Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Component nooooooooo [emoji33][emoji12]

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Well, I'm talking about watching news, etc.; it doesn't have to be the ultimate picture. Plus, it gives me a way to customize settings depending on inputs. I use Component in for daytime viewing, HDMI1 for nighttime TV viewing, and HDMI2 for blu-ray viewing.

One thing I'm wondering, though, after going through these settings: Why are Auto1 and Auto2 grayed out in Film Mode, even when I'm feeding a blu-ray movie signal to the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Check your Blu-ray settings to make sure it's outputting the correct signal. Film Mode will only activate when the TV receives the right one. Not sure if it's available on component either. I think most have the set with HDMI only.

post #2193 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Check your Blu-ray settings to make sure it's outputting the correct signal. Film Mode will only activate when the TV receives the right one. Not sure if it's available on component either. I think most have the set with HDMI only.

The only thing I have hooked up by component to the TV is a PVR. My Blu-ray player is connected via HDMI. What do you mean by "the correct signal?"
post #2194 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Your Blu-Ray player needs to have 1080p/24 enabled. If your are sending out 1080/60 FM gets disabled. Also if you are going through your AVR you need to make sure it's set to "pass-thru" and not a "set" value.

KONICA TECH likes this.
post #2195 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Your Blu-Ray player needs to have 1080p/24 enabled. If your are sending out 1080/60 FM gets disabled. Also if you are going through your AVR you need to make sure it's set to "pass-thru" and not a "set" value.

I have an Oppo with dual HDMI output, and it has 1080p/24 enabled. The HDMI going to my receiver has the video disabled, and the one going to the TV outputs only video. I also have an HDMI from my receiver to the TV for the satellite signal. I might need to re-think the connections if there is some kind of "bleed-through" on the HDMI from the Oppo to the receiver. On the other hand, it looks very good as is.
post #2196 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchie69 View Post
I used most of the settings in here expect I had to pump up the brightness a bit. It was too dark in the high 40 range.

Currently set to 58.
Using what source? My HTPC sending RGB (0-255) needs a brightness setting of 48 and my cable box (YCbCr 16-235) needs a brightness setting of 47.
post #2197 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
One thing I'm wondering, though, after going through these settings: Why are Auto1 and Auto2 grayed out in Film Mode, even when I'm feeding a blu-ray movie signal to the TV?
Those are only selectable if you're sending the TV an interlacing signal. Your blu-ray player is unlikely to output 1080i60.
post #2198 of 2205 Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
I used most of the settings in here expect I had to pump up the brightness a bit. It was too dark in the high 40 range.

Currently set to 58.
That doesn't sound right.

What do you have contrast, cell and eco set too?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2199 of 2205 Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
That doesn't sound right.

What do you have contrast, cell and eco set too?
Contrast 95
Cell Light 17
Eco off

Even using the Disney WOW disc to calibrate, 58 looks to be the ideal setting for my set.
post #2200 of 2205 Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Using what source? My HTPC sending RGB (0-255) needs a brightness setting of 48 and my cable box (YCbCr 16-235) needs a brightness setting of 47.
Any source really....they all look great.
post #2201 of 2205 Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any source really....they all look great.
So if you pause playback of your source on a pure black frame and go up to the F8500's screen and look at it closely you don't see any "dancing" red/green pixels instead of a constant very dark gray shade?

On my 64" F8500 the "dancing" pixels show up at 49 with a RGB (0-255) source and 48 with a YCbCr (16-235) source. Hence why I'm using 48 and 47 respectively for brightness.

I have Cell Light at 20 and Contrast at 95 in Movie / Warm2. I have not adjusted gamma from 0, made any 2 / 10 point white balance adjustments, or adjusted CMS changes (so far).
post #2202 of 2205 Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Those are only selectable if you're sending the TV an interlacing signal. Your blu-ray player is unlikely to output 1080i60.
One reason I'm confused about this is that I gathered some recommended settings from several sources just to see if there was consensus or at least patterns of agreement. Some of those sources said to set Film Mode to Auto2. I had assumed that most people, when they think of recommended settings, are thinking of applying them to the input that feeds the blu-ray signal.

After watching a movie last night, I turned my receiver off and switched to the component input on my TV, which is how I usually watch satellite programming in the daytime. There was a program about the history of the Bond franchise on that contained clips from the movies. When the clips came on, I noticed a significant soap opera effect. I went into the picture menu, and not only were Auto1 and Auto2 not grayed out, but Auto 1 was selected. I turned it and the dejudder canceller off, and the SOE went away.

Another reason I'm confused about the Film Mode setting is that I don't know how it works or when or why it should be set to something other than Off.

I have a fairly complex set-up, and it might need some tweaking. I have the 8500, a Denon 4310 (non-3D capable), a PVR, and an Oppo 103D. The PVR is connected to the TV by component video and composite audio, and it's connected to the receiver by HDMI. The receiver is connected to the TV by HDMI. The Oppo is connected to the TV by HDMI (video only), and to the receiver by HDMI (audio only). I'm trying to set my picture settings based on which input the TV is on.
post #2203 of 2205 Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One reason I'm confused about this is that I gathered some recommended settings from several sources just to see if there was consensus or at least patterns of agreement. Some of those sources said to set Film Mode to Auto2. I had assumed that most people, when they think of recommended settings, are thinking of applying them to the input that feeds the blu-ray signal.

After watching a movie last night, I turned my receiver off and switched to the component input on my TV, which is how I usually watch satellite programming in the daytime. There was a program about the history of the Bond franchise on that contained clips from the movies. When the clips came on, I noticed a significant soap opera effect. I went into the picture menu, and not only were Auto1 and Auto2 not grayed out, but Auto 1 was selected. I turned it and the dejudder canceller off, and the SOE went away.

Another reason I'm confused about the Film Mode setting is that I don't know how it works or when or why it should be set to something other than Off.

I have a fairly complex set-up, and it might need some tweaking. I have the 8500, a Denon 4310 (non-3D capable), a PVR, and an Oppo 103D. The PVR is connected to the TV by component video and composite audio, and it's connected to the receiver by HDMI. The receiver is connected to the TV by HDMI. The Oppo is connected to the TV by HDMI (video only), and to the receiver by HDMI (audio only). I'm trying to set my picture settings based on which input the TV is on.
I guess I should have been a little more clear in my post. Commercial movies on Blu-ray are 99% (or greater) 1080p24. The player will most likely output 1080p24 or 1080p60 depending on how it's set and what it can do. 1080i60 is a valid format for a Blu-ray disc. Your player probably can output 1080i60, but it might also process it internally to 1080p60 or 1080p24 depending how you have it configured. However, short of test discs and maybe concert Blu-rays 1080i60 is on Blu-ray is quite uncommon.

Film mode (Auto 1) is intended to be set for interlaced content that originated from film to recover the original progressive frames. Specifically 24FPS film content that has had a 3:2 telecine applied to it to get i60. So, if you watch a movie on HBO from cable or satellite Auto1 should be used there. A lot of network TV shows broadcast shows in HD are also film based, shows like CSI, NCIS, Grimm, Revolution, etc. You would want to use Auto1 on these also. HD shows your local news, Saturday Night Live, The Tonight Show, etc are extremely unlikely to be film based i60 content and Auto1 shouldn't be used for them.
paligap likes this.
post #2204 of 2205 Old Today, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

There is a ton of information here! I am getting my 64 F8500 tonight, and I was wondering if there are some good settings for my situation. At least to start.

I have the Disney WoW disc, and my components will be through my receiver. I have a PS4 and Xbox One, both of which I could use as a BR player. I could use a dedicated system also if that will make things easier.

Are there and starting settings I should try for both the cable and game systems? I know people have mentioned using 'gaming' or 'pc' as modes, but then that would screw up the visual quality of my BR player wouldn't it?

EDIT: Oh, should I updated the firmware right away? Or soon after getting setup? Assuming it is not the latest?

EDIT 2: Do you run all your connections to a receiver and then pass a single HDMI cable to the TV? With the changing of modes, it seems this would be illogical.

Last edited by ParityBit; Today at 05:26 AM.
post #2205 of 2205 Old Today, 06:37 AM

Quote:
So if you pause playback of your source on a pure black frame and go up to the F8500's screen and look at it closely you don't see any "dancing" red/green pixels instead of a constant very dark gray shade?

On my 64" F8500 the "dancing" pixels show up at 49 with a RGB (0-255) source and 48 with a YCbCr (16-235) source. Hence why I'm using 48 and 47 respectively for brightness.

I have Cell Light at 20 and Contrast at 95 in Movie / Warm2. I have not adjusted gamma from 0, made any 2 / 10 point white balance adjustments, or adjusted CMS changes (so far).
No I don't, blacks look spectacular actually.

I will try to take a pic tonight.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page