Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 564 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 254Likes

post #16891 of 16912 Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've fired Skype on my moms vt60 and got message that Skype will be ended June 30th. What gives... Last year sammy disabled Skype on their TVs equipped with camera and now pany....

Anyone knows the name of the app where you can jog and show google street map view? It was mentione by the store in HDTV shootout 2013 I believe. I wasn't able to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16892 of 16912 Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
That's not bad. You didn't do terribly or anything. My vt60 was $200 less but has double the hours and probably was used a little less gently (family with little children).

I don't regret it or anything but have started to wonder how quickly Pannies dim in general. Having owned 2 Pioneers, I know they take a LOT more time to dim considerably than the ~7000 hours on my VT60 so it may just come down to panel variance.

It was noticeably dimmer than the 60gt50 I picked up and subsequently sold that had close to 4k hours. I'd always heard conflicting reports on the brightness of the 2012s vs 2013s but figured the truth was that the VT60 was only marginally, if any, brighter than its predecessor and the st and gt lines were brighter because of the less aggressive filter. It's going over a mantle in the new apartment and vertical viewing angle dims it further so I'm not unsure it was the best choice (as much as I personally love the PQ in a dim/dark room...guests may think it looks dim)

My 65ST50 is significantly more brighter than the 55VT65 I had. My ST50 is as bright as my Pioneer LX5090 in normal picture mode. I've also seen a 65VT50 which also looked a fair bit dimmer than my ST50. The ST50's were quite bright!
post #16893 of 16912 Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
I've fired Skype on my moms vt60 and got message that Skype will be ended June 30th. What gives... Last year sammy disabled Skype on their TVs equipped with camera and now pany....
Does anyone know if the Panny's popup camera can be used for video conferencing with anything other than Skype? Would be nice to be able to use the popup camera thru my HTPC with Google Hangouts.

Please enter password to view this signature.

post #16894 of 16912 Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Does anyone know if the Panny's popup camera can be used for video conferencing with anything other than Skype? Would be nice to be able to use the popup camera thru my HTPC with Google Hangouts.
I am not aware of any apps for Panasonic or for that matter any other competitive brand that can utilize built in camera for chat other than Skype.
post #16895 of 16912 Old 06-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone else still prefer 1080p Panasonic plasma over 4k LCD?
post #16896 of 16912 Old 06-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmanfamily View Post
Maybe over LCD but certainly not 4k.OLED
post #16897 of 16912 Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
Maybe over LCD but certainly not 4k.OLED
Or even 1080p OLED. I have a 55" Panasonic ST30 and a 55" LG EG9100. They are very close in picture quality but I would have to give a slight edge to the OLED.
Dabois09 likes this.
post #16898 of 16912 Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, when it comes down to motion or viewing from the side. Neither LCD nor OLED do it for me. The only way not to loose resolution on LCD/OLED is to use interpolation or insert black frames. Basically you have to deal with soap opera effect or loose brightness. I have Kuro in the kitchen and 78" js9500 samsung in living room. I bought VT60 Panasonic for my mom and it is an excellent set. They all have advantages it simply comes down to personal choice what is available at TV screen size vs your budget. I feel Samsung LCDs offer the most detailed picture without visible artifacts. Though all LCDs with VA panel are bad when it comes down watching anything off center. If you have FALD set you will also notice blooming. OLEDs are great and are getting better but they don't offer anything even semi affordable in screen sizes over 65". The size of the screen is a quality metric of its own.
post #16899 of 16912 Old 06-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Yes! And considering price for LG's flat OLED, not ready to jump.
post #16900 of 16912 Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Yes! And considering price for LG's flat OLED, not ready to jump.
There was an incredible deal for the 65" C7 this weekend at Buydig's eBay store. Was $2599 shipped (no tax for NYC)!

My wife talked me out of it. I know, I know. But in hindsight, I do most of my watching on cable and rent from iTunes (which is not 4K and not going to be for the foreseeable future). I can't even remember the last BD I bought. I've been buying media codes (that are 1080p) lately.

4K will certainly open the floodgates for a UHD player and upping my Netflix to include 4K. And any movie I already own I am not going to re-buy on UHD. I prefer to buy only new titles or movies I don't already own.

So for now, I'm going to wait. My 60" VT60 still looks incredible.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player • Apple TV 4 • Yamaha RX‑A1050 AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 Speaker System
post #16901 of 16912 Old 06-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
There was an incredible deal for the 65" C7 this weekend at Buydig's eBay store. Was $2599 shipped (no tax for NYC)!

My wife talked me out of it. I know, I know. But in hindsight, I do most of my watching on cable and rent from iTunes (which is not 4K and not going to be for the foreseeable future). I can't even remember the last BD I bought. I've been buying media codes (that are 1080p) lately.

4K will certainly open the floodgates for a UHD player and upping my Netflix to include 4K. And any movie I already own I am not going to re-buy on UHD. I prefer to buy only new titles or movies I don't already own.

So for now, I'm going to wait. My 60" VT60 still looks incredible.
Wait till Black Friday and it will be $2250 I predict on Ebay.
post #16902 of 16912 Old 07-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Do you think, perhaps, that it's a mistake to touch the main colour control (the one simply named "colour")?
post #16903 of 16912 Old 07-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
Do you think, perhaps, that it's a mistake to touch the main colour control (the one simply named "colour")?
There is only one correct color setting. When you calibrate a TV your software will tell you when the primary color red is set properly when you get the lowest possible delta error. Adjust the main color control to set red. On the VT60 I believe I set it at 50.
post #16904 of 16912 Old 07-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I notice a lot of people have been opting for 47/48, but I'm wondering if that is the cause of some periodic colour errors I've noticed on gradients with that setting. I suspect with some of these controls they really only work properly at their default values and there is some sort of miscalculation if set otherwise.

Also, may I ask: is it to be expected that large-ish changes to the 10 pt gamma controls can cause readily perceptible colour shifts and contouring? If I move the gamma/60 control ten clicks either way, say, I can introduce green or magenta tinting in some areas of people's faces. I'm wondering if that is a necessary consequence or an implementation quirk.
post #16905 of 16912 Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
I notice a lot of people have been opting for 47/48, but I'm wondering if that is the cause of some periodic colour errors I've noticed on gradients with that setting. I suspect with some of these controls they really only work properly at their default values and there is some sort of miscalculation if set otherwise.

Also, may I ask: is it to be expected that large-ish changes to the 10 pt gamma controls can cause readily perceptible colour shifts and contouring? If I move the gamma/60 control ten clicks either way, say, I can introduce green or magenta tinting in some areas of people's faces. I'm wondering if that is a necessary consequence or an implementation quirk.
I prefer a BT 1886 gamma where the gamma starts out at around 2.1 at 10 IRE and ends around 2.35 at 100 IRE. This way you get excellent shadow detail at the low end but plenty of pop in the middle to high end. Gamma should not effect color unless it is way off. When you calibrate a TV set in this order.
1. Contrast
2. Brightness
3. Greyscale (the most important part)
4. Color
5. Gamma
6. Re check everything starting with greyscale then color again.

Without a meter I would just set it at 2.4 gamma and use Sound and Visions settings. I've found there's to be pretty accurate.
post #16906 of 16912 Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Buy or not buy?

VT60 65 inch in my local craigslist for $875.

I went to visit the guy selling the plasma. Seller is (sadly) not a avsforum lurker and doesn't seem to know much about this display. He also claims his display has low panel hours (but i checked it and it's around 3900 hrs). To my horror i noticed that the picture mode is in VIVID mode (guy also watches terrestrial tv in VIVID mode). As for dead pixel or subpixles, I did not notice any. I'm really hoping it's not a burn-in but I did notice some vertical bars image retention on the far right of the screen (looks like some bars from PS4 game or console user interface, btw the owner owns a PS4 and is connected to this plasma display). I really wish I took a picture of the vertical bar image retention on the far right of the screen so I can show it to you guys and ask whether or not it can be fixed or significantly reduce the amount of that image retentionafter I buy it (IF I buy it at all)
post #16907 of 16912 Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34-hfx-83 View Post
Buy or not buy?

I went to visit the guy selling the plasma. Seller is (sadly) not a avsforum lurker and doesn't seem to know much about this display. He also claims his display has low panel hours (but i checked it and it's around 3900 hrs). To my horror i noticed that the picture mode is in VIVID mode (guy also watches terrestrial tv in VIVID mode). As for dead pixel or subpixles, I did not notice any. I'm really hoping it's not a burn-in but I did notice some vertical bars image retention on the far right of the screen (looks like some bars from PS4 game or console user interface, btw the owner owns a PS4 and is connected to this plasma display). I really wish I took a picture of the vertical bar image retention on the far right of the screen so I can show it to you guys and ask whether or not it can be fixed or significantly reduce the amount of that image retentionafter I buy it (IF I buy it at all)

What's your current display(s)? The price doesn't seem bad to me and 3900 isn't bad for a 4-year old TV. I mean, without knowing what you currently have, that's one of the best of the old guard (SDR). So unless you want to spend ~$2k on an OLED and all the infrastructure upgrades to take advantage of HDR, I think that's a good get in the VT60.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Samsung 64F8500| Samsung 51F8500| Samsung 51F8500
Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One| WiiU
post #16908 of 16912 Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've found my VT65 starting to drift from it's initial calibration - skin tone looking a little yellow. I was going to get the guy back again however before doing so I was wondering what your thoughts were about calibrating to panel lum high? I can't deny I get a little sad when I leave my Kuro 5080 in my bedroom and go watch the Panny and see how dim it is in comparison!
post #16909 of 16912 Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
What's your current display(s)?
Elite 111FD in living room, service menu tuned to eliminate ABL abd red tint blacks

Elite 101FD in bed room, service menu tuned to reduce black levels.

Panasonic ST60 in bed room.

The panasonic ST60 is at the crossroads. I'm thinking if I should sell and replace it with the VT60, or just get a 3DLUT box and hire a calibrator like chadb to calibrate my st60.

The only saving grace with my ST60 and the VT60 i found on craigslist is that the Pixels are solid, no dead or intermittend subpixels. The Elites I have on the other hand have intermittent subpixel issues (101fd) or dead (111fd) pixel

Last edited by 34-hfx-83; 07-25-2017 at 09:28 PM.
post #16910 of 16912 Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 90
Cool

Quote:
Buy or not buy?

Short answer: Pass.
Long answer: I disagree about the hours. To me at least, 3900 hours is a fair amount, and especially if they've mostly be in VIVID mode. And those bars would concern me greatly....With all that plus your current setup, which is pretty damn good, I'd save my pennies and buy an OLED.

Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #16911 of 16912 Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Short answer: Pass.
Long answer: I disagree about the hours. To me at least, 3900 hours is a fair amount, and especially if they've mostly be in VIVID mode. And those bars would concern me greatly....With all that plus your current setup, which is pretty damn good, I'd save my pennies and buy an OLED.

Scott
+1 pass on it. He's ruined that panel with vivid mode. It's most likely burn in. The hours are good though at 3900. Price is to too high for a vivid tainted panel.
post #16912 of 16912 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Buy or not buy?

Are you by chance in Las Vegas? If so, I've been looking at this seller's ad on craigslist as well. He just lowered his price to $800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page