Panasonic has developed its 'last plasma panel,' but television sales to continue - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Might as well hold onto your Kuro and get a model that uses the ZT panel next year for cheap. Probably won't have the special filter process on the lower end models, but it'll likely be an upgrade.

For the last 2 years, the ST series has beaten out the previous years VT. It's likely to continue next year.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

From what I saw on Tuesday, yes

I think the "real test" will be the shootout in the beginning of May.....That wway calibrators can get thier hands on the set and see if any difference can be made.....I dont have a real issue with what you have said though and think they may be hurting the videophille market that tends to skew higher end...
sheshechic likes this.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Just the answer I was seeking, gmarceau. I have enough debt now as it is, so your advice on waiting is sage. wink.gif

Of course, Ph8, I'll be paying attention to that event in the meantime also. smile.gif
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskin 
I think you cant say it any better then randy just did
then there is no need for adding anything wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins 
Just to add to what Randy said. The Panasonic insider said "2014 will only bring about more improvements from this year. Just nothing groundbreaking as we are already so close to reference."
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I think the "real test" will be the shootout in the beginning of May.....That wway calibrators can get thier hands on the set and see if any difference can be made.....I dont have a real issue with what you have said though and think they may be hurting the videophille market that tends to skew higher end...

Going by an mll of .0016 for the ST and having seen the ZT, I can tell you that it's not that much blacker. It was pretty much even with the 9G Kuro, although I can't tell you for sure, the 9G might have been a tad darker-basically splitting hairs, you wouldn't be able to even begin distinguishing them apart unless they were side by side, at least I was having trouble. It was looking at black on the ZT and red/black on the 151.

Also, things may have changed regarding the sample I saw and production models may get deeper as has been suggested by the insider at HDJ, but honestly, it's really close at this point and I'm pretty sure even he can't tell the difference. Anything glows a little unless it's 0fL

My xbr960 had black so deep that I almost couldn't tell if it was on or off, that was deeper than my 500m, but with 99% of content, it's almost meaningless.

I know plasma is near its end now, because the under $1,000 tv is up there with a specialty $4,000 model.

The only thing that is really interesting is the 30,000 steps of gradation on low level content, but I'm not even sure how much you'd notice that, since the first VT60 review didn't really touch on its significance. The kuro still had much more saturated reds when both displays were at rec.709, but I don't know what we would have seen with both calibrated.

The ST60 is measuring better in contrast than the VT50, the set everyone thought was near a 9G. I can remember a VT25 review in HTMag that had those sets surprisingly close, with mid to high apl looking to have more contrast on the VT25.

The 2014s will likely be a little better. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I suspect the Vt60 and Zt60 will have slightly better color than the ST60 where skin tones could look a bit unnatural at times according to one review. The red phosphor and extra gradations have got to give a slight edge for the VT and ZT. The VT will likely be very slightly darker than the ST. Obviously , video processing will be better on the VT/ZT too.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

Going by an mll of .0016 for the ST and having seen the ZT, I can tell you that it's not that much blacker. It was pretty much even with the 9G Kuro, although I can't tell you for sure, the 9G might have been a tad darker-basically splitting hairs, you wouldn't be able to even begin distinguishing them apart unless they were side by side, at least I was having trouble. It was looking at black on the ZT and red/black on the 151.

Also, things may have changed regarding the sample I saw and production models may get deeper as has been suggested by the insider at HDJ, but honestly, it's really close at this point and I'm pretty sure even he can't tell the difference. Anything glows a little unless it's 0fL

My xbr960 had black so deep that I almost couldn't tell if it was on or off, that was deeper than my 500m, but with 99% of content, it's almost meaningless.

I know plasma is near its end now, because the under $1,000 tv is up there with a specialty $4,000 model.

The only thing that is really interesting is the 30,000 steps of gradation on low level content, but I'm not even sure how much you'd notice that, since the first VT60 review didn't really touch on its significance. The kuro still had much more saturated reds when both displays were at rec.709, but I don't know what we would have seen with both calibrated.

The ST60 is measuring better in contrast than the VT50, the set everyone thought was near a 9G. I can remember a VT25 review in HTMag that had those sets surprisingly close, with mid to high apl looking to have more contrast on the VT25.

The 2014s will likely be a little better. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Im holding off judgement of the VT\Zt until we can get them calibrated, from what I ahve seen both the ZT and Kuro were set at defaults which we all know can be less than ideal wink.gif I do agree with you though that we are reaching the "end game" for plasma as far as advancements go which are still viable for the manufacturers.....As I said the ST may have been made "too well" and for those of us in the "know" we may choose the ST over the VT just for bang for the buck as "right around the corder" we ahve OLED coming along in a few (5 maybe a little more) years......

I also agree with this years lineup Sets form Panasonic and Samsung you cant go wrong smile.gif I just know the MLL warriors will most likely be dissapointed (DNice warned them before)......
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech 
So much for rumor mills . http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/12/panasonic-buries-rumors-of-plasma-tv-death/

Hauser said a month ago pretty much the same as what Okamoto said a few days ago.
Quote:
The ZT60 likely represents the last generation of Plasma TV development the company would undertake.

There's probably not going to be a huge generational difference next year. I wouldn't expect further generations after that.

He's flip flopping smile.gif
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Hauser said a month ago pretty much the same as what Okamoto said a few days ago.
He's flip flopping smile.gif

I'll take his latest quote to signify that we'll all be watching tv on ZT panels next year smile.gif

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I'll take his latest quote to signify that we'll all be watching tv on ZT panels next year smile.gif

No doubt!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
The C.E. Industry has become pretty fluid in general - new trends and new changes in the economic climate and even changes in the exchange rate etc seem to cause companies to change plans and strategies on the fly, and it seems to be affecting the TV industry over the past few years.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

So, this will really depend on what the wholesale buyers decide.

If they see Panasonic Plasma being a dead end, and not getting upgraded or developed anymore they may decide to pass on 2014.

When the end comes, it comes fast. And it's not always in the hands of the manufacturers.

The best thing Panasonic can hope for is Samsung keeps selling plasmas. Makes it easier for wholesale buyers to decide to carry both over a technology from 1 company that nobody will buy because of it.

buytme
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From my experience, I think its great Panasonic is getting out of Plasma Tv's.

I bought a new 55ST50 3 months ago, and it never worked properly from the get go. Finally got around to getting it into the Service Center (2hr drive for me) and their tech's determined I need a new "A" Board. And its backordered for a month. So they gave me a new-in-box 50UT50 as a loaner. I used it for 2 weeks when yesterday, in the middle of the Masters, it turned itself off, and will not turn on. The LED light flashes 7 times, indicating another board failure. I am not impressed with Panasonic quality. I will call the service center tomorrow and see about getting an entire new TV in exchange for my 55ST50.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv