Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Nope i am sure they are all made the same. I only hear fans when volume is completely,off even then the fan noise isnt bad.. At all

This..

The only time I can hear the fan noise, is when the receiver is on mute, and the room is completely quite. It also just sounds like a regular computer fan, no whirring, no change in fan speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

We all know you love the CNET settings, you've said it several times! We know they're your "end all" settings. Glad you enjoy them. Do we need to read it every day?

Sorry for the annoyance but really seems not a bad as the endless discussion on the fan noise that no one can really quantify without being in the room with the person wondering if the fan noise is too loud. How about a dB meter that can easily be purchased from Radio Shack like the one I have. At least this might quantify what the db reading is right at the fans with the room completely quiet so others can do the same and share dB levels to see how this differs from one display to the other. This would seem a little more useful. Anyhow it seems others agree with my CNET settings being useful so to answer your question, yes if I so desire. I did mention how improved the motion handling was. smile.gif

Cheers!

Relax, it's the weekend!
post #2433 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

I don't understand where people are getting this untrue idea that the ST has better blacks. Its mind boggling. Its amazing seeing how a misinterpretation can spread into fact so quickly.

Agreed. I guess it just takes one person to misstate something and then it just takes off as fact.

post #2434 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Agreed. I guess it just takes one person to misstate something and then it just takes off as fact.

Nah that never happens here at all lol

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2435 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

VT60 settings should be avaialble sometime next week.

Great timing! My slideshow hits 100 hours this afternoon, so I'll be using THX Cinema until these are posted.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #2436 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

For normal viewing (not panel prep slides, etc), do you set the pixel orbiter to "On"?

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #2437 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

For normal viewing (not panel prep slides, etc), do you set the pixel orbiter to "On"?

Yes, it is recommended since past posts say Auto is really off and on is on. Best to change to on, doesn't affect PQ negatively.
post #2438 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 15
Folks, the couple of VTs I've seen in store show some degree of DSE and verticle bands. From the posts here I can't really get a sense for if this is typical or not. Obviously many happy owners here but I watch a lot of hockey and this could be an issue for me. Short of starting a poll, would appreciate some feedback from anyone that does not see this on their panel. Thanks
post #2439 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

Folks, the couple of VTs I've seen in store show some degree of DSE and verticle bands. From the posts here I can't really get a sense for if this is typical or not. Obviously many happy owners here but I watch a lot of hockey and this could be an issue for me. Short of starting a poll, would appreciate some feedback from anyone that does not see this on their panel. Thanks

I've seen it on three models including mine and the one I swapped out. I don't watch much hockey, but last night flipped it on and it is noticeable. With the Disney WOW disc, I looked at some of the Pixar clips and not really an issue. However, I still see the effect from time to time on content.

post #2440 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I haven't noticed DSE, but I haven't looked for it either. I haven't watched much hockey. I will try to look for it and report back.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #2441 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer...getting my 60" VT60 on Monday from EastCoastTV's.

The tv will be going into a built in cabnet on the wall. The entire built-in is white...since the tv will be sitting back on the shelf in the built in surrounded on all sides with white paint how will this affect the picture? The good news is since it sits back any ambient light won't hit it and its a decently dim room...any ideas as to how the VT60 surrounded by white cabnets would affect the picture postively or negatively?

Thanks!
post #2442 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzger View Post

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer...getting my 60" VT60 on Monday from EastCoastTV's.

The tv will be going into a built in cabnet on the wall. The entire built-in is white...since the tv will be sitting back on the shelf in the built in surrounded on all sides with white paint how will this affect the picture? The good news is since it sits back any ambient light won't hit it and its a decently dim room...any ideas as to how the VT60 surrounded by white cabnets would affect the picture postively or negatively?

Thanks!

Kind of hard to answer not knowing how it looks. Guess it depends if the white detracts from the black bezel and picture or not. Each is different on what bothers them since some can't stand the red power LED. I would prefer black trim to go with the black bezel but sure it is white for a reason. I wonder more if heat will be an issue with the panel inset like you are planning. Is there a way heat can escape? Some have noted the area around the fans getting pretty hot even though mine don't, warm only.
post #2443 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I haven't noticed DSE, but I haven't looked for it either. I haven't watched much hockey. I will try to look for it and report back.
imo do not look for something thats not seen to you now.Because then it will haunt you ...smile.gif
chunon likes this.

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #2444 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

L
Lol
How about those CNET settings

Never tried them, so I can't comment on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

as I said you are on my ignore list so don't waste your time to the op sorry for the bad info

It would be pointless for me to try and help you for the simply reason you don't have a VT60, I am simply correcting your misinformation.
As I tried to say, the VT50 all be it a very nice display is not the same as the VT60. However you still keep thinking it is the same.

btw, you may want to use the multi quote function. Yes I know you can't raise your post count as quickly
Also you may want to look up the meaning of the word ignore, it seems that you don't understand what that word means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

Yes, it is recommended since past posts say Auto is really off and on is on. Best to change to on, doesn't affect PQ negatively.

Why is that.
You must know that the Cnet settings you seem to like suggest to set orbiter to auto (off).
Orbiter simply shifts the display on the screen, therefore causing a negative result in some cases where the screen size is set to full 1, if set to 95% then that should offset this negative result.
Also what the orbiter does is takes the logo from broadcast sources, rather than a defined IR image (orbiter is off) you end up with a distorted (blob) logo (orbiter is on).

So there are trade offs and no one right way to set the Orbiter, other than to have a non-technical understanding.

ss
post #2445 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

imo do not look for something thats not seen to you now.Because then it will haunt you ...smile.gif

Agree that will get you into trouble, gotta raise that post count lmao

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2446 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzger View Post

Thanks!
just a thought black the section it sits in and sides idk..Thinking light from tv reflecting off the white...Not a pro here by no means but thats what i would do...smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #2447 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post

This..

The only time I can hear the fan noise, is when the receiver is on mute, and the room is completely quite. It also just sounds like a regular computer fan, no whirring, no change in fan speed.

Same here
post #2448 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can hear fan noise and buzzing from about 10 feet away from the screen when the volume is muted, but it is very slight.

I recently upgraded my Dish 722 DVR with a new Hopper model. The 722 had a loud fan and hard drive..I didnt really start noticing the VT60 fans until I got rid of the Dish 722.

I tried to use a radio shack SPL meter to measure the fan and buzzing...but it barely registers a reading. 50-55db will register for a second or two then it goes back to "LO" (the meter cant measure below 50db).
post #2449 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

I love the CNET settings. Game of Thrones looks spectacular. They are the end all be all of picture settings.

Long live CNET settings.

+1
post #2450 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I hope admins take note. Perhaps you have nothing better to do than troll and flame online forums.

Oh and for the record, dnice suggests setting the orbiter off/auto.

I was the only one that replied giving my opinion on the setting being set on. H D J and other forums have plenty of posts saying best to have it on while sure others like D-nice say turn it off. Kind of pointless to have someone read the riot act of the setting like I don't know the purpose of it when they could reply to the original post providing their thoughts. Seems some just like to getting pointing out why this or that isn't totally accurate instead of trying to help.

In case you didn't notice, someone gave a thumbs up on my post so guess others think differently than yourself. Also I honestly can't even remember the VT30 thread so kind of weird that you remember things so well but what I said then.
post #2451 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
i'm usually not impressed by the PQ of basketball broadcasts. sure the closeups can be pretty good but the actual game action is meh. maybe its because by the time you focus on a player you are only dealing with something like 80x100 pixels.

i have noticed sac kings and sf giants comcast broadcasts are sometimes a lot better maybe its they never went up to a satellite.

when i switch to xbox or blu-ray i remember how awesome the vt60 panel actually is.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #2452 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

i'm usually not impressed by the PQ of basketball broadcasts. sure the closeups can be pretty good but the actual game action is meh. maybe its because by the time you focus on a player you are only dealing with something like 80x100 pixels.

i have noticed sac kings and sf giants comcast broadcasts are sometimes a lot better maybe its they never went up to a satellite.

when i switch to xbox or blu-ray i remember how awesome the vt60 panel actually is.

It's definitely the broadcast and signal. As you've noticed some look amazing, some not so much. I've noticed the same with NFL, cbs looks great, fox doesn't.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #2453 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

I have noticed a few things going from the ST30 to the VT60 in this regard.

I have Time Warner Cable and do notice more pixelation and artifacts with the VT60 on stations compared to the ST30. However, I think this is because the scaling and deinterlacing is actually more superior on the VT60, but that means showing more flaws in source material like this. The VT60 processing does take on a smoother, more natural look than the ST30 on cable sources, but at the same time it seems to show more flaws when they exist.

post #2454 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

Yes, every Vt60 I have seen exhibits this. My current one is being returned due to a very prominent line. I've seen others that have it to a lesser degree though, but it's very typical for these sets.
post #2455 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Screen format FULL or JUST? What is JUST all about?

post #2456 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Screen format FULL or JUST? What is JUST all about?

You should be using FULL.

Not sure the point of JUST, but it streches and distorts the image.
post #2457 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Wife got a raise, so the VT will win over the ST. What mode is ideal for calibration?

I own an i1 Pro, D3 and ChromaPure, so I am looking for the best starting point. That and control cal...
post #2458 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Wife got a raise, so the VT will win over the ST. What mode is ideal for calibration?

I own an i1 Pro, D3 and ChromaPure, so I am looking for the best starting point. That and control cal...

Cinema, Custom, Pro 1 and 2.
Chances are you may find one or two of the default modes like THX Cinema and THX 3D to be very good. Some folks seem to like THX bright room also.

I just ran a large LUT profile on my VT60, I posted a few charts here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454460/lightspace-3d-lut-home-cinema-calibration-software/90#post_23403442
The interesting thing to note in these charts is how good a 4913 point Gamut came out. Look at the Gamut cube and see how very few errors there are in such a large Cube of 4913 points.

btw D-Nice will be posting his Calibration setting for a normal calibration that most folks have, soon.

Enjoy, and give the wife a congrats for me. smile.gif

ss
post #2459 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:

It's definitely the broadcast and signal. As you've noticed some look amazing, some not so much. I've noticed the same with NFL, cbs looks great, fox doesn't.
All depends on the camera's used.........
post #2460 of 15568 Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

All depends on the camera's used.........
So cannot wait . Big D will be in cali end of month to do his magic on my 65vt60..i feel like a celebrity is coming and i need apt clean and proper lol..Can anyone who knows D-nice equipment he uses to cal pm me plox....just curios i know he uses klien but what else? sorry accidentally click your quote Cleveand p

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page