Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 14890 Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Did you run a meter on this?

Yes, Display 3 Pro, was having the same issues Chad was having when he reviewed the 65VT60.

Once I hit about 250 too 300 hours the calibration stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 14890 Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets View Post

Yes, Display 3 Pro, was having the same issues Chad was having when he reviewed the 65VT60.

Once I hit about 250 too 300 hours the calibration stuck.
Sweet...longer than I'd prefer, but this is a good sign.
post #1713 of 14890 Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 PM

Liked: 12
Is the VT60 24-bit, 30 or 36-bit panels? Need to know what deep color setting on my Oppo-93 I should use.
post #1714 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Will do ... On sunday morning i will be done.. Hopefully the settings will be published. Did you watch tv during the day while running the slides at night? Because i thought you were supposed to run the slides 100 hours straight...?

Another question i plan of doing a day and night calibration in 5 months .. What FtL should i tell the calibrator to shoot for for day and night ?

For my clients I target 35fL night , 45-50fL for day (if the display can get that bright. I also target a much different gamma for day mode.

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #1715 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

For my clients I target 35fL night , 45-50fL for day (if the display can get that bright. I also target a much different gamma for day mode.
Thanks i will remember 35fL for night and the settings for day
post #1716 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Ah, some sanity on the break-in slides and must get it calibrated as soon as possible.

Some pseudo science with absolutely no formal testing, validation or published paper on the need or the break-in process. Nor any manufacture endorsement or recommendations. Just a few folks several years ago that stated this silliness.

Heck, as for as we know, it maybe the mother cause of all the damaged panels that buzz, but then, I have no data- just a hunch, but worth about he as much as the slide hunch mythology, if you get my drift. LOL

Buzz is always there for day 1 . Nature of plasmas and probably due to electricity consumption and the psu. To me the theory of going through 12 different color slides is to age all the phosphors evenly within the first 100 hours. Supposedly this is the best time to break in your tv . Also it will iron out and possible components that could fail since you are stressing the tv . Id rather do this within the return period anyway.
post #1717 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

Is the VT60 24-bit, 30 or 36-bit panels? Need to know what deep color setting on my Oppo-93 I should use.
Do you have source material for the 30 or 36 bit settings?
post #1718 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 AM

Liked: 12
No but people report better gradation on blu-ray with some panels like Kuro that's why I' wondering about VT60.
post #1719 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

What both of those cases are describing definitely sounds like "residual charge" IR, the normal and harmless kind. That's the only type of IR report I've heard so far on the VT60, which is encouraging. I'd love to hear how the VT60 works out for you since you're familiar with the ST(50 I'm guessing?)'s issues with long-duration IR.

Yes I had the ST50. I will report my findings with the VT60.
post #1720 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Sorry, your right that was uncalled for. My apologies htwaits . smile.gif
That was a little much but for the sake of fairness htwaits is not the official spokesperson for DNice and theres no good reason for him to come up with an irrelevant answer every time someone inquires about DNices settings. DNice will provide them when he gets the chance. Theres not much else to say.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1721 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Liked: 10
I've been reading on this forum for quite a bit and you guys helped me decide to go with the 55VT60. Got it delivered last weekend. It's amazing PQ so far. I've got slides up and running on it to try to break in the screen for now (I think my wife is gonna kill me for not letting her use it yet).

I only have 2 issues.

Best buy delivered it, turned it on and left, and everything seemed good.

However, when I went to give it a deep eye over, I noticed that the left bezel right before it turns into the screen there are a few imperfections in the AR coating. They aren't actually on the display part itself, just to the left of it. You can't see them except when it's bright in the room, but now I can't see anything but them.

Also, I noticed that the glass on the front of the display is either too large, or off center. On the left side of the display you have the speaker, then bezel, then there is a blackish bar on the panel itself, then it gets into the actual display part. On the right, there is an additional area that is exposed before the black bar.

Do you think these 2 issues are serious enough to get the TV replaced, or are they merely aesthetics and wont impact the display?

I'm afraid that if the glass is off center that it will decrease the longevity of the display.

Picture attached of the off-center ness. Couldn't get the AR issue to show up in the picture, but it looks like a little cloud with sharp edges.

post #1722 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsiegel View Post

I've been reading on this forum for quite a bit and you guys helped me decide to go with the 55VT60. Got it delivered last weekend. It's amazing PQ so far. I've got slides up and running on it to try to break in the screen for now (I think my wife is gonna kill me for not letting her use it yet).

I only have 2 issues.

However, when I went to give it a deep eye over, I noticed that the left bezel right before it turns into the screen there are a few imperfections in the AR coating. They aren't actually on the display part itself, just to the left of it. You can't see them except when it's bright in the room, but now I can't see anything but them.

Also, I noticed that the glass on the front of the display is either too large, or off center. On the left side of the display you have the speaker, then bezel, then there is a blackish bar on the panel itself, then it gets into the actual display part. On the right, there is an additional area that is exposed before the black bar.

Do you think these 2 issues are serious enough to get the TV replaced, or are they merely aesthetics and wont impact the display?

I'm afraid that if the glass is off center that it will decrease the longevity of the display.

Picture attached of the off-center ness. Couldn't get the AR issue to show up in the picture, but it looks like a little cloud with sharp edges.

Get it replaced, don't accept manufacturing defects on a brand-new panel. If you keep that TV, it will negatively impact the resale value.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #1723 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 AM

would that be accomplished through panasonic or would best buy exchange it?
post #1724 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Contact BB first. They should honor an exchange.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1725 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Since only a week has passed, it goes back to Best Buy.

post #1726 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM

so I take it that none of your panels have that issue and that it is in fact a defect?
post #1727 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

so I take it that none of your panels have that issue and that it is in fact a defect?

I do not own that TV but I have seen a few of them recently — you should just go to the store and have a look at another panel before doing the exchange, if you want to be totally sure.

post #1728 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post

I also loaded the CNET settings and it looks great to me, skin tones seems right on.

Ok. I also jumped into the deep end and purchased a couple of meters Control version to help automate the process. I will try an update on my adventure. Any insights will help also.

Been crazy busy at work but if you want me to try anything let me know.

What "meters Control version" did you buy.??

ss

What is "meters Control version"?

TWD
post #1729 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets View Post

I just finished a full recalibration, still waiting on that ControlCal though so had to use Proffesional 1.

There is some tightening up that can still be done across the board, but I'd say not bad for 200hrs in.

I'll post all the charts when I get home, the beta Tom sent me fixed the issue with the detailed charts not loading.

As surprised as you might be, the picture got dramatically better after calibration.

So absolutey have her professionally calibrated!

Have you tried Calman 5 to access the ISF modes.?

ss
post #1730 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post

I also loaded the CNET settings and it looks great to me, skin tones seems right on.

Ok. I also jumped into the deep end and purchased a couple of meters Control version to help automate the process. I will try an update on my adventure. Any insights will help also.

Been crazy busy at work but if you want me to try anything let me know.

Good to read another confirmation on the CNET settings.

I watched Transformers last night with the CNET settings used since I always used this movie tons of times in the past for flesh tones on faces. There is a scene where all the analysts are sitting in a room getting updated on the situation by the Secretary of State. The girl's face always looked ever so slightly yellowish on my VT30 until it was calibrated. With the CNET setting, it was spot on along with all other scenes. Also the HD movie Taken was on Dish and all faces and everything looked great. Liam Neeson has facial flesh tones to me that makes it immediately known if colors aren't correct. I do have the color for my Dish set to 48 and 50 on my other input for blu ray / HD DVD. Switching back and forth between the CNET and THX Cinema setting show the Cinema setting had an ever so slight red tilt to it. Faces didn't look nearly as natural as the CNET settings and the mountains / dirt had a slight red bias, again not as natural.

The slides and breaking in of my VT60 going well. I can tell everything looks to be much more stable along with the slides just looking to be more evenly colored and solid looking.
post #1731 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I only have 2 issues.

I received my tv yesterday morning and immediately started the slides a hour after delivery. Screen was perfect every pixel fired and displayed color. However when i woke up this morning the right side of the screen just like the picture above at the edge where a line of vertical pixel the length of the screen were not on. So the best way to describe it is when you are displaying blue, red, a prominent color the entire screen looked off centered. Keep in mind i am talking a few centimeters like 2 lines of pixels . When you compared the left side to the right side .. the left side had all the pixels displayed and looked centered . The right side did not look centered .. more of a black gap so to speak. So anyway i turned on the cable box and displayed a HD picture and everything was back to normal. Even watching blu-ray looked centered and normal again. Went back to the slide show and everything is centered and displaying a even picture. It is very unnoticeable unless your face is 2 inches from the glass.. However this is a big issue that everyone should be aware of. Because if you run your slides over 24 hours and your screen happens to do what i explained above your screen will leave a noticeable line due to those pixels not firing and remaining black.

so i am on day 2 and will keep a eye on the set to see if this is a random thing . Might not be a good thing to be running slides
post #1732 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Is there a BB near you that has a 55" on display that you can examine closely for comparison with your TV?
Also, you have to decide whether the annoy factor is unacceptably higher than your enjoy factor for your TV. It should be easy to contact BB and get them to swap out your TV for another one. Good luck.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #1733 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I received my tv yesterday morning and immediately started the slides a hour after delivery. Screen was perfect every pixel fired and displayed color. However when i woke up this morning the right side of the screen just like the picture above at the edge where a line of vertical pixel the length of the screen were not on. So the best way to describe it is when you are displaying blue, red, a prominent color the entire screen looked off centered. Keep in mind i am talking a few centimeters like 2 lines of pixels . When you compared the left side to the right side .. the left side had all the pixels displayed and looked centered . The right side did not look centered .. more of a black gap so to speak. So anyway i turned on the cable box and displayed a HD picture and everything was back to normal. Even watching blu-ray looked centered and normal again. Went back to the slide show and everything is centered and displaying a even picture. It is very unnoticeable unless your face is 2 inches from the glass.. However this is a big issue that everyone should be aware of. Because if you run your slides over 24 hours and your screen happens to do what i explained above your screen will leave a noticeable line due to those pixels not firing and remaining black.

so i am on day 2 and will keep a eye on the set to see if this is a random thing . Might not be a good thing to be running slides

This line is not due to any kind of pixel issue. Like yours, all of my pixels fired and colored and the slides and video fill the whole screen. I believe this black bar (because its visible on all the plasmas I've seen and appears on both sides, is some kind of "seam". It appears whether the tv is off or on. (any ideas if that is actually what it is?) and the actual pixels start a few mm to left or right of it depending on which side. My issue was that the line is flush with the bezel on one side, but not on the other. So it makes the bezel look larger on one side than the other. Plus, the glass flows farther onto the speaker, so over time the vibrations from the speaker may weaken the glass as it is directly over it.

I spoke with Best buy and they are shipping me a new tv. Should be here in a week. Hopefully no AR issues and that the line appears in the corner properly this time.

Thanks everyone for your advise.

I'm using a 20 slide break-in that I think I found from d-nice, but I've heard of a 120 slide version. Is there a difference, besides obviously more colors?
post #1734 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Do you have pixel orbiter on and not auto ? Once you put it to auto (off) you should see it evens out .. There is a space of off pixels around the entire tv .. It's not a defect
post #1735 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Quote:

I do not own that TV but I have seen a few of them recently — you should just go to the store and have a look at another panel before doing the exchange, if you want to be totally sure.

which tv do you own?
post #1736 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Quote:

Will do ... On sunday morning i will be done.. Hopefully the settings will be published. Did you watch tv during the day while running the slides at night? Because i thought you were supposed to run the slides 100 hours straight...?

Another question i plan of doing a day and night calibration in 5 months .. What FtL should i tell the calibrator to shoot for for day and night ?

I just had a Dnice calibration of my vt50 and I just left him alone to tweak to whatever he thought was best for me. I got 35ftl in Day and 25ftl in Night.
post #1737 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 AM

this is a big difference
post #1738 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

which tv do you own?

Vizio M3D550KD eek.gif

It's been quite great, especially for 3D Blu-ray and as a PC monitor for computing and gaming. I do not feel any itch to upgrade yet. Blacks get quite deep when I constrain the 550KD to typical plasma brightness levels.

post #1739 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

which tv do you own?

55VT60
post #1740 of 14890 Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

so not what I was expecting eek.gif

Oh well, you remind me of my exec chef friend who picks up subway on the way home from work biggrin.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page