F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 139 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 4147 Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Hi - yes, the advance menu is still accessible with 1206.
Thanks!

I must be doing something wrong. I'll program my Harmony and try it from there.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4147 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shadow detail and brightness issues

Hi all, i'm having an issue with shadow detail on my 51" samsung 8500. Long story short, overall my picture looks great: deep dark blacks, great contrast, bright picture. This is in comparison to my panasonic st-60. But i'm getting relatively poor shadow detail, much worse than my st-60, even in a dark room at night (though tv filter is so good it doesn't make an enormous difference). Where there should be detail, there is only blackness. So far I have only watched netflix and amazon prime via the tv's built-in apps, so i am somewhat limited in the picture adjustments i can make (though I think black optimizer is the only important setting grayed out). Also, i have probably only had the tv on for a total of 100 or so hours total. Finally, initially i was watching the tv with a panel light setting of 13 or 14, but i found it to be so bright that it was hurting my eyes over extended viewing, so i have it at a panel brightness of 3 now! I know that seems rediculously low, but it honestly seems plenty bright to me. Contrast is set to mid to high 90s and brightness is in the 50s. I discovered recently that Standard mode seems to have better shadow detail than movie mode with other settings being equal. I now have the most recent firmware installed (1207 or 1208 i think). So, my questions:

1. What is the best way to increase shadow detail? Brightness, contrast, gamma, or panel light (or a combination)?

2. Should lower panel light output increase or decrease shadow detail? I feel like it increases shadow detail but that could be because my other settings aren't right.

3. Will further panel burn in help my situation?

4. Is there something wrong with my eyes or my tv that i have it set to panel light setting of 3? At this setting i feel that it is roughly as bright as my panasonic st-60 (which is a great, modern plasma tv).

5. Would resetting my settings help?

6. Is it possible this problem is exclusive to the netflix and amazon prime apps? Or possibly a consequence of not watching content through an hdmi port?

Thanks in advance everyone!
post #4143 of 4147 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon1 View Post
Hi all, i'm having an issue with shadow detail on my 51" samsung 8500. Long story short, overall my picture looks great: deep dark blacks, great contrast, bright picture. This is in comparison to my panasonic st-60. But i'm getting relatively poor shadow detail, much worse than my st-60, even in a dark room at night (though tv filter is so good it doesn't make an enormous difference). Where there should be detail, there is only blackness. So far I have only watched netflix and amazon prime via the tv's built-in apps, so i am somewhat limited in the picture adjustments i can make (though I think black optimizer is the only important setting grayed out). Also, i have probably only had the tv on for a total of 100 or so hours total. Finally, initially i was watching the tv with a panel light setting of 13 or 14, but i found it to be so bright that it was hurting my eyes over extended viewing, so i have it at a panel brightness of 3 now! I know that seems rediculously low, but it honestly seems plenty bright to me. Contrast is set to mid to high 90s and brightness is in the 50s. I discovered recently that Standard mode seems to have better shadow detail than movie mode with other settings being equal. I now have the most recent firmware installed (1207 or 1208 i think). So, my questions:

1. What is the best way to increase shadow detail? Brightness, contrast, gamma, or panel light (or a combination)?

2. Should lower panel light output increase or decrease shadow detail? I feel like it increases shadow detail but that could be because my other settings aren't right.

4. Is there something wrong with my eyes or my tv that i have it set to panel light setting of 3? At this setting i feel that it is roughly as bright as my panasonic st-60 (which is a great, modern plasma tv).

6. Is it possible this problem is exclusive to the netflix and amazon prime apps? Or possibly a consequence of not watching content through an hdmi port?

I think a professional calibration would help greatly. Otherwise, use movie mode, warm1 instead of warm 2. Lower brightness to around 45. I know you don't like a higher cell light, but with movie mode you should be able to raise it to 13 or 14 and it will look better. I tried a low cell light under 10, and detail is lost. Standard is very bright compared to movie mode. Movie mode is much closer to 65K out of the box, compared to Standard, which is way too cool. Plus gamma in Movie mode is better than Standard model. Choose a gamma of zero or +1.
post #4144 of 4147 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I would think that your source material has a lot to do with your dissatisfaction. Try Blu Ray or at least HD cable or satellite.
post #4145 of 4147 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Netflix via the tv app should not look like it lacks detail. If you are getting HD from Netflix it should look as good satellite or cable tv HD.
post #4146 of 4147 Old Today, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Cell light of 3 is pretty low. For dark room viewing, the lowest I ever go is around 8. If you feel like you are missing out on shadow detail, try changing your gamma to +1. Make sure you recheck your brightness/contrast setting so they are right/not clipping.
post #4147 of 4147 Old Today, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Make sure you properly set black level and contrast. Raise cell light somewhere around 17, the adjust gamma (0 or + 1 should be what you're looking for)

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread