F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 138 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4111 of 4117 Unread 03-27-2015, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got my brand new 51" last night and I'm super impressed with it. Definitely the best tv I've ever owned, or even seen personally. I'm using the pieandchips settings now, which look outstanding, but I will probably try a few more and pick favorites.
Has anyone had any trouble accessing the cal day and night options from the service menu? I use my tv for movies and gaming in relatively bright and dim settings, so it would be extremely helpful for me to have a couple more calibrations saved on my tv. But if I bricked my tv, it would take me a long time to recover emotionally from such a blow. I've seen the instructions kindly posted by wxman earlier in the thread, but I'm wondering if even by following those instructions carefully I could still slip and mess something up permanently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4117 Unread 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentaferd View Post
I just got my brand new 51" last night and I'm super impressed with it. Definitely the best tv I've ever owned, or even seen personally. I'm using the pieandchips settings now, which look outstanding, but I will probably try a few more and pick favorites.
Has anyone had any trouble accessing the cal day and night options from the service menu? I use my tv for movies and gaming in relatively bright and dim settings, so it would be extremely helpful for me to have a couple more calibrations saved on my tv. But if I bricked my tv, it would take me a long time to recover emotionally from such a blow. I've seen the instructions kindly posted by wxman earlier in the thread, but I'm wondering if even by following those instructions carefully I could still slip and mess something up permanently.
I reset my tv after every FW update. So I have to reactivate day/night cal every time. I never had a problem when following the instructions. Just do it slowly and you will be fine.
post #4113 of 4117 Unread Today, 04:36 PM

Is the only difference between, say, movie mode and standard the ability to do the 10 pt calibration? It seems to my eye that when I've got the same numbers plugged in on both modes, with 10 pt set to auto on movie, that the picture is not identical between them, with standard being noticeably brighter. Perhaps I don't fully understand how 10 pt works, or there is something intangible to me that is operating to cause the pictures to be different.
post #4114 of 4117 Unread Today, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 236
^ Standard Mode is brighter than Movie Mode. It's not an optical illusion.
post #4115 of 4117 Unread Today, 08:01 PM

That's interesting. Do the other two modes, relaxed and, I forget what the other one is, have unique quirks as well? How do Cal day and Cal night compare to the other modes?
post #4116 of 4117 Unread Today, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's interesting. Do the other two modes, relaxed and, I forget what the other one is, have unique quirks as well? How do Cal day and Cal night compare to the other modes?
Cal Day and night are basically 2 more Movie modes. So in reality you get 3 movie modes which you can take your originally calibrated movie mode, plug into day and night and adjust cell brightness for each. Movie/Day/Night are the most accurate OOTB and closest to D65.
post #4117 of 4117 Unread Today, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the only difference between, say, movie mode and standard the ability to do the 10 pt calibration? It seems to my eye that when I've got the same numbers plugged in on both modes, with 10 pt set to auto on movie, that the picture is not identical between them, with standard being noticeably brighter. Perhaps I don't fully understand how 10 pt works, or there is something intangible to me that is operating to cause the pictures to be different.
Movie mode is the closest to D65 OOTB. Standard runs much cooler. White looks more blue and skin tones more pink on Standard mode vs Movie.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page