Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15119 Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is the first review based on European/British model TX-P55VT65B:

Pros
Superb analogue looking images
Reference black levels
Incredible contrast ratio and dynamic range
Lack of PWM noise and clean looking images
Very good out-of-the-box greyscale
Reference greyscale after calibration
Excellent out-of-the-box colour gamut
Reference color gamut after calibration
Reference level 3D performance
Comprehensive calibration controls
Wonderful motion handling
Excellent video processing
Built-in WiFi, Freesat HD and Freeview HD
Excellent Smart TV platform
Highly effective remote app
Well designed menus and remote control
Attractive design and excellent build quality
Cons
Some DFC
Stand doesn't swivel
Fans might bother some

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV_507/Review.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15119 Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Can't wait for a review of a NA set. Interesting reading their take on the new red phosphor.

Looks like the blacks are about the same as their GT60.

post #3 of 15119 Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 38
Awesome. Good review. With the VT60's hitting stores (as we speak), I'm sure we will see some reviews and first impressions of the NA version soon!
post #4 of 15119 Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I don't like this.

From the review:

"OK, there are a couple of things that could be improved but they’re fairly minor. Despite the fact that Panasonic has seemingly managed to finally nail motion at 50Hz, we could – just ever so often – see instances of false contouring manifesting as magenta and green fringing to edges such as peoples’ cheekbones or on objects of solid white. We’d put good money on the fact that most will never see it and instances are uncommon and usually very fleeting but it is there and at least it gives Panasonic something to work on for in 2014. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs."

post #5 of 15119 Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Liked: 35
Just want to jump in here and annoy some people by pointing out how happy I am to see 40ms in Game Mode. It's a very decent number and the fact that you can toggle it on in your calibrated display mode instead of it forcing you into overblown dynamic contrast mode like the XX50's is amazing news. A professionally calibrated plasma display running at < 50ms is my TV dream come true. Also really glad to hear that the overall uniformity continues to be solid in the 2013's. I'll take any input lag discussions after this post to the dedicated threads, I promise. cool.gif

I'm not surprised about the similar black levels. I was personally expecting to see more or less identical blacks from the ST, GT, and VT this year. I think if there's any additional black to be squeezed out it'll clearly be in the ZT60.

I was a bit surprised about the significant differences in ANSI light output. Dropping from an average of 90 to 72 seemed like a lot for 5" (their GT60 was 50", VT60 was 55"), especially when they have a review of an even larger 65" VT50 putting out over 85 on the ANSI checkerboard. It occurred to me that a 50" TV is technically about 82% of a 55" TV. If you plug that in, 82% of 90 is 73.8, meaning it actually comes out to a relatively linear scale of size to ANSI brightness. I just found this interesting because their reviews of the 2012 series don't suggest such severe losses of brightness on the ANSI checkerboard based on size increases. 65" VT50 gets 85, 50" GT60 gets 90, 55" VT60 gets 72? Maybe someone who knows more than me about plasma technology in general can shed some light on what might be happening here. And more importantly we need to get some measurements on a NA model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I don't like this.

From the review:

"OK, there are a couple of things that could be improved but they’re fairly minor. Despite the fact that Panasonic has seemingly managed to finally nail motion at 50Hz, we could – just ever so often – see instances of false contouring manifesting as magenta and green fringing to edges such as peoples’ cheekbones or on objects of solid white. We’d put good money on the fact that most will never see it and instances are uncommon and usually very fleeting but it is there and at least it gives Panasonic something to work on for in 2014. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs."

From the way it's written it seems like it's an issue specific to 50hz feeds. Not surprising they still can't sort that out since the panels were all designed around the more common 60hz standard. I can't imagine why their TV broadcasts went with 50hz when literally everything else was using 60. It does sound like the overall statement is that 50hz is handled better than it was in the 2012 models.
post #6 of 15119 Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Just checked out a 60" VT60 at Video Only. Needless to say, I'm sold. Contrast and shadow detail were both phenomenal (even off the crappy cable feed they were running.) Looked better than any TV there, including the F8500 (IMO). Now I've just got to decide on a 60" or 65"..... smile.gif
subgenius37 and agkss like this.
post #7 of 15119 Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks Adam for the pic. Was there a VT50 there to compare it to? How did it look to you aesthetically?

post #8 of 15119 Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Just checked out a 60" VT60 at Video Only. Needless to say, I'm sold. Contrast and shadow detail were both phenomenal (even off the crappy cable feed they were running.) Looked better than any TV there, including the F8500 (IMO). Now I've just got to decide on a 60" or 65"..... smile.gif

Thx for the first impressions Adam
post #9 of 15119 Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM

Liked: 10
Good old Video Only. This says a lot that you like the image considering their showroom is full of ambient and fluorescent light. At least the Bellevue store is like that. This does sound like a winner this year. I cannot wait so see it in person in a dedicated room with less light. Thanks for the posting Adam.

Link to gear list:  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

That sounds really good, although I heard similar things about the vt50 last year...and contrast and overall detail was the weakness of that set. I know for sure that the vt50 has no where near the contrast and detail the f8500 has and I didn't read about any significant technology changes made to improve on that issue. If it has the same "standard definition effect" the vt50 had, forget about it : )
post #11 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM

They actually DID have a VT50 in the store, as well. Unfortunately it was only in the 55", and in a different area in the store. The VT50 was right next to the 55" ST60, though. Got a good comparison between those two. EXTREMELY similar picture between the ST60 and the VT50. They pretty much looked like the same tv. So, with the VT60 being a step up in PQ over the ST60, that's an indication of how the VT60 looks in comparison. The VT60 was positioned next to the Samsung E8000 (2012) and the Samsung F8500. Blew the E8000 out of the water, and was on par with, if not better than the F8500. The F8500 was definitely brighter, but the VT60 had more shadow detail, and more "pop", through (what seemed to be) better contrast. Me and my wife also are not the biggest fan(s) of the aesthetics of the F8500. Don't really like the grey color. The fact that it also is $500 more for a F8500 over the VT60 (gotta love that fixed pricing...) didn't help the F8500 either. Before anyone says I am a samsung hater, my current tv IS a C8000 Samsung, and I love the PQ. Anyways (back to the VT60) like I said earlier, this all WAS though a crappy feed, and obviously in a light-filled showroom, so things would obviously change at home, or in a light controlled environment.... Which made me very excited. Can't wait to see this baby in better conditions, with a better source (blu-ray) feed. As far as aesthetics, it's very classy. I was worried about the "speakers" on the side, but they are almost laughable at how slim they are on the bezel. They literally were about half of my fingertip width. I really like the stand. Almost makes me not want to wall mount the TV, when I finally pick it up... Almost. Haha. Hope this input helps some other people. It's all just my naked-eye opinion, but I think the VT60 is a beautiful TV, and I can't wait for more "pro" reviews to start showing up on the web. smile.gif
subgenius37 and agkss like this.
post #12 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They actually DID have a VT50 in the store, as well. Unfortunately it was only in the 55", and in a different area in the store. The VT50 was right next to the 55" ST60, though. Got a good comparison between those two. EXTREMELY similar picture between the ST60 and the VT50. They pretty much looked like the same tv. So, with the VT60 being a step up in PQ over the ST60, that's an indication of how the VT60 looks in comparison. The VT60 was positioned next to the Samsung E8000 (2012) and the Samsung F8500. Blew the E8000 out of the water, and was on par with, if not better than the F8500. The F8500 was definitely brighter, but the VT60 had more shadow detail, and more "pop" though (what seemed to be) better contrast. Like I said earlier, this WAS though a crappy feed, and obviously in a light-filled showroom, so things would obviously change at home, or in a light controlled environment.... Which made me very excited. Can't wait to see this baby in better conditions, with a better source (blu-ray) feed. As far as aesthetics, it's very classy. I was worried about the "speakers" on the side, but they are almost laughable at how slim they are on the bezel. They literally were about half of my fingertip width. I really like the stand. Almost makes me not want to wall mount the TV, when I finally pick it up... Almost. Haha. Hope this input helps some other people. It's all just my naked-eye opinion, but I think the VT60 is a beautiful TV, and I can't wait for more "pro" reviews to start showing up on the web. smile.gif

Hi , thanks for info. All panels were set on the torch (dynamic or vivid) mode?
post #13 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post

Hi , thanks for info. All panels were set on the torch (dynamic or vivid) mode?
(Unfortunately) yes.
post #14 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Will Cleveland Plasma and Chad be giving us a review on the VT60 when they get one in ?
post #15 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
You know it.........waiting and checking, waiting and checking for inventory.........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #16 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Tweet from FlatpanelHD. They have just received a VT60 for testing, so expect their full review after they have calibrated it, in a few days time.

They said the same thing about the ST60, 9 days ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #17 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

They actually DID have a VT50 in the store, as well. Unfortunately it was only in the 55", and in a different area in the store. The VT50 was right next to the 55" ST60, though. Got a good comparison between those two. EXTREMELY similar picture between the ST60 and the VT50. They pretty much looked like the same tv. So, with the VT60 being a step up in PQ over the ST60, that's an indication of how the VT60 looks in comparison. The VT60 was positioned next to the Samsung E8000 (2012) and the Samsung F8500. Blew the E8000 out of the water, and was on par with, if not better than the F8500. The F8500 was definitely brighter, but the VT60 had more shadow detail, and more "pop", through (what seemed to be) better contrast. Me and my wife also are not the biggest fan(s) of the aesthetics of the F8500. Don't really like the grey color. The fact that it also is $500 more for a F8500 over the VT60 (gotta love that fixed pricing...) didn't help the F8500 either. Before anyone says I am a samsung hater, my current tv IS a C8000 Samsung, and I love the PQ. Anyways (back to the VT60) like I said earlier, this all WAS though a crappy feed, and obviously in a light-filled showroom, so things would obviously change at home, or in a light controlled environment.... Which made me very excited. Can't wait to see this baby in better conditions, with a better source (blu-ray) feed. As far as aesthetics, it's very classy. I was worried about the "speakers" on the side, but they are almost laughable at how slim they are on the bezel. They literally were about half of my fingertip width. I really like the stand. Almost makes me not want to wall mount the TV, when I finally pick it up... Almost. Haha. Hope this input helps some other people. It's all just my naked-eye opinion, but I think the VT60 is a beautiful TV, and I can't wait for more "pro" reviews to start showing up on the web. smile.gif

giddy...giddy....biggrin.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #18 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Well I am pretty much set on buying this in the 65" variety. I would have to see a pretty good difference between this and the ZT for the extra $500. What is the best price we could expect to see around release? Will everyone stay at MSRP, or can we expect a few hundred off of that within a month or so? I don't remember how fast the VT came down in price last year as I wasn't really in the market at that time. I can't wait to see this beauty in person!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #19 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Well I am pretty much set on buying this in the 65" variety. I would have to see a pretty good difference between this and the ZT for the extra $500. What is the best price we could expect to see around release? Will everyone stay at MSRP, or can we expect a few hundred off of that within a month or so? I don't remember how fast the VT came down in price last year as I wasn't really in the market at that time. I can't wait to see this beauty in person!
I've seen one in the wild. I'm not sure if we are supposed to discuss pricing here (we will see if my post gets deleted), but at my local store, the price on the 60" was $500 below MSRP, and the 65" was $600 below MSRP. I'm thinking this will be the universal "sale" pricing on this model, once everyone gets them in stock...
post #20 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

I've seen one in the wild. I'm not sure if we are supposed to discuss pricing here (we will see if my post gets deleted), but at my local store, the price on the 60" and 65" were $500 below MSRP, on each. I'm thinking this will be the universal "sale" pricing on this model...

especially since I think they just made the announcement that they were leaving the plasma TV market this week

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #21 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 428
While subject to change, I am leaning toward the 65" VT60 myself. If the ZT60 has just a hair better MLL, that's not going to do it for me - it will have to be more substantial. I am suspecting better discounting for sure on the VT60 so it may be more than a $500 gap compared to the ZT60. Unless Samsung does something with the brightness fluctuation on the F8500, I'll have to pass on it, but will still keep an eye on the situation. Either way, I am probably not buying anything until after the Shootout.

post #22 of 15119 Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I've seen one in the wild. I'm not sure if we are supposed to discuss pricing here (we will see if my post gets deleted), but at my local store, the price on the 60" was $500 below MSRP, and the 65" was $600 below MSRP. I'm thinking this will be the universal "sale" pricing on this model, once everyone gets them in stock...

Wow I hope you are right. That would be a nice price to pay. I am going to head out in the next few days to see if I can find one myself. I really want to see what it looks like. I think I am pretty much sold on it and not going to wait for the ZT. I had an S1 a few years back and I loved it. I have wanted a 65" since and if I am dropping that kind of money I might as well get the one I really want. I am not in a huge hurry so I can wait for the price to drop some. Looking forward to reviews that will be coming shortly!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #23 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From that AV forum review looks like VT60 blacks don't go ad deep as GT60 and also GT60 has better whites than VT60 which means GT60 will have much better contrast than VT60. The same site measurement looks like F8500 whites are double that of VT60 in the check board.
post #24 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronuskronos View Post

From that AV forum review looks like VT60 blacks don't go ad deep as GT60 and also GT60 has better whites than VT60 which means GT60 will have much better contrast than VT60. The same site measurement looks like F8500 whites are double that of VT60 in the check board.

They've been asked about those numbers. Long story short, the black numbers are all goofed.

post #25 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronuskronos View Post

Quote:
The lowest reading on the GT60 was 0.002cd/m2, check the ANSI chart. This has been re-measured now it is over 100 hours and it is a more uniform 0.004cd/m2. Steve tests in a completely blacked out cinema room (really light controlled). Mark doesn't quite have that luxury. As we have continually said, and still say, take ANY MLL readings at this level, Klein or not, with a certain pinch of salt. I read comments all over the net where people put too much weight in these figures when the procedures, testing surroundings and equipment cannot be validated scientifically so they have to be consumed with that salt. Black is important, but just one part of a far bigger number of attributes that make up a picture

http://www.avforums.com/forums/18821171-post11.html
post #26 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Does anyone know when the V60 sets will be showing up in showrooms? As of now even on the Panasonic website it still lists these sets as "preorder." I will probably be getting the 55" VT as I had a Samsung F8500 but was driven crazy by the horribly poor vertical viewing angle limitations and mediocre built-in speakers. After a great deal of soul searching and buyers remorse (hate that sort of thing) I am returning it today and will probably be getting the VT60 (or is it VT65?) in the 55" size. I figure price should be essentially the same as the street selling price of the 51" F8500. When you google the VT60/65 and go to "shopping" there are no google results. Should it hit showrooms and internet sellers in the next few days, weeks...???

[Edit} I finally see them on the internet this morning. I don't know if I'm allowed to discuss price but every single place that has them has them only at MSRP!!!??? The same price that's listed on the Panny website. How long does it usually take for prices to come down a few hundred dollars? Holy cow, this is the worst case of price fixing I've ever seen!

I feel strongly both ways!
post #27 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 460
If you are in the US its the VT60 if you are in the UK\EU its the VT65.........It should be hitting stores in the coming days weeks (it can vary from dealer to dealer)......Amazon had a few at least for awhile, but the last I saw posted were selling out, I havent heard anything since...
post #28 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

How much did you pay for the Samsung 51 F8500, and where did you purchase it from?

I paid $1999 and I got it from Crutchfield. I can't say enough about their customer service. They have been nothing short of superb throughout this whole process. If they carried Panasonic (sadly they don't) I'd reorder from them in a heartbeat.

I feel strongly both ways!
post #29 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Does anyone know when the V60 sets will be showing up in showrooms?
Literally any day..........

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #30 of 15119 Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

I paid $1999 and I got it from Crutchfield. I can't say enough about their customer service. They have been nothing short of superb throughout this whole process. If they carried Panasonic (sadly they don't) I'd reorder from them in a heartbeat.

Depending on the discount available you MAY be able to get close to that 2K mark as the SRP for the 55TV60 is 2599, you may end up paying some out of pocket however uless you decide to wait......Since Panasonic doesnt have "fixed" pricing usually a deal can be made on those sets smile.gif just keep an eye out and hey why not suport a forum sponser like Cleveland Plasma? wink.gif I am sure they will get you the best deal that they can smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page