F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #4261 of 4275 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
Are there any differences using a high cell light/lower contrast vs lower cell light/higher contrast settings?
Or is it just two ways of accomplishing the same thing?
Example: Cell Light 20/Contrast 85 vs Cell Light 15/Contrast 95.
Not sure if the above produces exactly the same light output but you get the idea.
15/95 for reasons stated in above posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4275 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
15/95 for reasons stated in above posts.
I'm actually running 10/84 for Cal-Night and 14/89 for Cal-Day. My viewing environment is almost always very dark. Those numbers seem low, professionally calibrated of course, but I'm curious to see what Chad B comes up with next month on his trip to California.
post #4263 of 4275 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm actually running 10/84 for Cal-Night and 14/89 for Cal-Day. My viewing environment is almost always very dark. Those numbers seem low, professionally calibrated of course, but I'm curious to see what Chad B comes up with next month on his trip to California.
do you know what your peak luminance is at those settings?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #4264 of 4275 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Also keep in mind that Chad B may not mind the effects on the ten point controls at such low contrast levels as much as us hobbyists do. He is more experienced after all.
post #4265 of 4275 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No, but I'm sure Chad B will measure everything before he starts doing what he does and I'll post back after that happens.

I've always wondered why my settings seem to be so different when compared to others posted here but the display looks fantastic, I don't feel as if I'm missing any luminance or brightness. As I noted, my viewing is pretty close to 95% darkened room(lights off, black curtained) and I don't like a blazing white-hot image anyway.

The display was originally calibrated by Robert Busch and was color calibrated to match a Joe Kane spec'ed/setup projector(I don't recall the exact details).

Last edited by Keenan; Yesterday at 06:39 PM.
post #4266 of 4275 Old Today, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
honestly, the best way i've found to lower luminance is using the eco settings, but ONLY if it just happens to be the right amount.
Zoyd has stated before that Eco solution low = CL 14 and medium = CL 8.
post #4267 of 4275 Old Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I used this thread to guide me and ended up with 20/82. The fact that I had a lower Contrast did mess up the 10pt control.

Adjusting Cell Light on a Plasma

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #4268 of 4275 Old Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, almost every posted pro calibration of 8500's I've read has mid 90's contrast, probably because of the 10 pt. issue. Not questioning your cal.
post #4269 of 4275 Old Today, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Interesting, almost every posted pro calibration of 8500's I've read has mid 90's contrast, probably because of the 10 pt. issue. Not questioning your cal.
Yes, it's always been curious to me too, but I'm not really a 'hobbyist' in the way some folks are here in the way they tweak and change their settings on a regular basis. Plus, I simply don't have the gear required to do it correctly so I leave to the pros. Below are some screen-shots of some of the picture settings being used on my display, in case they're of interest to anyone. It's possible I'm not getting the best that this display can do although it looks outstanding to me. I'm very curious to see what Chad B does with it next month as I know he's very familiar with this display not to mention one of the best calibration guys around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	1239033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1239041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1239049  
post #4270 of 4275 Old Today, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Also keep in mind that Chad B may not mind the effects on the ten point controls at such low contrast levels as much as us hobbyists do. He is more experienced after all.
that wasn't what i was getting at. although lowering contrast effectively makes it 9pt, or 8pt controls... haha

it was just the combo of low contrast and lower cell light. seems like i'm somebody that likes or maybe 'tolerates' a dimmer image more than most(my projector was at 6ftl when i had it set 'by eye' before getting my meter) and i still found those settings dim. but on my tv, it would be like 20ftl.

anyway, i just figured it'd be more relevant to compare results instead of settings

Last edited by fierce_gt; Today at 05:42 PM.
post #4271 of 4275 Old Today, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Zoyd has stated before that Eco solution low = CL 14 and medium = CL 8.
= luminance, or = behaviour?

i'd believe that eco low is the equivalent in measured peak luminance as cell light 14, but from my experience, the two settings achieve that luminance in different ways. but i also doubt i've looked at it the same way zoyd has

post #4272 of 4275 Old Today, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it's always been curious to me too, but I'm not really a 'hobbyist' in the way some folks are here in the way they tweak and change their settings on a regular basis. Plus, I simply don't have the gear required to do it correctly so I leave to the pros. Below are some screen-shots of some of the picture settings being used on my display, in case they're of interest to anyone. It's possible I'm not getting the best that this display can do although it looks outstanding to me. I'm very curious to see what Chad B does with it next month as I know he's very familiar with this display not to mention one of the best calibration guys around.
i'm surprised you got a 'pro calibration' without touching the 10pt controls or color space. or is that different when using the cal-day and cal-night options?

i'm curious to hear what happens with the new calibration. your settings are very different than mine, so i'm intrigued

post #4273 of 4275 Old Today, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your calibrator never touched 10 pt. You're in for a pleasant surprise after Chad works on it.

fyi, haven't touched my cal in 8 months after finally dialing it in. Unfortunately, I now watch way too much junk.
Keenan likes this.
post #4274 of 4275 Old Today, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
i'm surprised you got a 'pro calibration' without touching the 10pt controls or color space. or is that different when using the cal-day and cal-night options?

i'm curious to hear what happens with the new calibration. your settings are very different than mine, so i'm intrigued
Yes, it does seem a bit odd but he does a lot of work with Joe Kane and I have no doubt he knows what he's doing, so I don't know why he didn't touch the 10pt. At the time, I was going from a Mits 73" RPTV(9" guns) to this plasma, with a very brief time spent using a godawful Vizio LED waiting for the plasma price drop and I was basically blown away at how good the F8500 looked when we set it up after the cal. I wasn't really asking about calibration details.

Those caps above are from the Cal-Night setting, I rarely if ever switch it to Cal-Day.

I'm very curious as well to see what happens and I will post back the results, at least, what I can with Chad's permission of course.
post #4275 of 4275 Old Today, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it does seem a bit odd but he does a lot of work with Joe Kane and I have no doubt he knows what he's doing, so I don't know why he didn't touch the 10pt. At the time, I was going from a Mits 73" RPTV(9" guns) to this plasma, with a very brief time spent using a godawful Vizio LED waiting for the plasma price drop and I was basically blown away at how good the F8500 looked when we set it up after the cal. I wasn't really asking about calibration details.

Those caps above are from the Cal-Night setting, I rarely if ever switch it to Cal-Day.

I'm very curious as well to see what happens and I will post back the results, at least, what I can with Chad's permission of course.
from my limiting experience, it does seem like there is often more than one way to get the same results, which is why i was curious about your measurements in the first place. ultimately it's what makes you happy that counts, but it'll be nice having the peace of mind knowing that your getting the best you can after chad's done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread