch it to get it to wobble. But it does wobble if I touch it. Must of been having a bad day when I started that rant. I think it was the same day I returned from Caribbean vacation to to cold of Texas!

These TVs really are incredible IMO.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there some type of known issue with the panel become ultra sensitive to IR? I am at about the ~2100hrs mark on my VT60 and it seems that getting IR has been easier than ever. I feel like I have been babying the set as of late. Anyone heard of this?

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread