post #2281 of 2283 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFiberGuy View Post
I've had my 64F8500 for almost a year now , and I'm very happy with the settings ,but one thing I keep going back and forth on is Cinemasmooth . I remember reading the cnet review stating it should be left off because of higher black levels . What is the general consensus for CinemaSmooth now ? Has anything changed with firmware ?
Yes, the increased black level issue when using CinemaSmooth was fixed with a firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2283 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Been there, done that.

Bottom line is some content looks better with a 2.2 gamma and other looks best with BT1886. I was under the impression that BT1886 was the defacto gamma but I find more content looking correct with 2.2.

By the way, with BT1886, don't you find the whites sometimes just a bit too hot? That's to be expected with 2.4 at the top end but just checking to see if you have the same experience.
No, not on my LCD panels. But they all have stable gamma. Plasma gamma is anything but stable. The ABL ruins it. I found using small APL patterns to hit bt.1886 gave me the best all around gamma on my samsung plasmas. Non-APL 7-12% windows for my panasonic's depending on the model.

I think to really compare gammas you need a display which has a stable gamma. No plasma has this. Simply calibrating a 2.2 gamma with different window sizes will give different results on a plasma. There does seem to be sweet spots in pattern size which give better APL coverage though...
Damien Inferno likes this.

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
post #2283 of 2283 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Rec. 1886 is really only intended for displays in a controlled mastering environment. It stretches the tonal range (reduces gamma) near black to compensate for a display with elevated black levels in a dark room.

If you're using any room lighting, and the blacks on the TV actually look "black" though, then you shouldn't need much gamma compensation near black, and a "flat" gamma (in the ~2.4 range) should work reasonably well.

If you change the Gamma setting on the display btw, then you must recalibrate Brightness to keep reference black (Y'=16) at the display's MLL, to prevent shadow detail from being either clipped or elevated. The lower you set the Gamma control, the higher you'll need to set the Brightness control to keep shadow detail from being clipped.

Cell Light and Contrast also effect the Brightness setting. So set Brightness last after making changes to any of the other color controls on the TV.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page