Excellent Smart TV platform

Highly effective remote app

Well designed menus and remote control

Attractive design and excellent build quality
Cons

Some DFC

Stand doesn't swivel

Fans might bother some

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV_507/Review.html

See less See more
#15,621 ·
I don't know if I fully agree with that statement. I think it's a matter of how the size of the TV exposes flaws that would otherwise not be as noticeable on a smaller set. Sometimes bigger doesn't necessarily always mean better - especially when it comes to watching poorly sourced cable, standard definition DVDs, or streaming (cringe).

As for differences between the sizes of the VT:

I own both a 55 and 65. When I measure them with my i1 Display Pro, the 55 requires a little more oomph in the contrast to get to my desired 33ftL (62 contrast on the 55VT and 58 contrast on the 65VT). The only other difference I get that currently drives me insane is that my 65 reads a black-level of .0015ish while my 55VT reads a black-level of .002 (maybe .0019 on a good day). This difference is not noticeable to my eyes in terms of picture quality, but has always baffled me when I take measurements, as a .002 is more f8500 territory.

My 55 had to have a service call because there was a speck of dust behind the screen that they were successfully able to remove. I hope that didn't have a detrimental effect on my black-level.

Any thoughts?
I know for years the Panasonic plasma larger panels were always getting better MLLs than the smaller panels. I cannot remember the reason for it though.

#15,622 ·
I personally liked the CNET settings the best after trying all that were available.
Love the CNET settings.
Found DNice daytime to be very dull/dim.

Hi, I have this TV.

Can anyone give me rough settings for the contrast/brightness etc.

I have it at 73 contrast and 0 brightness. Had it for a year.

It is fine for TV, but with the PS4 I typically need to boost the gamma settings in-game, since it is too dark. Though there is one game that doesn't have this option and is annoyingly dark.

No need to get complicated "everyone is different, depends on environment etc". What do you have yours at?

Cheers.

PS doesnt look like I can have independent setting on TV and HDMI which is a shame, is this true?
CNET settings is what I use.
Only thing I do different is use GAME MODE on my HDMI 1 input for my Xbox One & Wii U.

#15,623 · (Edited)
Watching TV yesterday and my June 2013 65" VT60 went out. Now 8 blinking red lights.

Oh Lord. Still under my Panasonic warranty until January, then external warranty.

Any advice / suggestions?
65VT60 / VT60
12/16/2014 UPDATE:

Called Panasonic and they guided me to a local TV repair shop. Of course this was all covered under my 1 year manufacture warranty.
Call to Panasonic took bout 30-35 minutes. Bunch of dumb troubleshooting. Had to cut the rep off and let them know the TV doesn't work and lets get the show on the road. 8 blinking lights.
Panasonic provided the contact info for a local repair shop and a ticket number.

Immediately called the local repair shop after getting off the phone with Panasonic and provided my ticket info. Thank God I did. The local repair shop said that Panasonic told them, via email, that I had "10 blinks", not 8 blinks.
Shop ordered the correct part the same day. Had to call Panasonic and verify the issue. Took about a week to get down here to South Florida.

Local TV shop came by and installed the new board within about 25 minutes. My board, when looking at the back of the TV, with the panel off, was on the right side. Very seamless and easy. If another board ever goes out, the blinking lights tell which it is / what the problem is.
Spoke with the repair guy the entire time. Hardest part was taking out the 25+ screws that hold the back of the panel to the TV lol.

TV worked instantly when the panel was attached and TV plugged into the wall.

Not a problem since. Color / picture look the exact same.

Hopefully someone finds this info useful or comes from Google search and knows this is an easy fix :)

#15,627 ·
Hey so I finally decided to hook up my VT60 to my Denon X4000, I have it connected through the HDMI as all my stuff goes through my receiver but also have an optical connected from the VT60 to the Denon so that the Netflix and other apps from the TV play on the receiver as I hear ARC can sometimes not work properly. Is there any option that I need to turn on because right now I am getting no sound on the receiver from the TV? I just bought the Denon so I am not sure if the issue is with the TV or with the Denon. All I did was plug an optical from the TV to the Denon, did not play with any settings.

#15,632 ·
Maybe I will try that, which HDMI connection is the ARC on the TV? Mine is wall mounted and I can see the connections from the side but not the labels lol

ARC is HDMI 2

#15,633 · (Edited)
Under apps viera link set to home theater output . I don't use arc works great
My viera link menu only shows is viera link control "player" as an option? what am I doing wrong, the hdmi is connected to hdmi 2 and to my x4000, i also tried connecting an optical out and switching the hdmi input and both give me the same one option?

speaker output isnt an option

#15,634 ·
My viera link menu only shows is viera link control "player" as an option? what am I doing wrong, the hdmi is connected to hdmi 2 and to my x4000, i also tried connecting an optical out and switching the hdmi input and both give me the same one option?

speaker output isnt an option

You have to turn Viera link on: Menu > Set Up > Viera Link Settings > On

#15,637 ·
You have HDMI control(CEC) whatever it is called enabled on your reciever ?

True, receiver has to support ARC - HDMI Control Function on my Marantz receiver.

#15,638 ·
Or should I just try to figure out ARC, will that be my best option?
Don't bother, the on-TV apps suck. I went through all the work to get ARC and CEC working (they're TWO DIFFERENT THINGS) and it wasn't worth the hassle for ARC. Apps on just about ALL other seperate devices do a much better job and are, more importantly, kept up to date. The on-TV stuff is terrible to start and usually doesn't get updates. I gave up after trying to use them. Yeah, we might want to use them but they're just not good enough to be worth the bother.

That and as has been suggested, make sure your AVR is designed to work with it and is configured as necessary. This is likewise a bit of a dance.

#15,639 ·
True, receiver has to support ARC - HDMI Control Function on my Marantz receiver.
ARC and CEC are two different features. They're not necessarily configured the same. I recall jumping through a number of hoops getting them configured right on my Denon (mostly the same as a Marantz, but without the porthole look).

One VERY, VERY handy feature is being able to use the TV's IR input to send volume up/down commands to the receiver. This makes it possible to configure my remote to send the Panasonic IR commands and thus remain useful for both on-TV apps AND for sources coming through the AVR. This is a CEC feature and it's nice. I also have the AVR configured to turn itself on/off with the TV. Very handy as it allow the remote to be programmed for just the TV and the AVR follows along.

#15,640 ·
ARC and CEC are two different features. They're not necessarily configured the same. I recall jumping through a number of hoops getting them configured right on my Denon (mostly the same as a Marantz, but without the porthole look).

Yes, ARC & CEC are different but my manual notes that the ARC feature is controlled via the receivers HDMI Controller function. Very easy setup, just turn on and your ready to go.