AVS Forum banner

F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....

575K views 4K replies 409 participants last post by  hovermale1 
#1 ·
....It seems the dedicated F8500 thread is getting a lot of traffic and any recommendations for setting tweeks or fine-tunes are getting lost in the 66p+ of that thread.

I thought it might be wise (and needed) to have a dedicated settings thread for this series.

In my own case I have a 51" unit and am looking for a generalized set of settings in an average brightness room for general HD viewing using NYC Fios as my primary signal source.

TIA and I hope this thread is helpful to all current or prospective F8500 owners.

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23188971

Do you plan on getting your F8500 isf calibrated?

I havent even decided if I am getting the F8500.the VT and ZT are still in consideration for me.....but once I do get a set Im not sure if Ill get it pro claibrated or try getting a meter and doing it myself.....

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23189046

I havent even decided if I am getting the F8500.the VT and ZT are still in consideration for me.....but once I do get a set Im not sure if Ill get it pro claibrated or try getting a meter and doing it myself.....

sorry, thought you were a new owner. If you don't mind me asking, what set are you using now and did you get that one calibrated?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23189059

sorry, thought you were a new owner. If you don't mind me asking, what set are you using now and did you get that one calibrated?

No worries, if the ZT\VT had sets Id probably be in those threads, the F8500 right now is the only one out that we can see so I try to be active, of course since its on my "might buy list" I try to keep on top of things....

Right now using an Old Samsung DLP, I have wanted to upgrade for the past few years but was held back by a "better half" now that the "better half" is now an X I can finally upgrade without kickback

Unlike some I dont upgrade often, but when i do, I want to make sure I am going to enjoy the set for a number of years.....

#7 ·
Oh i know what you mean, I did a big upgrade from the 65in 1080i/540p CRT to the 1080p LCD and then ultimately the plasma. Funny how with all the extra resolution you end up with so many 'new' problems to learn about. If the CRT had just been 1080p, I already had geometry/convergence figured out and would have been set....of course the better half likes slim and stainless

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23189116

Oh i know what you mean, I did a big upgrade from the 65in 1080i/540p CRT to the 1080p LCD and then ultimately the plasma. Funny how with all the extra resolution you end up with so many 'new' problems to learn about. If the CRT had just been 1080p, I already had geometry/convergence figured out and would have been set....of course the better half likes slim and stainless

Thats what she said!!! My set is still going stong only on its second bulb (the 1st lasted 13k hours and was still useable)........I think its time for an upgrade at least until OLED or the next tech becomes reasonable.....

#9 ·
movie mode

celllight-14

contrast-95

brightness-47

sharpness-0

color-50

dyn contrast-off

blacktone-off

colorspace-auto

2pt whitebalance-24,25,28,21,25,30

10pt white balance-off

gamma-0

colortone-warm2 (warm1 if theres greenish tint in faces/whites & whites look like piss)

digital-off

mpeg-off

hdmiblacklevel-low

filmmode-off (auto1 if your watching non-quality feeds)

motion-off

blackoptimizer-darmroom

*to get better details, calibrate black level (brightness) & white level (contrast) with avs709.

Reactions: Dougofthenorth
#3,217 ·
movie mode
celllight-14
contrast-95
brightness-47
sharpness-0
color-50
dyn contrast-off
blacktone-off
colorspace-auto
2pt whitebalance-24,25,28,21,25,30
10pt white balance-off
gamma-0
colortone-warm2 (warm1 if theres greenish tint in faces/whites & whites look like piss)
digital-off
mpeg-off
hdmiblacklevel-low
filmmode-off (auto1 if your watching non-quality feeds)
motion-off
blackoptimizer-darmroom

*to get better details, calibrate black level (brightness) & white level (contrast) with avs709.
Hdmi black level is greyed out at normal in movie mode.

#10 ·
wicked indeed!!! even watching with wireless connection, check out some of any manufacturers youtube demos... LGs fireworks, samsung karim rashid full hd demo 1080, among the many... simply stunning

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23207448

wicked indeed!!! even watching with wireless connection, check out some of any manufacturers youtube demos... LGs fireworks, samsung karim rashid full hd demo 1080, among the many... simply stunning

you know it..Samsung pdp's have the sharpness image out there.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/10_10#post_23207457

you know it..Samsung pdp's have the sharpness image out there.

exactly why i made this purchase!

#20 ·
from mightymouseusf...

Post-Calibration readings taken with the below settings:

Picture Mode: CALNIGHT

Cell Light: 10 (CALDAY: 20)

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 47 (CALDAY: 46)

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: G50R50

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 2 (CALDAY: 1)

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Auto

White Balance

ROffset: 24 (CAL-DAY: 25

GOffset: 25

BOffest: 28 (CAL-DAY: 27)

RGain: 21

GGain: 25

BGain: 30 (CAL-DAY: 29)

Picture options

Color Tone: Warm2

Digital Clean View: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

motion Judder Canceller: Off

Black optimizer: Off

For 3D, use CAL-DAY

Cell Light: 20

Brightness:: 45

Sharpness: 10

#2,833 ·
from mightymouseusf...

Post-Calibration readings taken with the below settings:

Picture Mode: CALNIGHT
Cell Light: 10 (CALDAY: 20)
Brightness: 47 (CALDAY: 46)
Sharpness: 0

Advanced Settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 2 (CALDAY: 1)
Flesh Tone: 0
Color Space: Auto

White Balance
ROffset: 24 (CAL-DAY: 25
GOffset: 25
BOffest: 28 (CAL-DAY: 27)
RGain: 21
GGain: 25
BGain: 30 (CAL-DAY: 29)

Picture options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
motion Judder Canceller: Off
Black optimizer: Off

For 3D, use CAL-DAY
Cell Light: 20
Brightness:: 45
Sharpness: 10
There is no cal-day picture mode in F8500.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23212528

Robinson,

It makes no sense to use grayscale/gamma settings for a warm2, gamma=0 calibration with warm1 and gamma=-3.

Larry

ok.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23212662

Thanks, I know you pointed out to me (I think it was you) about not lowering brightness settings because it con screw up the blacks. The only reason why I have gamma @-3, is that it made the colors look deep & I liked that. Warm1 to us makes the whites better, so should I just keep gamma@0 then. I dont know the science like some of you guys do, just see what looks good... I really like warm1 better than 2, so what would you recommend I do with that. Thanks.

According to Miller's calibration report, the gamma setting of 0 yields a true gamma of 2.38. Assuming that the gamma control changes the real gamma by 0.1 for each tick of change in the control as Samsung as done for the past several years then going down to -3 will put the true gamma at about 2.7. That's a very high gamma. In fact Miller's 2.4 gamma is high and only useful for viewing in a very dark environment. Also, it's clear from Miller's report that the default gamma point curve must be pretty flat -- he only needed to adjust the curve at 30% stimulus.

The color temperature of warm1 is bluer than warm2. Miller adjusted the warm2 color temperature to meet specification using the white balance and 10 point controls. Using his setting with the warm1 temperature is meaningless without knowing beforehand the warm1 characteristics.

Without meters, you are better off resetting all the controls. Download a free calibration disk. Turn off all the junk settings. Adjust your Contrast and Brightness (and maybe the tint) with the disk. For the Samsung, set Film mode to auto1 and Color space to auto. After that, you can adjust the gamma to your liking. Leave the white balance, 10 point, and color management controls alone.

EDIT: Set the color temperature to your liking also.

Larry

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/20_10#post_23212725

According to Miller's calibration report, the gamma setting of 0 yields a true gamma of 2.38. Assuming that the gamma control changes the real gamma by 0.1 for each tick of change in the control as Samsung as done for the past several years then going down to -3 will put the true gamma at about 2.7. That's a very high gamma. In fact Miller's 2.4 gamma is high and only useful for viewing in a very dark environment. Also, it's clear from Miller's report that the default gamma point curve must be pretty flat -- he only needed to adjust the curve at 30% stimulus.

The color temperature of warm1 is bluer than warm2. Miller adjusted the warm2 color temperature to meet specification using the white balance and 10 point controls. Using his setting with the warm1 temperature is meaningless without knowing beforehand the warm1 characteristics.

Without meters, you are better off resetting all the controls. Download a free calibration disk. Turn off all the junk settings. Adjust your Contrast and Brightness (and maybe the tint) with the disk. For the Samsung, set Film mode to auto1 and Color space to auto. After that, you can adjust the gamma to your liking. Leave the white balance, 10 point, and color management controls alone.

EDIT: Set the color temperature to your liking also.

Larry

what would your suggestions be for using one of the other disc options for simple calibration... DVE HD Basics bluray or disney WOW? spears and muncil or what ever that one is? i know one of them is coming out with an updated 2013 version but can't remember offhand which one, do you happen to know? at the moment i don't have an easy way to download the free one... issues on my laptop. thanks!

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread#post_23212859

what would your suggestions be for using one of the other disc options for simple calibration... DVE HD Basics bluray or disney WOW? spears and muncil or what ever that one is? i know one of them is coming out with an updated 2013 version but can't remember offhand which one, do you happen to know? at the moment i don't have an easy way to download the free one... issues on my laptop. thanks!

I was going to get the disneywow a couple wk before the tv came. Still havnt. Was going to get settings from the pros that posted here. Let me know if you get one, Im going to burn the avshd709 once I get ask a friend for a blank dvddisk to burn... I just want to have correct whitebalance settings for using warm1.