Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

A couple of other improvements I've noticed with the VT60 compared to my ST30:

- Video processing is improved: the scaling and deinterlacing looks a bit smoother and more natural on cable sources where as on the ST30 is looked a bit artificial and less natural.

- The audio of this set is really good for a flat panel. I have a complete audio system, but sometimes I don't bother turning it on for one reason or another, so this is a nice little perk.

David, how is the fan noise on your particular unit -- actually on both the units you have had? smile.gif

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

David, how is the fan noise on your particular unit -- actually on both the units you have had? smile.gif

Larry

Larry,

The fans have been equally extremely quiet on both sets - same goes for buzzing. These have been two complete non issues for me.

post #2163 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m gonna buy a VT60 tomorrow and I’ve been going over a lot of VT60/65B reviews.smile.gif

But then I saw something strange… Has anyone noticed that there’s a difference between the VT60 and the VT65B. And I’m not talking about how one is NTSC, and one is PAL, and the TV tuners are different. I’m saying I think the VT65B has better things built into it.

From what I see VT65B(UK) has these extras:
- USB 3.0 (1x)
- Headphone jack
- Multi Window POP/PAP
- Twin tuner
- More video format support(AVI)
- Pen included
- Game mode
- USB HDD recording

Can someone confirm that the VT60 (US) version is missing out on all of these fun extras? I mean there might be more then that but that’s just what I’ve noticed. And I hope I’m wrong on most of this stuff. Help a guy out this is messing with me.eek.gif

Pic of the VT60 in/outputs from the web:

Picture of the VT65B in/outputs from the web:
You can see at the very top right just below the SD card slot the headphone jack and third USB down the blue of the USB3.0
post #2164 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

My logic here is that the eyes are dominant and won't allow the ears to fully appreciate improvements in sound quality beyond a certain point when watching a movie or concert. .

really?

I would have to respectfully disagree with that

In a receiver based system an additional $1000 will buy you quite a bit more easily heard performance in any listening environment

If you have a receiver and buy a mulitchannel amp for $1000...and there are several good ones available in that range...anyone would decent hearing should hear a difference in dynamics

or..if you are running a system that is hard to drive...4ohm etc...and like to listen to your HT at reference levels....smile.gif.......... that extra $1000 is well spent

Its really no different than video. While there are some very good buys...such as the ST60....in the same size display an extra $1000 buys you quite a bit

and yes I know there are people that say they cant see of hear much discernible difference in better audio or video products

I get that ...if you cant...then I would say save your $$$

I unfortunately can...and sometimes I think its a curse...LOL

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #2165 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcauliffetj View Post

that would definitely be the way to go (at least until they can fix/sort this out)!

unfortunately i bought an onky TR-606 several years back, the HDMI board on that thing is terrible, it failed twice and was fixed twice under warranty but it failed again recently and it is now out of warranty and i've yet to have it fixed. so i can't run any video through my avr mad.gif. i have to run audio from the tv to the avr using an optical cable... what i need is a new avr (one that supports 3D and such) but convincing the wife that we should spend another big chunk of change so i can play xbox with pretty reds will be difficult!

Onkyos can be problematic ...I could tell you some stories...they have replaced two of mine with brand new units

are you using a blu ray player with 2 HDMI outputs to run 3D?......as I know the receiver you have is not 1.4 capable

another Onkyo reciever of higher end than the one you have...say a refurbished one from a4L.... a 3009 maybe...will be a small investment compared to the Tv you bought and will offer performance that will make wonder how you ever lived without it with the Tv you have now. if your wife enjoys good audio...she will be highly impressed with the performance difference

do buy the extended warranty on ANY Onkyo product..it will be your friend most likely

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #2166 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

really?

I would have to respectfully disagree with that

In a receiver based system an additional $1000 will buy you quite a bit more easily heard performance in any listening environment

Warren

I was thinking more like $20,000. I would spend a multiple of that on two channel hi-end (if I could), but not on HT.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #2167 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

I was thinking more like $20,000. I would spend a multiple of that on two channel hi-end (if I could), but not on HT.

agreed...if you are a discriminating person...I get that

Its all about the details

Though at that type of spend I would expect you to have multiple viewing and listening areas

though as I said...an extra $1000 can make a discernible difference in HT...in a receiver based system that difference in $$ is night and day

though clearly it wont compete with spending 20K more

Warren

post #2168 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

Have you tried CNET settings yet? I think they are even better than THX Cinema. Geometry Wars 2 is memorizing.

Definitely agree with how good the CNET settings look. I have yet seen any HD movies via DiSH or blu ray where colors don't look spot on with their settings and I have looked critically. My eyes must be pretty good since I felt even though the THX Cinema setting was pretty good that faces had a slight red push that i couldn't adjust out and then I read the same comments in a pro review pointing out the same slight red tilt to the THX Cinema setting but thought overall it was a very good setting to use. I'm sure many like the slight additional red.
post #2169 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The lines/banding are so very faint they will not be detected a camera. Most people would never even notice them on content..they are that faint.

Thanks, so it would seem that all VTs may have this to some extent? Would that be a fair statement?
post #2170 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, here's a stupid question for anyone that knows the answer.

How the heck do you access closed caption? There's a button on the remote labeled CC but doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyhow I haven't figured out with any flat panel I have ever owned how to get CC to work just by simply hitting one easy button without getting into a menu. I have to go into a dish menu to turn it on or off. Seems silly since I have a very old Panasonic CRT TV that automatically starts closed caption when the mute button is selected then turns off CC when mute is turned off. Seems this may not benpossible with the VT60 since the mute button never goes away and forces volume to be 0.

I don' t use CC that often at all but more wondering why I can't leave it on via my dish hd receiver while just hitting one simple button on the remote? Am I missing something?
post #2171 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

How the heck do you access closed caption? There's a button on the remote labeled CC but doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyhow I haven't figured out with any flat panel I have ever owned how to get CC to work just by simply hitting one easy button without getting into a menu. I have to go into a dish menu to turn it on or off. Seems silly since I have a very old Panasonic CRT TV that automatically starts closed caption when the mute button is selected then turns off CC when mute is turned off. Seems this may not benpossible with the VT60 since the mute button never goes away and forces volume to be 0.

I don' t use CC that often at all but more wondering why I can't leave it on via my dish hd receiver while just hitting one simple button on the remote? Am I missing something?
Weird mine does not work also..How in d hell you sell tv for this price and more hic ups than lower price ones eek.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #2172 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Weird mine does not work also..How in d hell you sell tv for this price and more hic ups than lower pice ones

Are you saying the CC works okay on the cheaper models by Panasonic or just generalizing?

I know each model has its own quirks such as the fans being noisy for some and maybe the mute symbol not going away but I consider this an extremely small thing. Actually I am very surprised how it seems the VT60 has a lot less issues this year compared to previous years and by a big amount. Evidence on this thread alone doesn't have a lot of folks complaining About many thing IMHO especially compared to what I remember reading on the VT30 thread. Boy, that thread went on and on with complaints about the issues with the inadequate accuracy of colors etc. Many posts here are more or less talking about the nature of the VT60.
post #2173 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyhow I haven't figured out with any flat panel I have ever owned how to get CC to work just by simply hitting one easy button without getting into a menu. I have to go into a dish menu to turn it on or off

My guess is that this is a Dish thing and that they are not putting out closed caption in the vertical refresh but instead insert it in the picture themselves when asked for with their remote. HDMI only transfers active video. Dish would have to insert it itself over an HDMI connection. The button on the remote probably works fine with content from the tuner.
post #2174 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsmith317 View Post

My guess is that this is a Dish thing and that they are not putting out closed caption in the vertical refresh but instead insert it in the picture themselves when asked for with their remote.

I think the dish receiver has something to do with it but why doesn't the CC button work? Also no idea where the CC option is listed in the menu. Typically it is very easy to find.but not with the VT60 unless I am missing something.
post #2175 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:

I think the dish receiver has something to do with it but why doesn't the CC button work? Also no idea where the CC option is listed in the menu. Typically it is very easy to find.but not with the VT60 unless I am missing something.
On my ST50 its in the Setup menu.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2176 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

For example, in 720p video there are 720 "active" video lines and 30 "blanked" lines you do not see for 750 total "lines" being sent. The CC info is in one of the blanked lines just before the active video. If you are receiving video over the air the CC data will be there and your button will work. The problem is that HDMI was designed for things like Blu Ray & DVD video video they only send the active data, the blank lines from the HDMI receiver are truely blank so their is no CC data in them. To compensate for this, dish and other HDMI players overlay the text into the video when you tell them to. That makes you have to press the dish remote cc not the tv cc when viewing over hdmi.
post #2177 of 15386 Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Buy a Harmony remote. You'll have all your remotes and buttons on one controller. Problem solved.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #2178 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Buy a Harmony remote. You'll have all your remotes and buttons on one controller. Problem solved.
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2179 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Weird mine does not work also..How in d hell you sell tv for this price and more hic ups than lower price ones eek.gif
A lot of stuff can be fixed with firm ware up dates.........
post #2180 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 17
Wow just checked my hours for the first time , up to 498 on my baby (100 hrs were slides)..

Anyway can anyone recommend a specific thing I can watch to check for banding lines or dse ... I have another 65"VT60 that's been running slides in the basement for like 500 hrs (not on purpose) .. I was hoping the fan noise on my second set would be better than my current one (it doesn't seem to be better) and I was gonna switch them out anyway after 300 hrs on the basement one

Anyway I thought I noticed a 1 inch vertical line about 1 inch from the right bezel that was lighter than the rest of the set , only noticeable on grey slides

But I can't tell if its my eyes playing tricks or if its really bad .. After staring at a 65" screen from a foot away my eyes get loopy after a min , so I was hoping something played would help me decide what screen is more uniform

Thanks !
post #2181 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a 65VT50. During the day, in a light room, I don't really have a big problem with reflections. Right now I have ZT on order. But I am wondering if VT would be good enough in my situation for day viewing. My question is, the VT60 the same/better/worse as the VT50 with reflections?

TWD
post #2182 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM
smc

Liked: 14
Is there a way to save the settings to a usb or network source?
post #2183 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I have a 65VT50. During the day, in a light room, I don't really have a big problem with reflections. Right now I have ZT on order. But I am wondering if VT would be good enough in my situation for day viewing. My question is, the VT60 the same/better/worse as the VT50 with reflections?

In my honest opinion, the VT60 outshines the VT50 in every aspect, except reflections. Its worse. I'm very happy to have upgraded despite this though. I really think you should stay on course with the ZT order.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #2184 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Very happy to report I ran a large LUT (4913 points) profile (takes about three hours with the settings I use) on my VT60, with very little IR that went away in a few minutes. biggrin.gif

What the above means is I had small window size (about 2% of the screen in the middle of the screen) color patterns for a LUT/profile calibration running for about 3 Hours.

I had about 200 hours on my VT60 when I started the profile.

ss
post #2185 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDR0NE View Post

I’m gonna buy a VT60 tomorrow and I’ve been going over a lot of VT60/65B reviews.smile.gif

But then I saw something strange… Has anyone noticed that there’s a difference between the VT60 and the VT65B. And I’m not talking about how one is NTSC, and one is PAL, and the TV tuners are different. I’m saying I think the VT65B has better things built into it.

From what I see VT65B(UK) has these extras:
- USB 3.0 (1x)
- Headphone jack
- Multi Window POP/PAP
- Twin tuner
- More video format support(AVI)
- Pen included
- Game mode
- USB HDD recording

Can someone confirm that the VT60 (US) version is missing out on all of these fun extras? I mean there might be more then that but that’s just what I’ve noticed. And I hope I’m wrong on most of this stuff. Help a guy out this is messing with me.eek.gif

Well I can confirm that the model for Germany/Austria/Switzerland 55VTW60 has all these features. In this video a Panasonic representative explains the features of the 2013 lineup, you can see the twin tuner in action (unfortunately in german):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3WeTO0VPQRk#t=158s

I think the USB 3.0 port has been implemented to enable USB-HD recording of two programs at the same time. Its even possible to record two programs and watch a recorded program on another TV set in the same network over the built-in DLNA server, this is shown later in the video. USB 2.0 would not be able to handle the corresponding data flow.
WARDR0NE likes this.
post #2186 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM

As usual, we in the US get hosed on features being removed.
post #2187 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV68 View Post

As usual, we in the US get hosed on features being removed.
We also pay a lot less then they are paying
post #2188 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

We also pay a lot less then they are paying

Thats very true, recommended selling price for the P55VTW60 is EUR 2.699,- (US$ 3.500,-). The P60ZT60E is EUR 4.499,- (US$ 5.850,-) mad.gif
WARDR0NE likes this.
post #2189 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM

I received my 60VT60 this morning. Assembling and installing the stand was a breeze with my friends help. I've been running slides for the past 2.5 hrs.

First impressions:
The unit is whisper quiet. I have to get right on top of it to hear a 'very' faint buzzing, and it's the same thing with the fans. They are inaudible from a foot away, and yes, I have excellent hearing. The unit however does run warm, much more so than my 3yr old 42" plasma. That older TV is almost twice the depth, so I'm most certain it dissipates heat better, even without fans.

I'll keep my eyes out for anything else I notice, and post it here.

I do wish there was a way to shut off the red 'power on' button, buy I anticipate that will come with a firmware update. If not, I'll cover it.
post #2190 of 15386 Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

Wow just checked my hours for the first time , up to 498 on my baby (100 hrs were slides)..

Anyway can anyone recommend a specific thing I can watch to check for banding lines or dse ... I have another 65"VT60 that's been running slides in the basement for like 500 hrs (not on purpose) .. I was hoping the fan noise on my second set would be better than my current one (it doesn't seem to be better) and I was gonna switch them out anyway after 300 hrs on the basement one

Anyway I thought I noticed a 1 inch vertical line about 1 inch from the right bezel that was lighter than the rest of the set , only noticeable on grey slides

But I can't tell if its my eyes playing tricks or if its really bad .. After staring at a 65" screen from a foot away my eyes get loopy after a min , so I was hoping something played would help me decide what screen is more uniform

Thanks !

That far right vertical line has been on three VT60s I have looked at including mine.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65vt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page