F8500 Recommended Settings Thread..... - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 320Likes

Old 02-07-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
Are there any differences using a high cell light/lower contrast vs lower cell light/higher contrast settings?
Or is it just two ways of accomplishing the same thing?
Example: Cell Light 20/Contrast 85 vs Cell Light 15/Contrast 95.
Not sure if the above produces exactly the same light output but you get the idea.
15/95 for reasons stated in above posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
15/95 for reasons stated in above posts.
I'm actually running 10/84 for Cal-Night and 14/89 for Cal-Day. My viewing environment is almost always very dark. Those numbers seem low, professionally calibrated of course, but I'm curious to see what Chad B comes up with next month on his trip to California.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm actually running 10/84 for Cal-Night and 14/89 for Cal-Day. My viewing environment is almost always very dark. Those numbers seem low, professionally calibrated of course, but I'm curious to see what Chad B comes up with next month on his trip to California.
do you know what your peak luminance is at those settings?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Old 02-07-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Also keep in mind that Chad B may not mind the effects on the ten point controls at such low contrast levels as much as us hobbyists do. He is more experienced after all.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No, but I'm sure Chad B will measure everything before he starts doing what he does and I'll post back after that happens.

I've always wondered why my settings seem to be so different when compared to others posted here but the display looks fantastic, I don't feel as if I'm missing any luminance or brightness. As I noted, my viewing is pretty close to 95% darkened room(lights off, black curtained) and I don't like a blazing white-hot image anyway.

The display was originally calibrated by Robert Busch and was color calibrated to match a Joe Kane spec'ed/setup projector(I don't recall the exact details).

Last edited by Keenan; 02-07-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
honestly, the best way i've found to lower luminance is using the eco settings, but ONLY if it just happens to be the right amount.
Zoyd has stated before that Eco solution low = CL 14 and medium = CL 8.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I used this thread to guide me and ended up with 20/82. The fact that I had a lower Contrast did mess up the 10pt control.

Adjusting Cell Light on a Plasma

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Old 02-08-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, almost every posted pro calibration of 8500's I've read has mid 90's contrast, probably because of the 10 pt. issue. Not questioning your cal.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Interesting, almost every posted pro calibration of 8500's I've read has mid 90's contrast, probably because of the 10 pt. issue. Not questioning your cal.
Yes, it's always been curious to me too, but I'm not really a 'hobbyist' in the way some folks are here in the way they tweak and change their settings on a regular basis. Plus, I simply don't have the gear required to do it correctly so I leave to the pros. Below are some screen-shots of some of the picture settings being used on my display, in case they're of interest to anyone. It's possible I'm not getting the best that this display can do although it looks outstanding to me. I'm very curious to see what Chad B does with it next month as I know he's very familiar with this display not to mention one of the best calibration guys around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	1239033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1239041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1239049  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Also keep in mind that Chad B may not mind the effects on the ten point controls at such low contrast levels as much as us hobbyists do. He is more experienced after all.
that wasn't what i was getting at. although lowering contrast effectively makes it 9pt, or 8pt controls... haha

it was just the combo of low contrast and lower cell light. seems like i'm somebody that likes or maybe 'tolerates' a dimmer image more than most(my projector was at 6ftl when i had it set 'by eye' before getting my meter) and i still found those settings dim. but on my tv, it would be like 20ftl.

anyway, i just figured it'd be more relevant to compare results instead of settings

Last edited by fierce_gt; 02-08-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Zoyd has stated before that Eco solution low = CL 14 and medium = CL 8.
= luminance, or = behaviour?

i'd believe that eco low is the equivalent in measured peak luminance as cell light 14, but from my experience, the two settings achieve that luminance in different ways. but i also doubt i've looked at it the same way zoyd has

Old 02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it's always been curious to me too, but I'm not really a 'hobbyist' in the way some folks are here in the way they tweak and change their settings on a regular basis. Plus, I simply don't have the gear required to do it correctly so I leave to the pros. Below are some screen-shots of some of the picture settings being used on my display, in case they're of interest to anyone. It's possible I'm not getting the best that this display can do although it looks outstanding to me. I'm very curious to see what Chad B does with it next month as I know he's very familiar with this display not to mention one of the best calibration guys around.
i'm surprised you got a 'pro calibration' without touching the 10pt controls or color space. or is that different when using the cal-day and cal-night options?

i'm curious to hear what happens with the new calibration. your settings are very different than mine, so i'm intrigued
AMartin56 likes this.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your calibrator never touched 10 pt. You're in for a pleasant surprise after Chad works on it.

fyi, haven't touched my cal in 8 months after finally dialing it in. Unfortunately, I now watch way too much junk.
Keenan likes this.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
i'm surprised you got a 'pro calibration' without touching the 10pt controls or color space. or is that different when using the cal-day and cal-night options?

i'm curious to hear what happens with the new calibration. your settings are very different than mine, so i'm intrigued
Yes, it does seem a bit odd but he does a lot of work with Joe Kane and I have no doubt he knows what he's doing, so I don't know why he didn't touch the 10pt. At the time, I was going from a Mits 73" RPTV(9" guns) to this plasma, with a very brief time spent using a godawful Vizio LED waiting for the plasma price drop and I was basically blown away at how good the F8500 looked when we set it up after the cal. I wasn't really asking about calibration details.

Those caps above are from the Cal-Night setting, I rarely if ever switch it to Cal-Day.

I'm very curious as well to see what happens and I will post back the results, at least, what I can with Chad's permission of course.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it does seem a bit odd but he does a lot of work with Joe Kane and I have no doubt he knows what he's doing, so I don't know why he didn't touch the 10pt. At the time, I was going from a Mits 73" RPTV(9" guns) to this plasma, with a very brief time spent using a godawful Vizio LED waiting for the plasma price drop and I was basically blown away at how good the F8500 looked when we set it up after the cal. I wasn't really asking about calibration details.

Those caps above are from the Cal-Night setting, I rarely if ever switch it to Cal-Day.

I'm very curious as well to see what happens and I will post back the results, at least, what I can with Chad's permission of course.
from my limiting experience, it does seem like there is often more than one way to get the same results, which is why i was curious about your measurements in the first place. ultimately it's what makes you happy that counts, but it'll be nice having the peace of mind knowing that your getting the best you can after chad's done.
Keenan likes this.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suppose it depends on your approach. I can't say that I've tried it recently but I bet you could get all of your errors below 3.0 (supposedly the limit of human perception) with the two point controls only and would still have a pretty flat gamma curve. Using the ten point controls at times seemed more like 'chasing the perfect chart' than getting anywhere that actually improved the look of the picture all that much. I had to remind myself that 'less can be more' with ten point adjustments especially once you start looking at what guard rail to guard rail changes do to the points 'in between' when you run a 20 pt grayscale pass.

Having said that using the ten point controls DOES have some benefits of course. For one thing you need them if you wish to try BT.1886 gamma (which is my preference now after a lot of experimenting).
Keenan likes this.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Panamorph Phoenix. Patio: Epson 2040
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
= luminance, or = behaviour?

i'd believe that eco low is the equivalent in measured peak luminance as cell light 14, but from my experience, the two settings achieve that luminance in different ways. but i also doubt i've looked at it the same way zoyd has
I am note sure but here is the exact quote: Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are my latest results on my 51 inch panel and I feel like other than the BT.1886 adjustments at the low end I'm pretty light on the ten point adjustments. I'm pretty happy with these results...although I do bounce back and forth with Cinema Motion...I can't say I like the motion smoothing options on this set.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Current Settings.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	1240457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grayscale Measures.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	1240465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contrast.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	1240473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Checker.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	1240481  

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Panamorph Phoenix. Patio: Epson 2040
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are my latest results on my 51 inch panel and I feel like other than the BT.1886 adjustments at the low end I'm pretty light on the ten point adjustments. I'm pretty happy with these results...although I do bounce back and forth with Cinema Motion...I can't say I like the motion smoothing options on this set.
Surprised reading your ambivalence toward a complete cal, particularly after all your work with HCFR. In addition to 10 pt., color space was also untouched by Keenan's original calibrator.

The before and after of a thorough cal of my 8500 is similar to the difference between a cartoon character and an oil portrait. Near black shadow detail revealed in a BT curve alone was worth the effort for me.

Can't wait to read Keenan's impressions after Chad's visit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Settings.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1240753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Greyscale.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1240825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contrast.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1240857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Checker.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1240865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Checker 1.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1240873  

Last edited by bmcn; Yesterday at 07:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Surprised reading your ambivalence toward a complete cal, particularly after all your work with HCFR. In addition to 10 pt., color space was also untouched by Keenan's original calibrator.

The before and after of a thorough cal of my 8500 is similar to the difference between a cartoon character and an oil portrait. Near black shadow detail revealed in a BT curve alone was worth the effort for me.

Can't wait to read Keenan's impressions after Chad's visit.
Not sure what you mean by 'ambivalence toward a complete cal'... I just don't want to slam another calibrator for not using ten point.. Especially when I'm just a hobbyist with entry level equipment.

I did a quick pre-Super Bowl calibration on a Samsung LED for a friend last weekend and while I WAS slightly pressed for time I didn't see the point in messing with its ten point. Errors were VERY low with just two point and gamma looked good.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't realize color space wasn't touched... Yeah that ain't right.
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by 'ambivalence toward a complete cal'... I just don't want to slam another calibrator for not using ten point.. Especially when I'm just a hobbyist with entry level equipment.

I did a quick pre-Super Bowl calibration on a Samsung LED for a friend last weekend and while I WAS slightly pressed for time I didn't see the point in messing with its ten point. Errors were VERY low with just two point and gamma looked good.
My guess is the entry level equipment yields 80-90% of results using pro gear.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My guess is the entry level equipment yields 80-90% of results using pro gear.
Probably. I'd say slightly higher than that if you take the time to learn how to use it. I can only profile my id3 on a entry spectro that may or may not be accurate so I know I may be chasing rainbows but I try to hope for the best. Ignorance is bliss etc. Ultimately I find the process interesting so I want to do it myself.
bmcn likes this.
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I am note sure but here is the exact quote: Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)
i don't want to put words in zoyd's mouth, but based on the first part of that quote, and my own experience. i would interpret it to mean eco-low achieves that luminance, but in a different way.

so i guess, if you are happy with the luminance with a cell light setting of 14, then i'd recommend you set eco to low instead of lowering cell light to 14. that way you'll get the same peak luminance, but in a way that i think is 'better'. but if you find cell light 14 is too low, the eco setting will be too much of a compromise, and not worth the benefits.

Old Today, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
i don't want to put words in zoyd's mouth, but based on the first part of that quote, and my own experience. i would interpret it to mean eco-low achieves that luminance, but in a different way.
As far as I can tell there is no difference between using eco mode vs. cell light to adjust light output other than eco mode uses courser steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv