Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

I have the 65" vt60 and the filter is superior to the st60 blacks are inky in daytime settings. d-nice points this out in the HD shootout and has been mentioned it is up to the same level as the last kuro made. the zt60 is slightly better in a daytime setting. All i know is the VT and ZT60 is the only optimal replacement to match or beat the best kuro made
Everyone on this forum seems to be jumping on the F8500 bandwagon because of the brighter picture and more detail during the day. However in a dark room setting the VT60 puts out the better picture. THX bright room setting puts out a awesome picture when the lights are on with windows open . Also you wont find a better set to watch bluray content on. I believe the VT handles motion and video gaming much better then the F8500 . People still cant figure out which setting to use on that tv to solve motion judder and the soap opera effect at high brightness. The VT has way better out of the box pre settings too..

+1

I couldn't agree more. It seems funny how so many couldn't wait for the shootout results but few talk about it now. It was clear to me as an engineer that even though the Samsung 8500 won the popular vot that the VT60 clearly sweeped all categories (except the bright picture category) as compared tot he 8500 and many total points were not that close in quite a few. Experts gave a rather large bump to the VT60 in showing a sharper picture even though the popular vote gave it to the 8500 and even stated in the comments that the bright picture was probably the reason since untrained eyes will interpret a brighter picture as being sharper.

I'm simply blown away by the PQ and how good it is out of the box via THX Cinema or CNET settings. For once, I am in no hurry to have an ISF calibration done. Not saying I won't but that I can simply relax and watch without scrutizing every scene.

I hope folks learn to turn the critical section of their brain off and just relax when viewing a great HD source on the VT60 since it is simply a reference picture. Funny if I said this before on any previous model plasma that I would have been flamed for it but don't see that now since folks know it is true. Reason to me the shootout even included a reference KURO in with the other displays. They mentioned in the comments that the VT60 was at least equal with the KURO. CNET said it was the first display that simply provided a much better picture than their in house KURO. Not wanting to start a KURO debate but more that the VT60 is that good. Shootout also gave pretty big point advantage for the category of overall picture quality. I find it pretty amazing when folks go on and on about how could Panasonic not do this or that, seems some are never satisfied. Seems to be some are either fanboys of another product or something because the VT60 has amazing PQ (not intended for anyone here but more negative bashing I've read on the VT60 by some).

I for one am thankful that Panasonic did such a great job! It was like hitting a small lottery when BB said they were going to replace my VT30 with the VT60 when it failed out of warranty since they couldn't get the board. Not sure if Amazon does this when one fails under warranty but glad BB has this policy in place. I am one happy videophile. biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Sorry for getting on a soap box.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

Oooooh Snap ... I think i invented (more like Macgyvered) a quality Noise blocker for the VT60 fans and it looks good ...

First the SilverStone 140mm Fan Filter with Magnet for Case Fan/Power Supply Fan and Panel Air Vent FF141B (Black)

Then SilverStone 120mm Fan Filter with Grill FF121 (Black)

I used a tiny bit of scotch tape to mount the 120m Fan filter onto the 140mm fan filter

The 140mm Fan Filter has tiny magnets that stick directly over the fans on the VT60 , It still allows the hot air to escape and since both of the filter were made for fan sound it blocks most of the sound ..

Oh don't sue me it it blows up your TV so use at your own risk .. but I Tested it and it really seems to work

This is fantastic! Thanks for the tip!
post #1803 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

+1

I couldn't agree more. It seems funny how so many couldn't wait for the shootout results but few talk about it now. It was clear to me as an engineer that even though the Samsung 8500 won the popular vot that the VT60 clearly sweeped all categories (except the bright picture category) as compared tot he 8500 and many total points were not that close in quite a few. Experts gave a rather large bump to the VT60 in showing a sharper picture even though the popular vote gave it to the 8500 and even stated in the comments that the bright picture was probably the reason since untrained eyes will interpret a brighter picture as being sharper.
Only problem is some videophile vets (one who was a former Kuro owner followed by a Sharp Elite and now with an 8500) felt that the 8500 was comparatively sharper, and I think it has more to do with the pixel design and/or notorious Samsung video processing than it does brightness (or perhaps a combination of all 3). I don't think we can write off all these impressions of greater sharpness as merely the result of untrained eyes. That said, I am happy with the natural image that my Kuro provides, and if the Panasonics can mimic that, I'll be a happy camper.
Quote:
Reason to me the shootout even included a reference KURO in with the other displays. They mentioned in the comments that the VT60 was at least equal with the KURO. CNET said it was the first display that simply provided a much better picture than their in house KURO. Not wanting to start a KURO debate but more that the VT60 is that good!
Much better than their in-house Kuro 111FD? Wow, I must've missed that detail. *off to check the CNet review*
post #1804 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Did you do any CMS work ? those readings look off

Yes that's right

Quote:

I've seen the calibration charts it is very close but "better" is subjective We will just agree to disagree enjoy your VT60

You can't tell how a display actually looks by that calibration chart. You really need to see the raw numbers, how the display was setup and the settings. Plus the true test is viewing some source material.

Quote:

I don't believe so but not 100% sure

Maybe you should not post if you are not sure.

Quote:

I found the autocal to be quirky to say the least, you charts look pretty good tho, I'll have to go back and look at how my autocal came out

Calman 5 AutoCal will give you the best setting for your display if you are new to calibration and you follow the instructions. Of-course your meter and window size along with your pre calibration setting play a big roll in all of this.

btw, what is it? you first said that " those readings look off" and now you are saying "charts look pretty good tho"

Slow down, maybe you should wait until you actual see a well calibrated ST/VT/ZT60 before you start to comment on them. wink.gif.

ss
post #1805 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not even close . In comparison .. It has been proven on several sites that the ST60 is slightly better but by not much then a VT50

Not sure what "other" sites you are using to say this but CNET did an in depth comparison of the VT60 and ST60, having both to know. This is a paragraph giving a brief summary on their findings along with a link for those interested.

From CNET Review:

The VT60 is an excellent plasma with perhaps the best image quality you'll see this year not powered by light-emitting diodes. It is a shade better than the Kuro we've been using as a reference these long years, it beats the Samsung F8500 in critical dim-room viewing situations, and it's demonstrably better than the ST60. It boasts industry-leading black levels, illuminating shadow detail, and rich, saturated colors.

Here is the link to the review for those interested:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6482_7-10016739.html

I would agree with the statement that the ST60, to many, might prove to be the better "value" for the difference in money. This doesn't include me or I'm guessing many on here since typically videophiles or at least those very critical only stay on forums like AVS since they do care and willing to spend more if it is worth it. I'm sure some with enough money to pop for the ZT60 since it is brighter than the VT60. I wouldn't do that myself since my viewing environment is light controlled.

Enjoy!
post #1806 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Yes that's right
You can't tell how a display actually looks by that calibration chart. You really need to see the raw numbers, how the display was setup and the settings. Plus the true test is viewing some source material.
Maybe you should not post if you are not sure.
Calman 5 AutoCal will give you the best setting for your display if you are new to calibration and you follow the instructions. Of-course your meter and window size along with your pre calibration setting play a big roll in all of this.

btw, what is it? you first said that " those readings look off" and now you are saying "charts look pretty good tho"

Slow down, maybe you should wait until you actual see a well calibrated ST/VT/ZT60 before you start to comment on them. wink.gif.

ss

Typical is all I have to say frown.gif My ignore list just expanded

65JS9500
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3/Lumagen 2143
64F8500 for sale:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/253-pl...l#post35618090
post #1807 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001

Not even close . In comparison .. It has been proven on several sites that the ST60 is slightly better but by not much then a VT50

Sorry, my apologies.

Obviously I can't read when you said VT50, not VT60. redface.gif
post #1808 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm having some puzzling HDMI connection issues with my 65VT60, a Sony BDP-S790, and an Onkyo TX-SR605 AVR. Anyone here using the Sony S790 with their VT60?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #1809 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Only problem is some videophile vets (one who was a former Kuro owner followed by a Sharp Elite and now with an 8500) felt that the 8500 was comparatively sharper, and I think it has more to do with the pixel design and/or notorious Samsung video processing than it does brightness (or perhaps a combination of all 3). I don't think we can write off all these impressions of greater sharpness as merely the result of untrained eyes. That said, I am happy with the natural image that my Kuro provides, and if the Panasonics can mimic that, I'll be a happy camper.
Much better than their in-house Kuro 111FD? Wow, I must've missed that detail. *off to check the CNet review*

Understand your point, thanks.

Here is one CNET review with interesting comments on the Kuro reference they always used plus other things they mentioned. Full VT60 review link at the end.

post #1810 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
^Thanks, a shade better in terms of overall PQ. I think that's a fair assessment.
post #1811 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

Quote:

Not sure what "other" sites you are using to say this but CNET did an in depth comparison of the VT60 and ST60, having both to know. This is a paragraph giving a brief summary on their findings along with a link for those interested.

From CNET Review:

The VT60 is an excellent plasma with perhaps the best image quality you'll see this year not powered by light-emitting diodes. It is a shade better than the Kuro we've been using as a reference these long years, it beats the Samsung F8500 in critical dim-room viewing situations, and it's demonstrably better than the ST60. It boasts industry-leading black levels, illuminating shadow detail, and rich, saturated colors.

Here is the link to the review for those interested:

I would agree with the statement that the ST60, to many, might prove to be the better "value" for the difference in money. This doesn't include me or I'm guessing many on here since typically videophiles or at least those very critical only stay on forums like AVS since they do care and willing to spend more if it is worth it. I'm sure some with enough money to pop for the ZT60 since it is brighter than the VT60. I wouldn't do that myself since my viewing environment is light controlled.

Enjoy!

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that the VT60 is brighter than the ZT60

TWD
post #1812 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

ZT60 30FL VT60 35 FL .Correct me if im wrong..

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #1813 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

I'm having some puzzling HDMI connection issues with my 65VT60, a Sony BDP-S790, and an Onkyo TX-SR605 AVR. Anyone here using the Sony S790 with their VT60?
HDMI connections can cause problems anywhere in the signal path. What gage and what length cables are you using and how are they connected? What "puzzling" issues are you having? Are your HDMI cables "high speed"? smile.gif
post #1814 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Quote:

That's how they were calibrated at the shootout.
post #1815 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Ok,Got the 65vt60 delivered running D-nice slides...so 300hrs i wonder if i can watch some tv inbetween or 24/7 till 300hrs then some tv? Oo OMG forgot did check some baseball,food channel ,Disney channel and i owned vt50. PQ vt60 Straight out of box i give it an awsome choice so glad.So far fans are quiet.smile.gif

How is your VT60 better then the VT50 you owned. I have a VT 50 and considering the upgrade.

TWD
post #1816 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm not knocking the F8500 one bit and I think its a great display. In regards to the F8500 winning the shootout, the one thing the swayed me personally in the direction of the VT60 and not the F8500 was the comments in the CNET review of the F8500 that mentioned the mll rose slightly when using 24p playback for blu ray. While the mll of the VT60 is actually lowered in the 24p playback mode.
sheshechic likes this.
post #1817 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

PS3 3D Blu Ray doesn't work through my Sony AVR but works fine directly connected to tv. Everything else is ok through AVR. Its a bit of a hassle to flop my hdmis around but not sure I'll bother buying a new AVR yet.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #1818 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 23
Just like robert said regarding the F8500 and untrained eyes.. The preceived sharpness is from the increased brightness only to be followed by lousy blacks and motion handling. But like most of the general public who have fallen for bright LED tvs or LCDs the last 10 years are falling for this set. I think when you have a reference picture with the best blacks you get the best movie experience on bluray. I think i would be kicking myself for,not getting the VT60 for this reason over the F8500. I am sure the F8500 puts on a great pic with lots of glare and nice 3d pic over the VT. I did not like the stand since it would be next to impossile to accomodate a center speaker unless it is wall mounted and also did not like the style of how the glass met the bezel vs the VT
post #1819 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

I'm not knocking the F8500 one bit and I think its a great display. In regards to the F8500 winning the shootout, the one thing the swayed me personally in the direction of the VT60 and not the F8500 was the comments in the CNET review of the F8500 that mentioned the mll rose slightly when using 24p playback for blu ray. While the mll of the VT60 is actually lowered in the 24p playback mode.

Bluray playback is freakin awesome i agree
sheshechic likes this.
post #1820 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

How is your VT60 better then the VT50 you owned. I have a VT 50 and considering the upgrade.
imo and my son we watch sports not hockey and movies and reg content and Straight the box we both was like "OMG" And it's not calibrated yet dad or has hours on it which can in prove it better..i hve few friends going from there vt50 to it..but im a reg joe ...But i give it an A+ ...vt50 looks soft comparedt to it imo...smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #1821 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

I think they can go brighter but the catch 22 is that an accurate calibrations was limited to those levels.

If you attended the shootout and heard different, please post.
Denniswrly likes this.
post #1822 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I think they can go brighter but the catch 22 is that an accurate calibrations was limited to those levels.

Ya D-Nice said that they could go brighter, around 40-45fl or something like that in thx day but the accuracy would be off. I only heard this from the live stream since I was not there.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #1823 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

Ya D-Nice said that they could go brighter, around 40-45fl or something like that in thx day but the accuracy would be off. I only heard this from the live stream since I was not there.
Might of been talking about the kuro.. Either way for night time you should be around 30-35 and day i might go slighter higher if possible
post #1824 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 909
Quote:

Quote:

imo and my son we watch sports not hockey and movies and reg content and Straight the box we both was like "OMG" And it's not calibrated yet dad or has hours on it which can in prove it better..i hve few friends going from there vt50 to it..but im a reg joe ...But i give it an A+ ...vt50 looks soft comparedt to it imo...smile.gif

That's good feedback. Any comment on whether the vt50 seems softer for bluray content?
post #1825 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Not shootout related but Chad got 43ftl out of day mode on the VT60 his cal looked pretty "accurate" to me

65JS9500
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3/Lumagen 2143
64F8500 for sale:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/253-pl...l#post35618090
post #1826 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Thanks, a shade better in terms of overall PQ. I think that's a fair assessment.

Well I guess it's all how one interprets the wording of a shade better. To me, this is a huge statement when talking about the reference KURO. Pretty amazing since so many for so long have wondered when the day would be, now they can have that with even a much bigger screen size to boot. smile.gif

Cheers!
post #1827 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

That's good feedback. Any comment on whether the vt50 seems softer for bluray content?
Don't mean to butt in, but I'd like to comment.

For native 1080p content, all 2013 models seem a little sharper. Where the 2013 models really shine is when processing upscaled content, 720p content, and 480p content. Miles ahead of last years models in terms of sharpness.
Denniswrly likes this.
post #1828 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Vt50 Blu-ray from my oppo 93 seemed good it was calibrated ..it was reg content Baseball,Basketball,sports and cable. vt60 seems better blu-ray and reg content more pop in PQ and color ,sharper.. Keep in mine got to b willing to go from vt50 to vt60 for the price is it worth it..i say yes forsure tilll oled comes out im good...cool.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #1829 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 65vt60 four days ago and was apprehensive with all the talk about fan noise. Mine does have fan noise but it is barely discernable in a quiet room and sitting 9 feet away. I measured the noise at both the right and left grills and they were just over 60 db. Temperature at both was right at 100 degrees. The PQ is exceptional.
post #1830 of 16221 Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 10
I will be replacing my 70" Sony SXRD XBR2 that has the green blob problem with the 65" VT, and I'm wondering if the 5" difference in picture size will make much of a difference. Also, for those who have this TV am I right in assuming the picture quality should be much better than the Sony I'm replacing?

Thanks for any input as I figure out what I'll be doing!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread