Panny S60 vs ST60, 60hz vs 96hz for 24p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 137

I'm looking at getting either the Panasonic S60 or ST60 and am trying to figure out how much of a difference there will be watching a 24p Blu-Ray at 60hz on the S60 (assuming I won't use 48hz because of flicker) vs 96hz on the ST60.  I currently do not have any TVs that display 24p at even multiples.  

 

Is there any examples or references on the web to help show the difference?  From your experience is it subtle and or does not make much of a difference?

 

Or is my only option to go try it in a store?

primetimeguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,448
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Its always best go go see the sets in the store. This way you can determine if the ST60 premium and features are worth the extra price to you. While not 100% it gives you an idea of what you will be getting.
Ph8te is online now  
post #3 of 21 Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Its always best go go see the sets in the store. This way you can determine if the ST60 premium and features are worth the extra price to you. While not 100% it gives you an idea of what you will be getting.

Agree, just a bit of a pain as I'll need to find a store with a Blu-Ray player connected directly to the set since I won't know what the house feed is, but more than likely not 24p.

primetimeguy is online now  
post #4 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kingcarcas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Los Angeles
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The only real question is do you need the filter for a brighter room? Then spend the extra money, $1200 for a 60'' that is probably better than anything so far is insane! It will eventually drop under 1K and heck I might even get one (55st30) You won't know the difference without both sets in your house and even then it's sure to be marginal. If you can afford the ST60 why not get the S65 instead? In a light controlled environment you don't really need the filter (but you do lose 3D)

Kingcarcas is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

The only real question is do you need the filter for a brighter room? Then spend the extra money, $1200 for a 60'' that is probably better than anything so far is insane! It will eventually drop under 1K and heck I might even get one (55st30) You won't know the difference without both sets in your house and even then it's sure to be marginal. If you can afford the ST60 why not get the S65 instead? In a light controlled environment you don't really need the filter (but you do lose 3D)

Yes, I will have a light controlled room and that was the exact thought I was having....I can get the 65" S60 or the 60" ST60 and was leaning toward the 65" of course but not sure what I'm really missing without the 96hz?

primetimeguy is online now  
post #6 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,448
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Agree, just a bit of a pain as I'll need to find a store with a Blu-Ray player connected directly to the set since I won't know what the house feed is, but more than likely not 24p.

If they are trying to sell you a TV most stores (outside of the bog box) will hook a blu-ray up to any TV you ask if they are able to....
Ph8te is online now  
post #7 of 21 Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I'm looking at getting either the Panasonic S60 or ST60 and am trying to figure out how much of a difference there will be watching a 24p Blu-Ray at 60hz on the S60 (assuming I won't use 48hz because of flicker) vs 96hz on the ST60.  I currently do not have any TVs that display 24p at even multiples.  

Is there any examples or references on the web to help show the difference?  From your experience is it subtle and or does not make much of a difference?

Or is my only option to go try it in a store?


The difference with the higher 96hz frame rate when viewing 24p BD material, is a slightly smoother less film like picture.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Member
 
HD2Blu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

The difference with the higher 96hz frame rate when viewing 24p BD material, is a slightly smoother less film like picture.


Ian

So what about 48hz vs 60hz if the smoothing effect is not for me. Do either produce issues ai should know about? I Just bought the ST60 and I never used the 24p setting before on my bluray player.
HD2Blu is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

So what about 48hz vs 60hz if the smoothing effect is not for me. Do either produce issues ai should know about? I Just bought the ST60 and I never used the 24p setting before on my bluray player.

Some have complained about flickering when using 48. 60 works just fine for me.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Member
 
Tim Akin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, I need to make sure I understand all this. I'm still on the fence as to which model I'm gonna get. The S60/S64 won't output true 24p...you have to turn 24p off in the player. The ST will handle 24p if you change to 96hz...48hz would be better to use if it didn't flicker. Is this correct? Does the VT have the flicker when using 48hz? This is a big issue with me....I want to know I'm getting the true 24p cadence and look when something was filmed 24p.
Tim Akin is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

Ok, I need to make sure I understand all this. I'm still on the fence as to which model I'm gonna get. The S60/S64 won't output true 24p...you have to turn 24p off in the player. The ST will handle 24p if you change to 96hz...48hz would be better to use if it didn't flicker. Is this correct? Does the VT have the flicker when using 48hz? This is a big issue with me....I want to know I'm getting the true 24p cadence and look when something was filmed 24p.

48hz will flicker regardless of the model, 96hz is okay but I prefer using 60hz with the pulldown active on my Vt50. The 3:2 is well implemented on Pannys

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #12 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Member
 
Tim Akin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, 24p on your player on or off?
Tim Akin is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

Thanks, 24p on your player on or off?

On and most of the pro calibrators recommend that config as well, if it were me I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in your purchase decision.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #14 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Tim Akin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, thanks again, that helps.
Tim Akin is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

Ok, thanks again, that helps.

yw smile.gif

Personally I would go ST60 because of the AR filter extra picture controls, it is pretty much the equal of my VT50 and it is the best set hands down I have ever owned.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #16 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Member
 
Tim Akin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm really leaning towards the ST but the price of the 65S64 frome Costco with 5 year warranty is hard to pass up......if my Costco even gets them.
Tim Akin is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

I'm really leaning towards the ST but the price of the 65S64 frome Costco with 5 year warranty is hard to pass up......if my Costco even gets them.

And that does have the filter from what I understand tough call and you don't care about 3d ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #18 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Tim Akin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't really know.....never have put on a pair of glasses, can you believe that? I can't imagine watching tv with those glasses on. My cable company doesn't offer 3d I don't think. Can you watch it from one of the apps on the ST?
Tim Akin is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

I don't really know.....never have put on a pair of glasses, can you believe that? I can't imagine watching tv with those glasses on. My cable company doesn't offer 3d I don't think. Can you watch it from one of the apps on the ST?

They have a 3d channel app but content is very limited mostly trailers demos etc. I don't use 3d often but it is nice feature to have for the kids.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #20 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Member
 
Tim Akin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So a 3d blu-ray player is the way to go if you want good 3d?
Tim Akin is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

So a 3d blu-ray player is the way to go if you want good 3d?

Yes imo Avatar is amazing, Life of PI was really good. You should check out 3d in a store before you decide tho it is not for everyone.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off