Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 529 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

post #15841 of 16691 Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responses. When I get home tonight I'll play around some more. I don't really pay attention to the quality of the TV picture when I watch cable or Netflix. I only really pay attention when I'm watching blu-rays b/c I expect them to be really good. I mean it's not the end of the world and I can live with the picture... it just seems strange though. The latest blu-ray I watched... with the kiddies... was Frozen. In fact the movie was on 4x in a row yesterday lol. When I get home later I'll play around with the settings some more. I think I need to get the TV off of Prof 1 (Best Buy calibrated) b/c some of the settings they made don't seem to make sense (e.g. Sharpness at 65). I'll probably just change it to THX Cinema. I'll make sure all of the enhancements are turned off on the TV and I'll check the blu-ray player.

I have everything going through the AVR right now. The blu-ray player HDMI is connected to the AVR and I only have one HDMI cable going to the TV. I'll try source direct and see if that does anything. Is it common to lose quality with everything running through the AVR?

Thanks all for the input!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15842 of 16691 Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm guessing this is normal for a plasma but figured I would ask. When there is a stationary object on the screen for about two minutes is it common for it to "stick" after you unfreeze the screen? I typically only notice this when I turn on Netflix and the screen turns red. For example I had a blu-ray running and it was stuck on the home screen menu for about two minutes. I then turned on Netflix and was able to easily see the outline from the screen before. It goes away over time though.

Is there a "rule of thumb" as to how long you should not have stationary objects on the screen?
post #15843 of 16691 Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by briang2408 View Post
I'm guessing this is normal for a plasma but figured I would ask. When there is a stationary object on the screen for about two minutes is it common for it to "stick" after you unfreeze the screen? I typically only notice this when I turn on Netflix and the screen turns red. For example I had a blu-ray running and it was stuck on the home screen menu for about two minutes. I then turned on Netflix and was able to easily see the outline from the screen before. It goes away over time though.

Is there a "rule of thumb" as to how long you should not have stationary objects on the screen?
Temporary IR in a plasma tv is normal. The IR usually goes away within a couple of minutes. With that said, I have 4 other Panasonic plasma tvs and have more IR problems with my ZT. But not so bad to be a deal breaker.
post #15844 of 16691 Old 03-06-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Temporary IR in a plasma tv is normal. The IR usually goes away within a couple of minutes. With that said, I have 4 other Panasonic plasma tvs and have more IR problems with my ZT. But not so bad to be a deal breaker.

And it really depends on the contrast level as well. If I play games on PS4 -usually at night- I pay attention not to go higher than ~30, because of the static HUD elements (like a tv channel logo).
Last time I got an IR that went away completely only after 4-5 days (but it was only visible on a test image with a homogeneous orange colour).

So yes, IR is 'normal' on plasmas, even on VT/ZT 60. They could never get rid of it.
Anyhow, this 'minus' is nothing compared to the 'positive' that the image quality provides.
post #15845 of 16691 Old 03-08-2015, 11:47 AM

i hooked up the bluray player directly to tv, tried all new cables and a different bluray player. Same result. With motion smoother off things look somewhat blurry when things are moving on screen. The credits at end of movies jump around as they move up the screen. Is it possible something is wrong with the tv?

Went to BB today and didn't notice this judder or whatever it is on those tvs. I know it shod be the opposite lol.
post #15846 of 16691 Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeeg View Post
And it really depends on the contrast level as well. If I play games on PS4 -usually at night- I pay attention not to go higher than ~30, because of the static HUD elements (like a tv channel logo).
Last time I got an IR that went away completely only after 4-5 days (but it was only visible on a test image with a homogeneous orange colour).

So yes, IR is 'normal' on plasmas, even on VT/ZT 60. They could never get rid of it.
Anyhow, this 'minus' is nothing compared to the 'positive' that the image quality provides.
This IR on ZT is different from all other Panasonic tv's I've owed. I hooked up my 54V10 today and not a hint of IR. But the picture can't compare to the ZT's.
post #15847 of 16691 Old 03-08-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone here have a copy of Noah? I watched this on bluray recently and noticed that in the dark scenes the black/grey areas seem to flash. Just quick fluctuations with a bit of noise. All the BR reviews state this is a flawless transfer with no noise/issues at all but I see this in my bedroom setup also. Just want to ensure it's the source before I go insane and play with all my settings.
post #15848 of 16691 Old 03-09-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
i hooked up the bluray player directly to tv, tried all new cables and a different bluray player. Same result. With motion smoother off things look somewhat blurry when things are moving on screen. The credits at end of movies jump around as they move up the screen. Is it possible something is wrong with the tv?

Went to BB today and didn't notice this judder or whatever it is on those tvs. I know it shod be the opposite lol.
Try a reset of your VT60. However you will loose any non factory settings. If you have settings you want to keep copy them down but don't input until you have done the below and tested to see if the issues are pretty well resolved. .
Then input the settings in my sig, link 1 or 2.
Make sure all the settings in your BD player are set to default. Set your BD player to output RGB video.

If you are still seeing the same issues then call Panasonic.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
Setup dispcalGUI, 2nd link settings for 65EF9500
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post35174522
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post39870898
post #15849 of 16691 Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Hi SS,

Thanks. Would I also lose the Prof 1 settings that BB calibrated for me? I probably wont use these settings anyway but just want to know.

Thanks,
Brian
post #15850 of 16691 Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Hi SS,

Thanks. Would I also lose the Prof 1 settings that BB calibrated for me? I probably wont use these settings anyway but just want to know.

Thanks,
Brian
Yes all settings will go back to there factory default.
You could copy BB settings down on paper and reenter them after the factory reset was done.

You will probably have to go into the menu and click on the ISF tab to open up your ISF modes (1&2).
Also turn off banner adds by clicking on that tab.

btw, I am not saying that your issues will go away completely, but should be much better.
Like what you saw at BB.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
Setup dispcalGUI, 2nd link settings for 65EF9500
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post35174522
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post39870898
post #15851 of 16691 Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 AM

Thanks again SS! I actually don't have the password BB used so I cannot get into the settings screen for Prof 1. Maybe if I call them perhaps they use the same standard password for everyone and they can tell me. If not I think I'm just going to reset it anyway.

I'll let you know what happens. Really appreciate it.

Brian
post #15852 of 16691 Old 03-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Hey when all of you are watching someone on your tv if you get like real close that you can see the pixel's do you notice they arent all staying the color that they show when closer.

I guess the best way I can describe it is, when I see a black screen while watching cable or even a 1080p bluray it isnt REALLY BLACK. Like it is super dark and it looks black but if I get close I see that the pixels are flipping between a bunch of colors.

Right now as I am watching cable on Fios I can see hte pixels are all freaking out but the picture still looks good.

It's annoying me though.
post #15853 of 16691 Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr3dict View Post
Right now as I am watching cable on Fios I can see hte pixels are all freaking out but the picture still looks good.

It's annoying me though.
How close are sitting to your tv? A little too close for the size of your tv?
post #15854 of 16691 Old 03-11-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Thanks again SS! I actually don't have the password BB used so I cannot get into the settings screen for Prof 1. Maybe if I call them perhaps they use the same standard password for everyone and they can tell me. If not I think I'm just going to reset it anyway.

I'll let you know what happens. Really appreciate it.

Brian
Default password is Info 0 8 5

Larry
post #15855 of 16691 Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
How close are sitting to your tv? A little too close for the size of your tv?
When I sit further away I don't see it. My normal sitting distance is fine, I'm just noticing it when I am examining the TV lol. its a 55 inch I sit about 8-9 feet away from the TV
post #15856 of 16691 Old 03-12-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm getting some jittery ticker tape movement as well - motion smoothness (and everything else) turned off. Sometimes it's smooth, but other times its jittery. But it's with a 480p signal, not HD. So the processor may be having trouble with the zoom feature upscaling to HD. In any event, when it kicks in, it's almost impossible to read the ticker tape. I'll have to test movie credits to see if it's happening with a Blu ray signal.

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #15857 of 16691 Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

ControlCal and the Viera Remote 2 app can change settings by communicating over a local network. Clearly, there must be some protocol for this. Is a protocol spec written down anywhere in a publicly available document or do I have to reverse-engineer this?

My goal: to write a Mac program that can change the TV's advanced picture settings. There is, afaik, no Mac OS X program that can currently do that.

I have tried getting the information from Panasonic, but that is proving difficult.

Thanks.
post #15858 of 16691 Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
ControlCal and the Viera Remote 2 app can change settings by communicating over a local network. Clearly, there must be some protocol for this. Is a protocol spec written down anywhere in a publicly available document or do I have to reverse-engineer this?

My goal: to write a Mac program that can change the TV's advanced picture settings. There is, afaik, no Mac OS X program that can currently do that.

I have tried getting the information from Panasonic, but that is proving difficult.

Thanks.
AFAIK, the only way to get this info would be through their developer program: http://developer.vieraconnect.com/
post #15859 of 16691 Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzo View Post
AFAIK, the only way to get this info would be through their developer program: http://developer.vieraconnect.com/

I'm on my phone, so easy to overlook something, but that seems dedicated to IPTV apps. Could that be a different thing? Panasonic did not point me to that program.

I'm getting the sense that it would be easier to run the above-mentioned programs through a disassembler or sniff packets off my local network etc. and reverse-engineer this. I am not unfamiliar with such techniques, but if there happened to be a more straightforward and conventional approach, I would choose that first.

I'll say in passing that these TV companies seem very closed compared to the software companies I am used to dealing with. Getting a sensible non-formulaic answer to almost any question seems close to impossible.
post #15860 of 16691 Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm guessing the command structure would be similar to the network interface on the commercial displays but the parameters would be slightly different, the last model which featured a full CMS was the VX300 so I would work off what is known about that

http://panasonic.ru/upload/professio...al_command.pdf
post #15861 of 16691 Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
I'm guessing the command structure would be similar to the network interface on the commercial displays but the parameters would be slightly different, the last model which featured a full CMS was the VX300 so I would work off what is known about that

http://panasonic.ru/upload/professio...al_command.pdf
Just about to check that, thanks.

I'm back on my computer now and with 'tcpdump' caught this:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1426668945

In case you're wondering: that is network packet sent by the Viera Remote phone app.
It looks like a "simple service discovery" protocol message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 08.50.25.png
Views:	189
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	610201  
post #15862 of 16691 Old 03-18-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think it's all exposed through a UPnP service, but there's no documentation on how to actually use it. Try playing around with cling workbench (http://4thline.org/projects/cling/workbench/); that should give you a good starting point.

Last edited by Evinyatar; 03-18-2015 at 05:48 AM.
post #15863 of 16691 Old 03-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I did stumble upon this thread a while back during my search:

http://forum.nomos-system.com/showthread.php?tid=671

Maybe you could find some help there.
post #15864 of 16691 Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Anyone know anywhere with stock on the 65" VT60?

Thanks!
post #15865 of 16691 Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Anyone know anywhere with stock on the 65" VT60?

Thanks!
I'd be stunned if you found one in stock, more stunned if you found it at anything other than an exorbitant price, they've been pretty much unavailable since last spring after production ceased.
post #15866 of 16691 Old 03-20-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Haven't posted here for a bit. Been spending most of my forum time discussing saltwater reef tanks but thought I would post a little follow up after spending some time with the Samsung F8500.

For these who don't know I owned a 65VT60 for almost a year and then got rid of it for a Samsung F8500.

Now having spent about 5 or so months with my F8500 I would say if I had to choose one it would be the VT60. Don't get me wrong, I like the F8500 but the VT60 was almost magically. I really appreciated the natural cinema look of the picture and it was just an all together different experience then the Samsung.

Also, I know people always looked at black level numbers and would say they are close and you cannot tell the difference unless they were next to each other but in a dim or dark room I think the VT60 really outshined the F8500. For me this is not that big of a deal since I watch at night on my projector but it is definitely noticeable. The VT60 really didn't glow in a black screen unless the room was really really dark where on the F8500 with even some dimmed lights the glow is pretty apparent.

Just wanted to give an update after spending some time with the F8500. I wouldn't say I regret the change because it was a good swap financially so for the money I pocketed in the swap I am OK with it but I do think the VT60 really was something special.
DavidHir likes this.
post #15867 of 16691 Old 03-21-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Haven't posted here for a bit. Been spending most of my forum time discussing saltwater reef tanks but thought I would post a little follow up after spending some time with the Samsung F8500.

For these who don't know I owned a 65VT60 for almost a year and then got rid of it for a Samsung F8500.

Now having spent about 5 or so months with my F8500 I would say if I had to choose one it would be the VT60. Don't get me wrong, I like the F8500 but the VT60 was almost magically. I really appreciated the natural cinema look of the picture and it was just an all together different experience then the Samsung.

Also, I know people always looked at black level numbers and would say they are close and you cannot tell the difference unless they were next to each other but in a dim or dark room I think the VT60 really outshined the F8500. For me this is not that big of a deal since I watch at night on my projector but it is definitely noticeable. The VT60 really didn't glow in a black screen unless the room was really really dark where on the F8500 with even some dimmed lights the glow is pretty apparent.

Just wanted to give an update after spending some time with the F8500. I wouldn't say I regret the change because it was a good swap financially so for the money I pocketed in the swap I am OK with it but I do think the VT60 really was something special.
Agreed. I think short of OLED, no flat panel on the market matches the VT/ZT60 black level and contrast performance. I too went the same route as you; I sold my 65VT60 to go front projection (although my JVC blacks are actually a bit better) and bought a Samsung 51F5300B which calibrates and measures the same as the F8500. It's a great display especially for the money and I too was very happy with the financial swap, but the blacks were so stable and deep on the VT60 in a dark room. It really makes me wonder what if Panasonic kept making and improving plasma and how a VT80 would look today.

post #15868 of 16691 Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Agreed. I think short of OLED, no flat panel on the market matches the VT/ZT60 black level and contrast performance. I too went the same route as you; I sold my 65VT60 to go front projection (although my JVC blacks are actually a bit better) and bought a Samsung 51F5300B which calibrates and measures the same as the F8500. It's a great display especially for the money and I too was very happy with the financial swap, but the blacks were so stable and deep on the VT60 in a dark room. It really makes me wonder what if Panasonic kept making and improving plasma and how a VT80 would look today.
Yeah, I remember having so many moments where I would just say wow while watching my VT60 which I don't find myself having with the F8500.

I could have had a lot more money in my pocket if I would have gone the F5300 route but figured since this TV pretty much became a full time daytime TV in a room that could get kind of bright I would splurge on the F8500. Blacks do look good during the day on it.

If the VT80 was the same exact TV as as the VT60 with the addition of 4K, I really wouldn't care if OLED ever became main stream, it would be good enough for me.
5150zx likes this.
post #15869 of 16691 Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
If the VT80 was the same exact TV as as the VT60 with the addition of 4K, I really wouldn't care if OLED ever became main stream, it would be good enough for me.
A VT80 with an all black screen that never lit up, I'd settle for that as well.
post #15870 of 16691 Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
It really makes me wonder what if Panasonic kept making and improving plasma and how a VT80 would look today.
Quote:
That was one of the nails in the coffin for plasma, it could not produce 4k resolution at anything near a feasible cost, they were already losing in cost of manufacturing so heavily to LCD that they could only sell to the high end buyer that preferred quality to cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page