Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 541 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 237Likes

Old 08-30-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
I realize I am 2 years late to be noticing this but the IR on the VT60 is significant. I notice anytime I am using any device setup menu, or browse my media player directories, or use my PS4 that static images remain for a little while? It does appear that anytime I've had IR either time or using the screen wipe for a few days usually gets rid of it, but it is probably the one negative I have against my VT60s.

I usually get worked up when I notice IR, but I have to remind myself that every instance I've encountered of IR was resolved over a few days or using screen wipe overnight.
I am still running the screen wipe because the the IR isn't completely gone. It is much better but still there.

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by -spawn- View Post
Hello guys. I found a 65vt60 plasma for 1450 us dolars. It's on 4000 hours no burns 1 year panasonic warranty remaining. Do you suggest me to rent a minivan(costs 50dolars) and take it from 400km.
I would....did you get it ?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
Not going to sell it! The disaster that is the lack of 4:4:4 (otherwise known as 1080p direct) on the EC9300 kills it for me.
I own a 55EC9300 and I can assure you it does 4:4:4 chroma, if anything it's the VT60 that can't resolve full 4:4:4. Even with pure direct enabled the chroma is vertically softened.

On the LG you just have to set the input label to PC (don't rename it, simply select PC) and it resolves full 4:4:4 chroma. I've tested it personally as I'm very sensitive to it, especially as I game a lot and seeing jaggy low res red and magenta text is a nightmare for me.

What kills the lg though is the shocking uniformity at the lower IRE of the greyscale. Yes the mll or rather lack of on the lg is great, but in "normal" viewing with a small basis light the blacks of the VT60 are so deep that I don't notice the difference.

The illusion obviously breaks in a pitch black room where I can see the phosphors glowing and blacks looking like a dark grey instead.
Dabois09 likes this.

Last edited by Jay AVF; 09-04-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay AVF View Post
I own a 55EC9300 and I can assure you it does 4:4:4 chroma, if anything it's the VT60 that can't resolve full 4:4:4. Even with pure direct enabled the chroma is vertically softened.

On the LG you just have to set the input label to PC (don't rename it, simply select PC) and it resolves full 4:4:4 chroma. I've tested it personally as I'm very sensitive to it, especially as I game a lot and seeing jaggy low res red and magenta text is a nightmare for me.

What kills the lg though is the shocking uniformity at the lower IRE of the greyscale. Yes the mll or rather lack of on the lg is great, but in "normal" viewing with a small basis light the blacks of the VT60 are so deep that I don't notice the difference.

The illusion obviously breaks in a pitch black room where I can see the phosphors glowing and blacks looking like a dark grey instead.
I've since purchased and have found your post to be true. I agree. I don't like doing night maps etc because of the IRE issues with banding.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
I've since purchased and have found your post to be true. I agree. I don't like doing night maps etc because of the IRE issues with banding.
It's a real shame about the uniformity, as I can see vertical banding on dark scenes. If the uniformity was better it would be as close to "perfect" as possible as its nice not having buzzing, line bleed, dithering etc.

Apologies also, at the time I quoted your post, I hadn't realised it was actually a couple of months ago that you had posted that
Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Vt60 owners. Is it worth it to get the vt60 pro calibrated? Also does, whoever calibrate the set matters?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekoy View Post
Vt60 owners. Is it worth it to get the vt60 pro calibrated? Also does, whoever calibrate the set matters?

A calibration makes a massive difference. A high end display deserves to be calibrated to get the most of it.

I'd also say that calibrators are certainly not equal regardless of whether they are thx or isf certified. I had a terrible experience with a calibrator a few years ago (I since calibrate myself with a meter and chromapure).

If you mention where you're located, people can give you some recommendations. There are some very good calibrators that are members of this forum and come highly recommended.

Last edited by Jay AVF; 09-04-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
A calibration makes a massive difference. A high end display deserves to be calibrated to get the most of it.

I'd also say that calibrator are certainly not equal. I had a terrible experience with a calibrator a few years ago (I since calibrate myself with a meter and chromapure).

If you mention where you're located, people can give you some recommendations. There are some very good calibrator that are members of this forum and come highly recommended.
Thanks. And for sure i don't want to experience get it pro calib. With bad results. I don't want to waste huge money for that. By any chance can you recommend me a decent calibrator in NYC area?thanks

Old 09-05-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Thanks. And for sure i don't want to experience get it pro calib. With bad results. I don't want to waste huge money for that. By any chance can you recommend me a decent calibrator in NYC area?thanks

Not sure if he travels that way, but contact Chad B - he's on the forum too. Highly recommended.
Chad B likes this.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:

Chad B calibrates my 60VT60 and he's been great. I would look for someone on the display calibration forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chad B likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4

Last edited by mbroadus; 09-05-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Chad did a great job on my ZT as well. Highly recommend Chad for calibrations.
Chad B likes this.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
It's a real shame about the uniformity, as I can see vertical banding on dark scenes. If the uniformity was better it would be as close to "perfect" as possible as its nice not having buzzing, line bleed, dithering etc.

Apologies also, at the time I quoted your post, I hadn't realised it was actually a couple of months ago that you had posted that
Even then though - the absolute blacks and higher peak brightness makes all the difference. Don't regret my switch one bit.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I will recommend Chad B as well
billmich and Chad B like this.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Try this guy for calibration - http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?p=13546130

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I also recommend Chad B did my 65vt60 and pioneer krp-500m
billmich likes this.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have owned my VT65 since 2013, and have enjoyed it immensely. However, I noticed a small box on the lower left portion of the screen last week, and it is indeed a logo burn-in. I tried the Screen Wipe and it did help, but it is still visible on blue sky or white backgrounds (which actually is not very often in practical terms). I do have a replacement warranty through Best Buy and they are coming out Thursday to look at the display. A few questions:

-Are there replacement panels still available...i.e. can BB try to fix the issue?
-If they offer a replacement, what should I consider?
-Should I even consider replacement and just live with it?

I did some research on new displays, and the only thing that really excites me is the discounted LG 55" OLED...but I am giving up 10" of screen. The only other feasible option would be the Vizio 70" M-Series, but I would almost rather keep my Panny than go back to LCD/LED.

Thoughts?

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Oppo BDP-103,Schiit Bifrost USB Uber DAC, MF V-LINK 192, Parasound P5
Maranttz SR-6010, EAD PM 1000 and PM 500 amplifiers
NHT 2.5i (2), NHT AC-1 (1), NHT 1.5 (2), PSB XA (4)
Rythmik F12 and Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofers
Old 09-09-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheatre View Post
I have owned my VT65 since 2013, and have enjoyed it immensely. However, I noticed a small box on the lower left portion of the screen last week, and it is indeed a logo burn-in. I tried the Screen Wipe and it did help, but it is still visible on blue sky or white backgrounds (which actually is not very often in practical terms). I do have a replacement warranty through Best Buy and they are coming out Thursday to look at the display. A few questions:

-Are there replacement panels still available...i.e. can BB try to fix the issue?
-If they offer a replacement, what should I consider?
-Should I even consider replacement and just live with it?

I did some research on new displays, and the only thing that really excites me is the discounted LG 55" OLED...but I am giving up 10" of screen. The only other feasible option would be the Vizio 70" M-Series, but I would almost rather keep my Panny than go back to LCD/LED.

Thoughts?
I have been battling the IR demons for the last 3 weeks. I came home from vacation to find the VT60 on and my AVR on the network screen. I have no idea how it turned on and for how long. The IR was very pronounced and I started using the Screen wipe and this week switched to the Disney WOW video pixel flipper and that has made a significate difference in practically removing the IR completely.

As for moving to a different display, at this time the only thing that I would consider is the LG or the future Panasonic OLED, but as you stated the 10" difference and the prices at this time are too high. I love the picture on the VT60 and if I am able to remove the IR I will get it professionally calibrated and keep it until the OLED prices go down to more affordable levels.

For your IR I would try the Disney WOW video Pixel flipper it does help. JT

My set up
Old 09-10-2015, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post
I have been battling the IR demons for the last 3 weeks. I came home from vacation to find the VT60 on and my AVR on the network screen. I have no idea how it turned on and for how long. The IR was very pronounced and I started using the Screen wipe and this week switched to the Disney WOW video pixel flipper and that has made a significate difference in practically removing the IR completely.

As for moving to a different display, at this time the only thing that I would consider is the LG or the future Panasonic OLED, but as you stated the 10" difference and the prices at this time are too high. I love the picture on the VT60 and if I am able to remove the IR I will get it professionally calibrated and keep it until the OLED prices go down to more affordable levels.

For your IR I would try the Disney WOW video Pixel flipper it does help. JT
Thanks for the response. Question: how long did you run the Screen Wipe? Will looks into the Pixel Flipper, too.

I went to BB today just to get an idea if I could live with an OLED at 55"...maybe. It is that good. God, I wish the 65" models were cheaper I was an early adopter of LCD back in 2004; spent $4,000 on a 32" Sharp Never again. However, OLED at 65" is ALMOST worth it to me.

Still, when I came home last night and turned on the VT65 I have no itching need to upgrade; it is THAT good. Probably will end up keeping the Pioneer.

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Old 09-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Geek Squad just left. They put in an order for a replacement panel, but I am doubtful as to it's availability. They are scheduled to come out on the 23rd for installation; however, I think that BB will be calling me before then to advise me it's no longer available.

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Geek Squad just left. They put in an order for a replacement panel, but I am doubtful as to it's availability. They are scheduled to come out on the 23rd for installation; however, I think that BB will be calling me before then to advise me it's no longer available.
I've also request a replacement panel from geek squad last year for my 60vt60. They came to my house and order a replacement panel. After that few weeks called me telling that they could not find a replacement panel anymore. Wanted to give my money back plus the gs warranty. I told them i will keep the set which i bought it for only $800.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quick Update: I ran the Pixel Flipper off the WOW disc all day yesterday, and it greatly lessened the IR. Still there, but better. Going to be a tough decision; there are no $2,300 (the price I paid) 65" displays right now that equal the VT65, imo.

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Quick Update: I ran the Pixel Flipper off the WOW disc all day yesterday, and it greatly lessened the IR. Still there, but better. Going to be a tough decision; there are no $2,300 (the price I paid) 65" displays right now that equal the VT65, imo.
I've got persistent IR cause by a channel logo on the lower right corner of my ZT. At first, I found the IR really annoying. However, I've gotten to the point that I don't really notice it anymore since I can't see it unless a solid background is displayed. If the IR on your set is like mine, I think you'll eventually learned to live with it.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I've got persistent IR cause by a channel logo on the lower right corner of my ZT. At first, I found the IR really annoying. However, I've gotten to the point that I don't really notice it anymore since I can't see it unless a solid background is displayed. If the IR on your set is like mine, I think you'll eventually learned to live with it.
It's exactly like that except that I also have a thin line running across the bottom of the screen (where the news/scores scroll across).

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It has made a big difference on my VT60.

My set up
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 AM

Liked: 16
It's been awhile since I posted

I've still got a VT60 that I love but has some minor burn in from Destiny. Stupid DEV using a horrible HUD.

Anyways, it's covered under my extended warranty which I have another year or so left of to get my full value back towards another TV.

Has anything come out yet to surpass this TV that's awesome for gaming, HDTV and Blu Ray?

I keep reading horror stories about OLED having just as bad if not worse burn in and screen bleeding. LED seems jerky in fast paced sports and movies and LED I find has lots of ghosting which is why I went to Plasma.

Anyone who's gone from this epic set to something else and been super happy that can recommend something I'd be super grateful.

Wish Plasma was still around.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post
Has anything come out yet to surpass this TV that's awesome for gaming, HDTV and Blu Ray?
I have not heard of anything "yet" that surpasses the VT60 for PQ. If I had to buy tomorrow, I would be looking at the Sony XBR-65X930C.

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I have not heard of anything "yet" that surpasses the VT60 for PQ. If I had to buy tomorrow, I would be looking at the Sony XBR-65X930C.
A lot of people are eyeballing the LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 to see how they stand up to the issues of the previous generation OLED and they are also flat so the non-curve crowd should like them. So far the jury is still out whether they are the new image quality king or if they still have the same issues as previous models.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
A lot of people are eyeballing the LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 to see how they stand up to the issues of the previous generation OLED and they are also flat so the non-curve crowd should like them. So far the jury is still out whether they are the new image quality king or if they still have the same issues as previous models.
True...I'm keeping an eye on the Panasonic CZ950 OLED UHDTV but the darn thing is curved. Suppose to be the only OLED TV that's THX Certified. I believe I heard the panels are made by LG but don't quote me on it.

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 09-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Until 65" OLED gets into the $3-$4k range it's an academic argument for me. FALD sets seem to be the only affordable alternative, but none of them can match the VT60 in overall pq, imo. Or am I wrong?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Until 65" OLED gets into the $3-$4k range it's an academic argument for me. FALD sets seem to be the only affordable alternative, but none of them can match the VT60 in overall pq, imo. Or am I wrong?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I believe you're correct....still believe with the current prices of OLED, if you have the room and can control ambient lighting, a projector is a great option. Maybe not for everyday watching to the news or regular programming.

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv