last week I got a I1D3 delivered and today I finally got a chance to try actually 'calibrating' my f8500.
first, I want to say that I had plugged in 2 different settings from this thread, both of which needed a bit of 'tweaking' but looked great to my eyes. and when I checked, neither was even close. so I don't expect anybody else to find mine super useful either, but why not share anyway?
I have been struggling with a 'best' way to reduce the brightness of this panel. with the meter I quickly checked the effects of reducing cell light, turning on eco mode, and reducing contrast. the results were terrible, worse, and pretty bad
cell light probably could have worked too, but it made the default movie setting way off on greyscale and gamma
eco mode also changed the greyscale and gamma a ton
reducing the contrast didn't make a lot of changes to the defaults, but greatly increased the difficulty of adjusting from here on after(i'll explain in a bit)
so, I dropped my contrast down to 90, and set brightness, color, tint 'by eye' with the test pattern, and began my readings with these settings:
Picture mode: Movie
Cell light: 20
Dynamic Contrast: off
Black tone: off
Flesh tone: 0
Color Space: auto
White Balance: see below
10p white balance: see below
Gamma: 0(I decided to go for a 'middle ground' of 2.3 to start off, may change this, and hopefully moving the gamma to -1 or 1 shifts it nicely)
color tone: warm2
digital clean view: off
MPEG noise filter: off
film mode:auto2(just left this, not sure)
BO: dark room
now the problem with reducing contrast is that it also shifts the 10pt controls. 1 is more like 1.1, and 2 more like 2.2, etc, and 10 basically does nothing. this makes it REALLY hard to adjust things in the middle. something that's 'off' on 5, is almost unfixable. so I tried a lot of different things, but found the more I tweaked with the 10pt controls, the more issues I ended up having.
so after a while, I managed to get a pretty darn good calibration. I wrote down the settings, and continued to tweak though. I thought I might be able to get better if I adjusted the 2pt controls slightly and went from there. however, looking back, I might plug these values back in and just fix the issues at 80% and up(which should be possible I think).
after adjusting the 2pt and going back to the 10pt controls, this is what I have so far. I have not touched the color at all yet, but after doing the greyscale/gamma, it's 'close' already.
I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the results so far, but I'm way too addicted to this whole thing. I keep thinking 'one more tweak, one more tweak will perfect it', haha.