AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I don't know the exact specs, but think of it like this

16:9- displays a 1888x1062 resolution image on the 1920x1080 screen.
screen fit - displays a 1920x1080 resolution image on the 1920x1080 screen.

in both cases it's a 16:9 aspect ratio, just like 1920x1080 and 1280x720 are both '16:9', but the 16:9 option crops several pictures around the edge(looks like it's zoomed in about 2%) which results in a lower resolution source being displayed. so the tv needs to do some scaling(since it's zoomed in) which results in more artifacts than a 1:1 pixel matched image.

I leave mine set to screen fit all the time. my cable box automatically stretches 4:3 to 16:9, and I don't watch movies often enough(I have a projector for that) on the f8500 to worry about the occasional scope movie.

screen fit is the best for picture quality.
16:9 is useful if there's coded information around the edge(some cable channels do this) that you want to crop off, or if you want to use the pixel orbiter features
any of the various zoom/stretch options are complete personal preference. I don't tend to 'care' that much about anything presented in 4:3, so I just let that get stretched, but that's just my preference. it's definitely not better.

if you are not sending a 1920x1080 signal to the tv, then the 'extra scaling' of 16:9 mode is pretty irrelevant since the tv will have to do scaling in screen fit mode as well. you don't have to switch back and forth, but if you don't ever watch 1080p content, then there's no real benefit to screen fit either.

But isn't broadcast HDTV 1920x1080? Also, what happens to 4:3 HDTV content if leave in screen fit versus 16:9 as I watch 4:3 classic TV in HD from Netflix, or even some SD from VHS tapes on occasion. Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2732 Unread Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
16:9 conforms to typical broadcast overscan recommendations and you lose about 3.5% of the image, which is then stretched to fit the screen. Screen fit has no overscan.

If broadcast TV is stretched to fit the screen, then logic seems to imply that if not stretched broadcast TV would leave black bars. I thought 1:1 was just for PC's. If you edit mpeg, do you select 1:1 versus DAR 19:9? Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page