Samsung PN51E530 VS PN51F5300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a new TV on a budget. $650 is about what I can spend. I would prefer a plasma and have found these two at my price. Which one is better?

I was about to re order the E530, which I had for a few days but had to return due to damage, when I saw the F5300 at the same price, is that a better TV? I don't know much about Plasmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
See my thoughts in the F5500 thread.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Based on that thread and that amazon review, I guess the F5300 is the way to go?
post #4 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
In the words of uncle SI you got it JACK
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM

How about Panasonic TC-P50S60? Is that a better option for picture quality (dim room application)? Please comment. Thank you!
post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozvena View Post

How about Panasonic TC-P50S60? Is that a better option for picture quality (dim room application)? Please comment. Thank you!

When I saw them side by side in my Bestbuy, the S60 looked a lot better to my eyes. Go see them in the store and judge for yourself. The F5300 looked to have worse blacks than my 7 year old plasma. I also was not a fan of the pentile display on the F5300.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Does the 5300 have a channel guide for OTA?
post #8 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Hello everyone! I too am considering the PN51F5300 but there is very little information on it (I'm assuming because it is so new). Does anyone actually own this TV? How does it compare to the S60 Panasonic Plasma? I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma from around 3 or so years ago and I love it but am wanting to go bigger. I'm feeling like the S60 would be better, but I'm concerned about the lack of anti-glare filter (which my current Panasonic Plasma does have). Is the S60 really so much better for 1" less size, $50 more money, and lack of anti-glare filter?

Thanks!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I went to BestBuy to look at S60. The whites where yellow and the colors where too saturated. All the TVs in BB had colors too saturated. There was no remote so I was unable to play with it.

They matched Amazon so my total price with the taxes was what I would pay at Amazon. I pulled the trigger.

The PQ is great. Lack of anti-glare does not bother me for my particular setting. I did not buy it for the features but I am blown away that it is plug and play for Netflix and my NAS. We watch our recorded movies and photographs. It is few clicks away.

The only thing I do not like is the automatic contrast adjustment which senses ambient light. It is too aggressive that it is not usable in my setting.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozvena View Post

I went to BestBuy to look at S60. The whites where yellow and the colors where too saturated. All the TVs in BB had colors too saturated. There was no remote so I was unable to play with it.

They matched Amazon so my total price with the taxes was what I would pay at Amazon. I pulled the trigger.

The PQ is great. Lack of anti-glare does not bother me for my particular setting. I did not buy it for the features but I am blown away that it is plug and play for Netflix and my NAS. We watch our recorded movies and photographs. It is few clicks away.

The only thing I do not like is the automatic contrast adjustment which senses ambient light. It is too aggressive that it is not usable in my setting.

It sounds like looking around at forums that there is a feature on the S60 called CATs that you can turn off. I know my S1 Panasonic Plasma from a couple years ago has this and once I turned it off it didn't automatically adjust the brightness.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Thank you. Yes, it can be turned off. It would be nice if there is setting which would adjust the effect.

(There is little bit of a buzzing noise which can be heard when the volume is muted. )

It is a wonderful TV, my 1st plasma, and I highly recommend it.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Just wanted to let anyone who might be interested know that I ended up going for the Samsung PN51F5300 over the Panasonic 50" S60. They both looked roughly equivalent in the store and figured I'd start out with the one that was 1" bigger and $50 cheaper and if I had problems then return it and get the S60. It doesn't look like there is much of any anti-glare filter on the F5300, but the S60 doesn't have one either.

I have to say, when the room is dark the picture is amazing! We watched Star Trek (2009) on Bluray the night we got it and were blown away! It was like we were at the theater it was so big in comparison to our old 42"!

However, the reflections are pretty noticeable during the day since we have it in our living room and only have thin curtains over our big front window. I'm trying to determine if they bother me or not, however getting the S60 wouldn't help much since it also doesn't have an anti-glare filter unless it ended up being much brighter than the F5300. And even then it is really only the dark areas/scenes that are affected by the reflections so being brighter I don't think would really help anyways.

If I thought I could get a LCD/LED with a fast response time (to avoid ghosting and motion blur) and good quality picture for the same $650 range I might consider going that route instead since this is our main TV and will not only be watching at night, but it appears that to get a good quality LCD/LED you really have to go up and above $1,000. There was still a good amount of reflections on our old 42" plasma despite having an anti-glare filter (glass is glass after all) so the difference here mainly appears to be the reflections are roughly the same just less diffused.

I've got 15 days to return it so I'll keep evaluating it during that time.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page