Best Buy for calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can get a free calibration from best buy. But I've been, uh, underwhelmed by their technical expertise in the past. But if I can get it for free there, I don't see why I should pay someone else to do it. I realize it simply comes down to the individual doing the work, but overall, is it worth having Best Buy come out and calibrate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I had it done for free but I was not impressed. He rushed it and barely used any actual content to eye ball. However it was a UT50 with llfew options to tweak. YMMV.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There's a GeekSquad calibration thread over in the calibration forum that you might want to check out. Frankly, for free, I'd give it a shot. As long as they stay out of the service menu you can always undo their settings. Just write down your current settings so you have something to revert to should you not like heir settings.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Stick with a reputable traveling calibrator even if it's a bit more money as they will do a far better job. Even though you can get the geek squad free, I think it would still be a waste of time.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

There's a GeekSquad calibration thread over in the calibration forum that you might want to check out. Frankly, for free, I'd give it a shot. As long as they stay out of the service menu you can always undo their settings. Just write down your current settings so you have something to revert to should you not like heir settings.

I looked for a calibration forum and didn't see it.. Guess I need to look more carefully
post #6 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Had mine done on my Pioneer 151fd by best buy about 2 months ago. Was not and I mean not impressed at all. When the offer was emailed to me I said what the heck for free ill give it a shot . The gentleman was very nice and polite, but it seemed he had no knowledge what so ever, yet he claimed he had been doing calibration for some time and had calibrated pios before. Overall it took him roughly 30-40min, calibrated only one mode (Pure)..I said to my self what the ... It's taking me longer doing my own calibrations with the use of controlcal. Based on what I've read a good calibration could take upwards of two hours. As he wrapped up the "Calibration" he started talking to me about "you may want to upgrade your HDMI cable, you have a nice blu ray player and TV, you need a cable that can handle the speed...." Again I said to my self this guy is now trying to sell me a Monster HDMI cable, please. I thank him for his and soon as he left my house I jumped to the TV reverted my setting back to the way I had them which looked better that what he had done. By the way my sold settings were taken from posters here in the forum (D-nice, pioneer owners..)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudekennilol View Post

I looked for a calibration forum and didn't see it.. Guess I need to look more carefully

I have heard that they primarily go into the service menu when doing calibrations.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page