F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 3165 Unread Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Began calibrating in earnest last night, focusing on grayscale and gamma; posted results are from the 10th iteration.

Does anyone pay attention to the color temperature graph when taking basic measurements?

I used the AVS HD 709 ColorHCFR 10% Grayscale, next time I'll measure 21 points. Is there a better pattern for grayscale?

80% 2 point seemed to have a low dE with continuous measuring, but this didn't carry over to the 11 point measurement. Comments are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	389033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	389041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Luminance.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	389049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamma.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	389057   Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	389065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	389073  

Last edited by bmcn; Yesterday at 03:10 PM.
bmcn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 3165 Unread Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Haha, what can I say, I like a bright picture. This is going to be my "everyday" mode, I don't typically go in and change from one to another...just set and forget, except for football games which I like even brighter and I set that up as Standard which gives me around 202 cd/m2.

EDIT: I will probably setup MOVIE mode as a night viewing mode since it's available. What is the recommended cd/m2 value for dark room movie viewing?
I'd say 30-35ftl, so maybe you should aim for 40


really though, the only reason to go darker is if it causes eye strain. I've never really had this issue before, but the f8500 is a bit different. I find anything over 32ish is a problem for me. though 37-40 looks really good, it's only doable for 30mins or so before I start getting headaches

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #3153 of 3165 Unread Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Mine is set there but I have no idea if it would carry over to another 8500.
Ok, your CMS/Color settings worked quite well, especially the lower saturations for red, when I tried them but the greyscale was more off.
rickardl is offline  
post #3154 of 3165 Unread Yesterday, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Good to hear that you're enjoying the TV HX!
AMartin56 is online now  
post #3155 of 3165 Unread Today, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
HX_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Good to hear that you're enjoying the TV HX!
Yes sir!

One of the huge differences I didn't realize before was how much deeper black the panel gets after the calibration and how crazy the contrast is now. Adjusted (with a disk) Standard mode got down to 0.014 ftL brightness and had a contrast ratio of 5879:1. Movie mode was better at 0.007 ftL and 7035:1.

Calibrated picture comes in at 0.003 ftL and 15482:1
HX_Guy is online now  
post #3156 of 3165 Unread Today, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
HX_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I'd say 30-35ftl, so maybe you should aim for 40


really though, the only reason to go darker is if it causes eye strain. I've never really had this issue before, but the f8500 is a bit different. I find anything over 32ish is a problem for me. though 37-40 looks really good, it's only doable for 30mins or so before I start getting headaches
Meh. I tried a cell light of 10 (didn't measure, but it was quite a bit dimmer) and didn't like it. Guess I'll use Mobie to try some different gamma settings and see how it compares to what I dialed in on CAL-N.
HX_Guy is online now  
post #3157 of 3165 Unread Today, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Meh. I tried a cell light of 10 (didn't measure, but it was quite a bit dimmer) and didn't like it. Guess I'll use Mobie to try some different gamma settings and see how it compares to what I dialed in on CAL-N.
I got low 30's with cell light at 15. I'm sure 10 is much lower than that even

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #3158 of 3165 Unread Today, 07:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just picked up a 60F8500 last weekend and I am hoping one of you guys can help me with a calibration question, there is clearly a wealth of knowledge here but I am a novice and feel a bit out of my league...

I don't care so much about a reference quality picture but I used the settings Kevin Miller's Movie calibration as a starting point.

Picture Mode: Movie
Color Temp: Warm 2
Gamma: 0
Backlight: 16
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 95
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Sharpness: 0

With these settings I find that (at least to me) white/light colors seems a bit blown out and overpowering and that my blacks are too black and I am losing a lot of detail. I have tried to tweak it from here but I am not sure which setting(s) to adjust and in which order, I am having trouble understanding how the Cell brightness, Contrast, Brightness and Gamma interact as I try to correct the issue.

Can someone give me an idea of the order I should adjust these settings and to what degree?

Thank you.
Chris N. is online now  
post #3159 of 3165 Unread Today, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
HX_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I got low 30's with cell light at 15. I'm sure 10 is much lower than that even
I tried 10 because anything higher there wasn't that much of a difference. I mean at 20 I'm at 49 ftL, so only 9 above what you were recommending. Is 9 considered a lot?
HX_Guy is online now  
post #3160 of 3165 Unread Today, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
HX_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N. View Post
I just picked up a 60F8500 last weekend and I am hoping one of you guys can help me with a calibration question, there is clearly a wealth of knowledge here but I am a novice and feel a bit out of my league...

I don't care so much about a reference quality picture but I used the settings Kevin Miller's Movie calibration as a starting point.

Picture Mode: Movie
Color Temp: Warm 2
Gamma: 0
Backlight: 16
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 95
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Sharpness: 0

With these settings I find that (at least to me) white/light colors seems a bit blown out and overpowering and that my blacks are too black and I am losing a lot of detail. I have tried to tweak it from here but I am not sure which setting(s) to adjust and in which order, I am having trouble understanding how the Cell brightness, Contrast, Brightness and Gamma interact as I try to correct the issue.

Can someone give me an idea of the order I should adjust these settings and to what degree?

Thank you.
These look pretty ok and I'm surprised whites are blown out and blacks are too dark. Maybe try 49 for the brightness, that's what I have it at.
HX_Guy is online now  
post #3161 of 3165 Unread Today, 09:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@ HX_Guy - Thanks, that did help with black crush, whites still seem too blown out to me though. I will keep tweaking.

Gamma -1 seems to help but makes everything seem flat to me.
Chris N. is online now  
post #3162 of 3165 Unread Today, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
your 'black' level is insanely high. what is your HDMI black level set to right now? and what is your source?
As far as I can tell, all devices (video card outputting RGB, AVR and 8500) are set to low (16-235) with no black level issues when viewing OTA and cable delivered content.

For whatever reason the AVS HD HCFR patterns messed with the black level when sourced from HTPC through Windows 7 Media Center, my primary player. After running one of the AVS patterns, bars <17 on black clipping pattern became visible and black levels had to be reset either by closing/opening WMC, which sometimes worked, toggling the black level setting on the video card or rebooting the HTPC.

Burned a DVD of the pattern ISO and black levels now remain low when the same patterns are sourced from a BD player.

Post 3151 has screenshots from HCFR using the dvd source. When you have a moment fierce, take a look and let me know your thoughts, particularly why the gamma ramp between 50-90%. Thanks.

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 12:57 PM.
bmcn is offline  
post #3163 of 3165 Unread Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N. View Post
@ HX_Guy - Thanks, that did help with black crush, whites still seem too blown out to me though. I will keep tweaking.

Gamma -1 seems to help but makes everything seem flat to me.
you've turned off dynamic contrast right?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #3164 of 3165 Unread Today, 02:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
you've turned off dynamic contrast right?
Yup. I keep tweaking and it is better but blacks still pretty badly crushed....

I am feeding the set a 1080p signal from an Xfinity X1 box, the HDMI black setting is grayed out. Is that normal?
Chris N. is online now  
post #3165 of 3165 Unread Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,943
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 414
zoyd is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off