Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 557 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

post #16681 of 16698 Old 08-19-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheavman View Post
Today I was told I would need to replace my VT60. It's a dark day.
It has burn in and loud wobbly fan noise which I dealt with for awhile and now an issue where horizontal lines or boxes will streak outside of their image across the rest of the TV.

I use to install and calibrate AV systems and did some home automation so I like to think that I can appreciate a good picture. I've been out of that game for almost 5 years and no longer have access to calibration software. However those capabilities/metrics are important to me in a new TV.
I've not been given any comparable models yet and do not know anything about what is available now. I need help choosing the best TV for the replacement. Here are the details:

My VT60 is mounted on a wall between two martin logans that has an available width of 62" for the new TV before I have to rerun the wires and patch holes to move them up to a max of 82" apart.
I sit about 13 feet away in a recliner that looks up about 5 degree angle (maybe less). Behind me to the southeast are 5 windows but I mostly only watch it at night.
I mostly watch TV or Movies on my Kodi Media center or youtube/netflix. I have charter cable that I think I will cancel (again) and sometimes play xbox 360 or PC games (much less than I used to). I don't have or own a Blu ray player and probably never will.
I have a pioneer elite VSX-51 that everything feeds through and an MX1200 to control it.
I like the Panasonic discretes I was able to use on the remote.
only about 75% of the content I watch is 1080. My media center uses a nvidia GTX 560 TI.
The rest of the family mostly watches netflix from a chrome browser or cartoons and they often forget to turn it off.
I've used Skype on the TV a handful of times but otherwise do not care about any apps or features besides picture quality.
I don't care about 3D.
I don't care much about phone apps and would rarely use any form of mobile device mirroring.
I don't care much about 4k.
I don't care for light sensors, deep color xvycc or anything that would cause an inaccurate unpure picture than it already is.

I do care about:
SD to HD scaling nicely
color temp accuracy across all IRE levels.
0 under over scan issues
decent gamma adjustments for a nice day and night mode
decent black level settings without glowing, snow/noise, halo's, while being able to see dark scene detail.
proper frame rate while moving
motion jitter or blur being as clean as it can but without fancy settings that make other things worse.
things that I don't know or understand that would make the TV "better" that are out now.

I'm on a budget an won't be able to purchase more TV than the warranty exchange allows.
I really hope they don't throw a box at me worth $500 bucks and say "this one is 1080p; it will do!"

What TV would you Recommend

I had the same thing happen. My 65 VT60 gave up the ghost. I had a square trade warranty and they wanted to give a Sony 1080p set that was no where near the quality of the VT60. I requested that they give me a check and let me select my own TV. Squad trade gave me a check for the full purchase price of the VT60 and purchased a Samsung 65js8500. It has a very good picture head on but washes out off angle. But that's with most led/lcds. The. Only thing I have seen that is beats the plasma is the LG OLEDs. Too rich for my blood. I do miss my VT60 though. Good luck. JT

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16682 of 16698 Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone notice improvements with the firwmare? I'm updating right now. For me wireless has never worked well with Asus routers. We've had 3 routers in the past few years (Asus AC66, N66, and now AC68). Connection always drops after a few days. I ended up resorting to a ethernet cable.
post #16683 of 16698 Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo580 View Post
Anyone notice improvements with the firwmare? I'm updating right now. For me wireless has never worked well with Asus routers. We've had 3 routers in the past few years (Asus AC66, N66, and now AC68). Connection always drops after a few days. I ended up resorting to a ethernet cable.
Not really noticing improvements, but do see a new bug. Anyone else having issues with the screensaver coming on every like 5 minutes while using an app? Seems to not know that it is actually being used. Can't find anything in the settings to turn it off. Doesn't seem to affect Netflix, but very annoying while using wwe network. Haven't tested other apps. Have a ps4 and no issues with that, so will just stop using it since the conveince factor is negated by this bug.
post #16684 of 16698 Old 08-21-2016, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to bonzo2014
Has any VT60 owner used the Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC) with the VT60? I'm waitlisted for one but will be waiting until NOV/DEC to receive it and test out the line-triple function.
post #16685 of 16698 Old 08-21-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Any owners here using a Darbee for 1080i and 1080p sources?

I'm 95% satisfied with my calibrated picture settings but the other 5% of the time is when sources, even 1080p Blurays, seem to manifest a tad too much film grain and/or noise in the background (compared to watching the same content on a Sony LED TV). I know film grain is not a fault of the TV but was curious if adding a Darbee with subtle settings would help not only sharpen the picture a little but lessen such background noise and grain?

Thanks!
post #16686 of 16698 Old 08-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

I'm 95% satisfied with my calibrated picture settings but the other 5% of the time is when sources, even 1080p Blurays, seem to manifest a tad too much film grain and/or noise in the background (compared to watching the same content on a Sony LED TV). I know film grain is not a fault of the TV but was curious if adding a Darbee with subtle settings would help not only sharpen the picture a little but lessen such background noise and grain?

Thanks!
I use a darbee 5100 with my ZT60 and I absolutely love it. As good as the ZT is by itself, the darbee adds a little more pop to the image. I keep it between 35 and 45 percent depending on what content I'm watching. It really shines with blu rays, gaming and 1080p streaming like netflix,vudu,etc. Having the darbee in my chain is one of reasons I am in no hurry to upgrade right now. Also want to add that it's a natural look that doesn't harm the image as long as you keep the percentage within reason.
post #16687 of 16698 Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
I use a darbee 5100 with my ZT60 and I absolutely love it. As good as the ZT is by itself, the darbee adds a little more pop to the image. I keep it between 35 and 45 percent depending on what content I'm watching. It really shines with blu rays, gaming and 1080p streaming like netflix,vudu,etc. Having the darbee in my chain is one of reasons I am in no hurry to upgrade right now. Also want to add that it's a natural look that doesn't harm the image as long as you keep the percentage within reason.
Thanks! About to pull the trigger on one. Seems like it will help "extend" the life of my 1080p image as I am in no hurry to jump to HDR until it settles a little more.
Sonyboy likes this.
post #16688 of 16698 Old 08-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Thanks! About to pull the trigger on one. Seems like it will help "extend" the life of my 1080p image as I am in no hurry to jump to HDR until it settles a little more.
Nice! Looking forward to your impressions once you get it set up.
post #16689 of 16698 Old 08-21-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

In the meantime, does anyone use the built-in Noise Reduction setting on the Panny? I leave all the other stuff off for a pure picture but was curious if using a Low or Med setting for NR has any positives that might outweigh negatives?

Right now I'm using Med for my ISF Day profile and Low for my ISF Night profile but can't quite seem to see any difference in higher quality content...I guess it would only truly help in low quality/SD material?
post #16690 of 16698 Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Thanks!
I bought a Darblet and used it for a couple of weeks and returned it...couldn't tell that much of a difference in PQ with any of my sources to justify the price.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #16691 of 16698 Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, i have a 55VT60 tv, is there any way to put the tv reading m3u lists to iptv service? or any app in panasonic market apps?
Thanks
post #16692 of 16698 Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo580 View Post
Let me know if it caused any troubles with your Viera Link/HDMI Control. Every since it updated, I can't get ARC to work with my Yamaha RX-A820.
post #16693 of 16698 Old 09-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anymore comments on the newest firmware for the TC-P65VT60? It prompted me but i skipped until i could see what the firmware was for
post #16694 of 16698 Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinobyte View Post
anymore comments on the newest firmware for the TC-P65VT60? It prompted me but i skipped until i could see what the firmware was for
The only information that Panasonic provided for the firmware update was "improve network functions". After installing the new firmware, I could not see any difference at all in the TV. I have yet to see a post where the new firmware helped anyone.

If you install it, don't expect to see much difference compared to the old firmware.
post #16695 of 16698 Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
The only information that Panasonic provided for the firmware update was "improve network functions". After installing the new firmware, I could not see any difference at all in the TV. I have yet to see a post where the new firmware helped anyone.

If you install it, don't expect to see much difference compared to the old firmware.
I was actually concerned it would break something. honestly I have not noticed any problems and was surprised to see an update
post #16696 of 16698 Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinobyte View Post
I was actually concerned it would break something. honestly I have not noticed any problems and was surprised to see an update
After 3 years with no updates, I was also surprised to see a firmware update. I applied the firmware update because I reasoned that something must have been important enough for Panasonic to put in the effort to release the new firmware after all this time.

I doubt the new firmware will break anything, but on the other hand, I can not see what the new firmware accomplished. I see no changes at all. If anyone figures out what "improves network functions" does, please let us know!
post #16697 of 16698 Old 09-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Is it possible to revert to an earlier firmware version than the one currently installed?

Thanks.
post #16698 of 16698 Old 09-15-2016, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo2014 View Post
Has any VT60 owner used the Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC) with the VT60? I'm waitlisted for one but will be waiting until NOV/DEC to receive it and test out the line-triple function.
I use a Framemeister with mine and love that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page