Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I have to say the 60vt60 is close to my now sold Kuro 5020. It is a big jump from my 65vt30.

how does a VHS tape look on it?

Noticed you are sporting a pair of VCRs in your equipment rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Nice setup smile.gif congrats !

Thanks! Just loaded up my 65vt30 for it's new buyer and it about killed us getting that heavy thing in the back seat of his truck.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2703 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post

how does a VHS tape look on it?

Noticed you are sporting a pair of VCRs in your equipment rack.

I have cable thru the wall running into two S-VHS VCR's, as i don't have a cable box. It looks pretty good , but don't compare to BD or OTA-HD.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2704 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
65VT60 was delivered and set up. Just to post for others, I have an April build, and I hear no fan noise/buzzing whatsoever. I mean nothing. I'm technically "working" from home today, and I've been playing Avatar without the sound on. There is no noise coming from the TV at all. And just to comment, the picture quality is simply amazing.

I do have one question though. The picture doesn't seem to fill up the entire screen. There appears to be very small (maybe a few centimeters) between the actual picture and the bezel. I checked the picture settings and it was set to Size 1 which I believe is for full screen. I thought someone else posted something like this, but it's almost impossible to search for one topic in a thread this big. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!
post #2705 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaners View Post

65VT60 was delivered and set up. Just to post for others, I have an April build, and I hear no fan noise/buzzing whatsoever. I mean nothing. I'm technically "working" from home today, and I've been playing Avatar without the sound on. There is no noise coming from the TV at all. And just to comment, the picture quality is simply amazing.

I do have one question though. The picture doesn't seem to fill up the entire screen. There appears to be very small (maybe a few centimeters) between the actual picture and the bezel. I checked the picture settings and it was set to Size 1 which I believe is for full screen. I thought someone else posted something like this, but it's almost impossible to search for one topic in a thread this big. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!

That's normal. Congrats on the TV and the quiet fans.

TWD
post #2706 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. That seems to be the setting everyone agrees looks best out of the box.

I have to agree with Silly Sally and regarding using Pro 1 (or Pro 2) versus Cinema THX. Pro 1 and 2 look much sharper with just about everything else being better in my opinion. I kept jumping back and forth between them (Pro1, 2, THX Cin) with the Dark Knight Rises for reference Saturday night - I suggest you use your favorite reference disk and check them out. Silly Sally posted his settings on the Settings/Issue thread using Pro 1. You can also find some recommended settings on the European threads - the reviews and final settings that have been posted on the other side of the pond seem to all recommend Pro 1 or 2 as well. I suggest you give them a try. You can unlock the Pro modes during setup - instructions have been posted on the VT60/65 thread or post if you need help figuring it out.

CHASLS2 - put some hours and dial in your VT60 and I would bet you will soon see it surpasses the 5020 - much better on dithering too. I am over 200 hours now and there is no doubt that its picture with only my adjustments surpasses the 5020 it replaced (calibrated by D-Nice). I am looking forward to his visit next month to calibrate my 60VT60 - it's a great display. A lot of posts are dedicated to the fan noise and not so many regarding just how great this display is. Hopefully those with the fan noise can find a solution soon (a little help Panasonic) and we can all enjoy our new purchases. VHS - I thought I was old school keeping my HD-DVD collection. Have any cassette tapes smile.gif
post #2707 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

Thank you!

Make sure "Screen Format" is set to Full.

Try these settings for Blu Ray movies.
Advance Picture
3:2 PullDown: Auto

HDMI Content Type and auto detailing.
Off

HDMI/DVI RGB Range
Standard (16-235)

Screen format, Full
Overscan, Off
H Size, 1
Screen display, On
4:3 side bars Off (for Blu Ray disc)
Pixel orbiter, Auto

ss
post #2708 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I have to agree with Silly Sally and regarding using Pro 1 (or Pro 2) versus Cinema THX. Pro 1 and 2 look much sharper with just about everything else being better in my opinion. I kept jumping back and forth between them (Pro1, 2, THX Cin) with the Dark Knight Rises for reference Saturday night - I suggest you use your favorite reference disk and check them out. Silly Sally posted his settings on the Settings/Issue thread using Pro 1. You can also find some recommended settings on the European threads - the reviews and final settings that have been posted on the other side of the pond seem to all recommend Pro 1 or 2 as well. I suggest you give them a try. You can unlock the Pro modes during setup - instructions have been posted on the VT60/65 thread or post if you need help figuring it out.

CHASLS2 - put some hours and dial in your VT60 and I would bet you will soon see it surpasses the 5020 - much better on dithering too. I am over 200 hours now and there is no doubt that its picture with only my adjustments surpasses the 5020 it replaced (calibrated by D-Nice). I am looking forward to his visit next month to calibrate my 60VT60 - it's a great display. A lot of posts are dedicated to the fan noise and not so many regarding just how great this display is. Hopefully those with the fan noise can find a solution soon (a little help Panasonic) and we can all enjoy our new purchases. VHS - I thought I was old school keeping my HD-DVD collection. Have any cassette tapes smile.gif

Yes i have a cassette deck with my system. Once i get 300 hours i will have Dnice come over. I hear no buzzing or fans.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2709 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 42
Hello everyone - after reading countless threads and reviews on the internet, I decided to pull the trigger on a 65VT60 last week. Purchased at a standalone Magnolia store in Bellevue, WA. I thought I'd share my impressions on the VT60 for anyone that was on the fence like I was. I also own a Samsung 64" D8000 plasma (living room) and a 58" B860 plasma (bedroom). We just sold our Sammy LCD to make room for the Panny. Currently running the D-Nice slides to prep for a calibration next weekend..

So out of the box, none of the presets really float my boat. THX modes are not bad, but reds looked a little hot. I tried the CNET settings, which I found to be pretty good. I used the Disney WOW bluray to tweak the CNET settings, and now i'm pretty happy with the picture (at least before the professional calibration). I watched Dark Knight Rises, Dark Knight, and Avatar on bluray to compare to my Samsung Plasmas. The VT60 obviously had darker black levels, but its the way the black remains dark throughout the movie that really impressed me. No issues with brightness pops here. There is also no black level penalty when engaging 24p playback on bluray, like there is with my Sammy plasmas.
Hard to describe, but the colors on the VT are very saturated, but life-like, which in combination with the black levels really produced a fantastic film-like picture that I never really acheived with the Samsungs. To be fair, I love my Sammy Plasmas. Colors are rich and bright, and I find their screens are less reflective than the VT60. Also, I give the Sammys a slight edge on material from FioS (1080i). They producer a sharper image on most channels, which is especially noticeable on the menu screens and text. I find the VT to be a little lacking in the sharpness department, but only on non-1080p material.

However in my theater/rec room, where the VT sits, watching Blurays movies, my Sammys cannot produce the type of image the VT can. I'm sure the new F8500 plasma from Samsung would also easily outperform my older Sammys, but I was able to get my VT60 for $400 less than a comparable F8500, so I went with it. I'm not biased towards either company, and I simply wanted the highest performing plasma that I could afford, and that was the VT60 for me. The only other gripe is the fan noise. At normal listening volumes, it is not too noticeable unless you're trying to hear it. But at lower volumes, the fan noise is a bit more obvious than I would like. Oddly enough, the plasma buzz is much quieter on the VT60 than my Sammy plasmas, but that is offset with this fan noise. Oh well..

Other than that, the VT60 is an awesome set, and I can only imagine how much better it will be with a professional calibration. If the calibrator is able to find a way to sharpen up the image coming from FioS, I tell you now that I will never upgrade the VT60 (well, at least until a 100" 4K set is available for under $3K)..

Room1:Panasonic 65VT60/Yamaha A1010/Denon DBT1713/Definitive BP8, CLR2300, SM350/Martin Logan Dynamo1000
Room2:Samsung 64D8000/Yamaha A730/Definitive BP8040, BP6, Mythos 3/PS3, Xbox 360
Bedroom:Samsung 58B860
Office:Audioengine N22/Fiio D3 DAC/Athena P5/Polk PSW10
Car:Acura ELS DVD-audio/Focal
post #2710 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 315
That sounds exactly like what the other hometheater enthusiasts notice as well. The difference between the blacks is disingenuosly dismissed due to numbers being stated with deceptiely small decimals yet is analagous to a subwoofer that really gets down to .0020Khz versus .0030Khz - significant and obvious to the ears, as the blacks are with the eyes . For hometheater, you're just not going to get any better than this in the plasma department. If you don't care as much about bluray's at night and want your dollar to go more towards daytime/cable source material, you aren't going to beat the F8500 in that deaprtment.

oh and btw, congratulations on your new tv....the calibration definitely knocks the socks off an already great picture on my vt50, so I'm sure it would be the same with your new vt60 biggrin.gif
post #2711 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamz View Post

Hello everyone - after reading countless threads and reviews on the internet, I decided to pull the trigger on a 65VT60 last week. Purchased at a standalone Magnolia store in Bellevue, WA. I thought I'd share my impressions on the VT60 for anyone that was on the fence like I was. I also own a Samsung 64" D8000 plasma (living room) and a 58" B860 plasma (bedroom). We just sold our Sammy LCD to make room for the Panny. Currently running the D-Nice slides to prep for a calibration next weekend..

So out of the box, none of the presets really float my boat. THX modes are not bad, but reds looked a little hot. I tried the CNET settings, which I found to be pretty good. I used the Disney WOW bluray to tweak the CNET settings, and now i'm pretty happy with the picture (at least before the professional calibration). I watched Dark Knight Rises, Dark Knight, and Avatar on bluray to compare to my Samsung Plasmas. The VT60 obviously had darker black levels, but its the way the black remains dark throughout the movie that really impressed me. No issues with brightness pops here. There is also no black level penalty when engaging 24p playback on bluray, like there is with my Sammy plasmas.
Hard to describe, but the colors on the VT are very saturated, but life-like, which in combination with the black levels really produced a fantastic film-like picture that I never really acheived with the Samsungs. To be fair, I love my Sammy Plasmas. Colors are rich and bright, and I find their screens are less reflective than the VT60. Also, I give the Sammys a slight edge on material from FioS (1080i). They producer a sharper image on most channels, which is especially noticeable on the menu screens and text. I find the VT to be a little lacking in the sharpness department, but only on non-1080p material.

However in my theater/rec room, where the VT sits, watching Blurays movies, my Sammys cannot produce the type of image the VT can. I'm sure the new F8500 plasma from Samsung would also easily outperform my older Sammys, but I was able to get my VT60 for $400 less than a comparable F8500, so I went with it. I'm not biased towards either company, and I simply wanted the highest performing plasma that I could afford, and that was the VT60 for me. The only other gripe is the fan noise. At normal listening volumes, it is not too noticeable unless you're trying to hear it. But at lower volumes, the fan noise is a bit more obvious than I would like. Oddly enough, the plasma buzz is much quieter on the VT60 than my Sammy plasmas, but that is offset with this fan noise. Oh well..

Other than that, the VT60 is an awesome set, and I can only imagine how much better it will be with a professional calibration. If the calibrator is able to find a way to sharpen up the image coming from FioS, I tell you now that I will never upgrade the VT60 (well, at least until a 100" 4K set is available for under $3K)..

The lack of sharpness you are experiencing on the non 1080p material is one of the main reasons that i got rid of my VT50.. Looks like the problem still exists on the vt60 series..

Panasonic GT50 50"
Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT50 55" (Sold)
Pansaonic VT60 60" (Sold)
post #2712 of 14809 Old 06-18-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Troll alert
Denniswrly likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2713 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

The lack of sharpness you are experiencing on the non 1080p material is one of the main reasons that i got rid of my VT50.. Looks like the problem still exists on the vt60 series..

I know some folks have a problem with using the Darbee, but if you want to slightly sharpen the picture, use Green 50. It does do a good job in that regard.
post #2714 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
But at lower volumes, the fan noise is a bit more obvious than I would like. Oddly enough, the plasma buzz is much quieter on the VT60 than my Sammy plasmas, but that is offset with this fan noise. Oh well..

There can't be anything more irritating than fan noise combined with buzzing. That is somewhat disturbing from what's supposed to be a top flight plasma TV.
post #2715 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Quote:
But at lower volumes, the fan noise is a bit more obvious than I would like. Oddly enough, the plasma buzz is much quieter on the VT60 than my Sammy plasmas, but that is offset with this fan noise. Oh well..

There can't be anything more irritating than fan noise combined with buzzing. That is somewhat disturbing from what's supposed to be a top flight plasma TV.

Ditto.

TWD
post #2716 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

What did you get in place of the VT50?
post #2717 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

That sounds exactly like what the other hometheater enthusiasts notice as well. The difference between the blacks is disingenuosly dismissed due to numbers being stated with deceptiely small decimals yet is analagous to a subwoofer that really gets down to .0020Khz versus .0030Khz - significant and obvious to the ears, as the blacks are with the eyes . For hometheater, you're just not going to get any better than this in the plasma department. If you don't care as much about bluray's at night and want your dollar to go more towards daytime/cable source material, you aren't going to beat the F8500 in that deaprtment.

oh and btw, congratulations on your new tv....the calibration definitely knocks the socks off an already great picture on my vt50, so I'm sure it would be the same with your new vt60 biggrin.gif

In reference to sub-woofers, don't you mean hz and not khz.
post #2718 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

In reference to sub-woofers, don't you mean hz and not khz.

No he means KHz since he used the decimals (what he was trying to point out). .020 KHz and .030 KHz doesn't sound like too much of a difference, but if you state it as 20 Hz and 30 Hz it does. Also, you definitely can hear the difference.
post #2719 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post

The 60 series have very little image retention. I got caught up in a 2 hour session of Geomtry Wars 2 , which has a bright green HUD with scores, etc. after using the set for ten or so hours. Using the pixel sweeper, I noticed some mild image retention but when I came back to the set five minutes later it was totally gone. On the GT50, even after 1000 hours of use, I would have still had mild IR after two or three hours of pixel sweep/mixed content. Long story short: this is an amazing gaming set.

Just want to say that I really appreciate this report. It's great to hear some news about the VT60 IR from someone who's familiar with the XX50 IR issue (what you describe with hours of dynamic content required to wipe 2 hours of game HUD is exactly what I experience on the GT50). This piece of data has very likely just sold me a VT60, as everything else about it is essentially perfect (excellent PQ, good latency numbers, generally good reports of screen uniformity). Just out of curiosity, what contrast setting were you using?
post #2720 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I Put my 60VT60 on mute and i do hear the fan- fans if i stick my head back there. But when i'm laying in bed 11ft away i don't hear them.

Also, i don't seem to be getting any audio from the optical out to my AVR. Is there something i'm missing on the vt60 for not getting audio from my optical out?

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2721 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:

I Put my 60VT60 on mute and i do hear the fan- fans if i stick my head back there. But when i'm laying in bed 11ft away i don't hear them.

Also, i don't seem to be getting any audio from the optical out to my AVR. Is there something i'm missing on the vt60 for not getting audio from my optical out?
No. It is most likely a setting in your avr.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2722 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

No. It is most likely a setting in your avr.

I have done nothing to change a setting in the AVR since it was unhooked from my 65vt30.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2723 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd look for your vt60 settings that lets you enable the optical out mode....i seem to remember something like that on my vt50 or other tv, i forget which.
post #2724 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd look for your vt60 settings that lets you enable the optical out mode....i seem to remember something like that on my vt50 or other tv, i forget which.
There is nothing like that that I am aware of on the Panasonics. I didnt have to change any settings to make it work.

post #2725 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have done nothing to change a setting in the AVR since it was unhooked from my 65vt30.
Are you using the same input?

post #2726 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

you made me chk my manual now. you're right. It did say the optical output could get disabled by a copyright protection function on whatever you connect it to (DVD/ AVR). Maybe that has something to do with it.
post #2727 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Are you using the same input?

Yes, the TV input on the AVR, pulled the cable out of the AVR and it lights up red on the end. Beats me. It's not a big deal since i just use the tv speakers most times for OTA-HD and cable.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2728 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you made me chk my manual now. you're right. It did say the optical output could get disabled by a copyright protection function on whatever you connect it to (DVD/ AVR). Maybe that has something to do with it.

Beats me.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2729 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
Hey everyone. Just joined the forum as it seems to be a legitimate source of information. I received my 60vt60 a few days ago and am starting to research the best strategies for picture quality. I plan on reading through this thread to get my head rapped around it as I do not have much previous knowledge on HDTV tech.

Realizing the answers to these questions are within this thread already I'd still like to get some basic knowledge atm.

I do not plan on spending the money for a quality calibration very soon. With that said I have some time to reach the ideal 300 hour break in period. However, with this brand new tv how weary do I need to be of static images on the screen like a HUD on call of duty, score indicators on sports, black bars, etc?

I've read that the constant running of slides does not improve the picture quality vs watching regular media for the break in. true or some debate?

Are there some "ideal" settings people have been content with before doing a real calibration listed on here to use as a starting point. I noticed some artifacts while watching The Art of Flight (snowboard video) around the riders from the distant shots. Not sure of how to manipulate the settings for motion.

thanks. Lewie
post #2730 of 14809 Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDR View Post

Hey everyone. Just joined the forum as it seems to be a legitimate source of information. I received my 60vt60 a few days ago and am starting to research the best strategies for picture quality. I plan on reading through this thread to get my head rapped around it as I do not have much previous knowledge on HDTV tech.

Realizing the answers to these questions are within this thread already I'd still like to get some basic knowledge atm.

I do not plan on spending the money for a quality calibration very soon. With that said I have some time to reach the ideal 300 hour break in period. However, with this brand new tv how weary do I need to be of static images on the screen like a HUD on call of duty, score indicators on sports, black bars, etc?

I've read that the constant running of slides does not improve the picture quality vs watching regular media for the break in. true or some debate?

Are there some "ideal" settings people have been content with before doing a real calibration listed on here to use as a starting point. I noticed some artifacts while watching The Art of Flight (snowboard video) around the riders from the distant shots. Not sure of how to manipulate the settings for motion.

thanks. Lewie

Stay away from static images, Black bars, as much as you can for at least 100 hours. If you do start to see IR run your sweeper over night.

Slides don't improve the image. However many of us have used D-Nice's slides with no side affects that I know of, just to get some hours on are VT60.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread#post_23157975

THX cinema, cinema or Pro 1 or 2.

ss
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page