F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 3068 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Cell light and contrast control the brightness of peak white. So it's a bit complicated. Especially when you consider that I can't remember what all the test patterns are called.


You set contrast to the highest it can go without clipping white. On my 51 inch that's around 95 or 96. There are multiple test patterns that do this...the one I use has flashing white bars up to level 253. Disney WoW uses flashing stars. You do it without the meter (by sight).


After setting contrast I set cell light by loading up a 100% white window and take a real time reading in HCFR. I adjust the cell light until the luminance of white is where I want it to be (I usually target 40 ftL or thereabouts. Each step adds or subtracts about 3 ftL in my experience. You have to check this again after adjusting grayscale.


Usually I'm at about 95 or 96 contrast and 15-16 cell light. I watch with a table lamp on or in the dark with a bias light.
Thanks.
DNice recommend contrast 95 as a good setting.

How did you determine your luminance target compromise between dark and bright rooms?

I attached an inexpensive Antec bias light that I'm not certain is useful; lately it's been off. Zoyd mentioned it's unnecessary with a good calibration, which I'm far from at the moment. There's no space in my viewing room for a table lamp or a torch, so setting the cell level for night viewing without burning my eyeballs has been a challenge.

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 12:36 PM.
bmcn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 3068 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Member
 
nipalikewalnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
So I did another calibration.
Aiming for 2.25 gamma?
nipalikewalnuts is online now  
post #3063 of 3068 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
Member
 
kronius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
EDID service menu default setting?

Hey, I was going through the service menu for my 64F8500 to try to see the usage hours, and I accidentally went into the EDID menu and changed one of the settings. I think EDID defaults to "OFF", correct? That's what I put it back to after I think I accidentally set it to "ON". I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up without having to do a factory reset.


Thanks in advance!
kronius is offline  
post #3064 of 3068 Old Today, 12:39 AM
Member
 
GASKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting the 60" in three days. I will be playing PS4 quite a bit. Do you guys have any advice for me regarding setting or anything in general?
GASKA is offline  
post #3065 of 3068 Old Today, 11:09 AM
Member
 
loboblast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwojo View Post
OK, got my set yesterday. I purchased it from Value Electronics and had them do the calibration on it. The CAL was either done by Kevin Miller or D-Nice, not sure which one. I don't have the report yet, but here are the settings from the TV, and I have the PN60F8500AFXZA, MFG date = May 2013, FW = 1104.

2D Picture Modes - Movie / CAL-DAY
Cell Light = 13 / 20
Contrast = 95 / 90
Brightness = 46 / 46
Sharpness = 0 / 0
Color = 50 / 50
Tint = 50/50 - 50/50

Color Tone - Warm2 for all modes
File Mode = Auto2 for all modes
Black optimizer - Dark Room for all modes
Everything else = off

Flesh Tone = 0/0
Gamma = 0/0
Everything else = off

Color Space is Custom for Movie and Cal-DAY
Red - 53, 5, 5
Green - 38, 57,10
Blue - 0, 3, 61
Yellow - 52, 52, 11
Cyan - 36, 56, 54
Magenta - 49, 7, 57

White Balance (2 point)
27, 25, 27, 27, 25, 30 / 27, 25, 26, 26, 25, 30

White Balance (10 Point)
1 = -3, -1, -2 / 1, 3, 3
2 = -5, -4, -4 / 1, 0, 0
3 = -2, -1, -2 / 4, 3, 6
4 = -6, -3, -2 / -1, 0, -1
5 = -1, 0 , -2 / 6, 3, 8
6 = 4, -1, 1 / 9, 9, 0
7 = 8, 4, 2 / 0, 0, 0
8 = 6, 1, 0 / 0, 0, 0
9 = 0, 0, 0 / 0, 0, 0
10 = 10, 0, 0 / 0, 0, 0

3D Picture Mode - Movie / CAL-DAY

Cell Light = 20 / 20
Contrast = 100 / 90
Brightness = 45 / 45
Sharpness = 20 / 0
Color = 50 / 50
Tint = All modes 50/50

Color Tone = Warm2 for all modes
Everything else = off

Flesh tone = 0 for all modes
Gamma = ?? forgot to look
Balck Tone: = Dark
Everything else is off

Color Space is AUTO for all modes

White Balance (2 point)
All 25's for all modes.

Hope this helps someone out, and if I get more information from the reports I will post that as well once I get them.

Thanks,
Phil

(I have edited this post to remove the "CAL-NIGHT" settings as they were not done. "MOVIE" mode was used for night time viewing.)
Thanks for the settings. This made a big difference to my display. The results are a clearer picture but with better blacks.

After I input the these settings I put on a bluray rip of X-Men Days of Future Past. For those that haven't seen this film. The opening battle scene is epic and takes place in a dark lit factory type setting. Right away I could tell the blacks were even more darker yet the color scheme was richer. I could see details in the dark shadows now.

I really like these settings and will use them for a while. The picture quality on my display is amazing now!

Samsung 60 PN60F8500
Harman Kardon AVR1600
Mirage Unitheater soundbar
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450'S
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12"
Sennheiser HDR 170
loboblast is offline  
post #3066 of 3068 Old Today, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
bigjoexxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASKA View Post
I'm getting the 60" in three days. I will be playing PS4 quite a bit. Do you guys have any advice for me regarding setting or anything in general?
+1 But I've had my 60 inch since day one.
bigjoexxl is online now  
post #3067 of 3068 Old Today, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
HX_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Cell light and contrast control the brightness of peak white. So it's a bit complicated. Especially when you consider that I can't remember what all the test patterns are called.


You set contrast to the highest it can go without clipping white. On my 51 inch that's around 95 or 96. There are multiple test patterns that do this...the one I use has flashing white bars up to level 253. Disney WoW uses flashing stars. You do it without the meter (by sight).


After setting contrast I set cell light by loading up a 100% white window and take a real time reading in HCFR. I adjust the cell light until the luminance of white is where I want it to be (I usually target 40 ftL or thereabouts. Each step adds or subtracts about 3 ftL in my experience. You have to check this again after adjusting grayscale.


Usually I'm at about 95 or 96 contrast and 15-16 cell light. I watch with a table lamp on or in the dark with a bias light.

I find that even at 100 the contrast is still ok, doesn't seem to be clipping using the WOW pattern and honestly I don't notice any difference between 100 and say 95, other than the whites looking more gray overall, but use the same bars at the end of the pattern all the way to 100.

I was actually told in another thread I made that 100 of contrast and 20 for cell light is fine and to leave it at that, but I don't ever see anyone using those. I do like a brighter picture so Im ok with that, but can I still get an accurate greyscale and gamma with those settings?
HX_Guy is online now  
post #3068 of 3068 Old Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I find that even at 100 the contrast is still ok, doesn't seem to be clipping using the WOW pattern and honestly I don't notice any difference between 100 and say 95, other than the whites looking more gray overall, but use the same bars at the end of the pattern all the way to 100.

I was actually told in another thread I made that 100 of contrast and 20 for cell light is fine and to leave it at that, but I don't ever see anyone using those. I do like a brighter picture so Im ok with that, but can I still get an accurate greyscale and gamma with those settings?
i seem to recall one of the pro calibrators recommended samsung plasmas be left with a contrast of 95. i'm pretty sure that's why most ppl use that value.

like you, i don't see anything wrong with 100, and i find it easier to calibrate at 100 usually. BUT, leaving it at 95 does have some advantages. while it's a little trickier to get the 10pt calibration done, when you do, you can ensure 6500k color temp and uniform greyscale up PAST 100%. if you look at the color clipping patterns, i imagine you'll see a difference there as well. with contrast at 100, it's more difficult to get all colors flashing up to 235.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #3069 of 3068 Old Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASKA View Post
I'm getting the 60" in three days. I will be playing PS4 quite a bit. Do you guys have any advice for me regarding setting or anything in general?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post
+1 But I've had my 60 inch since day one.
the only special recommendation i would make is to use either game mode of pc mode when gaming.

other wise there's really nothing special about the ps4. like all sources, you want as close to reference as possible, and make sure you've matched the HDMI black level setting with the RGB color setting on the ps4. Normal is full range, and low is limited.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off