Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 549 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #16441 of 16516 Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hi.i notice something yesterday when watching the exorcist just before the doctro is going to hypnotize linda blair or regan,just before it showes a black screen in this screen green noise pixal thingy appears.what is that?it dont showe this in the black bars,but if i turn down brightness to +3 it goes away.i have set brightness with hd rec709 and then its at +8.

Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Klipsch RF-62 Mk1-Onkyo TX-NR616-Panasonic DMP-BDT110-Pioneer BDP-120-Xbox 360 250GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16442 of 16516 Old 02-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Question for you all...

So I have had my 60VT60 set up for a about a week now. I use the THX Cinema setting and have tweaked it slightly with my Spears and Munsil blu ray.

The problem I seem to be having is that I do not like how it looks when using it as my PC monitor. The text is just hard to read.

I have my BD player, DVR, and PC all connected to my Denon 3312 via HDMI, and then HDMI to the VT60. I am happy with how the blu rays and DVR look, just not the PC.

I'm hoping it is just a setting I have missed somewhere, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Prior to the VT60, I had a 54V10 plasma connected the exact same way, and the text was much better on my V10. (I was using the THX setting on my V10 as well)

Basically, black text looks bluish and over-sharpened, for lack of a better word.

I ran a 2nd HDMI cable from my 3312 so I could look at both displays simultaneously, and it is an obvious difference.

I took a couple pics to show you what I mean. I combined them into one, the VT60 is on the right.

Sharpness is set to 0 on both displays.

Any ideas on how to make this better?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Text comparison.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	1243825  

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #16443 of 16516 Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I own a 65vt60 in perfect condition. I recently got an offer from someone for $2,200. Should I sell it? I watch tv with lights on and I thought the panny could be a little brighter. UHD led is very tempting.. Any recommendation for replacement at or below $2,200?
post #16444 of 16516 Old 02-11-2016, 02:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester View Post
Question for you all...

So I have had my 60VT60 set up for a about a week now. I use the THX Cinema setting and have tweaked it slightly with my Spears and Munsil blu ray.

The problem I seem to be having is that I do not like how it looks when using it as my PC monitor. The text is just hard to read.

I have my BD player, DVR, and PC all connected to my Denon 3312 via HDMI, and then HDMI to the VT60. I am happy with how the blu rays and DVR look, just not the PC.

I'm hoping it is just a setting I have missed somewhere, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Prior to the VT60, I had a 54V10 plasma connected the exact same way, and the text was much better on my V10. (I was using the THX setting on my V10 as well)

Basically, black text looks bluish and over-sharpened, for lack of a better word.

I ran a 2nd HDMI cable from my 3312 so I could look at both displays simultaneously, and it is an obvious difference.

I took a couple pics to show you what I mean. I combined them into one, the VT60 is on the right.

Sharpness is set to 0 on both displays.

Any ideas on how to make this better?

Thanks.
You might try enabling Pure Direct, as it is called on the UK models. There are also Graphics and Photos modes for the HDMI Content Type setting, which again might be worth a try.
post #16445 of 16516 Old 02-11-2016, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveAnthony View Post
Hey guys. I own a 65vt60 in perfect condition. I recently got an offer from someone for $2,200. Should I sell it? I watch tv with lights on and I thought the panny could be a little brighter. UHD led is very tempting.. Any recommendation for replacement at or below $2,200?
My 65VT60 died last fall and I ended up getting a Sony 4K and returned it. I finally a Samsung 65JS8500 and though the TV has a great picture, you can't beat the VT's blacks and off center viewing. The only one the matches the VT in my eyes is the LG OLED, but at $5000, it's too rich for me now. If my VT hadn't died I would not have. Moved to 4k yet. But $2200 is a good price and you would be half way to the OLED. Something to consider.

JT

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096

Last edited by jnnt29; 02-11-2016 at 06:33 AM. Reason: clarification
post #16446 of 16516 Old 02-11-2016, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm so glad I got one of the last VT65s 18 months ago, no issues and a great PQ, I wouldn't swap it for anything out there right now.

Panasonic TXP65VT65B
post #16447 of 16516 Old 02-12-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
You might try enabling Pure Direct, as it is called on the UK models. There are also Graphics and Photos modes for the HDMI Content Type setting, which again might be worth a try.
Thanks. I thought I tried all the different HDMI content type settings, but I didn't try "Off".

HDMI Content Type set to OFF fixed the PC text for me.
fluxo likes this.

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #16448 of 16516 Old 02-12-2016, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hi i currently have a Panasonic tc-p65s1. It has the black level fix on it. I might have the option to get a 65in VT60. Is thr black level really that much better. I know when I display a full black screen in the dark my tv glows a very dark grey (before the fix it was light grey). It the VT60 that much better in the dark. Would someone be able to post a picture of the tv displaying a black screen in the dark. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Joe
post #16449 of 16516 Old 02-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 57
A picture won't tell you anything, your eyes only will. Besides seeing for yourself in real world, you have no options.
post #16450 of 16516 Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joez7700 View Post
Hi i currently have a Panasonic tc-p65s1. It has the black level fix on it. I might have the option to get a 65in VT60. Is thr black level really that much better. I know when I display a full black screen in the dark my tv glows a very dark grey (before the fix it was light grey). It the VT60 that much better in the dark. Would someone be able to post a picture of the tv displaying a black screen in the dark. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Joe
Hi Joe,
I don't have a picture for you, but my recent experience should help you out.

I bought a 60VT60 less than 2 weeks ago. It replaced a Panasonic 54V10 plasma. I believe the V10 is the same year as your S1? The V10 had black level fix on it as well - I didn't buy Dane's device, I just reset with an Arduino every few months.

I had both displays set up in my room for a time running the same signal that was split from my AVR.

The difference in the black levels between the 2 displays was laughable. I even started quoting Spinal Tap (How much more black could this be?) to the confused look on my wife's face. The VT60 was so much blacker than the V10 it seemed as though there was something wrong with the V10... it just looked gray.

post #16451 of 16516 Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Thanks. I thought I tried all the different HDMI content type settings, but I didn't try "Off".

HDMI Content Type set to OFF fixed the PC text for me.

Before I applied the latest firmware update HDMI Content Type on Graphics produced very severe sharpening artifacts. It no longer does so.

I found this:

"The HDMI Specification Version 1.4 enables simple, automated picture setting selection with no user intervention. The Content Type feature enables a display to auto-select the correct viewing mode to match the content type it is currently receiving from a source device, and to switch modes when a new content source is selected. Content Type supports content profiles for gaming, movie, photograph, and text viewing modes."

Source: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...tent_type.aspx

Presumably the Graphics option on the VT60 is for the text viewing mode. I noticed in the ZT manual that the game mode option toggles between the movie and the game viewing modes - if I'm interpreting it right.
Steve Kuester likes this.
post #16452 of 16516 Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM

Bummer, I have a stuck red pixel.

I just bought my 60VT60 a couple weeks ago. I have never noticed the pixel while watching real content, but if I look for 5-10 seconds on a white screen I can usually find it. (I sit 8 feet away from the screen) I'm not terribly concerned, just because I think it would be close to impossible to see during normal content. But I know it is there, and that kind of bugs me, you know?

The TV still has less than 250 hours on it.

I've run jscreenfix.com on it twice for 30 minutes each time with no luck.

My questions are this...

1. Are there any other pixel fixing patterns I should try other than jscreenfix? (I assume they all work the same way)

2. Would pumping up the screen to vivid, full contrast help while running jscreenfix or another program? (I watch the set with the lower contrast THX mode)

3. Given the very low hours of the panel, is this something that could just somehow go away on it's own over time?

4. Do I continue to try to run some pixel fixing pattern, or does the fact that I have already tried a couple times mean that it won't work?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post #16453 of 16516 Old 02-17-2016, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Bummer, I have a stuck red pixel.

I just bought my 60VT60 a couple weeks ago. I have never noticed the pixel while watching real content, but if I look for 5-10 seconds on a white screen I can usually find it. (I sit 8 feet away from the screen) I'm not terribly concerned, just because I think it would be close to impossible to see during normal content. But I know it is there, and that kind of bugs me, you know?

The TV still has less than 250 hours on it.

I've run jscreenfix.com on it twice for 30 minutes each time with no luck.

My questions are this...

1. Are there any other pixel fixing patterns I should try other than jscreenfix? (I assume they all work the same way)

2. Would pumping up the screen to vivid, full contrast help while running jscreenfix or another program? (I watch the set with the lower contrast THX mode)

3. Given the very low hours of the panel, is this something that could just somehow go away on it's own over time?

4. Do I continue to try to run some pixel fixing pattern, or does the fact that I have already tried a couple times mean that it won't work?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
1. There is no such thing as stuck pixels in plasma. It's dead.

2. I'm 100% sure that one of the green sub-pixels died, and because of that the red subpixel stands out more now without green to counter balance it.

3. Using plasma display to display PC environment increases the chance of blowing up a subpixel. If you insist on using your VT60 as PC display, try switching windows theme to High Contrast Theme... like this

2x 50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (retired)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration
post #16454 of 16516 Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
1. There is no such thing as stuck pixels in plasma. It's dead.

2. I'm 100% sure that one of the green sub-pixels died, and because of that the red subpixel stands out more now without green to counter balance it.

3. Using plasma display to display PC environment increases the chance of blowing up a subpixel. If you insist on using your VT60 as PC display, try switching windows theme to High Contrast Theme... like this
Thanks for the reply. Could you please elaborate on your point #3? I have never heard that using a plasma as a PC display can damage the display. (Other than the possible IR) I used my last plasma (V10) as a PC display as well. I would say definitely less than 10% of the on hours are PC use.

What causes the increased chance of damaging a subpixel? I'd be interested in whatever you can share.

thanks,
steve

post #16455 of 16516 Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Could you please elaborate on your point #3? I have never heard that using a plasma as a PC display can damage the display. (Other than the possible IR) I used my last plasma (V10) as a PC display as well. I would say definitely less than 10% of the on hours are PC use.

What causes the increased chance of damaging a subpixel? I'd be interested in whatever you can share.

thanks,
steve

The following is completely anecdotal.....

In January 2015 I bought a lighly used Pioneer Elite 111FD. Before taking it home I really really made sure that there's no blown subpixels. I felt like I'm in heaven when I finally got the 111FD and started watching blurays and occationally use it as a PC monitor (with HDMI connection, resolution @ 1080p). To my dismay, I discovered a blown green subpixel, and another green subpixel that blinks like every 5 seconds.

As to why this happened, my theory is that the RGB settings were not "in-sync". The display was set to RGB 16-235 but my video player has no setting to change RGB range (I assume it's fixed at 0-255, because I notice really really bright whites and crushed blacks). Another theory I have is that running in PC windows environment.

2x 50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (retired)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration
post #16456 of 16516 Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Hi Joe,
I don't have a picture for you, but my recent experience should help you out.

I bought a 60VT60 less than 2 weeks ago. It replaced a Panasonic 54V10 plasma. I believe the V10 is the same year as your S1? The V10 had black level fix on it as well - I didn't buy Dane's device, I just reset with an Arduino every few months.

I had both displays set up in my room for a time running the same signal that was split from my AVR.

The difference in the black levels between the 2 displays was laughable. I even started quoting Spinal Tap (How much more black could this be?) to the confused look on my wife's face. The VT60 was so much blacker than the V10 it seemed as though there was something wrong with the V10... it just looked gray.

I agree!! But, my V10 still looks pretty good to me.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
post #16457 of 16516 Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
my vt60 is used exclusively with my HTPC and I have had no issues... Although I am running 16-235 in my videocard settings.

My only problem has been some image retention from a videogame, but since noticing it I haven't touched that game since. It took months for it to go away, but I can't see it anymore.

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon x2000 | EMP E55Ti | E56Ci | E55Wi | PSA XS30 x2
post #16458 of 16516 Old 02-19-2016, 07:26 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One bad subpixel on a different brand monitor does not make the VT60 unusable as a PC monitor.
I use mine MOSTLY as a PC monitor; and I have no problems at all.
Of course, I did have to make a few changes to avoid IR.
VT60's work just fine and make fantastic PC monitors; also very good for photo editing.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #16459 of 16516 Old 02-19-2016, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for suggestions from anyone in regards to my ZT65. The protective glass is coming un-glued front the bottom right . 1/4" or so only on the bottom right. I can press it back and it stays stuck for an hour or so . Anyone know if it is ruined? it's the "studio master panel" with an airless gap between the panel and the protective glass. Now that the seal is broken I'm concerned I've lost picture quality. The picture still looks fine but I think it was better. Panasonic sent out a repair man which suggested a new panel . However. Panasonic doesn't have any available in parts. I won't except an LED replacement tv. Which is why I'm posting here. Anyone know about this panel and does it have to be air tight vacuum? Thanks in advance and. Sorry if I thread jacked anyone. Two pics below showing the difference between the top and where it's separating .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455949193135.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1266249   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455949288511.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1266257  
post #16460 of 16516 Old 02-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexman100 View Post
Looking for suggestions from anyone in regards to my ZT65. The protective glass is coming un-glued front the bottom right . 1/4" or so only on the bottom right. I can press it back and it stays stuck for an hour or so . Anyone know if it is ruined? it's the "studio master panel" with an airless gap between the panel and the protective glass. Now that the seal is broken I'm concerned I've lost picture quality. The picture still looks fine but I think it was better. Panasonic sent out a repair man which suggested a new panel . However. Panasonic doesn't have any available in parts. I won't except an LED replacement tv. Which is why I'm posting here. Anyone know about this panel and does it have to be air tight vacuum? Thanks in advance and. Sorry if I thread jacked anyone. Two pics below showing the difference between the top and where it's separating .
Post this in the ZT thread. But can't tell from the photo. If like my ZT, leave it alone and don't worry about it.
post #16461 of 16516 Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There were quite a few posts about this issue in the ZT threads in the last couple of years. Seems to be more of aesthetic concern ultimately as opposed to anything that is going to affect picture quality; I don't recall anyone ever reporting the issue to have spread beyond the bezel/corner and into display area. I'd not aggravate the issue by repeatedly trying to realign by applying pressure though. Most seem to have decided to just live with it.

(Try searching "glass" or "glass separation" etc. in the zt thread.)
post #16462 of 16516 Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
VT60 and DTS-HD

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 65VT60 and tried the dlna server which I am impressed with. My only issue is the sound comes out of the tv speakers and not my pioneer vsx-1125. My tv is mounted so I can't see behind it, so I am hoping someone here can help.

Im assuming there is a digital audio out on the back so I could run one of those cables to the receiver, but would I get DTS-HD sound out of it?

and will the panasonic even decode that to the receiver?

Is there an ARC port (if so which one) and would I be able to use that instead of a fiber optic cable?

most of my movies are in dts so being able to listen to them in that format is important to me. Plus, as most of you with home theatres know, once you hear the sound through your home theater, there really is no going back.

Any help on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks guys!
post #16463 of 16516 Old 02-20-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Optical will work but not with HD codecs.
Try to use ARC on HDMI 2 (I think), it's written in the manual.
post #16464 of 16516 Old 02-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
thanks for the info. Hopefully it is a similar issue. I will post in the ZT forum. FYI, i also have a 60VT w/ no issues at all. I will not part with either!
post #16465 of 16516 Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexman100 View Post
thanks for the info. Hopefully it is a similar issue. I will post in the ZT forum. FYI, i also have a 60VT w/ no issues at all. I will not part with either!
I just posted a response over in the ZT thread. Common problem. Mine is no different. And I wouldn't part with mine either!
post #16466 of 16516 Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I have a Panasonic 50VT60 and just recently I ordered a i1Display Pro from Amazon.de, I'm a noob in calibrating TVs usings meters, I read that if I have a profile for plasma I would had better results, do you guys have profiles for plasma Tvs that I can use with Calman 5?
post #16467 of 16516 Old 02-26-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 184
You will have much better luck for getting an answer if you ask that question in the CalMan calibration thread here.

Larry
post #16468 of 16516 Old 03-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't updated my firmware since I got this in January of 14th, and I would have grabbed whatever was current at the time.

Has there been any updates since then?

Anything important worth upgrading for, if so?

And if I did, would it flash/wipe all my custom pq settings that I painstakingly entered for my different inputs based on Dnice and other's recommended settings?
post #16469 of 16516 Old 03-21-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Has anyone else here experienced their VT60 powering itself down at random times? My 65VT60 will turn itself off for no apparent reason 3-4 times per day. I don't think overheating is the issue (wide open cooled space). When it happens, the TV can be turned back without issue and will usually stay on for 1-3 hours before it turns itself off again.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #16470 of 16516 Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sounds like one of the boards in the back is failing. I had a similar issue with my F8500 and Samsung had to replace several boards X,Y before the issue was resolved.

This is a reminder why I bought a VT60 that came with a Geek Squad warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

taboola here