post #31 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranorman View Post

Thanks that helps.smile.gif I will go back in with a USB and work on my haggling skills to get it bumped by a couple of hundred dollars. The sales guy said it has been up for 2 weeks now so hopefully I can get the price down.

I had the slides downloaded from here
http://eaprogramming.com/downloads/files/BreakIn_Images.zip

Do you think that would work ?
Any colored slides would work. You can even grab the ones from the Panny Settings thread that D-Nice started. You also have the regular 15 days to return it like any other new TV purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

The St60 will have the better picture and not as soft on cable TV. You have to choose size over pq although the GT50 is no slouch.

As far as floor models. I would not even take that into consideration. If the TV was bad it would have shown already so it must be running good. Only thing to look for is IR or burn in. If you see IR, I would haggle for a better price and pickup the BB extended warranty for 2 years that covers burn in. Then you can make sure the IR comes out or at least be covered if it does not.

I had BB swap out my pn60e7000 because of a case like this and IR. I now have a floor model 60es7500 that has no flaws and runs great. Has hours on it and still get another year warranty on it. I prefer to take a floor model then a customer return. You do not know why a TV was returned and how it was handled. If it was just on display you know it wasn't thrown around in someones car, or truck or how it was handled in a home especially after they know it was going back.

Looks like we are pretty much in agreeance. As far as reviews go, the ST60 does have the (slightly) better picture, for sure. I know a lot of people say the 2012 Panasonic(s) have a "softer" picture. I don't have much to add to this. I never owned one, only seen them on the showroom floor. I have always liked the GT50 and VT50 PQ wise (from what I've seen) and definitely "looks" wise. Aesthetically I like both of those models better than the ST60. The main strength of the ST60 is performance/value for the dollar (especially the 60"). If you are getting an even better deal on an highly rated TV with a bigger screen, though... I say he should go for the GT50
post #33 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Looks like we are pretty much in agreeance. As far as reviews go, the ST60 does have the (slightly) better picture, for sure. I know a lot of people say the 2012 Panasonic(s) have a "softer" picture. I don't have much to add to this. I never owned one, only seen them on the showroom floor. I have always liked the GT50 and VT50 PQ wise (from what I've seen) and definitely "looks" wise. Aesthetically I like both of those models better than the ST60. The main strength of the ST60 is performance/value for the dollar (especially the 60"). If you are getting an even better deal on an highly rated TV with a bigger screen, though... I say he should go for the GT50
Yeah, the bigger screen is nice and it is not like you are losing much anyway even if the St60 has better blacks. You wouldn't even know unless you have them in the same room at the same time anyway.
post #34 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
Yes the PQ was great. It was playing on a dedicated bluray and that made it stand out with some really good blacks. My room has a few windows on the side but I watch TV mostly during the evenings/nights so I am good with that.

That was exactly my thoughts when comparing floor models vs customer returns.

Do you think a 2 year warranty would be good enough ? I hate to pay 30% of the TV's costs as warranty for a 4 year warranty.
post #35 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes the PQ was great. It was playing on a dedicated bluray and that made it stand out with some really good blacks. My room has a few windows on the side but I watch TV mostly during the evenings/nights so I am good with that.

That was exactly my thoughts when comparing floor models vs customer returns.

Do you think a 2 year warranty would be good enough ? I hate to pay 30% of the TV's costs as warranty for a 4 year warranty.
I would only worry about the warranty for IR and burn in. If the panel looks good I probably wouldn't even get it. You will get the 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. Also, if the panel is in good shape that should tell you it already handles IR pretty well.

What I would do is ask them how much a 2 year is then ask if they can drop the price and you will add it so your final price is the same. Otherwise that is your call if you want it or not. I don't want you trying to find me next year becasuse your TV died and you did not get the extended warranty becuase I said not to. Warranties give a good piece of mind. lol
post #36 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM

lol :-) I was about to place some calls to get you tracked down.

I will visit the store again this evening to check out the IR and burn in. Thanks again for your help in sorting this out....
post #37 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 PM

I visited the store and did tests for IR and found some IR ( ESPN logo on the right ) with a thin line ( not sure if it is burned in or just IR) . I haggled the sales guy and he said he can do the TV for 1350 and a 4 year warranty for 250. I asked him for 1300 which he said is a tough ask. I did not notice on some of the bright and dark scenes and could notice it on the bright white image that I had.

Would IR be causing long term issues or would this be worthwhile to get with a 4 year warranty ?
post #38 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I visited the store and did tests for IR and found some IR ( ESPN logo on the right ) with a thin line ( not sure if it is burned in or just IR) . I haggled the sales guy and he said he can do the TV for 1350 and a 4 year warranty for 250. I asked him for 1300 which he said is a tough ask. I did not notice on some of the bright and dark scenes and could notice it on the bright white image that I had.

Would IR be causing long term issues or would this be worthwhile to get with a 4 year warranty ?
It won't cause any additional problems. I would try and get it out within the 15 day return with Disney pixel flipper. See if it fades and then see if you are willing to keep it. It might come out quick, it might not. Their warranty covers burn in though so you can always go that route. They should change out the panel as long as they can get it. Otherwise you will get credited for another TV. It is almost a win-win situation. If it's still their 4 years from now you can just use your money towards something else.
post #39 of 57 Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM

Liked: 15
Hi: Ok here is my dilemma I have bought a 55ST50 for $1,030+ tax (I live in Canada) however it is a floor model on floor for about a year(Got it at Sears and bought their extended warranty for 5 years) or can get a 50ST60 new for about $1200+ tax or a 55S60 for $1,000+ tax also new, leaning towards keeping the ST50 as I’ve read about the “lag” issue with the 60 series and as I play NHL 13 on my PS3 looks like that is not good for me?. How is Sears in honoring their extended warranties from what I've read on line not very good at all so far! If anyone has had any experience let me know!Thanks
post #40 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 AM

That will work out better with the 4 year warranty. I will get it home and see whether I can get it out.
post #41 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That will work out better with the 4 year warranty. I will get it home and see whether I can get it out.
I also believe you have 30 days to add BB extended warranty as well as 30 days to cancel it for a refund but you might want to check that out with the rep.
post #42 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with eric3316 on all of what he's said.

Just take it home, see if you can get rid of it (or if it even bothers you during normal viewing). It may be actual "burn in" (which is not removeable), not just IR. Regardless, if you get the Best Buy warranty and it covers burn in... you can just get your panel replaced panel for free, anytime during the warranty period.
post #43 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Great.. Thanks Adam and Eric. I managed to bring the price down to 1300 and the warranty for 250.. Expect it to be delivered by this weekend.

The warranty will help me sleep peacefully :-) and the price with the warranty was my budget for the TV.
post #44 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Great.. Thanks Adam and Eric. I managed to bring the price down to 1300 and the warranty for 250.. Expect it to be delivered by this weekend.

The warranty will help me sleep peacefully :-) and the price with the warranty was my budget for the TV.
That's a killer deal. Congrats!
post #45 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM

i think the dual core processor is more important than most people realize. I use amazon prime ALL the time now. the dual core processor really brings the app up to speed.
post #46 of 57 Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

That's a killer deal. Congrats!
Agree, great deal! I'm jealous.
post #47 of 57 Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

So much for the deal. The guys who delivered it from Magnolia cracked the TV yesterday during delivery. They are trying to get an equivalent ( I have asked for the same 65 GT50 at the same price ) TV from other stores.
post #48 of 57 Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 AM

I just purchased a 60" GT50 "Floor Model" that had no "Burn In" that is visible and looks flawless, I paid $300 "out of pocket" with an extended warranty for an additional 4 yrs. The actual reason for that $300 price is because in 2008 I purchased a Samsung LN40A750 (floor model) for $650 plus $100 for the extended warranty. It developed a light shadow on the right side of the screen and I thought nothing of it for awhile and then I thought I would call and see what they would do for me about it. Well the LCD panel is no longer available to repair the set so they are doing a "replacement" which gives me the original purchase price to work with and I can choose whatever set I want. I love Panasonic Plasma's and I wanted an ST60 but they didn't have any floor models but they did have one GT50 left still on the "floor" and I watched it for about 90 minutes looking for flaws. I found none, so I purchased the 60" Panasonic GT50 for $950.00 and added a warranty for $150 for 4 years. So far I am quite happy with this set, I am having a little trouble getting used to the size. Compared to my Samsung it is freaking HUGE... I will have to deal with it I suppose, life is a real challenge some days rolleyes.gif
post #49 of 57 Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote: Originally Posted by RandyWalters

There have already been a lot of comparisons between the ST60 and GT50/ST50, and from a picture quality standpoint it's already pretty clear that the ST60 outperforms the GT50/ST50 in every category. The biggie for me is seeing so many reports that the ST60 is sharper/crisper than the 2012 models which was a big complaint among UT50/ST50/GT50/VT50 owners, and this softness is the only real complaint i have about my GT50. It bothers me every day. This alone is making my consider getting a 50ST60 and moving my 50GT50 to another room.

The THX modes aren't a big deal since virtually all GT50 owners who posted their settings and the calibrators who calibrated the GT50 used Custom mode instead of the THX modes. I used THX a lot for the first month or two but eventually went with Custom mode and a hybrid of settings others posted and it looks better than anything i've come up with using the THX modes.

The ST60's bezel is almost exactly the same size as the GT50 bezel so that should be a non-issue (both by the specs and my own visual comparison at BB/Magnolia). The 50" ST60 is exactly the same width as my 50" GT50 according to the manual, and only 1/4" shorter (which is all at the bottom of the TV).

As for reliability, Panasonics have been very reliable every year so there's no indication that this year would be any different.

The only thing i don't like about the ST60 is the lack of that 4th HDMI input - it's a problem for me and i don't want to use an HDMI splitter (i have a few of em and i really prefer to route my four sources directly to the TV so each one can have it's own specific picture settings which cannot be done with a splitter). I don't want to have two of those sources share one input because one or the other would have less than optimal settings, but if it meant having superior picture quality on my two primary sources 90% of the time i'd probably choose the ST60 over the GT50.

And then there's price - my local BB/MHT has some leftover 50" GT50's and it is priced $100 higher than the 50" ST60 (when i was there 2 days ago). I love my GT50, but if it were to fail under warranty and Panasonic offered to replace it with a GT50 or ST60, i'd probably choose the ST60.

Randy, have you any done any real world viewing of the ST60? I'm thinking about getting another 55" GT50, as opposed to getting a ST60 (same price basically).. I have heard that the 2013 line is more sharper, but i just got rid of a VT60 that had an even MORE soft image than my GT50..

Panasonic GT50 50"
Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
Samsung F8500 60"
(and a few crappy lcd sets). lol

Last edited by Tony1; 08-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #50 of 57 Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 AM

Maybe you guys can help me out. I am thinking of buying either a VT50 or ST60. The two things that hold me back from not buying a ST60 are 3D and the design. Can any ST60 owners tell me about the 3D performance and how it compares to the VT50.
post #51 of 57 Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbosch View Post

Maybe you guys can help me out. I am thinking of buying either a VT50 or ST60. The two things that hold me back from not buying a ST60 are 3D and the design. Can any ST60 owners tell me about the 3D performance and how it compares to the VT50.

If 3d is the main concern buy the VT50 it is still one heck of a set. Are you planning on getting it calibrated ? The 2d picture is basically a wash, stightly better blacks on the ST60 but the VT50 has a full CMS and definitely the better looking set imo. The ST60 has not gotten great reviews on 3d supposedly some of that can be mitigated by using motion smoothing.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #52 of 57 Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 AM

Well its a few weeks later and I am disappointed to say that the GT50 purchase I thought I had made didn't "pan out", so I ended up with a Samsung PN51D7000 and I really like the set but I found out that the salesman basically screwed me, because he told me that the D7000 was "last years model". As I later discovered a couple days later the D7000 is a 2011 model and here in Seattle WA it is 2013, that makes the D7000 two years old in its series. So now I am really pissed, I sold Heavy Equipment for many years and the one thing that is just not acceptable is lying to a customer about something so damned easily found out! So I call Magnolia and went back and forth on either a GT50 60" or a VT50 55" which is really what I wanted, yea its smaller than the 60" GT50 but it is the 2012 Flagship model and I really had a thing for that TV. Now this is my BIG QUESTION, I like the picture on the Samsung, it is beautiful, but the set is from 2011 and I don't want to start so far in the hole so to speak with a TV that is really going to be dated in another two years. Now the Panasonic is a 2012 VT50 55" and I have seen the picture but not for an extended period, and I keep hearing references to the "Picture being Soft" and I don't quite think I am certain to what is meant by this "Soft" aspect of the picture. Is this trait something that is really problematic, can it be "adjusted" within the settings to compensate for this "softness" and does this softness get worse over time? You guys seem to have a hell of a lot of experience with the Panasonics so I am hoping I can get some input on my choice to return the D7000 51" for the 55" VT50 considering that I do like the picture that the D7000 has, will this softness be that bothersome, I just don't want to screw up this purchase as my resources are limited, I have three Ex-Wives and it will be 4 or 5 years before I can get another TV once this transaction is completed, so I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass for the next four years as the ex-wives do a hell of a job kicking me when they get a shot at my ass. So any advice or assurance would be very welcome. Thanks for any help, Daniel
post #53 of 57 Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCal2722 View Post

Well its a few weeks later and I am disappointed to say that the GT50 purchase I thought I had made didn't "pan out", so I ended up with a Samsung PN51D7000 and I really like the set but I found out that the salesman basically screwed me, because he told me that the D7000 was "last years model". As I later discovered a couple days later the D7000 is a 2011 model and here in Seattle WA it is 2013, that makes the D7000 two years old in its series. So now I am really pissed, I sold Heavy Equipment for many years and the one thing that is just not acceptable is lying to a customer about something so damned easily found out! So I call Magnolia and went back and forth on either a GT50 60" or a VT50 55" which is really what I wanted, yea its smaller than the 60" GT50 but it is the 2012 Flagship model and I really had a thing for that TV. Now this is my BIG QUESTION, I like the picture on the Samsung, it is beautiful, but the set is from 2011 and I don't want to start so far in the hole so to speak with a TV that is really going to be dated in another two years. Now the Panasonic is a 2012 VT50 55" and I have seen the picture but not for an extended period, and I keep hearing references to the "Picture being Soft" and I don't quite think I am certain to what is meant by this "Soft" aspect of the picture. Is this trait something that is really problematic, can it be "adjusted" within the settings to compensate for this "softness" and does this softness get worse over time? You guys seem to have a hell of a lot of experience with the Panasonics so I am hoping I can get some input on my choice to return the D7000 51" for the 55" VT50 considering that I do like the picture that the D7000 has, will this softness be that bothersome, I just don't want to screw up this purchase as my resources are limited, I have three Ex-Wives and it will be 4 or 5 years before I can get another TV once this transaction is completed, so I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass for the next four years as the ex-wives do a hell of a job kicking me when they get a shot at my ass. So any advice or assurance would be very welcome. Thanks for any help, Daniel

I have never had a "softness" issue on my VT50, sharpness setting is 25 and is is good on all sources. The Samsungs have that percieved sharpness advantage always have but I have never found sharpness to be an issue on any of the Panasonics I have owned. The D7000 is still a very good set tho one of the very best from 2011. The VT50 is a great set too and I think you would enjoy it.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #54 of 57 Old 10-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Thanks for posting such an informative topic. Was wondering opinions on which TV you would purchase between the GT50 and the ST60 Both the 50 inch models) if they were exactly the same price. Seems like a lot of people are favoring the ST60 with price being one of the reasons.

I game heavily on my current TV, watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies.

Thanks!

post #55 of 57 Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsk View Post

Thanks for posting such an informative topic. Was wondering opinions on which TV you would purchase between the GT50 and the ST60 Both the 50 inch models) if they were exactly the same price. Seems like a lot of people are favoring the ST60 with price being one of the reasons.

I game heavily on my current TV, watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Thanks!

I don't know how the ST60's input lag compares to the GT50's, but i just upgraded from a 50" GT50 to a 55" ST60 and the ST60 is a big improvement in every picture quality category, with the biggest improvement being that my ST60 is much crisper and sharper than my GT50 (especially on 720p channels and sources where the GT50 was unacceptably soft), and the ST60 has much better facial detail and overall better clarity and more pop.

But since you game, you should read the Official ST60 Input Lag thread since some people say the ST60 is too laggy for serious gaming. I don't game so i can't comment on lag.
sheshechic likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #56 of 57 Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsk View Post

I game heavily on my current TV, watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Thanks!

I don't know how the ST60's input lag compares to the GT50's, but i just upgraded from a 50" GT50 to a 55" ST60 and the ST60 is a big improvement in every picture quality category, with the biggest improvement being that my ST60 is much crisper and sharper than my GT50 (especially on 720p channels and sources where the GT50 was unacceptably soft), and the ST60 has much better facial detail and overall better clarity and more pop.

But since you game, you should read the Official ST60 Input Lag thread since some people say the ST60 is too laggy for serious gaming. I don't game so i can't comment on lag.

Thank you Randy, I came here tonight just hoping you might have bought an ST60.

post #57 of 57 Old 11-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I'm in much the same boat, which is better from a PQ standpoint: ST60 or GT50.

My GT50 is defective after 5 months, Panasonic wants to replace with a new ST60.
I know the ST60 has the same panel but I am losing useful features (THX, 4th HDMI) and downgrading slightly on cosmetics.
I believe I'll may be gaining somewhat on the Smart TV features but I'm unlikely to use them one way or the other so that's a non factor.
This lag issue concerns me and the shades of gradation are better on the GT50....if that matters

I like the GT50 on THX mode, have tried various other settings as described here and elsewhere but never like them as much.
I must admit though I do find the picture a bit soft and if the ST60 improves on that whilst maintaining similar black levels I may accept the loss of features and go with the ST60.

Trouble is, considering what I paid for the GT50, if I take the ST60 in a straight trade I'm essentially paying full list for the latter.
I'll try and get the dealer to ante up a store credit for $300 to make it more fair.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page