Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 565 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 262Likes

post #16921 of 16950 Old 07-30-2017, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsmvp View Post
Are you by chance in Las Vegas? If so, I've been looking at this seller's ad on craigslist as well. He just lowered his price to $800.
Did you buy it?

Contacted the seller and he said it sold today (Sunday July 30th)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16922 of 16950 Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nope, I didn't buy it. If I didn't have a great ZT60, I would have bought it. But I also have a 65V10 as backup with that special device, so I'm good.
post #16923 of 16950 Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Howdy fellas, been awhile since I last visited.

I still love my 65VT60 but have battled IR with this set more than I'd like to admit. I was surprised it was so susceptible given my previous panny plasma's had nearly no issue with burn in or IR.... but I've learned to live with it.

Now... I am experiencing a new issue and wondering if anyone can shed some light... I have two red-ish/pink blobs that appear on my screen, I think more so after it has been on for awhile. It is most noticeable on white to light grey solid screen (sadly I love to watch hockey too), but now noticing it more and more on all content. They appear in the same place every time, upper left and middle right. (I think I've attached a photo that can give you a little idea)

I'm guessing this is no easy fix... I do have a SquareTrade warranty but haven't read the most positive reviews on receiving fair value for this TV. I would argue, like most of us, that a OLED is the only TV that is equivalent, or they can give me a $2,000 check. Okay, I'd probably take less.. I will probably just live with it as life will I'm sure give me something more important to worry about soon. If anyone has this issue, can I expect it to get worse? If it does, than I might try to go through the warranty hassle.

As always, thanks for your time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vt60redblob.jpg (261.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by IINEWBIEII; 08-07-2017 at 10:22 PM.

post #16924 of 16950 Old 08-08-2017, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINEWBIEII View Post

I still love my 65VT60 but have battled IR with this set more than I'd like to admit. I was surprised it was so susceptible given my previous panny plasma's had nearly no issue with burn in or IR.... but I've learned to live with it.

Now... I am experiencing a new issue and wondering if anyone can shed some light... I have two red-ish/pink blobs that appear on my screen, I think more so after it has been on for awhile. It is most noticeable on white to light grey solid screen (sadly I love to watch hockey too), but now noticing it more and more on all content. They appear in the same place every time, upper left and middle right. (I think I've attached a photo that can give you a little idea)

I'm guessing this is no easy fix... I do have a SquareTrade warranty but haven't read the most positive reviews on receiving fair value for this TV. I would argue, like most of us, that a OLED is the only TV that is equivalent, or they can give me a $2,000 check. Okay, I'd probably take less.. I will probably just live with it as life will I'm sure give me something more important to worry about soon. If anyone has this issue, can I expect it to get worse? If it does, than I might try to go through the warranty hassle.

I had an issue with my 65VT60 where the panel was bad and they didn't have replacements. Like you, I had a Square Trade warranty as well. At first they had insisted that I take a lower quality TV and I wasn't pleased with their selection, after having the Panny's great picture. I asked Square Trade if they would send me a check for the value and I would purchased my own TV. They reluctantly sent me a check, after much back and forth, for the full purchase price of the VT60. I was able to get something that I was satisfied with but not an OLED because they were too expensive back then. Good luck. JT
IINEWBIEII likes this.

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Sony UBP-X800 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
post #16925 of 16950 Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Compare:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-...391.html#19654

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-...377.html#18950

Different colour, but reminds me of this, an issue with the previous generation VTs:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...topics/1448896
IINEWBIEII likes this.
post #16926 of 16950 Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 PM

The fix for this problem is to go to the service menu and change the vsus to high. I had this problem, too, on a zt60. From one hockey lover to another.
IINEWBIEII likes this.
post #16927 of 16950 Old 08-09-2017, 03:04 AM
uh2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have the same issue but I can't always reproduce it, so I haven't called SquareTrade. Has anyone who has called SquareTrade about this issue had a technician actually come look at the set or did you just submit pictures?
post #16928 of 16950 Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. I delved into this a little further and found it is a known issue. It seems some people have had luck fixing this by adjusting the VSUS in the service menu (others haven't). The only problem for me is that I can't seem to get into my service menu... Is holding down the volume key and pressing the info button three times the correct way to get into the serv menu? I've tried it a hundred times and nothing. It would be great if this fixed it. Below is a quote from LarryInRI that explains the issue pretty well. I also read that sometimes the issue actually gets better and not worse after about 600 hours.

I'm linking a page from earlier this year where someone had an identical issue to mine and did get refunded for his full invoice price from Square Trade, but he had to fight for it.

If someone could help me get into the service menu that would be awesome! Since I have a little over a year left on my warranty, I'm going to see if it gets better or maybe I can fix it with the VSUS adjustment. I'll keep you guys posted... I still got a while before hockey starts up again Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
Adjusting Vsus does not change the black level. It is used to activate dead pixels and/or alleviate some screen uniformity issues. For these panels, Vsus at Low sets the sustain voltage to about 210v and Vsus at High sets it to about 215v. I have been unable to find a potentiometer adjustment that allows for adjusting the value.

When using the Vsus adjustment in the service menu there is a white test screen that shows the visible change as Vsus is changed from Low to High and vice versa. As chunon found, it indeed will effect the pink splotch that occurs on the right side of the screen on some units when viewing at very high luminance levels. That pinking occurs right at the area of the screen that gets hottest -- where the back panel gets hot. Those of us that view with maximum outputs of less than about 120 cd/m^2 should not have any uniformity issues caused by that heat. (Setting Vsus to high might reduce other screen non-uniformness but only very slightly.)

Larry

Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
post #16929 of 16950 Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
You can do it!
I have a 65" VT60 with the same problem as well. It's wall mounted so I have to wait to get my son to help me get it off the wall. Got the back off and noticed on this set that there is a metal frame at the bottom that covers the lower part of the boards where the ribbon cables connect. That frame is set under the frames on the side (so you have to undo those as well). Got started undoing the frames with the hope I'd have enough room to reseat the cables. Got to the side frames and found there's what appears to be tape that seals the side frame to the panel - so at that point being not sure what was next, I stopped and reassembled everything. I did unlatch/relatch the socket for the cable that matched where the lines were (tape was a great idea) a couple of times. Wasn't sure that would do anything, but it was there so no harm in trying. Even that was a bit challenging to get to as it was slightly under the metal frame. Turned the TV back on and lines were still there but it appeared that the line was not as wide by about 1 or 2 pixel columns. Did find the manual for this and it appears even to replace these 3 boards you have to dismantle a lot of stuff. On the picture that shows the board, the cable connect on the board under the double line boxes at the bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1080.jpg (61.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1081.jpg (44.6 KB, 28 views)
post #16930 of 16950 Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 PM

You need to hold volume down on the tv and info 3 times on the remote while the tv is on. That will get you to the service menu. When you go high on the vsus, save it by turning the tv off at the tv, not the remote.
post #16931 of 16950 Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
You can do it!
Well, I gave it a try...

Was able to successfully remove the back cover without too much difficulty (did have to remove the stand). I could barely see where the ribbon cable was hiding in the area where I'm having my problem, but it seemed to be under at least 2 layers of other metal. I partially removed the outer one, to see if that would give me access to the ribbon cable, but it was still under a band of metal underneath the first one.

To remove both of them would require more disassembly than I was comfortable with. There is a central metal cover, where the stand would screw in, and I would have to remove that one in order to fully remove the 2 metal bands covering the ribbon cable. I could see various other ribbons and electronics going in and out of that cover, and it wasn't 100% clear which screws I should remove, and which I shouldn't.

As it was, there was a piece that sat under that first metal band, that was not screwed in or otherwise attached. It took me a while to figure out how it was seated there to begin with, but I think I was able to reposition it properly.

And the outside case also had a couple of devices that had to be partially disassembled (one was the WiFi unit) in order to remove the back cover.

If the TV weren't working at all, and I'd have nothing to lose, that would be one thing. Disassemble it, and if I couldn't get it back together, nothing lost. But since it otherwise works fine, I decided to just live with the line. And given that it's quite possible it still wouldn't fix the problem, even if I had been able to get to it, I figured I'd just leave well enough alone.

Waiting for my wife to get home, to help me lift it back onto the tv stand it sits on. Hopefully it'll turn on and work right!

Since I now have my Home Theater room as the primary place for 'serious' watching, I'm not as bummed about this problem as I would otherwise be. And spending $2,000 to $3,000 for a serious OLED 65" isn't something I'd like to do right now.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
post #16932 of 16950 Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Well, I gave it a try...

Was able to successfully remove the back cover without too much difficulty (did have to remove the stand). I could barely see where the ribbon cable was hiding in the area where I'm having my problem, but it seemed to be under at least 2 layers of other metal. I partially removed the outer one, to see if that would give me access to the ribbon cable, but it was still under a band of metal underneath the first one.

To remove both of them would require more disassembly than I was comfortable with. There is a central metal cover, where the stand would screw in, and I would have to remove that one in order to fully remove the 2 metal bands covering the ribbon cable. I could see various other ribbons and electronics going in and out of that cover, and it wasn't 100% clear which screws I should remove, and which I shouldn't.

As it was, there was a piece that sat under that first metal band, that was not screwed in or otherwise attached. It took me a while to figure out how it was seated there to begin with, but I think I was able to reposition it properly.

And the outside case also had a couple of devices that had to be partially disassembled (one was the WiFi unit) in order to remove the back cover.

If the TV weren't working at all, and I'd have nothing to lose, that would be one thing. Disassemble it, and if I couldn't get it back together, nothing lost. But since it otherwise works fine, I decided to just live with the line. And given that it's quite possible it still wouldn't fix the problem, even if I had been able to get to it, I figured I'd just leave well enough alone.

Waiting for my wife to get home, to help me lift it back onto the tv stand it sits on. Hopefully it'll turn on and work right!

Since I now have my Home Theater room as the primary place for 'serious' watching, I'm not as bummed about this problem as I would otherwise be. And spending $2,000 to $3,000 for a serious OLED 65" isn't something I'd like to do right now.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Don
See my post (#16929) I had the same experience. Got to the point where I started disassembling the metal rails on the side and stopped when it appeared even more disassembly would be required. Put it back together and hung it back on the wall. I've just learned to live with it.
post #16933 of 16950 Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Irving View Post
See my post (#16929) I had the same experience. Got to the point where I started disassembling the metal rails on the side and stopped when it appeared even more disassembly would be required. Put it back together and hung it back on the wall. I've just learned to live with it.
Thanks for the post. I hadn't subscribed to this thread, and so hadn't read your post. If I had, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to try! Too bad for both of us this proved too difficult to accomplish.

I've been looking at OLED's to possibly replace it, as I indicated above. But as I think through it, I'd only be watching Cable TV, and some Netflix or Amazon video; any Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray would be watched in my theater room (160" scope screen!). So if I replace it, I'll probably look at a good quality LCD, possibly even going 70-75", for less than the LG B7 or C7 OLED's!

Or wait till Black Friday deals, and see what my options are.

Did you bother calling a TV Repair service, to see if they had any viable cost-effective options?

Don

Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
DLC Photography
post #16934 of 16950 Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Out of curiosity - does anybody think my current 65" VT60 Plasma TV has any resale value, given that it now has that fairly narrow (1 or 2 pixels, I'm guessing) vertical line a little ways out from center towards the right side?

As documented above, trying to re-insert the appropriate ribbon cable required more disassembly than I was comfortable with, fearing that I wouldn't be able to get things back together right, and end up with a non-functioning TV.

The picture quality is otherwise awesome.

If I do replace it, I'd hate to just throw it away, and don't really need it for another room.

Thanks.

Don

P.S. I'm near Charlotte, NC, in case someone is interested, and wants to make me an offer!

DLC Photography
post #16935 of 16950 Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Out of curiosity - does anybody think my current 65" VT60 Plasma TV has any resale value, given that it now has that fairly narrow (1 or 2 pixels, I'm guessing) vertical line a little ways out from center towards the right side?

As documented above, trying to re-insert the appropriate ribbon cable required more disassembly than I was comfortable with, fearing that I wouldn't be able to get things back together right, and end up with a non-functioning TV.

If I do replace it, I'd hate to just throw it away, and don't really need it for another room.

Thanks.

Don

P.S. I'm near Charlotte, NC, in case someone is interested, and wants to make me an offer!

Definitely don't throw it away. At the very least, you could give it away or sell it for cheap on Craigslist/eBay if you don't have a secondary room you could put it in. Someone would be willing to try and fix that issue.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Samsung 64F8500| Samsung 51F8500| Samsung 51F8500
OPPO 93| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One| WiiU
post #16936 of 16950 Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
Definitely don't throw it away. At the very least, you could give it away or sell it for cheap on Craigslist/eBay if you don't have a secondary room you could put it in. Someone would be willing to try and fix that issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Any suggestions on a reasonable Craigs List price? eBay would be cumbersome because of shipping.

I spent $3k on this 5 years ago; hate to sell it for too little...

DLC Photography
post #16937 of 16950 Old 08-16-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Any suggestions on a reasonable Craigs List price? eBay would be cumbersome because of shipping.

I spent $3k on this 5 years ago; hate to sell it for too little...

Unfortunately, what you paid 5 years ago has no bearing on what someone might be willing to pay now.

Honestly I'm not sure how much you could really get for a 4-5 year old TV with a line running through it. A few hundred, maybe?

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #16938 of 16950 Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester View Post
Unfortunately, what you paid 5 years ago has no bearing on what someone might be willing to pay now.

Honestly I'm not sure how much you could really get for a 4-5 year old TV with a line running through it. A few hundred, maybe?
Yeah, I realize how much this stuff devalues over time. I was just mentioning it to indicate that it was a high-end Plasma TV in its time, as opposed to a lower tier product.

A few hundred wouldn't be too bad; would help pay for its replacement.

DLC Photography
post #16939 of 16950 Old 08-16-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I hadn't subscribed to this thread, and so hadn't read your post. If I had, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to try! Too bad for both of us this proved too difficult to accomplish.

I've been looking at OLED's to possibly replace it, as I indicated above. But as I think through it, I'd only be watching Cable TV, and some Netflix or Amazon video; any Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray would be watched in my theater room (160" scope screen!). So if I replace it, I'll probably look at a good quality LCD, possibly even going 70-75", for less than the LG B7 or C7 OLED's!

Or wait till Black Friday deals, and see what my options are.

Did you bother calling a TV Repair service, to see if they had any viable cost-effective options?

Don
Didn't call a repair service. I actually had a VT50 which had a board go after 4 months and Panasonic couldn't replace it so they sent me a new TV (VT60). The experience dealing with the repair shop wasn't pleasant and since it's not a sure thing that this is what the problem is, I'll just live with it for a while until the OLED prices come down.
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #16940 of 16950 Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Irving View Post
It can be a bit scary. You just have to take those rails off and you will have full access to the ribbon cables.
post #16941 of 16950 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:

Thanks.

Don

I think you could get more than you think for it just due to the size. A year ago I sold a 42" plasma that I found on the curb. Had multiple lines going up and down. I just wanted to flip it quickly and sold it for $50 on a local Facebook buy/sell group. A guy wanted it as a workshop garage TV. I think you could maybe get $200-$300 for a 65" high quality plasma, which I know is not any real consolation
post #16942 of 16950 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy85 View Post
I think you could get more than you think for it just due to the size. A year ago I sold a 42" plasma that I found on the curb. Had multiple lines going up and down. I just wanted to flip it quickly and sold it for $50 on a local Facebook buy/sell group. A guy wanted it as a workshop garage TV. I think you could maybe get $200-$300 for a 65" high quality plasma, which I know is not any real consolation
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably try this out - Facebook, Craigslist, etc. See what offers I get.

And I realize how quickly electronic gear in general depreciates, so it is what it is... A few hundred would put at least a small dent in its replacement!

DLC Photography
post #16943 of 16950 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably try this out - Facebook, Craigslist, etc. See what offers I get.

And I realize how quickly electronic gear in general depreciates, so it is what it is... A few hundred would put at least a small dent in its replacement!
It's still worth $400 hundred or so even with the line. A buyer will know how to fix it and scoop it right up.
post #16944 of 16950 Old Today, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's still worth $400 hundred or so even with the line. A buyer will know how to fix it and scoop it right up.
Are you that confident that simply reseating the ribbon cable a couple of times would fix the line? It just seems like an odd thing - I would have thought that with there being no physical movement or jostling of the TV itself, that this would represent a failed connection, or failed electronic component of some type, rather than something just coming 'loose.'

If I were that confident that this would fix it, I might give it another try, and unscrew the other pieces that were covering the rails.

My fear, obviously, is that I might be unable to get it back together properly. You know, like when there is a spring involved in a physical mechanism, it can be quite difficult to get the genie back in the box, so to speak!

DLC Photography
post #16945 of 16950 Old Today, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
My fear, obviously, is that I might be unable to get it back together properly. You know, like when there is a spring involved in a physical mechanism, it can be quite difficult to get the genie back in the box, so to speak!

Take pictures of the process as you are taking it apart and/or take notes with descriptions if you are unsure. Then you will have something to reference when trying to put it back together.

Samsung 64F8500| Samsung 51F8500| Samsung 51F8500
OPPO 93| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One| WiiU
post #16946 of 16950 Old Today, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
Take pictures of the process as you are taking it apart and/or take notes with descriptions if you are unsure. Then you will have something to reference when trying to put it back together.

Yes, good advice that I've followed when undertaking similar tasks in the past. And hopefully there are no hidden springs that will pop out, and either disappear forever, or resist being put back in place!

On the other hand, if I can't get it all back together, then I'll have no choice than to buy that shiny new LG OLED or Sony 900E series I've been lusting over!!
Stevetd and sickkent like this.

DLC Photography
post #16947 of 16950 Old Today, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Are you that confident that simply reseating the ribbon cable a couple of times would fix the line? It just seems like an odd thing - I would have thought that with there being no physical movement or jostling of the TV itself, that this would represent a failed connection, or failed electronic component of some type, rather than something just coming 'loose.'

If I were that confident that this would fix it, I might give it another try, and unscrew the other pieces that were covering the rails.

Pretty confident. Nothing guaranteed but worth trying.

Post #24 is the fix
Vertical Lines on a Panasonic TC-P54G10

Start at post #23
Yellowish Vertical band on Panasonic plasma TV
post #16948 of 16950 Old Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pretty confident. Nothing guaranteed but worth trying.
Thanks for the links.

I'll probably give it another try. Each TV is different, though, in terms of where things are, what has to be removed to get to them, etc. Haven't found any videos or pictures that specifically show what exactly needs to be removed for my particular model.

Will post back what happens.

DLC Photography
post #16949 of 16950 Old Today, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links.

I'll probably give it another try. Each TV is different, though, in terms of where things are, what has to be removed to get to them, etc. Haven't found any videos or pictures that specifically show what exactly needs to be removed for my particular model.

Will post back what happens.
I have a GT30 apart right now and see what you mean about stuff being in the way.
post #16950 of 16950 Old Today, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a GT30 apart right now and see what you mean about stuff being in the way.
Interesting - are you trying to fix the same type of problem, or something different?

Pictures and outcome when they're available, please

DLC Photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page