Excellent Smart TV platform

Highly effective remote app

Well designed menus and remote control

Attractive design and excellent build quality
Cons

Some DFC

Stand doesn't swivel

Fans might bother some

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV_507/Review.html

See less See more
#4,381 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbragwel  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652024

I am having the same issue. I use a Harmony remote and I love it, but unfortunately, what I've learned from testing is that if the TV (I have the VT60) is not powered up at least a few seconds before my AV receiver, it does not detect the ARC signal and will not work with the receiver.. There's apparently some timing issue and if the TV boots up and does not detect the signal at some point during booting up, it will not try again to detect it.

Yes, I can boot the devices up on their own, but that does defeat using Activities with the Harmony remote.

This seems like something that Panasonic could fix in a firmware update.

Let me correct myself. I did some troubleshooting last night:

I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 receiver

1) TV and Receiver powered up at the same time; ARC does not work

2) TV is powered up fully and then I power up the Receiver; ARC works

3) Receiver is powered up and then I power up the TV; ARC does not work

When ARC is not working, I can go into the Setup menu in the Receiver, disable and re-enable ARC and it will work until the devices are powered off and back on. This is definitely a timing issue during the boot-up of the devices and the fact that apparently the Yamaha receiver sends out a signal(?) for ARC during boot-up that it does not send out anymore unless disabled and re-enabled, so when the TV is booting and looks for that signal, it's already been sent, the TV didn't get it, and ARC does not work.

I've sent in a request with Yamaha about this.

#4,382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbragwel  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652072

Let me correct myself. I did some troubleshooting last night:

I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 receiver

1) TV and Receiver powered up at the same time; ARC does not work

2) TV is powered up fully and then I power up the Receiver; ARC works

3) Receiver is powered up and then I power up the TV; ARC does not work

When ARC is not working, I can go into the Setup menu in the Receiver, disable and re-enable ARC and it will work until the devices are powered off and back on. This is definitely a timing issue during the boot-up of the devices and the fact that apparently the Yamaha receiver sends out a signal(?) for ARC during boot-up that it does not send out anymore unless disabled and re-enabled, so when the TV is booting and looks for that signal, it's already been sent, the TV didn't get it, and ARC does not work.

I've sent in a request with Yamaha about this.

Interesting that you posted this. I have the Harmony One as well and I'm just starting to like it after 2 weeks. I was so used to my old 880 and this one is so different. I have been having an "issue" as well and not sure if it can be fixed. I actaully have the ARC turn on when I DON'T need it to. I have DirecTV, Apple TV, and then use the onboard apps on the Panasonic VT60 as another activity. The "watching tv apps" is the ONLY activity where ARC needs to be enabled. Everything goes into a Monoprice 4X1 HDMI switch (model 7974) that supports ARC and 3D and has a Toslink Out that I run to a Klipsch sound bar. When I watch DirecTV or Apple TV ARC is NOT enabled because the sound goes directly to the soundbar. However, when watching the onboard apps, the tv has to send sound to the switch and then to the sound bar which I assume is the reason ARC needs to be on.

My issue is when first powering up the tv from off to watch DirecTV. I have the TV turn on first, then the DirecTV, the sound bar and last the HDMI switch. The TV comes on with the Viera TV logo for a few seconds at which point everything else turns on and I can hear DirecTV sound. The a few seconds later the TV switches to a black screen with that gray bar at the top and the words homescreen on the top left with the red, green button logos. Its at this exact point that the switch senses something and goes to ARC. Then the tv swiches off of that screen and I have Directv picture but no sound because its on ARC. I always have to go into the harmony and hit devices, monoprice switch, and then hit ARC which turns it off and everything is fine.

It's like everything is good until I get that screen on the VT60 which is just temporary for like 3 seconds or so that causes the ARC to turn on and then the screen goes away and I have a picture. Do you think there is a way to have the harmony delay turning on the switch for like 5-6 seconds until the tv has a DirecTV picture and will not send that temporary ARC signal? Even having the switch turn on last is not enough time for the tv to get through that temprary screen that mudt be sending an ARC signal.

#4,383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652180

Interesting that you posted this. I have the Harmony One as well and I'm just starting to like it after 2 weeks. I was so used to my old 880 and this one is so different. I have been having an "issue" as well and not sure if it can be fixed. I actaully have the ARC turn on when I DON'T need it to. I have DirecTV, Apple TV, and then use the onboard apps on the Panasonic VT60 as another activity. The "watching tv apps" is the ONLY activity where ARC needs to be enabled. Everything goes into a Monoprice 4X1 HDMI switch (model 7974) that supports ARC and 3D and has a Toslink Out that I run to a Klipsch sound bar. When I watch DirecTV or Apple TV ARC is NOT enabled because the sound goes directly to the soundbar. However, when watching the onboard apps, the tv has to send sound to the switch and then to the sound bar which I assume is the reason ARC needs to be on.

My issue is when first powering up the tv from off to watch DirecTV. I have the TV turn on first, then the DirecTV, the sound bar and last the HDMI switch. The TV comes on with the Viera TV logo for a few seconds at which point everything else turns on and I can hear DirecTV sound. The a few seconds later the TV switches to a black screen with that gray bar at the top and the words homescreen on the top left with the red, green button logos. Its at this exact point that the switch senses something and goes to ARC. Then the tv swiches off of that screen and I have Directv picture but no sound because its on ARC. I always have to go into the harmony and hit devices, monoprice switch, and then hit ARC which turns it off and everything is fine.

It's like everything is good until I get that screen on the VT60 which is just temporary for like 3 seconds or so that causes the ARC to turn on and then the screen goes away and I have a picture. Do you think there is a way to have the harmony delay turning on the switch for like 5-6 seconds until the tv has a DirecTV picture and will not send that temporary ARC signal? Even having the switch turn on last is not enough time for the tv to get through that temprary screen that mudt be sending an ARC signal.

I've seen threads in the Harmony forums that you can contact Logitech and they can "add in" the ability to delay devices powering on to resolve issues like this. I called them last night. It seems I was told that I'd have to pay for extended services for them to add this ability which kind of ruffles my feathers seeing as how much the remote cost in the first place. Maybe you'd have better luck with them. I'm going to call extended services today (I don't know how much it costs) and see about this.

#4,388 ·
One week ago Chad B calibrated my 65VT60. It was worth the cost, and I will never buy a new TV without getting it calibrated.

My old settings (combination of Cnet settings and some tweaking with SpearsMunsil disk) are still set in the Custom mode. So I can switch between those settings and the calibrated settings that Chad came up with. While my TV was pretty good out of the box, it did have alot of extra red in the picture. Gamma and color temps were also a little off. Switching back to the Custom mode is now painful to watch.

I was watching Breaking Bad last night, and this scene really showed off the insane contrast ratio of the VT60:

My camera phone doesnt do it justice.

Thanks Chad!

BTW as soon as you left the house, my 2 year old said "I want the man to come back".

#4,389 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbragwel  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652255

I've seen threads in the Harmony forums that you can contact Logitech and they can "add in" the ability to delay devices powering on to resolve issues like this. I called them last night. It seems I was told that I'd have to pay for extended services for them to add this ability which kind of ruffles my feathers seeing as how much the remote cost in the first place. Maybe you'd have better luck with them. I'm going to call extended services today (I don't know how much it costs) and see about this.

Hmm i can go into my actions and set each device to power on with a delay of my choosing. Never had to pay for it.

#4,391 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23651435

I think you have mixed your categories.

A thirty foot Redmere HDMI cable from Monoprice should get rid of the flickers if you connect it correctly. If you get nothing just reverse the connection.,
Quote:
Originally Posted by caw789  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23651976

I roughed the room in with 2 Cat5e runs, so I can't run a new HDMI without cutting holes all over the ceiling. The equipment is in a closet about 25' behind the tv. The cat5 is terminated in the monoprice box in the closet and at the tv, then an HDMI is run from the receiver and the tv.

I do understand the desire to use cable that has already been pulled, and can't speak to exactly why you are getting flicker with the HDMI over cat5 pull, but as a data point, it may be useful to know that I am splitting and running an HDMI signal from a Sewell Direct powered 4 way splitter to 1) the VT60 via a 35 foot non-boosted HDMI cable, and 2) a second Samsung LED TV via a 75 foot boosted (redmere) HDMI cable. Both have an incredible picture, both 2D and 3D. In fact, the signal to the Samsung is even switched between a TiVo and a Blu-ray player with a powered switcher.

If you really truly cannot run a dedicated HDMI cable (can't you pull the quarter round from your baseboard and tuck the cable underneath, then replace the quarter round? -- or if carpeted, pull the carpet from the tacks and tuck the cable under the baseboard?), then check the connections on your HDMI over Cat 5. If all is intact, consider boosting the signal with a splitter or similar device (although only 25 feet should really not need a boost).

#4,392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652826

One week ago Chad B calibrated my 65VT60.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy.

#4,393 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23653162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23653136

Hmm i can go into my actions and set each device to power on with a delay of my choosing. Never had to pay for it.
You cant delay it for 5 seconds or so. Thats what they are wanting.
At least when I bought our last Harmony remote, the free technical support was for ninety days. I had to get third level support to stop some multiple actions like arrow up or down in my AVR's setup. They made changes that are not available through their software. If it had been after 90 days I would have had to pay for the help.

#4,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652558

What are the benefits of ARC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23652565

Not having to run an optical cable.

The problem with ARC is that it can cause systems such as HDMI control, Bravia-sync, Anynet, etc. to go haywire, i.e. turn your set on/off when you don't want it to. It can also cause your Harmony remote to misbehave quite badly. It also does not work with HDMI splitters and some switchers. While in theory it is nice if your entire system will turn on when you turn your TV on, it usually causes more problems than it is worth, and assumes that all of your components are of the same brand (or compatible). Most of us have smart remotes anyway. Figh on ARC! Just run a S-PDIF/Toslink cable and be done with it.

Or even better yet, if at all possible, it is best to just run the audio source directly to the AVR, and to use the HDMI going to the TV only to pass the video signal. In effect, use the AVR as the switcher, but do not rely on the HDMI cable to pass audio to/from the TV. Of course, for native apps such as Viera apps, etc. (if you use them) you WILL indeed need to pass the audio from the TV back to the AVR. Optical S-PDIF/Toslink cable cable.

#4,395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23653365

At least when I bought our last Harmony remote, the free technical support was for ninety days. I had to get third level support to stop multiple actions. They made changes that are not available through their software. If it had been after 90 days I would have had to pay for the help.

True that!

I've used the Harmony Remote tech support team extensively during my 90 day free support period, and have found them to be incredibly helpful. I've got it just about locked in, but since the Ultimate is new, they release firmware updates that tend to dick with my system. I just call them over again.

#4,396 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw789  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23651976

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23651435

I think you have mixed your categories.

A thirty foot Redmere HDMI cable from Monoprice should get rid of the flickers if you connect it correctly. If you get nothing just reverse the connection.,

I roughed the room in with 2 Cat5e runs, so I can't run a new HDMI without cutting holes all over the ceiling. The equipment is in a closet about 25' behind the tv. The cat5 is terminated in the monoprice box in the closet and at the tv, then an HDMI is run from the receiver and the tv.
I understand now. Basically you have two HDMI cables, two converter boxes, and a Cat5 run to debug instead of a single HDMI cable. I've always read that Cat5 is the most trouble free choice with long runs. I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice other than to try a direct connect to your display to prove that the display isn't the problem.

#4,397 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimolaoha  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/4380#post_23653386

True that!

I've used the Harmony Remote tech support team extensively during my 90 day free support period, and have found them to be incredibly helpful. I've got it just about

locked in, but since the Ultimate is new, they release firmware updates that tend to dick with my system. I just call them over again.

Good to hear, I just got a Harmony touch 2 weeks ago. Having an issue during one of my activities (watch tv) where my Panasonic VT 60 sends a quick ARC signal to my monoprice HDMI switch causing it to go to ARC and I have to manually go into devices to turn ARC off while wanting to watch Directv. I called logitech while at work and they seemed more than willing to help but I just need to be at home. Said I had free 90 day support so I 'll see what happens later.